No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

"I think they are creatively tired as well."
    Organisations get creatively tired all the time, they dont take a year off and watch the competition move forward. They hire new blood.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    The wheels and cogs at Bond HQ are rarely stationary.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited October 2016 Posts: 754
    The 'tired' factor is annoying. I would hope it was more a pat response to interview question, having already used it, but still. EON may need a high energy workaholic with eternal optimism who energizes everyone. It seems apparent that they are following Craig's lead though, taking the endless break, dealing with studio crap, but are probably willing to return whenever...

What I really want, beyond timetables, is someone in the inner circle to be looking critically at SP (and SF/QoS), and insisting "oh no, we can do better," and is anxious to prove it. I would love someone to ask Barbara and Michael and now Gregg, what their favorite Bond Craig movie is and why? ask Craig too...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    patb wrote: »
    "I think they are creatively tired as well."
    Organisations get creatively tired all the time, they dont take a year off and watch the competition move forward. They hire new blood.
    Creatively tired is bollocks. Sorry. You could always come up with new stories, new elements and new directives the way Dynamite Entertainment is dealing with the Bond saga, now. Hire new writers and new blood who know what they're doing instead of recycle the same people who have been using the same cues and echos since 1999.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In my view, they are creatively tired because they don't know how to make a quality formula Bond film any more. They are overcomplicating the plot (to paraphrase Craig). They've boxed themselves in to an extent with this reboot and the direction they've pursued.

If they choose to shake it up and come back with an entirely new team (one that embraces Bond formula and knows how to deliver a Bond formula film), then I can assure you that they will forget about being tired rather quickly.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How can they shake it up but still rely on the Bond formula? I thought the formula was what people wanted the Craig era to stop relying on, to instead give us more of CR and SF than SP? Considering how some find SP to be so derivative with its Bond staples all on display.
    It's all about the execution of that formula in my view.

SP was poorly executed even though it tried to be formula. It felt derivative rather than fresh on account of this, just like TND did. Moreover, Craig may not be the man to deliver on that, given he is the reboot Bond (the deep one who makes deep films).

A properly delivered 'light' Bond formula film on the other hand (with superior dialogue, action sequences, & tight plot) would be re-energizing. I personally have not seen a properly executed 'fresh' Bond formula film since GE, which coincidentally was the last one made during Cubby's lifetime.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    In my view, they are creatively tired because they don't know how to make a quality formula Bond film any more. They are overcomplicating the plot (to paraphrase Craig). They've boxed themselves in to an extent with this reboot and the direction they've pursued.

If they choose to shake it up and come back with an entirely new team (one that embraces Bond formula and knows how to deliver a Bond formula film), then I can assure you that they will forget about being tired rather quickly.

=D>

Hit the nail on the head, once again. EON clearly have no idea how to escape the mess they've made for themselves. The only proper solution is to soft reboot with a new actor, but I fear that Craig's popularity will tempt EON to stick the current course. Once the next film is a disappointment due to creatively being tied up in knots from the start, fans will blame EON for giving them what they wanted. Then the cycle will start again, with fans saying that Daniel "needs a proper send off".
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

=D>

Hit the nail on the head, once again. EON clearly have no idea how to escape the mess they've made for themselves. The only proper solution is to soft reboot with a new actor, but I fear that Craig's popularity will tempt EON to stick the current course. Once the next film is a disappointment due to creatively being tied up in knots from the start, fans will blame EON for giving them what they wanted. Then the cycle will start again, with fans saying that Daniel "needs a proper send off".

Crikey, not only have you predicted the return of Craig, you have told us that the next film will fail and also why; the reaction of the 'fans' and then what the future holds after that.

:)>-
    How can they shake it up but still rely on the Bond formula? I thought the formula was what people wanted the Craig era to stop relying on, to instead give us more of CR and SF than SP? Considering how some find SP to be so derivative with its Bond staples all on display.

It's a bit like Iambic pentameter. Structurally it's always the same, but with skill can be utilized with devastating variation.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't mind as fans being critical of EoN. I am frequently and I do agree with some of what is being posted here, but I think in this case the hold up is MGM with taking opportunity to pursue other projects.

If they are pursuing other projects not sure how we are saying they are taking a rest.

Also from Craig's comments I get the idea that EoN is indeed aware that SP did not quite achieve what they wanted ...and I don't mean just financially but critically as well.

And I know some here enjoyed or ranked SP higher and I know most don't take much stock in review sites. However the big three most often cited are very close in ranking ..around 60%.

I truly believe that more is indeed happening than we know.
  • RC7RC7

The amount of times I've said this, yet it always falls on deaf ears. People seem to create their own narrative that, through constant repetition, becomes a 'reality'. 'How dare EON not meet my demands, right now!'
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

=D>

But EON are sneaky though, right? Quite a switch in thought for you Mendes, because, when only a couple of months ago Turner's casting as Bond somehow seemed plausible to you (still don't get this), you were in EON's corner big time, saying gears were clearly moving behind the scenes and great things wold be happening in the near weeks (this was before June, mind you).
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I don't mind as fans being critical of EoN. I am frequently and I do agree with some of what is being posted here, but I think in this case the hold up is MGM with taking opportunity to pursue other projects.

If they are pursuing other projects not sure how we are saying they are taking a rest.

Also from Craig's comments I get the idea that EoN is indeed aware that SP did not quite achieve what they wanted ...and I don't mean just financially but critically as well.

And I know some here enjoyed or ranked SP higher and I know most don't take much stock in review sites. However the big three most often cited are very close in ranking ..around 60%.

