No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I personally am in agreement with the gist of McQuarrie's comments. I may have a different opinion on which actor best exemplifies the attributes he calls for, but on the whole I think he's correct, at least when it comes to cinematic Bond.

I think there are a fair number of hardcore fans and members of the broader public who feel that way as well. Of course not all. Ultimately it's a matter of deftly balancing the violence and danger with a bit of the bon vivant, and the trick is for it to come across onscreen 'naturally' and 'not acted'.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Stop over analyzing guys, he just wants a more self aware suave bond as opposed to the blunt instrument we have now.
    It's not surprising his comments are being overanalyzed, he committed two sins for people around here: criticizing Craig and praising the Brozza.
    Exactly. That's as obvious as it gets.

Only he didn’t criticize Craig, on the contrary he praised him.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Stop over analyzing guys, he just wants a more self aware suave bond as opposed to the blunt instrument we have now.
    It's not surprising his comments are being overanalyzed, he committed two sins for people around here: criticizing Craig and praising the Brozza.

For real.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I know he didn't. He did say he loves Craig. But, as you can see up there, some members took it the wrong way.

Their reactions are testament to what FrankXavier stated.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TripAces wrote: »
    A Bond who enjoys himself. As in Craig's Bond is miserable 98% of the time while the others enjoy themselves on and off duty. No way one could misinterpret that... Unless you're biased.

I think by conceding he likes Craig as Bond, he is also taking a dig at him and his "slashing wrists" comments. At least, I saw that as the underlying message. DC seems miserable playing Bond and thus we have a miserable Bond.

With all due respect, I cannot fathom how you came to this conclusion; he is clearly about the character of Bond and the tone of the Craig era films , not how Daniel feels about playing the role.

There are no digs at Craig, not even implied.

Precisely. It's as though some people are deliberately trying to feel offended by things that have neither remotely been said nor implied.

Craig Bond is my 2nd favourite after King Connery BUT he's the most dour and most miserable Bond of all 6 incarnations of the character. Bond is supposed to be the man all men want to be and Craig Bond would be at the bottom of my list in terms of which Bond I'd like to be. I mean for crying out loud he quit the secret service in every Bond outing he's been in bar QoS where he went "rogue". Now look at his predecessors, they were swanning around the world like they owned it, getting up to all kinds of life threatening trouble and more or less having the time of their life as they did it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TripAces wrote: »
    A Bond who enjoys himself. As in Craig's Bond is miserable 98% of the time while the others enjoy themselves on and off duty. No way one could misinterpret that... Unless you're biased.
    I think by conceding he likes Craig as Bond, he is also taking a dig at him and his "slashing wrists" comments. At least, I saw that as the underlying message. DC seems miserable playing Bond and thus we have a miserable Bond.
    No, you're just taking an offense that someone might've accidentally taken a jab at Craig's Bond, so you're interpreting it the way you want it to seem like, stirring things up to suit your narrative.

Heaven forbid someone gives some constructive criticism to the way things are handled... or mishandled.

Bingo.
  • RC7RC7
    Nothing new here. ‘Light’ Bond is around for a while = I want ‘dark’ Bond and vice versa.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Nothing new here. ‘Light’ Bond is around for a while = I want ‘dark’ Bond and vice versa.

With clever, intelligent writing, and the right actor, there is no reason both can’t be achieved.

With clever, intelligent writing, and the right actor, there is no reason both can’t be achieved.

The ideal films manage to be a bit of both. OHMSS shows us a Bond having great fun, while experiencing the most dramatic conclusion of the series.
  • RC7RC7

Certainly. Wasn’t really my point, though. No one wants the same Bond film every time.

Certainly. Wasn’t really my point, though. No one wants the same Bond film every time.

I understand your well made point but it sparked a thought.

• RC7RC7

I understand your well made point but it sparked a thought.

Cool. I get that.
    12 days until the great Danny Boyle begins filming Bond 25 in an alternative dimension.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    edited November 2018 Posts: 243
    At least we got a great director who is not going to mess up the character of bond.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Roll on March! Fukunaga FTW.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    Thoughts about this interview:

-I love that AVTAK was Cary’s first Bond and it lett a good impression. Some inspiration from that underrated Bond outing for Bond 25 could be nice (a power couple again especially IMO).

-“As in any story, a character has to change in order [to have] a narrative.” Hopefully this doesn’t mean Bond himself changes too much.

