No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,512
    bondjames wrote: »

Fan frustration is a result of fan neglect and fan disappointment. Treat the fans with respect and give them what they want and they'll be satiated and stop complaining. Ignore them or let them down, and you will feel their wrath. C'est la vie. The internet isn't going anywhere and neither are opinionated enfranchised and entitled fans. The 80's is long gone.

We all want the best for this franchise, and these people have a 'golden' opportunity to show us all how good they are next year. The ball's firmly in their court. Bring on the promised 'high'.

Surely the notion of "fan frustration" actually comes from "fan entitlement" "fan impatience" and - sorry - an often fan-tasy understanding of how films are made, negotiated, written, commissioned, produced, directed, edited and marketed.

Succinct and spot on.

Unfortunately some feel happy to facilitate and encourage the ‘entitled’ amongst us. I’ve seen many of your posts go ignored, despite your insight, at the expense of making sure the village idiots are given their platform.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Fan frustration is a result of fan neglect and fan disappointment. Treat the fans with respect and give them what they want and they'll be satiated and stop complaining. Ignore them or let them down, and you will feel their wrath. C'est la vie. The internet isn't going anywhere and neither are opinionated enfranchised and entitled fans. The 80's is long gone.

We all want the best for this franchise, and these people have a 'golden' opportunity to show us all how good they are next year. The ball's firmly in their court. Bring on the promised 'high'.

Surely the notion of "fan frustration" actually comes from "fan entitlement" "fan impatience" and - sorry - an often fan-tasy understanding of how films are made, negotiated, written, commissioned, produced, directed, edited and marketed.

Clear, concise, with laser precision.
    Thank you!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,665

I'd say a bit of both. What is being a fan if not felling entitled in some fashion? Even if that is a fallacy, surely we must agree that it's part of the link. Not in a Annie Wilkes kind of way, of course ;) And fan neglect is a nasty thing in the film business. We don't need to be catered, that would be blowing it out of proportion. And I'm not saying I need to scold or hug BB and MGW personally. I just feel they could have a person responsible for keeping us in the loop, instead of having us depend on some Bamingboyding person.

I feel that, since the danielcraignotbon debacle, they have lost the desire to reach out to the fan base, and in some degree, they have gained some fear of doing so.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    They'll feel it when impressiins are less than stellar and their BO numbers go back to hovering around the $600M Mark and their costs are inexplicably still shooting past $200M.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Bond is not MCU and it doesn't have the ability to knock them out at that rate.

Ain't that the truth and that's down to a lack in organization. Marvel Studios in its infancy before being bought by Disney were organised enough to have a plan, mostly stick to it and keep things running smoothly; but that's what happens when you have a producer on their p's and q's.
    Also this constant comparison to Mission Impossible, Bond has been around for much longer has far more of a legacy.

And? So what? This is something a lot of Bond fans keep falling back on and its a weak point when discussing the current state of the Bond movies and what's to come when there's been a noticeable drop in quality and creativity, particularly in the midst of a landscape where films and TV shows are doing what Bond should be doing and they're doing it better. Your Goldfingers, Thunderballs etc were almost 60 years ago; this is 2018 where in the last almost 40 years there have only been THREE standout Bond films. This is why guys like Sam Mendes riddled his Bond films with the whole cheap nostalgia factor and the producers allowed it because that's all they can really offer, recalling their hey day and thinking that's what audiences want to see. That whole Blofeld reveal in SP which failed to resonate or illicit any sort of positive reaction from audiences is a key example of this. No one cared. It's all well and good having a legacy and having stayed long in the game but if you plan on STAYING you need to switch up and adapt, especially in this new climate and landscape where even television is competing with and in many instances surpassing movies wgennit comes to overall production values.

Bond doesn't need to reinvent the wheel or do anything too drastic. Bond simply needs to tell an interesting and engaging story, with legit stakes and leaving out dumb gags and woefully flat one liners and bring on great action that we can actually see and appreciate.
    James Bond films primarily about the character and his world, no actor is bigger than that, it's had it's ups and downs.

Whereas MI is totally hinged on one factor, Tom Cruise, an actor totally driven by his career, he has no other thing in his life and he's a living breathing loony tune.

Don't see why Tom Cruise's personal life needs to be brought up when the topic at hand is the craft of film making. Its a bit rich when some fans on here call out others for having an opinion on the producers but those same people are quick to talk reckless about Cruise who produces and stars in these MI films. The fact that Cruise is the main draw is a testament to his star power and the legacy he's carved/cultivating for the MI series. Take Cruise out of the MI films and his other films are more successful than any work any Bond actor does outside of Bond. One may not like the guy for whatever reason but his hustle is respected. I can't remember where I read this but as it happens the MI theme music is now more recognised than the Bond theme...no one should be surprised by this.
    Though as much as I dislike him can't personally understand his continued adoration by some here and elsewhere. That being said I accept he is and is still a bona fide movie star.

