No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Risico007 wrote: »
    As for my Nolan comment since Hardy is one of three actors I want as the next 007 it's hardly a complaint. You musn't be afraid to dream a little bit bigger darling @tuulia
    Sorry I forgot you'd actually like Hardy as Bond. Normally people mention the "same cast" thing as a negative for Nolan - unlike with most directors.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Tuulia, the examples you've noted above are quite noticeable to me when I watch his films (particularly because they are such 'event' movies these days). It reminds me of Scorsese a little.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't want any of the actors he's worked with (apart from Bale as Bond or Caine as M or Murphy as a minor MI6 operative) in key roles in a Bond film. On other films, I don't mind at all. Perhaps I'm frightened that Hardy would become a front runner.
    Like I said it's such common practise that I don't know why it's considered particularly problematic with Nolan. Also, Nolan mostly does that with supporting roles.
    Besides, would a director really have that much to say about the Bond actor, anyway? I certainly wouldn't think so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I also don t get the Mendes/Nolan comparisons. They are not similar in any way.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wow, EON really appears to have taken its foot off the pedal recently. Either that or they have just learnt to be a lot more sneaky. No news in over 2 weeks! One thing, however has not changed, if you have noticed? Remember when Elba was the favourite, and Hiddleston? Remember those guys? No, no one does. We haven't heard anything about them in weeks, at least not related to playing James Bond. One name has been consistent in this regard: ever since he was first mentioned way back In December of 2015, Aidan Turner has been consistently connected with the part, right up until the present. And yet, according to comments left on this website by members, he still isn't the favourite? No EON only backs nobodys appartently. Well, it is true that EON did hire a nobody last time, but that is not exactly what I would call a trend. And even if it were, what is to say that EON wouldn't buck the trend in 2016, this year, by announcing Aidan Turner has clinched it. That would be a nice change of pace, and might actually bring back some of the excitement which has been slowly seeping out of the franchise since 2006.

A part of me really hopes Turner is cast as the next Bond just so that all your broadcasting is worthwhile and also because seeing you so obstinately stick by your hopes in the face of so many doubters would be a huge victory of "I told you so" for you.
  • I also don t get the Mendes/Nolan comparisons. They are not similar in any way.

Mendes said in 2012 that Skyfall was inspired by The Dark Knight.

http://www.indiewire.com/2012/10/exclusive-sam-mendes-says-he-was-not-at-all-interested-in-bond-at-first-took-direct-inspiration-from-nolans-dark-knight-films-250672/

Silva was similar in personality to The Joker, with a bit of Two-Face thrown in (when he took out his dentures).

Newman's score in parts of Skyfall (such as Bond hanging below the elevator) are similar to Zimmer's scores for Nolan.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

http://www.indiewire.com/2012/10/exclusive-sam-mendes-says-he-was-not-at-all-interested-in-bond-at-first-took-direct-inspiration-from-nolans-dark-knight-films-250672/

Silva was similar in personality to The Joker, with a bit of Two-Face thrown in (when he took out his dentures).

Newman's score in parts of Skyfall (such as Bond hanging below the elevator) are similar to Zimmer's scores for Nolan.

That was so unapologetically blatant that it took me right out of the film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Don't forget the one-in-a-billion escape opportunity pulled off by the Joker in TDK and Silva in SF.
    Or the fact that both of them deliberately got themselves captured as a major part of their scheme.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 45,489
    By this reasoning, John Glen is similar to Michael Mann.
    Yes, Mendes all but stealing from Nolan's work in TDK does not make them comparable directors.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 45,489
    The only director I can see being somewhat "similar" to Nolan is M. Night Shyamalan, but he is nowhere as good these days. Same as the only director evoking the style of Kubrick is Polanski. Again, not quite as good. By far.

As for Nolan and Mendes, never saw it at all. Except some plot points that were "inspired". That doesn t make them similar, as @Creasy47 said.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nolan and Mendes aren't similar directors. Sure, the latter borrowed lots of things from Nolan, but Mendes' direction is different. Nolan tries to play with your mind, while Mendes just tells a drama story. There's a difference.
    For me in terms of film versus novels it's a tough call. I am in no way a Fleming purist (I love benson and I plan on rereading Carte Blanche at some point as. I remeber hating the novel but I can't remember why I think it was due to the lack of sex but anyways)

I do feel a few things should be followed that Fleming put out though

1. Bond must be contemporary: Fleming himself always tried to keep bond of the times hence Ursula Andress showing up in On Her Majestiees Secret Service. IFP should take note of this (as the last few peirod bond novels were well quite bad although I haven't picked up Trigger Morris but after Solo I don't know I am very afraid I will drag through another bore fest)

2. Bond must be entertaining: again even though Goldfinger (both novel and if I am being honest film in certain parts) is boring Fleming still tried to be entertaining (something that can't be said for Boyd) the novels and films were well entertaining