-As for continuing from a CR arc, I wouldn’t read too much into it. Craig’s Bond has changed just a little bit in each of his films. We could just as easily get an SF-type film without much connections to the other Craig movies as a direct sequel to SP.

-“We haven’t finished the screenplay, so there is no way that anyone could know that. Those are two extraordinary actors, so if there is space for them in the story, I would absolutely want them there. But I don’t know yet what it’s going to be.” This is interesting. It leaves the door open for Blofeld (and Q, but he’s a lot more expected), but certainly is no confirmation or denial.

-Glad Cary is thinking about the action and locations (among probably other classic Bond elements), but is prioritizing the story. He sounds excited about it and I’m happy about that.

A standalone Bond film is what I’d want most, but if done well, I think a YOLT adaptation could be an amazing way for Craig to go out too. They mostly botched Blofeld and SPECTRE in SP, so a direct sequel is a little more concerning, but I’m going to stay optimistic whatever direction they go in will work out. Still lots of questions and interesting stuff ahead, but I get mostly positive vibes from this interview.

-I dig Cary's admiration for AVTAK too. A power couple in the mode of Zorin and May Day would be great to see.

-“As in any story, a character has to change in order [to have] a narrative.” True for most good stories, though for the most part, apart from Craig's era and a few others (OHMSS most notably) Bond really doesn't change throughout each story. It's just about the thrills and the escapist adventure. He's largely a static hero in the films.

-True, could go in any number of directions. I do like the idea that Craig's last film may have some connection to CR though. If the film turns out great that should really give a nice sense of closure to his era.

-I feel Cary is just being diplomatic in the interview here. I don't think there's any real indication of Waltz's return or even that they're considering it.

-I'm feeling (and hoping) that Cary is going to really deliver what they said they were going for with Spectre: a grand Bond film in the traditional mode.
    peter wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    When watching the films he's in, I've always found it strange they just didn't use Mr. White as the Blofeld of the Craig era. Not as the character, but as the returning villain pulling all the strings. Although he wasn't such a physical presence, he certainly came across as a really dangerous and clever character.

They could even had a scene with him holding a white cat just to make us fans speculate!

I've said the same thing. What a lost opportunity.

Indeed. He was the perfect villain to Craig's Bond. If Mr. White was revealed to be Blofeld at some point, that wouldn't be too strange either. He certainly had the look:

1000?cb=20151031150537

Most definitely a missed opportunity, Jesper was a great presence from the moment we saw him, even more so in QOS, every scene he's in he ozzes quality.

One of the best parts of SPECTRE but wasted with a daft storyline about him growing a concience, totally not tracking with the character we were introduced to in CR.

The modern day equivilant of ESB he most definitely could have been.

I found Mr White growing a conscience really strange. Just one of many issues I have with SP. Jesper Christensen was brilliant as always of course.

Agreed-- I didn't like that scene one bit. I found it was two very strong actors screaming at each other. I'm not convinced that either of DC or Jesper C bought the predicament Mr. White had found himself in as a conclusion.

I certainly didn't buy it.

I have to believe that Mr. White was definitely the modern ESB they were leading with in QoS. They should have continued on this track. It is far more an organic progression than what we got. And, if they went this route, with Mr White as the true ESB, I guarantee SP would have been a very different film/story altogether.

SP would indeed have been a very different film and I really wish that's the direction they would have gone. As far back as when CR first came out, especially that scene with White standing there and looking down upon Bond cradling dead Vesper, I felt like they were setting White up to possibly be his Blofeld (if in nature only). They so easily could have turned White into a fantastic ESB, it's probably one of the series' greatest lost opportunities that they didn't.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    'Mission: Impossible' director Christopher McQuarrie reveals the Bond movie he'd want to make
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/christopher-mcquarrie-reveals-bond-movie-hed-want-make-exclusive-135754188.html

Mission: Impossible – Fallout director Christopher McQuarrie has responded to calls for him to helm a James Bond film, revealing the type of 007 adventure he’d want to make.

“I think that, as with anybody, I would be most excited to be there [making a Bond film] for a transition,” McQuarrie told Yahoo Movies UK.

“There are key moments within the series where you see either a change in era, a change in Bond, or a change in tone, I would like to be there for something like that.”

[...]McQuarrie says that if he did make Bond 26, he’d want to add a bit of levity hinting that he’d welcome a return to the lighter tone of the Brosnan Bond era.

