No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• What a sad way to close anyone's tenure as Bond if someone who is a fan of the DAD-like movies such as Bart Layton gets the job to direct the next movie.

There's a lot at stake to risk having a newcomer, unlike Marc Forster, and definitely not Sam Mendes, to direct Bond 25.
  • Recap of the Bond 25 writing process, contradictions and all.

http://bit.ly/2Otld3g
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    What a sad way to close anyone's tenure as Bond if someone who is a fan of the DAD-like movies such as Bart Layton gets the job to direct the next movie.

If Bart Layton is a fan of DAD, then I’m 100% behind him directing B25. Bond needs to have some fun again.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm fairy certain Bond 25 won't arrive until 2020.
    This. Despite what @peter and @ColonelSun have been telling us for weeks, it's getting more and more obvious that there will be a delay. @Mendes4Lyfe was right again.

And you absolutely know that a director hasn’t been hired and is actively working on preproduction and polishing the script, all in preparation for a December/ January start date?

There is approximately a 0% chance a director has been hired. Entertainment journalists are hawking around the project and Eon are leaking info to their preferred outlets.

We're witnessing everything in real time. If Eon enter discussions with a director or sign a director. They will announce them immediately.

The days of Bond 25 operating in secret are over. The film has a lot of 'heat' and everything and anything is a story.

I mean, the fact Eon had had scheduled meetings with Layton and Clarkson was 'news'. The fact that Eon planned to watch White Boy Rick was 'news'.

the film doesn't have the luxury of operating in secret anymore, outlets like deadline, Hollywood Reporter and Variety are actively chasing updates.

Hence why a delay seems likely. I'm as unhappy as anyone else but the project is on life-support currently. The sensible thing to do is either delay or go back to Danny Boyle. The latter seems v unlikely.

They won't announce director's name immediately, have you forgot what happened with Boyle would they risk to do that again no definitely not they may announce it before a week of filming commence. If film was being delayed we may have heard any official statement by now and since we didn't it's very clear. About the filming starts in December 3 they can still start shooting a few scenes with other actors at studios which they are confident will be in final script.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619

So your inside source for your assumptions is whom?

Approximately 0%? Based on what hard, factual information?
    All of this is your opinion based on no actual, variified information.

All Uninformed speculation, assumption, and guesses.

And sure, you could be right.m, but nearly 0%, that’s ludicrous.
    @Pierce2Daniel is 100% correct, after EON has hired the director of BOND 25 we will know within 24 hours that the director has been hired, whether EON want us to know or not. This is not speculation, assumtion or a guess. This is common sense.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    What a sad way to close anyone's tenure as Bond if someone who is a fan of the DAD-like movies such as Bart Layton gets the job to direct the next movie.
    If Bart Layton is a fan of DAD, then I’m 100% behind him directing B25. Bond needs to have some fun again.
    As long as he gets the CGI right, I've no complaints. :))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,890

@Pierce2Daniel is 100% correct, after EON has hired the director of BOND 25 we will know within 24 hours that the director has been hired, whether EON want us to know or not. This is not speculation, assumtion or a guess. This is common sense.

I strongly disagree; now you are making an assumption and speculating . EON, and the person hired, may have it’s own reasons to not letting it be known immediately and if they want it so, would keep it among a very small number of people; it’s only common sense. To think we would know whether they wanted us to know or not is fan-boy arrogance.

Recap of the Bond 25 writing process, contradictions and all.

Thank you very much indeed, @AlexanderWaverly. Such well-researched overviews are the reason I like This site.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767

Dude, you crack me up :-)) :-)) :-))

Guys, really, don´t you feel dumb yourself not reading Reports correctly and judging someone based on wrong Information? Layton was quoted that he enjoyed the Lotus in TSHLM and Roger Moore when he saw the film as a kid. He didn´t Mention DAD at all. A lot of People love TSHLM and hate DAD.

This site could be the authoritative Information source for all Things Bond. Instead, People try to give the worst Tabloids a run for their Money.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    boldfinger wrote: »

You are not adding anything to the discussion.
  • Hate to tell you, but @PanchitoPistoles is right. Believe me, it pains me to write that.

Bond 25 does not have the luxury afforded to it beforehand. People are very interested in the project and any/every development is newsworthy.

People from eon and big talent agencies are leaking like crazy. If a director is hired then we’d know almost instantaneously.

It’s how the industry works. You don’t have to be @ColonelSun or @peter to know that. Just look at how news is distributed through the trades on a daily basis. It’s just the process.

Anyone, suggesting any differently is showing as much industry and commercial awareness as those muppets on James Bond Radio. The film industry is bigger than this film franchise, guys.