3. Bond must be somewhat serious: even Fleming had some goofy characters and demises of characters (death by guano how the Moore films didn't touch that one is beyond me) but at the core of each novel was a serious down to earth plot that I feel the film makers lose from time to time (if I never have another world domination plot or satellite weapon in a bond movie I will be quite happy)

4. But don't forget to have fun: again even in fleming's novels the Spang brothers the death by guano as mentioned earlier Fleming did have fun with the character and so should the film makers
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I definitely think that Nolan would be interested in working with Aidan Turner. After he discovered Cillian Murphy he's been a fan of Irish actors ever since. According to the daily express Aidan Turner is 'done and dusted' for the role, so if Nolan wants in he'll have to learn to love the Irish wonder.
    The next James Bond Is Tom Hardy

I wish :)

Seriously though I don't believe Turner is the next bond
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Seriously though I don't believe Turner is the next bond

Agreed. If Turner gets it, it'll have been the result of winning out in a multi-tiered search for the next Bond, with a list of, at the very least, tens of actors if not hundreds. Then there'll be the screen tests , if he's so lucky as to be invited to do one of those. We are a long way from that point, especially only 4 months after the home video release of the previous film and no distributor moving forward

He could get the part, but it won't be because ofanything that the tabloids have said thus far, most of which has been based on the musings of a bookie. We're still very much in the opening stages of a long process, if there's even a search being conducted at all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, everything's changed. The gears over at EON must be running like the butter slicked insides of a grandfather clock. I was just talking to the babysitter of my neighbor's kids, and she told me that Turner was going to be James Bond. That seals it, ready the presses. Bye, bye Daniel Craig, hello random Irish dude.

:-&

Seriously, we're still falling for this stuff? In a world this dangerous, only proven by what's happened in Orlando, any stupidity or naivete on the borderline of stupidity must be crushed out. We've got to be on guard, folks, no matter if its regarding national/world security or Bond, and those who believe the word of bookmakers don't fit that ideal. Now, I'm not proposing a Hitler-like response where we wipe them all out; let's not get crazy here. I'm simply suggesting that, how about, every once in a while, we push a book their way?
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Wow, EON really appears to have taken its foot off the pedal recently. Either that or they have just learnt to be a lot more sneaky. No news in over 2 weeks! One thing, however has not changed, if you have noticed? Remember when Elba was the favourite, and Hiddleston? Remember those guys? No, no one does. We haven't heard anything about them in weeks, at least not related to playing James Bond. One name has been consistent in this regard: ever since he was first mentioned way back In December of 2015, Aidan Turner has been consistently connected with the part, right up until the present. And yet, according to comments left on this website by members, he still isn't the favourite? No EON only backs nobodys appartently. Well, it is true that EON did hire a nobody last time, but that is not exactly what I would call a trend. And even if it were, what is to say that EON wouldn't buck the trend in 2016, this year, by announcing Aidan Turner has clinched it. That would be a nice change of pace, and might actually bring back some of the excitement which has been slowly seeping out of the franchise since 2006.

So Turner is NOT a Nobody in comparison to DC in 2006. Interesting.
    And He is the one, WHO will bring back the excitement gone since CR days.

Your absence for a while hasnt made your posts any better. Still the same """"". IF by all means you cant help but be all over Turner spare uns the stupid remarks directed at DC AND others just to make your guy the shining saving grace of the franchise. Its ridiculous and nothing worthy of applause.

...and of course, Nolan would be over the Moon to work with him. Lets See your crystal ball

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It might be better if the thread only focused on real news and not rumors.
    Murdock wrote: »

Which there is none of. Over the last few months, I've started to sympathize and agree with those that called for this thread to be shut down until the real news and developments started pouring in.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Which there is none of. Over the last few months, I've started to sympathize and agree with those that called for this thread to be shut down until the real news and developments started pouring in.
    ...which we'll never get until 2017 at the earliest. Perhaps Summer 2017.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The thing is, it won't be weeks of not months until we get something concrete. If we're all mature enough and take every bit of information that doesn't come out of EON's mouths with a grain of salt, this thread will return to the innocence of which it was intended.
    Why are people expecting news this month, anyway? Some "scoop" from a "source," no doubt?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Looks to me like Elliot could have a part in all of this...

Creasy47 wrote: »
    Why are people expecting news this month, anyway? Some "scoop" from a "source," no doubt?

A bookie said so. Must be true then.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    There's simply no reason to close this thread solely because of the lack of maturity from the very same members. The mockery of this thread has become quite out of hand lately.
    Bond 25 Rumours and Speculation thread?
    Benny wrote: »
    Bond 25 Rumours and Speculation thread?

What about it?
    Perhaps that's what this thread should be renamed.
    Very few of the links to news in the 253 pages of this thread has been 'actual' news. Let's be honest.
    Nothing concrete or official really being discussed here; it's all bookie info and fake "sources" with inside scoops.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And you can't really detail a production when one isn't even going on.