No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

peter wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I don't think the next film will be a 'Spectre sequel' in any way. I think it'll acknowledge it, and the previous three films, but will work as a stand alone.

This can be a stand-alone, BUT themes 007 faces in 25, are perhaps re-visited in a full-circle kinda way; that the preaching of M in Royale, and his lessons learned, can now be explored, but, not as a rookie, but a seasoned 00-agent..

Yes, spot on. Craig will want to continue and complete his Bond's character arc. It makes perfect sense - and Cary is the man to do it justice IMO.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I find it likeable and rather suiting for Bond that he was a Snowboarder and wanted to be a fighter Pilot. But I don´t quite understand why filmmaking is a backup when your eyes get bad? Not that it would Show so far. Or is it just that as a fighter Pilot he can´t wear glasses and as a filmmaker he can?

You need perfect eyesight to pass as a fighter pilot. Or any kind of professional pilot.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Wait a second, so for me Craig’s films have been

Great
    Great
    Okay
    Bad

Does that mean Bond 25 will be terrible?
    I predict you will LOVE BOND 25, @JamesBondKenya, and it will be Great. That's just how I see it.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I don't think the next film will be a 'Spectre sequel' in any way. I think it'll acknowledge it, and the previous three films, but will work as a stand alone.

This can be a stand-alone, BUT themes 007 faces in 25, are perhaps re-visited in a full-circle kinda way; that the preaching of M in Royale, and his lessons learned, can now be explored, but, not as a rookie, but a seasoned 00-agent..

Yes, spot on. Craig will want to continue and complete his Bond's character arc. It makes perfect sense - and Cary is the man to do it justice IMO.

On that note, I expect the last scene of B25 to mirror/comment on the PTS of CR. (Yes, I know they did it in QoS.)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    INTERVIEW: Dan Balmer on steering Aston Martin beyond Bond in the Middle East
    arabnews.com/node/1406446/business-economy
    I question if the series will ever return to just stand-alone missions. Even in the early days the stories had only vague references to the other films and then practically none, aside from recurring characters and the odd reference to Tracy.

In this century, I can't think of any series - film or television - that does just standalones anymore. The Marvel universe in particular is expected to give its fans cameos, tie-ins and teasers to other related films. Even the MI series didn't have any big callbacks till the last 3 films.

So it's no surprise Eon is following suit.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    INTERVIEW: Dan Balmer on steering Aston Martin beyond Bond in the Middle East
    arabnews.com/node/1406446/business-economy
    This would really make a great movie if they romanticize the story events on how the Bond vehicle was recovered in years, how a team of members execute a perfect plan in the vein of the Transporter films (in a more realistic way) to deliver the Bond car while a group of contrarians and rivals attempt to sabotage it. ;)
    I dont want a standalone Bond until after Craig. His story needs to be concluded satisfactorily. Bring Blofeld back as the puppet master behind another villain. Blofeld has to be done right.
    If they never return to stand-alone missions, it's a shame. One of the things that attract me to the Bond films, is that they (or most of them) are stand-alone's. No major references to past events, and "clean sheet" every time around. To lose that would be a huge mistake, IMO. Just because The Marvel universe does it, doesn't mean Bond should have to.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    I really don't understand the frustration with bond films following a continuity arc today sure back then bond films used to be stand alone but we are not in that age anymore, Bond has to keep up with modern trends to stay relevant and so far the continuity aspect of modern bond films have worked out well except I will admit spectre felt like overkill when it came to bringing together the previous three films.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Blofeld can’t be done right in the Craig era because they made his brother and there’s no way to undo how idiotic that is. Blofeld needs to be rewritten so that will need to happen when someone else is Bond.

As far as continuing Craig’s arc, I think that was kind of a meaningless interview answer... I mean you can infer they’re not going to reboot the character with Craig in B25 and that’s about it.

There’s nothing wrong with continuity when it’s done well, but they haven’t so that’s the real issue.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    What if Waltz was not the real Blofeld?
    Ernst Stavro Blofeld is a codename for the head of SPECTRE/Spectre. ;)

Ha!

The standalone quality of older Bond films is definitely missed after what happened with SP. No matter how standalone or not Bond 25 ends up being, the most important thing is that it’s executed well and plays to Daniel Craig’s strengths. SP didn’t do that. Until I see more I’m going to stay cautiously optimistic. From everything I’ve gathered, Cary seems to be the right man for the job, and both he and Craig seem genuinely excited about it.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I really don't understand the frustration with bond films following a continuity arc today sure back then bond films used to be stand alone but we are not in that age anymore, Bond has to keep up with modern trends to stay relevant and so far the continuity aspect of modern bond films have worked out well except I will admit spectre felt like overkill when it came to bringing together the previous three films.

SF was a standalone, and it worked out great.
    Then some genius three years later decided to undo that.
    I find it likeable and rather suiting for Bond that he was a Snowboarder and wanted to be a fighter Pilot. But I don´t quite understand why filmmaking is a backup when your eyes get bad? Not that it would Show so far. Or is it just that as a fighter Pilot he can´t wear glasses and as a filmmaker he can?

You need perfect eyesight to pass as a fighter pilot. Or any kind of professional pilot.
    And as a filmmaker you don´t?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And as a filmmaker you don´t?

I am talking about strict rules.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Oh that would be awesome! The Internet would blow off enough steam to destroy the planet. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Oh that would be awesome! The Internet would blow off enough steam to destroy the planet. ;-)
    =))
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Blofeld can’t be done right in the Craig era because they made his brother and there’s no way to undo how idiotic that is. Blofeld needs to be rewritten so that will need to happen when someone else is Bond.