What's not to understand? People enjoy his work. He's a solid, versatile and entertaning actor that delivers particularly on the action front.
    Though at some point he won't be able to play Ethan Hunt and the studio will have a litterall Mission Impossible looking for his successor.

Cruise is 56 and is more credible in this role than any Bond actor in thier role when in their prime. He'll still be doing this when he's 60. MI isn't competing against Bond when it comes to longevity. That would be dumb, especially when Bond has a 30 year head start. Where MI is competing and winning is where it really counts and thats in the creativity and overall entertainment department; and to add, the films cost less to make and are making about $700Million at the BO. SF and SP are the only Bond films in over 50 years to make over $700Million.

EON will never have such a problem, Bond can be recast and evolve, it's unlikely anyone will step into EH's shoes.

Well EoN have nothing else to do and even their one and only job is proving a bit too much for them these days. Cruise has other films and franchises to star and headline and paramount pictures doesn't rely on the MI films as their sole bread and butter.
    Also MI 6 has possibly now plateaued. This is the franchises Skyfall and from the reviews it's been receiving I think they'll struggle to top it.

MI's Skyfall? I don't think so. The film has recieved a lot of praise and for good reason but it's not the landmark film that SF was. Secondly, I think there's a better sense of Cruise and McQ having a better grasp of what they want to do going forward moreso than EoN with Bond. Does MI have to top Fallout? No. Can they? Its entirely possible and wont be such a huge surprise if they do. However, the level of consistency these films have displayed sets a precedent to expect the next installment at the very least wont disappoint.
    This is why Bond is totally unique, we want these films ( at least I hope we do) to be events. Look I hated the last one and I probably have a lot less patience on entries from the previous, the last 3 Brosnan films verge on the unwatchable for me but I still love the character good and bad and this constant comparison to other franchises which that are in their mere infancy is futile and seems to forget this series is nearly 60 years old and despite constant comparison and complaining is going strong, I think as fans that despite its issues something we should collectively proud of.

Going strong? More like plodding along. Going strong would be the films having a consistent release of a film with no more than 3 year gaps; not waiting to see if the lead actor wants to return or not, not having the degree of uncertainty that has noticeably plagued the series for the last 8 years, not having a pattern of firing and rehiring your writers, your production in shambles for the last 2 movies despite having years of prep and being told "things are moving aling". It's nonsense.

I love Bond and as a fan I'm more than comfortable to call out what I feel to not sit right with me and acknowledge where I feel improvements need to be made and if the competition are doing things better.
    Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

As for those continually whining about those whining about preferring Bond films on a more regular schedule, all I can say is get used to it. Fan frustration is a result of fan neglect and fan disappointment. Treat the fans with respect and give them what they want and they'll be satiated and stop complaining. Ignore them or let them down, and you will feel their wrath. C'est la vie. The internet isn't going anywhere and neither are opinionated enfranchised and entitled fans. The 80's is long gone.

Cheers @bondjames and you're bang on the money.

That’s the crazy part. I recognize you can’t make a Bond film for $40 million anymore, but the ballooning budgets of Skyfall and Spectre, in my opinion, do not show up on the screen.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    They'll feel it when impressiins are less than stellar and their BO numbers go back to hovering around the $600M Mark and their costs are inexplicably still shooting past $200M.

True, but their last two Bonds made a stack of money for them, so they'll feel their decisions are justified.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Indeed. I said as much in my post. Fan entitlement is a function of the world we live in now. A more democratic and also a more polarized and vociferous one. This is an internet fan forum first and foremost. There are all kinds of members here from all over the world, with different experiences, knowledge and insights. Some don't work in the film industry, but others do. The variety of opinions are quite fascinating to read, and I personally have seen great clarity expressed from time to time from those unconnected to the industry. I've also seen the opposite, which is quite understandable given the nature of this forum.

As I said, it is what it is. All one can really do is live with it and hope that the film makers ultimately give the viewers a product which silences any naysayers. I await 2019 with anxious optimism.
    Univex wrote: »

I'd say a bit of both. What is being a fan if not felling entitled in some fashion? Even if that is a fallacy, surely we must agree that it's part of the link. Not in a Annie Wilkes kind of way, of course ;) And fan neglect is a nasty thing in the film business. We don't need to be catered, that would be blowing it out of proportion. And I'm not saying I need to scold or hug BB and MGW personally. I just feel they could have a person responsible for keeping us in the loop, instead of having us depend on some Bamingboyding person.
    Quite right. We're much closer to the answer today than we were a few years back though. They've told us we will get a film just over a year from now. That's not too long to wait at this point, and so hopefully fans can hold out just a bit longer.

