No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    'Mission: Impossible' director Christopher McQuarrie reveals the Bond movie he'd want to make
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/christopher-mcquarrie-reveals-bond-movie-hed-want-make-exclusive-135754188.html

Mission: Impossible – Fallout director Christopher McQuarrie has responded to calls for him to helm a James Bond film, revealing the type of 007 adventure he’d want to make.

“I think that, as with anybody, I would be most excited to be there [making a Bond film] for a transition,” McQuarrie told Yahoo Movies UK.

“There are key moments within the series where you see either a change in era, a change in Bond, or a change in tone, I would like to be there for something like that.”

[...]McQuarrie says that if he did make Bond 26, he’d want to add a bit of levity hinting that he’d welcome a return to the lighter tone of the Brosnan Bond era.

“I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond,” explains McQuarrie, “but I’d love to see a Bond who enjoys being Bond, I miss that.”

“My first Bond was Connery, he was the gold standard. I’m actually a fan of Pierce Brosnan’s Bond. He had these little moments, these little grace notes where he was really having fun with the character, that were quite surprising, I really enjoyed that. But I like them all.”

[...]Bond, like Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt, has endured on screen, with both spies enjoying multiple sequels, and McQuarrie thinks the appeal of Bond lies in his timelessness.

“It’s that Bond lives out of time. Each one of those movies self-contain,” he mused. “There’s very little reference from one movie to another. It doesn’t matter who the enemy is, if it’s a Cold War… He’s so adaptable, he changes with the times.

“And when it’s time for a new Bond, you just get a new one. You don’t acknowledge the history, I think that’s great. Bond is an attitude, and it’s been great to see that attitude live on.”

I am now 100% behind this man directing multiple Bond movies.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    'Mission: Impossible' director Christopher McQuarrie reveals the Bond movie he'd want to make
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/christopher-mcquarrie-reveals-bond-movie-hed-want-make-exclusive-135754188.html

Mission: Impossible – Fallout director Christopher McQuarrie has responded to calls for him to helm a James Bond film, revealing the type of 007 adventure he’d want to make.

“I think that, as with anybody, I would be most excited to be there [making a Bond film] for a transition,” McQuarrie told Yahoo Movies UK.

“There are key moments within the series where you see either a change in era, a change in Bond, or a change in tone, I would like to be there for something like that.”

[...]McQuarrie says that if he did make Bond 26, he’d want to add a bit of levity hinting that he’d welcome a return to the lighter tone of the Brosnan Bond era.

“I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond,” explains McQuarrie, “but I’d love to see a Bond who enjoys being Bond, I miss that.”

“My first Bond was Connery, he was the gold standard. I’m actually a fan of Pierce Brosnan’s Bond. He had these little moments, these little grace notes where he was really having fun with the character, that were quite surprising, I really enjoyed that. But I like them all.”

[...]Bond, like Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt, has endured on screen, with both spies enjoying multiple sequels, and McQuarrie thinks the appeal of Bond lies in his timelessness.

“It’s that Bond lives out of time. Each one of those movies self-contain,” he mused. “There’s very little reference from one movie to another. It doesn’t matter who the enemy is, if it’s a Cold War… He’s so adaptable, he changes with the times.

“And when it’s time for a new Bond, you just get a new one. You don’t acknowledge the history, I think that’s great. Bond is an attitude, and it’s been great to see that attitude live on.”

Hear hear!
    He may be the right choice for Bond 26. It’s probably a very long way away though, having the transition of the Bond actor and all. Those transition films definitely would be the most exciting ones to direct I imagine. A clean slate can be a great thing. I’m really hopeful though that they can give Craig an above-average sendoff first.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I've said this previously, but they are really going to be spoiled for choice with B26. There have been quite a few directors who have expressed an interest once the changeover occurs, and I'd be fine with any of them for the job. McQuarrie is just the latest.
    Fukunaga for Bond26! - first to say it ;)

But yes, totally in agreement with @bondjames.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I suppose I'm cool with a lighter tone come Bond 26 as long as it's not border-line ridiculous like the Moore-era or Die Another Day.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I like Spectre but I wish Mr White was the real Blofeld.