I truly believe that more is indeed happening than we know.
    I agree. They are definitely doing background planning and high level thinking (including about plot points and what not). It's just at a very high level since nothing has been finalized regarding direction or distributor.

Keep in mind that they just finished a film whose entire plot was leaked to the press months in advance.

So I think it's clear that they will do whatever it takes to prevent such a shambles from occurring again, for fear of giving away ideas to competitors.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

=D>

That really is some crystal ball you've got yourself there @Mendes4Lyfe.
    Our old pal bjmdds used to have such powers. I wonder...
    @-)

=D>

But EON are sneaky though, right? Quite a switch in thought for you Mendes, because, when only a couple of months ago Turner's casting as Bond somehow seemed plausible to you (still don't get this), you were in EON's corner big time, saying gears were clearly moving behind the scenes and great things wold be happening in the near weeks (this was before June, mind you).

And gears quite clearly were moving. Either that or the "electric enthusiasm" with which Craig refused to give us an answer either way comes down to wishful thinking, wouldn't you say? :)

And FYI, EON are most definitely sneaky. More than any company I have come across.
    Benny wrote: »

=D>

That really is some crystal ball you've got yourself there @Mendes4Lyfe.
    Our old pal bjmdds used to have such powers. I wonder...
    @-)

What happened to him?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The thing with the older Bond movies, what made Bond so popular, was the fact that when you knew a James Bond movie ended you were going to get more of Bond. There was an anticipation. There was an expectation. Albert Broccoli delivered consistently. That's why the series is still alive to this day, because people are already talking about the next movie. Hell, they even knew the title. They just needed to wait two years for the next one.

Nowadays, or what seems recently, they aren't giving the public that expectation for a new movie. And when they do it's so far fetched and distant the public loses their interest.
    how much planning does it take to introduce decent encryption/password control? these are standard business tools and would/should have been introduced right after the leaks, not after the release of SP,
    you cant start using little things like that to explain production delays?
    I was referring more to not allowing any leaks or discussion about what they are up to in the press etc. They will probably go out of their way to keep the approach for the next one under wraps, even if they have made some progress on direction and concept.

No matter how advanced they are in the planning stages, nothing can happen without a distributor.

=D>

And gears quite clearly were moving. Either that or the "electric enthusiasm" with which Craig refused to give us an answer either way comes down to wishful thinking, wouldn't you say? :)

And FYI, EON are most definitely sneaky. More than any company I have come across.

The current state of play is clear to those who aren't blinded by their own fantasies, yes, but still people carry stars in their eyes. Dan's comments only serve to underscore how mindless and trivial an exercise it has been to listen to bookies and their "choices" for the next Bond for all these months, dear Turner included, a charge you were proud to be the face of, for whatever reason.

Now, months removed from those days of your baseless confirmation of Turner's casting, all we've got is a random photo of the actor taken at a party or red carpet where he's failing to properly fix his cuffs, and you being the butt and punchline of an endless stream of jokes.

One thing that hasn't, and won't change, though? Dan is James Bond and will be for at least one more go-around.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »

The amount of times I've said this, yet it always falls on deaf ears. People seem to create their own narrative that, through constant repetition, becomes a 'reality'. 'How dare EON not meet my demands, right now!'
    Spot on.
    This thread is getting a little repetitive
    Fair point but also remeber that many leaks are actually deliberate from the marketing people to give the media titbits or stories whilst not attributing them to a direct source. The media and us lot love all that.
    I'm not against EON by any means, but I think sometimes they kowtow to fans desires instead of doing what is the best for the franchise. Look what happened when they caved to fans calls for Connery's return, or when fans demanded that Jaws return. Then, years later fans laugh at EON "what were they thinking?!"
    jake24 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

Spot on.

I know many here who seem to expect another Bond film be financed, shot, edited and released by the time they get out of the showing of the new one.

What becomes more clear is that so many fail to grasp how the movie industry with all its moving parts actually works, such that they let their Bond fever and spoiled demeanor drive off their sense and critical thinking for a long holiday.
    patb wrote: »
    Fair point but also remeber that many leaks are actually deliberate from the marketing people to give the media titbits or stories whilst not attributing them to a direct source. The media and us lot love all that.
    I agree, but I think they will be extra cautious next time out, because the hack leaks were definitely unintended. That event probably has had far reaching consequences for EON.

=D>

The current state of play is clear to those who aren't blinded by their own fantasies, yes, but still people carry stars in their eyes. Dan's comments only serve to underscore how mindless and trivial an exercise it has been to listen to bookies and their "choices" for the next Bond for all these months, dear Turner included, a charge you were proud to be the face of, for whatever reason.

Now, months removed from those days of your baseless confirmation of Turner's casting, all we've got is a random photo of the actor taken at a party or red carpet where he's failing to properly fix his cuffs, and you being the butt and punchline of an endless stream of jokes.

One thing that hasn't, and won't change, though? Dan is James Bond and will be for at least one more go-around.

Coming on a little strong today, I must say.

=D>

Coming on a little strong today, I must say.

As you wouldn't understand, after a while the non-sensical comments of others continue such that a breaking point must be reached.

It's like being strapped to a table in a maternity ward full of a thousand whining toddlers while being stabbed by a hundred tiny pins for five months straight.
    "It's like being strapped to a table in a maternity ward full of a thousand whining toddlers while being stabbed by a hundred tiny pins for five months straight."

That would have been a great torture scene in SP