I expect big organizational changes behind the scenes post-B25, and hopefully they are for the better and incorporate some of the suggestions you propose, which I agree with.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    There's no news like no news at all ;)

We're running around in circles over and over again after our own tails. And we all want the same thing. Very good posts above from, well, everyone, and even if some points differ, all I can gather is we are all gagging for it, frustrated and angst for the most part. I've been told by a respectable source that EON reads these forums from time to time and they must be aware of the effect all of this has on the fan community. Sadistic is putting it mildly. Yes, we must wait and despair. And learn to be frustrated. And learn our place, which is none at all. In the meantime, let's bite each others hears and snarl all around. I'm an all out EON defender, but they should really get someone to handle the communications department and have close contact with the fan base. A monumentally diplomatic person, of course ;) And the thing I was babbling about some posts ago is that they had this person, they had this connection, and then they froze it. Why?
    More like sado-masochistic. Some sadists don´t stop retching their same bile over and over again, while others come here only to be disappointed and lament, knowing beforehand there´s Nothing new.

Seriously, how many People post here? A few hundred? This is not the fan base keeping the Franchise alive, but a bunch of nerds.

People shouldn´t take themselves so seriously. What matters is that you enjoy the next film. What doesn´t matter at all is if you were the first to predict a certain Outcome or to read a certain News. Sure, I like to be in the loop no less than the next one, but come on People, don´t make your lives dependent on it.

I feel that, since the danielcraignotbon debacle, they have lost the desire to reach out to the fan base, and in some degree, they have gained some fear of doing so.
    You see, that´s the problem, it´s the People themselves who make themselves dependent on this or that newsmonger, not Eon.

• Surely the notion of "fan frustration" actually comes from "fan entitlement" "fan impatience" and - sorry - an often fan-tasy understanding of how films are made, negotiated, written, commissioned, produced, directed, edited and marketed.

The head on this nail will need to be replaced.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    AgentM72 wrote: »

The head on this nail will need to be replaced.

Thank you, so succinctly put.
    MooreFun wrote: »
    That’s the crazy part. I recognize you can’t make a Bond film for $40 million anymore, but the ballooning budgets of Skyfall and Spectre, in my opinion, do not show up on the screen.
    The last two films were made by the same director, who apparently wasn´t in his comfort zone making the last one. Why don´t we just wait and see what the new director makes out of it?

• RC7RC7
    boldfinger wrote: »
    There's no news like no news at all ;)

We're running around in circles over and over again after our own tails. And we all want the same thing. Very good posts above from, well, everyone, and even if some points differ, all I can gather is we are all gagging for it, frustrated and angst for the most part. I've been told by a respectable source that EON reads these forums from time to time and they must be aware of the effect all of this has on the fan community. Sadistic is putting it mildly. Yes, we must wait and despair. And learn to be frustrated. And learn our place, which is none at all. In the meantime, let's bite each others hears and snarl all around. I'm an all out EON defender, but they should really get someone to handle the communications department and have close contact with the fan base. A monumentally diplomatic person, of course ;) And the thing I was babbling about some posts ago is that they had this person, they had this connection, and then they froze it. Why?
    More like sado-masochistic. Some sadists don´t stop retching their same bile over and over again, while others come here only to be disappointed and lament, knowing beforehand there´s Nothing new.

Seriously, how many People post here? A few hundred? This is not the fan base keeping the Franchise alive, but a bunch of nerds.

People shouldn´t take themselves so seriously. What matters is that you enjoy the next film. What doesn´t matter at all is if you were the first to predict a certain Outcome or to read a certain News. Sure, I like to be in the loop no less than the next one, but come on People, don´t make your lives dependent on it.

You’ve hit the nail on the head here.

There’s a definite need for some people to say ‘I told you so’ and immediately wallow in their own grief. I understand the backlash that a film can generate, SP being one, but the sheer pessimism about this place stinks given we’re in pre-production with essentially, little to no knowledge of what is being created.

I’ve tried to inject a little optimism myself, if only because we’re supposed to be fans, but people don’t want to hear it - the excuse constantly being used, ‘EON needs to be more transparent’. Which is exactly what it is, an excuse to whine. Any sense of optimism is greeted with jeers, ‘You’re just an EON apologist’. Which isn’t the case. I just don’t see the need to be so relentlessly negative. This is just a hobby of mine, not my life.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Again, M:I 6 is a very old school action film, it did not add anything to the action film vocabulary that didn't exist 6 years ago.