Ha. That never occurred to me but it might have worked better than Waltz
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    boldfinger wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Nice sensible comments from McQuarrie there,maybe he is the right man to handle B26 after all.
    I like that he wants to lighten the tone more.
    Indeed, although I don´t trust him after M:I6.

I thoroughly enjoyed MI:FO but agree that it wasn’t as strong as the outstanding Rogue Nation; one of the problems was the culminating of existing plot threads, such as tying up loose ends with his wife, which weighed it down a bit.
    With a clean slate McQuarrie would be more than up to the task for introducing a new Bond.

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

+1. The guy is reading my mind.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,630
    Ana de Armas confirmed on her Instagram that Knives Out is halfway through filming. Looks like DC will soon go into full Bond mode.

h4t6hvwwuiz11.png
    Ana de Armas confirmed on her Instagram that Knives Out is halfway through filming. Looks like DC will soon go into full Bond mode.

Good. Here’s hoping it will be his best performance since CR.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2018 Posts: 1,756
    TripAces wrote: »
    Re: composer.

Here's a little nugget I heard at dinner. I was talking with a friend (who has some screen creds) about potential composers for Bond 25. I said Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross could be really interesting; it was just wishful thinking on my part. His reply was surprising: "That's not as far off as you think." His explanation...

When CJF was working on Maniac with Jonah Hill, Hill was also in the process of getting Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross on board for his directorial debut. Who helped him with that? CJF.
    peter wrote: »
    I have absolutely no problem with SF. It was interesting and unique. I loved the idea of the story, performances, the cinematography. I love anything that challenges our hero (and "death" will do that to you, especially a death of narcotics and alcohol).

Would be great. I hope it's true.

• edited November 2018 Posts: 17,335

McQuarrie is saying everything I's want to hear from a potential director – "a Bond who enjoys being Bond" (we really need that!), enjoying Pierce's Bond, and little reference from one movie to the other. Sign him now!

McQuarrie is saying everything I's want to hear from a potential director – "a Bond who enjoys being Bond" (we really need that!), enjoying Pierce's Bond, and little reference from one movie to the other. Sign him now!
    Agreed. It's about time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Back from my amazing trip in Barbados.

CJF's recent comments is exactly the thought process that inspires confidence in Bond 25. We may end up getting a better Bond film in Bond 25 than CR. Emphasis on may.

As for McQ's comments. Bang on. He clearly knows what he's talking about and ironically enough, that makes 2 American directors who seemingly have a better grip and understanding as to who and what Bond is, more so than the pretentious boring mess Mendes shoved down our throats. In any case, I think we have nothing to worry about regarding Bond's near future. Exciting and promising times ahead.

Danny Boyle left BOND25 105 days before filming was supposed to begin. Cary Fukunaga will begin filming BOND25 in 105 days.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

What the F is that supposed to mean, exactly? If McQuarrie's opinions of DC are based on tabloid BS, then, no, he has no business being behind the lens on any Bond film. It shows how uneducated he is.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 17,335

What the F is that supposed to mean, exactly? If McQuarrie's opinions of DC are based on tabloid BS, then, no, he has no business being behind the lens on any Bond film. It shows how uneducated he is.

I think he refers to this:
    Daniel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in-Skyfall.jpg

Versus this:

Goldfinger-james-bond-6182703-1197-716-1024x613.jpg

To put it short; a Bond who enjoys himself more than a Bond haunted by past events.
    A Bond who enjoys himself. As in Craig's Bond is miserable 98% of the time while the others enjoy themselves on and off duty. No way one could misinterpret that... Unless you're biased.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2018 Posts: 12,459
    I'd consider McQuarrie in the future. It sounds okay. And I am a fan of Brosnan's Bond. I am also a strong fan of Craig's Bond. But having McQuarrie could also give us another Spectre (mixed reactions from fans here). Anyway, I'm just looking forward now to Cary as director, more excited than I have been in years. And if it is great, I'd be happy for him to do one more. But one step at a time. So I'm not giving serious consideration to McQuarrie now, no.
    A Bond who enjoys himself. As in Craig's Bond is miserable 98% of the time while the others enjoy themselves on and off duty. No way one could misinterpret that... Unless you're biased.