The fact that there has been no trade update for two weeks in a time where updates are critical and the film is surviving day to day is condemning. All evidence is suggesting a delay.

Also, someone ignorantly attempted to suggest I was contradicting myself because I had speculated that Layton had the job. Go back and read my post and you’d see I said that I was being overly optimistic and the reality was the film is delayed.
    There are delays and there are delays; one means a substantial change the other minor. At this point no delay has been announced so hopefully we have the latter of the two and no change of release date.
    When Boyle and hodge were rumored to be in bond 25 in Feb 2018 and later in March Boyle confirmed that hodge is writing a script on his idea which means they were involved months before it was rumored . Did any Hollywood reporter or Entertainment journalist had slightest idea back in Nov-Dec 2017 when they were already involved, I Don't recall any.
    Consider this scenario. What if the identity of the director is held until the start of start of shooting presser? It would create a tremendous buzz; The coverage would be immense, Barbara introduces the cast, then together she and Daniel introduced the director.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400
    When Boyle and hodge were rumored to be in bond 25 in Feb 2018 and later in March Boyle confirmed that hodge is writing a script on his idea which means they were involved months before it was rumored . Did any Hollywood reporter or Entertainment journalist had slightest idea back in Nov-Dec 2017 when they were already involved, I Don't recall any.

I'd hate to it, but in February 'no one in the industry was paying to much attention to Bond 25 or Danny Boyle's involvement' .

It was definitely a hot scoop for Justin Kroll from Variety, but it wasn't something many were tracking.

Consider how the circumstances have changed:

Oscar-winning filmmaker bails on huge franchise film after 8 months of development and with 3 months before filming was to commence.

That's a 'headline'. Boyle's departure caused huge ripples (especially in the UK press). It even got on the front-page of some of the national papers.

You had outlets such as the Telegraph (not known for their Hollywood insider scoops) running information of the behind the scenes turmoil. Big entertainment trade papers were no longer discussing who was in 'talks' or 'discussions'. The big story a fortnight ago from Justin Kroll was that Eon had scheduled some meeting and planned to watch White Boy Rick.

These are not typical headlines. It's very unusual to hear read such articles about a film that is supposed to go into production in 3 months time.

However, as we stand that was the last update. Eon may very well be figuring out a deal with Clarkson, Demange or Layton and it's taken two weeks to come together. Alternatively, the silence is indicative of how the thing has stalled. Both are as likely as each other at this moment, at least until the next trade report or Eon announcement.

I'd hate to it, but in February 'no one in the industry was paying to much attention to Bond 25 or Danny Boyle's involvement' .

It was definitely a hot scoop for Justin Kroll from Variety, but it wasn't something many were tracking.

Oscar-winning filmmaker bails on huge franchise film after 8 months of development and with 3 months before filming was to commence.

That's a 'headline'. Boyle's departure caused huge ripples (especially in the UK press). It even got on the front-page of some of the national papers.

You had outlets such as the Telegraph (not known for their Hollywood insider scoops) running information of the behind the scenes turmoil. Big entertainment trade papers were no longer discussing who was in 'talks' or 'discussions'. The big story a fortnight ago from Justin Kroll was that Eon had scheduled some meeting and planned to watch White Boy Rick.

These are not typical headlines. It's very unusual to hear read such articles about a film that is supposed to go into production in 3 months time.

However, as we stand that was the last update. Eon may very well be figuring out a deal with Clarkson, Demange or Layton and it's taken two weeks to come together. Alternatively, the silence is indicative of how the thing has stalled. Both are as likely as each other at this moment, at least until the next trade report or Eon announcement.

It did cause a lot of buzz after Boyle departure but doesn't necessarily means that they haven't been tracking bond 25 before, almost every week I used to see some rumour on net in 2017 as well, every single move from franchise like bond gets headlines it's nothing new. Don't believe me check this link which was posted above.

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    @Pierce2Daniel I didn't mean to sound like you were contradicting yourself at all I guess I misread your earlier post about bart layton last thing I was trying to do was be ignorant.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited September 2018 Posts: 292
    Univex wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Fan frustration is a result of fan neglect and fan disappointment. Treat the fans with respect and give them what they want and they'll be satiated and stop complaining. Ignore them or let them down, and you will feel their wrath. C'est la vie. The internet isn't going anywhere and neither are opinionated enfranchised and entitled fans. The 80's is long gone.

We all want the best for this franchise, and these people have a 'golden' opportunity to show us all how good they are next year. The ball's firmly in their court. Bring on the promised 'high'.