Which is why multiple reviews said "Move over, James Bond" and "the best action film since Fury Road".

Some reviews also said - fast & the familiar/ Most overrated/
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The last two films were made by the same director, who apparently wasn´t in his comfort zone making the last one. Why don´t we just wait and see what the new director makes out of it?

They can't do worse than spectre in my opinion so yes we may get a decent/ Best bond film of Craig era. Just fingers crossed for the next one from me.
    RC7 wrote: »
    (...) the excuse constantly being used, ‘EON needs to be more transparent’. Which is exactly what it is, an excuse to whine. Any sense of optimism is greeted with jeers, ‘You’re just an EON apologist’. Which isn’t the case. I just don’t see the need to be so relentlessly negative. This is just a hobby of mine, not my life.

But I am an EON apologist and a positivist for that matter. All the so called production trouble we've been observing at a distance is nothing but good news to me. People tend to be the best they can be in troublesome times. And so I expect the film to be grand. I'm a QOS apologist as well, for the same reasons. And I'm not calling for transparency. And this is certainly not my life, as my life is as heavy and serious as one can imagine, trust me. This is also a hobby of mine. My moderate take on the communication game between EON and this (small) community is simple. Yarborough worked well. Many of the posters here don't remember that, but they were fun times. That's all. Fun. All I'm asking from one of my many hobbies. Fun. Isn't that the point? But yes, some people take this very seriously. They should frequent an oncology wing or a psychiatric ward for a bit, to get some perspective.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Things were going much better here until Boyle quit. It will get better again once the new director is hired.

By December we should get the big presser. That's only a few months out. The film is just over a year away after all and that's not long to wait at all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The director may be announced the day before filming commences.
    As far as we know, he or she is in place and contributing to pre-production and polishing the script.
  • Back to a Bond 25 observation.

Not that I can predict the future, but: Despite the existential angst we're all drowning in as a result of this month's developments, I'm sort of tickled by how many recent assumptions-posing-as-reporting (even if they're technically true) might be looked back on as rather funny exaggerations.

A two-second Twitter search pulls up endless stories sensationalizing small kernels of truth. A headline like "Bond 25 is getting an entirely new script from P&W" is engineered to feel like "they're back to square one conceptually" to generate clicks.

I'd gather it's more literally a "whole new script" in the sense that the 17th draft is a different PDF document than the 16th draft.

And not, like, "well he was going to spend the entire movie at a secret Namibian torture site in a coma/dream state induced by a Middle Eastern playboy who wants to depress Bond as a symbol of his plot to destabilize Britain economically" vs. "now he's battling a Russian oligarch named Irmativ Buntoff who's secretly a Blofeld proxy that kills Madeleine and lures Bond to his experimental Garden of Death in Finland where it turns out to all be a trap laid by Idris Elba who kills 007 in a dramatic finale and steals his identity."

(Disclaimer: No I don't know what's in Bond 25 and yes those are purely made up ideas based on online rumors and extra definitely yes I would watch that second one in a heartbeat.)

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,512
    (...) the excuse constantly being used, ‘EON needs to be more transparent’. Which is exactly what it is, an excuse to whine. Any sense of optimism is greeted with jeers, ‘You’re just an EON apologist’. Which isn’t the case. I just don’t see the need to be so relentlessly negative. This is just a hobby of mine, not my life.

But I am an EON apologist and a positivist for that matter. All the so called production trouble we've been observing at a distance is nothing but good news to me. People tend to be the best they can be in troublesome times. And so I expect the film to be grand. I'm a QOS apologist as well, for the same reasons. And I'm not calling for transparency. And this is certainly not my life, as my life is as heavy and serious as one can imagine, trust me. This is also a hobby of mine. My moderate take on the communication game between EON and this (small) community is simple. Yarborough worked well. Many of the posters here don't remember that, but they were fun times. That's all. Fun. All I'm asking from one of my many hobbies. Fun. Isn't that the point? But yes, some people take this very seriously. They should frequent an oncology wing or a psychiatric ward for a bit, to get some perspective.

I remember the Yarborough reports, but from memory (arguably hazy) they were production blogs - similar (certainly better) to the vlogs they release once production gears up. We aren’t at that point yet and I don’t expect EON to be offering anything of merit while they are still nailing down the specifics.

But yes, if we were to talk quality of info during production there’s certainly room to improve in terms of delivery and content.