“I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond,” explains McQuarrie, “but I’d love to see a Bond who enjoys being Bond, I miss that.”

“My first Bond was Connery, he was the gold standard. I’m actually a fan of Pierce Brosnan’s Bond. He had these little moments, these little grace notes where he was really having fun with the character, that were quite surprising, I really enjoyed that. But I like them all.”

[...]Bond, like Tom Cruise’s Ethan Hunt, has endured on screen, with both spies enjoying multiple sequels, and McQuarrie thinks the appeal of Bond lies in his timelessness.

“It’s that Bond lives out of time. Each one of those movies self-contain,” he mused. “There’s very little reference from one movie to another. It doesn’t matter who the enemy is, if it’s a Cold War… He’s so adaptable, he changes with the times.

“And when it’s time for a new Bond, you just get a new one. You don’t acknowledge the history, I think that’s great. Bond is an attitude, and it’s been great to see that attitude live on.”

Sounds good to me!
    boldfinger wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Nice sensible comments from McQuarrie there,maybe he is the right man to handle B26 after all.
    I like that he wants to lighten the tone more.
    Indeed, although I don´t trust him after M:I6.

M:I 6 wasn't too great of a film apart from some of the action, but it may just be that as with Mendes and SP, McQuarrie had spent too much of himself on Rogue Nation.

Yes, variety has been the key to Bond's success over the years.

And we all have our preferences in the type of Bond we want.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541
    May be CJF can bring some energy and entertaining changes in Craig's last outing which we have been looking for a long time. No more Rogue missions or quitting service. Some old fashion espionage with new stories.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    May be CJF can bring some energy and entertaining changes in Craig's last outing which we have been looking for a long time. No more Rogue missions or quitting service. Some old fashion espionage with new stories.

Yes please.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 647
    Ranking my Brosnans and Craigs together:

1. GE
    2. SF
    3. CR
    4. TND
    5. TWINE
    ———
    6. DAD
    7. SP
    8. QOS

#6 is where the “bad” films begin but I honestly have an easier time forgiving DAD and QOS because those were never intended to be “great” films. I can just throw them in the bin somewhere as lesser Bonds. SP, however, was such a grand production with so much expectation (especially with Mendes returning) that it’s especially painful to see it become such a failure. It’s one of those films that you don’t want to throw in a bin somewhere because you can see some real talent behind the camera and a few really cool scenes, but on the whole you realize this film is a total mess and is no better than laser satellites in space, invisible cars, and glacier surfing.
    A little off topic but is there a thread to rank bond films?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

@Resurrection right here
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/78/bond-movie-ranking-simple-list-no-details#latest
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thanks guys.

We can't avoid off topic chat here, but some things really do belong in their own threads. Ranking the Bonds is one of them.
    Remington wrote: »

@Resurrection right here
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/78/bond-movie-ranking-simple-list-no-details#latest

Thank you I'll do my soon.
  • May be CJF can bring some energy and entertaining changes in Craig's last outing which we have been looking for a long time. No more Rogue missions or quitting service. Some old fashion espionage with new stories.
    Technically Bond did take on his mission in SF. After being presumed dead and having to go through physical tests, though.

You could argue he went against protocol when he took M with him to Skyfall, but M herself was ok with it anyway.

So IMO they'll have him take on a mission but there will be some "hook" to it.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

We can't avoid off topic chat here, but some things really do belong in their own threads. Ranking the Bonds is one of them.
    Technically Bond did take on his mission in SF. After being presumed dead and having to go through physical tests, though.

You could argue he went against protocol when he took M with him to Skyfall, but M herself was ok with it anyway.

So IMO they'll have him take on a mission but there will be some "hook" to it.

I just want less melodramatic and more hardcore bond which was missing for quite some time.
  • I just want less melodramatic and more hardcore bond which was missing for quite some time.
    Oh, I agree with you. I think that was a Mendes "thing" so we will get something different with Fukunaga IMO.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I feel that Dench will make a reappearance in some way in B25.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    echo wrote: »
    Hopefully no more than a painting in M's office.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    jake24 wrote: »

Probably more than that, given her history with Fukunaga.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    jake24 wrote: »

Probably more than that, given her history with Fukunaga.
    SF and SP will turn out to be a bad dream Bond had, and we'll pick up where we left off with QoS and that Judi's M is still alive. ;)