As far as continuing Craig’s arc, I think that was kind of a meaningless interview answer... I mean you can infer they’re not going to reboot the character with Craig in B25 and that’s about it.

There’s nothing wrong with continuity when it’s done well, but they haven’t so that’s the real issue.
    This.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    If they never return to stand-alone missions, it's a shame. One of the things that attract me to the Bond films, is that they (or most of them) are stand-alone's. No major references to past events, and "clean sheet" every time around. To lose that would be a huge mistake, IMO. Just because The Marvel universe does it, doesn't mean Bond should have to.

They only did standalones because of McClory. Otherwise they would have used SPECTRE through the '70s.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I think that Bond is able to have a standalone adventure while continuing his character arc. It could very much be just slightly shifting Bond's character without carrying themes and characters from the past four films.
    New Cary Fukunaga interview! He reveals his insight into the story of Bond 25

Cary-Fukunaga5_web-768x710.jpg
    https://entertainment.inquirer.net/305220/cary-fukunaga-first-asian-american-to-direct-007-film-talks-about-bond-25

Very interesting interview and probably the most revealing insight into what he is doing on Bond 25:

- The story will follow Craig's narrative arc that began with CR;
    - Fukunaga hints that Christoph Waltz may return;
    - Exotic locations confirmed; and
    - He's writing the script.

The most reassuring thing about this interview for me is that he's prioritising the narrative over action and locations right now. Get a great story and build from that. Have been wanting this for a long time. Great to hear.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,400
    I'm most curious how the writing credits will be decided.

We know that Eon were seeking a writer/director for Bond 25 after Boyle bailed. Fukunaga has written numerous projects that he has directed. Therefore, we can assume that he is going to be more involved in the script. From what we can see from the Sony leaks, it might be the case that Fukunaga is working on the first and second acts, whilst P& W are writing the third act (that was the case with SP only they had Jez Butterworth tidying up the first/second acts)

However, there have been a ton of conflicting reports on the script's progress.

A quick summary of the murky history of Bond 25's script:

- P&W wrote a draft in July 2017, however this has since been labelled a 'treatment' opposed to a draft.
    - John Hodge then was bought on to write the script off Boyle's idea.
    - That script was said to be entirely original and the P&W draft was thrown out. However, other reports have come out saying aspects of P&W's script were intact in Hodge's version.
    - Then Hodge is fired and Boyle quits. P&W are back and said to be working on an entirely new script which uses parts of both their old treatment and the Hodge draft.
    - Now Fukunaga is said to be working on the script.

I imagine the credits will look something like this:

Screenplay by Cary Joji Fukunaga and Neal Purvis & Robert Wade
    Story by Neal Purvis & Robert Wade and John Hodge [& Danny Boyle]

It'll be very curious to see if Boyle's name is attached to the final project....
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I am only guessing really but I bet if there was the core of a script then he is heavily reworking it to the extent there won't be much of P&W or Hodges script left. P&Ws writing is mediocre at best so that would have to go.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a loose YOLT adaptation and Cary has gone back to Fleming. It's always made sense to end Craig's era with YOLT
  • Getafix wrote: »
    I am only guessing really but I bet if there was the core of a script then he is heavily reworking it to the extent there won't be much of P&W or Hodges script left. P&Ws writing is mediocre at best so that would have to go.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a loose YOLT adaptation and Cary has gone back to Fleming. It's always made sense to end Craig's era with YOLT

I think the film will be a reworking of aspects of YOLT (which I imagine P&W leaned heavily on) and FRWL (which I think Daniel Craig is trying to re-do).

We know there was a rumour that Daniel Craig wanted to do his own version of FRWL - with Russia back in the news, I imagine B25 will focus on this angle. I can't see them bringing back Blofeld as the character was totally played out.

However, the older and more morose Bond from Fleming's YOLT and the Garden of Death could be appropriated for the film. You could still have a Dr Shatterhand and cast a Japanese actor to take the role.

However, we really won't know anything solid till casting rumours begin. Fukunaga has been on the film full-time for two months now. Believe it or not, but that's more time than Danny Boyle worked on B25 full-time! Boyle only finished shooting his Richard Curtis musical in mid-July and left Bond 25 on the 21st August. That's less than 6 weeks.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »

I proposed this scenario before. What if the 'real' Blofeld heard of Bond, and saw him closing in on Spectre. Thus he used Oberhauser to mess with Bonds head, knowing they had a past connection.

Would wash all the Bro-feld nonsense clean, and allow Waltz to step away with no issues.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Roadphill wrote: »

I proposed this scenario before. What if the 'real' Blofeld heard of Bond, and saw him closing in on Spectre. Thus he used Oberhauser to mess with Bonds head, knowing they had a past connection.

Would wash all the Bro-feld nonsense clean, and allow Waltz to step away with no issues.

Interesting
    Roadphill wrote: »

Yes, if they don’t want to abandon the character of Blofeld , clever writers could create a scenario where the quirky, koo,koo, Blofeld, was a surrogate of the real mastermind of SPECTRE.
    The key to making this work is to cast a strong , intimidating actor as Blofeld and truly make him an ominous, ruthless genius.
    Yes, some may see this as gimmicky, but done right it could work. Blofeld is to good of a character, and integral part of the Bond mythos to abandon.