Yes, he’s speaking about the character not the actor.
    There was that element in CR but onward he became more grim.
    A scene that illustrates this in CR is when Bond and Vesper are checking in at the hotel in Montenegro; Bond uses his real name and Vesper storms off furious at Bond . The girl at the desk tells Bond to ‘’ enjoy his stay’ and Bond cheerfully replies ‘I will’
    Not the exact dialog, but the point is Bond is having fun being Bond.
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but won't Eon have to go through the whole distribution deal process again once B25 is released?

Considering how long that took this time I don't think McQuarrie should hold his breath, although I'd probably be more that happy with him as a director. I imagine B26 is a very long way off.

I just hope Fukanaga's Bond film is so excellent, well renown, iconic, and legendary that it jump starts the franchise for future outings.
    talos7 wrote: »

A scene that illustrates this in CR is when Bond and Vesper are checking in at the hotel in Montenegro; Bond uses his real name and Vesper storms off furious at Bond . The girl at the desk tells Bond to ‘’ enjoy his stay’ and Bond cheerfully replies ‘I will’
    +1. Thank you!

And it's really upsetting for me that Craig's Bond evolved into a miserable and mourning man since Vesper's death. His fun moments started shifting into brooding gloom, thus starting to question himself and seeming depressed every 0.24 seconds. That doesn't sound like a Bond who's having fun and enjoying himself. If that wouldn't convince you (people in general who want to contradict the thought), nothing will.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    talos7 wrote: »

Yes. QoS hotel scene with Fields also. Craig has proven he can do the 'cheerful' side of Bond, and I would like to see some of that in Bond 25.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I have no problem with lightening things with the next Bond actor but we've had far more lighter films than darker, though listening to entitled fans you'd think the opposite.

Craig's only made 4 films so far, you'd think the whole series had been dark films but I certainly don't want to see Bond revert to OOT gadgets, cheesy oneliners and an actor made of wood like Cavill going forward.

The Brosnan era was of it's time we most certainly don't need a return bar GE to rip off Roger Moore entries with an actor with none of the class.

Kingsman fits the bill for that kind of nonsense, I admit the DC film have become dour, infact although SP supposedly was lightening the mood it came across for me as the most miserable one of the lot of that era because that kind of thing isn't for DC.

Though I don't want a laugh fest or Bond portrayed as smug millionaire like playboy we've had that with 2 Bond's already why do we need to return to it?

What is needed is a balance and yes Bond can be seen to be enjoying himself more but not to the point of the character becoming a laughable caricature.

The world has moved on, unfortunately some of the fans of this series haven't and have permanently got their rose tinted specs of nostalgia on.

If McQuarrie want to revert back to 90's Bond then I'm sorry I don't fancy it, think he should stick to MI, to much opportunity for comparrison.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    What is needed is a balance and yes Bond can be seen to be enjoying himself more but not to the point of the character becoming a laughable caricature.

The world has moved on, unfortunately some of the fans of this series haven't and have permanently got their rose tinted specs of nostalgia on.

If McQuarrie want to revert back to 90's Bond then I'm sorry I don't fancy it, think he should stick to MI, to much opportunity for comparrison.

No fan here suggested that. Why use these extreme examples?
    Shardlake wrote: »

One of the things he has shown in his MI films is the ability to present appropriate humor and a lighter side without sacrificing the integrity of a dramatic story.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2018 Posts: 16,333

Because wanting a Bond that has life in him like Connery, Moore or Brosnan means that "Entitled fans" want a Kingsman style Bond movie on Acid and LSD cranked up to 1000. [-(
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Murdock wrote: »
    Because wanting a Bond that has life in him like Connery, Moore or Brosnan means that "Entitled fans" want a Kingsman style Bond movie on Acid and LSD cranked up to 1000. [-(
    That's the logic of the Blindly Self-Appointed Anti-Brosnan Brigade. :))
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I think he refers to this:
    Daniel-Craig-as-James-Bond-in-Skyfall.jpg

Versus this:

Goldfinger-james-bond-6182703-1197-716-1024x613.jpg

To put it short; a Bond who enjoys himself more than a Bond haunted by past events.

Fleming's Bond versus Connery's Bond