Surely the notion of "fan frustration" actually comes from "fan entitlement", "fan impatience" and - sorry - an often fan-tasy understanding of how films are made, negotiated, written, commissioned, produced, directed, edited and marketed.

I'd say a bit of both. What is being a fan if not felling entitled in some fashion? Even if that is a fallacy, surely we must agree that it's part of the link. Not in a Annie Wilkes kind of way, of course ;) And fan neglect is a nasty thing in the film business. We don't need to be catered, that would be blowing it out of proportion. And I'm not saying I need to scold or hug BB and MGW personally. I just feel they could have a person responsible for keeping us in the loop, instead of having us depend on some Bamingboyding person.

I feel that, since the danielcraignotbon debacle, they have lost the desire to reach out to the fan base, and in some degree, they have gained some fear of doing so.

Just playing devil's advocate here... why should movie fans be in a "loop" - when movie production is such a precarious, ever-shifting, ever-evolving enterprise with so many legalities, circumstances, creativities, logistics and luck to factor in? Just because fans aren't drip-fed every vowel of news or development doesn't mean there isn't any.

Personally, I would also suggest folk forget the danielcraignotBond thing. It wasn't maybe what folk read it as. Nor did it - 13 years later - clip the wings of anything.

There is also no such thing as "fan neglect", just "fan impatience". In the case of 007 onscreen, I don't class 24 films over 55 years as "neglect".
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I fear some of us are banging our heads against the wall @CatchingBullets
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Benny wrote: »
    I fear some of us are banging our heads against the wall @CatchingBullets

The thing about common sense is that it's extremely rare, @Benny
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Bart Layton certainly did not say anything about DAD.

He did mention being a fan of TSWLM, however. If that's the type of film he would envision for Bond 25 then snap him up quick!
    Roadphill wrote: »

He did mention being a fan of TSWLM, however. If that's the type of film he would envision for Bond 25 then snap him up quick!

Craig would not sit well in a TSWLM fantasy-type Bond. SP was the closest his films have come to that tone and style, and it was, IMO, his least successful Bond film - creatively speaking.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Craig would not sit well in a TSWLM fantasy-type Bond. SP was the closest his films have come to that tone and style, and it was, IMO, his least successful Bond film - creatively speaking.

I agree 're TSWLM type movie for Craig!
    Regarding TSWLM, I believe Layton said it was the first one he saw, so he was fond of it..but "there were better ones!" I didn't read any mention of DAD!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Regarding TSWLM, I believe Layton said it was the first one he saw, so he was fond of it..but "there were better ones!" I didn't read any mention of DAD!
    I also agree that Craig had better stay away from fantastical larger than life Bond films. We don't want another mess on our hands.

RE: Layton and TSWLM - my understanding is that he loves the film and Moore, but acknowledges that there may be better ones (don't know if EON impressed that upon him during their discussions because it seemed like a forced comment to me).

I'm very grateful that he made no mention of DAD!!
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    bondjames wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I also agree that Craig had better stay away from fantastical larger than life Bond films. We don't want another mess on our hands.

RE: Layton and TSWLM - my understanding is that he loves the film and Moore, but acknowledges that there may be better ones (don't know if EON impressed that upon him during their discussions because it seemed like a forced comment to me).

I'm very grateful that he made no mention of DAD!!

Die_Another_Day29.png
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Something that just came to mind re: Layton and Clarkson in comparison to Boyle: We knew that Boyle was an aficionado of Fleming and that he had grown up with and read the books. From Layton's comments, he is more of a fan of the films and given his age, the 70's films in particular. Do we even know if he has read Fleming? Same goes for Clarkson.

This could suggest a shift in approach, but then again it might not and I'm not sure how relevant it is.
    As long as B25 is as enjoyable as Mission Impossible Fallout with Daniel Craig actually doing his own stunts I don't care anymore who directs.
    Who knows, when announced, the director may be a name out of left field, one that isn’t on the radar. How many people here were tossing around the name of Daniel Craig prior to his being announced as Bond?
    Who knows, when announced, the director may be a name out of left field, one that isn’t on the radar. How many people here were tossing around the name of Daniel Craig prior to his being announced as Bond?
    Craig was definitely on the list as I recall. I didn't think he would get it, but I distinctly remember his name being bandied about.

You could be right, but I think it's going to be a name we've heard about, even if it may not be one of the two recent ones. Mackenzie for example is still a possibility. Of course I have nothing to base that on except a hunch.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote: »

You are not adding anything to the discussion.
    Hey, I was just Posting my Sentiment, as does any other member :-).

@Pierce2Daniel, and why can´t it be that Boyle´s Exit made Headlines more because of the Oscar-Winning director element than the Bond element?