It’s a double-edged sword of course. The more juicy the intel, the more we’ll see the new breed of outraged fans calling for their heads because of some trivial thing they don’t like.

I can see why they don’t want to waste their time with it. Commercially it certainly doesn’t impact things as we’re an irrelevance in the grand scheme of things.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    The director may be announced the day before filming commences.
    As far as we know, he or she is in place and contributing to pre-production and polishing the script.

I do hope so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I remember the Yarborough reports, but from memory (arguably hazy) they were production blogs - similar (certainly better) to the vlogs they release once production gears up. We aren’t at that point yet and I don’t expect EON to be offering anything of merit while they are still nailing down the specifics.

But yes, if we were to talk quality of info during production there’s certainly room to improve in terms of delivery and content.

It’s a double-edged sword of course. The more juicy the intel, the more we’ll see the new breed of outraged fans calling for their heads because of some trivial thing they don’t like.

I can see why they don’t want to waste their time with it. Commercially it certainly doesn’t impact things as we’re an irrelevance in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe EON needs their own Sarah Sanders.
  • RC7RC7

Maybe EON needs their own Sarah Sanders.

Ha ha.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    https://www.imsdb.com/scripts/World-is-not-Enough,-The.html

P&W first written Draft for TWINE one can always tell the difference with the film. I don't think they are hit and miss because it always goes down to director/producer. For DAD lee tamahori was as responsible as others.

Sure. Apparently the most silly ideas, like the CGI-surf-scene or the car chase in the ice palace, and the show-down on board the plane were put in on Tamahori's request, during shooting. Yet, BB and MGW should have felt, that the movie went into an abysmal direction. Or their belief in Tamahori was so great, that they did not take notice. Apparently Brosnan complained about the gadgets and the outlandish script.

• https://www.imsdb.com/scripts/World-is-not-Enough,-The.html

P&W first written Draft for TWINE one can always tell the difference with the film. I don't think they are hit and miss because it always goes down to director/producer. For DAD lee tamahori was as responsible as others.

Sure. Apparently the most silly ideas, like the CGI-surf-scene or the car chase in the ice palace, and the show-down on board the plane were put in on Tamahori's request, during shooting. Yet, BB and MGW should have felt, that the movie went into an abysmal direction. Or their belief in Tamahori was so great, that they did not take notice. Apparently Brosnan complained about the gadgets and the outlandish script.

I don't have the link offhand, but I believe the exact quote from Rob re: the extremely over-the-top treatment of the invisible car as a stealth vehicle is, "We felt it should be a 3 or 4 out of 10, and the director wanted it to be a 10."

Might have been during Empire's Skyfall spoiler podcast retrospective.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Remington wrote: »
    Andrew Lloyd Webber plans to do BOND 25 - THE MUSICAL. P&W will write the libretto.

So does that mean Michael Crawford will play bond and Sarah Brightman as the bond girl?

This might be controversial but I prefer Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum. More pleasing to my ears. And I've been in love with Emmy since before puberty lol.

Correctamundo. Crawford and Brightman are way too old. They would not want another AVTAK with a Bond actor being "400 years too old".

Good point but I am not entirely against P&W. I am okay either with fresh writer or one already settled in.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    EoN need to absolutely knock this one out of the park... and I think they'll do it. I think the resurrection line in Skyfall was a meta wink. Bond will always be back, and a clunker always seems to put them right.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I am having a hard time believing that DC would place his legacy in Bart Layton's hands. He is a terrific documentary filmmaker, but he has little experience with feature films and no experience at all working with an A-list cast and a large budget.
    There´s a first time for everything :-).
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,261

Good point but I am not entirely against P&W. I am okay either with fresh writer or one already settled in.

That was my point. P&W are blamed for stuff, they did not originally write in the script, they did it on Tamahori's request. I think I remember a radio broadcast some years ago, where they also said, that they were not happy with parts of the screenplay. I'm not sure, whether the invisible car was their idea, or if that aws also one of the brilliant ideas of Lee Tamahori. Anyway, BB and MGW approved these ideas to keep their director happy. That does not mean, that I believe them to be the only able screenwriters to write Bond movies. Which they clearly aren't.
    https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/movies-tv/die-another-day-15-years-later-607025

Without Die Another Day being as bad as it was, the kick-you-to-the-balls arrival of Casino Royale with Daniel Craig might never have happened.Same can be expect from bond 25 after Spectre.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I hope EON will surprise me like they did with CR and made me the Bond fan 2.0 I am today.

The first half of DAD was pretty solid, imho. After the clinic it goes rapidly downhill unfortunately.