No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• SeanCraig wrote: »
    I hope EON will surprise me like they did with CR and made me the Bond fan 2.0 I am today.

The first half of DAD was pretty solid, imho. After the clinic it goes rapidly downhill unfortunately.

I kicked back and enjoyed Moonraker yesterday afternoon. Had the same reaction. It really is a tremendously enjoyable 007 flick -- very much in the vein of TSWLM -- right up until that rocket blasts off and takes Bond into space.

And it's not like the space parts are...bad? They're fun, beautiful, well-staged, amazingly well-scored by Barry. It's just so...weird. haha
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I hope EON will surprise me like they did with CR and made me the Bond fan 2.0 I am today.

The first half of DAD was pretty solid, imho. After the clinic it goes rapidly downhill unfortunately.

Likewise,I kind of like upuntil swordfight and Bond/M meet.
  • Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher submitted a song for Danny Boyle's Bond film.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/live/2018/sep/13/paul-weller-webchat-true-meanings

I think we could have dodged a bullet here. We don't need some granddad rockers writing some kitsch tripe.

We need Alex Turner.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher submitted a song for Danny Boyle's Bond film.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/live/2018/sep/13/paul-weller-webchat-true-meanings

I think we could have dodged a bullet here. We don't need some granddad rockers writing some kitsch tripe.

We need Alex Turner.

As a huge Oasis fan I really hope they still consider it. But I get wanting a fresher voice. I remember reading that they were submitting a song but would have another artist perform it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,889
    Hey, I’m an Arctic Monkey’s fan and agree, but please, either Gallagher, Noel or Liam could both do a great job and give Craig a ballsy song to close out his tenure.
    No need for narrow minded ageism.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    So we were this close to having one of the Gallagher's do a Bond theme. Me and @PropertyOfALady are officially in mourning.
  • Agreed; Weller and Noel both really know how to write a song. And if they were planning on handing over the vocals to someone else, so much the better.

On another note, and following up from an older post, an interesting thought about Alex Garland. He can write and direct, and Ex Machina was a hell of a movie. Not sure he's your choice for a tentpole blockbuster, and Oblivion did flop a bit. But if Craig wanted character depth, brooding, and atmosphere . . . Garland could probably deliver!
    octofinger wrote: »
    Agreed; Weller and Noel both really know how to write a song. And if they were planning on handing over the vocals to someone else, so much the better.

On another note, and following up from an older post, an interesting thought about Alex Garland. He can write and direct, and Ex Machina was a hell of a movie. Not sure he's your choice for a tentpole blockbuster, and Oblivion did flop a bit. But if Craig wanted character depth, brooding, and atmosphere . . . Garland could probably deliver!

Liam’s most recent album is outstanding; an unlikely Gallagher reunion would be ideal. Liam’s vocals have an arrogant confidence that suits Craig’s Bond.

• RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »
    Agreed; Weller and Noel both really know how to write a song. And if they were planning on handing over the vocals to someone else, so much the better.

Liam’s most recent album is outstanding; an unlikely Gallagher reunion would be ideal. Liam’s vocals have an arrogant confidence that suits Craig’s Bond.

I love Liam’s album.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Oasis. The last true rock band IMO. Love both Liam and Noel. Godlike geniuses lol.
    Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher have both made some decent albums lately.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They were only planning on writing it based on what's in that link.
    What I find interesting is that it seems most people here care more about Bond 25 keeping its release date than who will direct the movie, and I suspect a delay would upset most people in this thread more than Danny Boyle's departure did. In other words: if a delay happens, that's when shit will REALLY hit the fan.

As for me, I don't really care about the release date. I would much rather have an excellent Bond movie every 5 years than a new TWINE-level Bond movie every 2 years for the rest of my life.
    Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher submitted a song for Danny Boyle's Bond film.

We need Alex Turner.

I disagree
    I think it was a given that Purvis and Wade would be back on board after recent events. As we speed through September surely they have to have some sort of official announcement soon?!!!!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    surely they have to have some sort of official announcement soon?!!!!
    Barbara Broccoli and MWG after reading your comment: [link]
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 820
    I think it was a given that Purvis and Wade would be back on board after recent events. As we speed through September surely they have to have some sort of official announcement soon?!!!!

My opinion (at present, ever changing) is mixed on that.

Given the PR snafu Boyle's exit appeared to create, I'm wondering if it might not make sense to hold off on a replacement announcement until much closer to production -- if not after the start of production itself.

That way, they could not only reveal the name but also convey a sense of calming confidence in that the director would have already 'solved' whatever issues were plaguing production and things would be well and truly on their way again.

But just pragmatically, I doubt that will happen. I'm sure we'll hear the name soon. It would be a difficult thing to keep completely secret as pre-production well and truly ramps up.

surely they have to have some sort of official announcement soon?!!!!
    Barbara Broccoli and MWG after reading your comment: [link]

These types of comments are becoming very tiring…
  • octofinger wrote: »

I'm not sure I care too much what Craig wants at this point. I suspect (or perhaps hope) that no actor will be given as much sway over Bond production as he seems to have.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400

I think it's hugely dependent on whether there is a delay or not.

The last thing Eon want to do right now is announce they are delaying the film, especially if they do find a director and the script comes together. The last thing they'd want to do is sacrifice their release date openly. There is a commercial imperative to Universal retaining that piece of theatrical real-estate.

However, if we read the situation it's clear the film won't come out till 2020. Craig's busy elsewhere, they are writing a new script, other films have filled out November 2019, etc.

I imagine we'll be in the same holding pattern till early next year. Eon won't announce a new date and director until early next year. I imagine an announcement sometime in February to March 2019. In the meantime, don't expect Universal to take Bond off the schedule.

I'm fairy certain Bond 25 won't arrive until 2020.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    This. Despite what @peter and @ColonelSun have been telling us for weeks, it's getting more and more obvious that there will be a delay. @Mendes4Lyfe was right again.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The drop-dead date hasn't hit yet @PanchitoPistoles ... when/IF the distributor, EoN and MGM know they can no longer hit the release dates, they will announce there will be a delay.

They haven't announced a delay, because all parties are making all efforts to get Bond out on the target dates.

Stay tuned.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @peter also made a valid point by saying it’s entirely possible there will be a delay in filming & the release date will still be met. If they start filming in Jan. instead of Dec. it’s very doable.
    If it's a small scale film it can be made in 4-5 months.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The cast and crew were scheduled a Holiday Break in late December/early January. That would’ve taken two weeks out of filming. So I don’t think anyone on their side is hitting the panic button just yet!
    This. Despite what @peter and @ColonelSun have been telling us for weeks, it's getting more and more obvious that there will be a delay. @Mendes4Lyfe was right again.

And you absolutely know that a director hasn’t been hired and is actively working on preproduction and polishing the script, all in preparation for a December/ January start date?

• talos7 wrote: »

And you absolutely know that a director hasn’t been hired and is actively working on preproduction and polishing the script, all in preparation for a December/ January start date?

There is approximately a 0% chance a director has been hired. Entertainment journalists are hawking around the project and Eon are leaking info to their preferred outlets.

We're witnessing everything in real time. If Eon enter discussions with a director or sign a director. They will announce them immediately.

The days of Bond 25 operating in secret are over. The film has a lot of 'heat' and everything and anything is a story.

I mean, the fact Eon had had scheduled meetings with Layton and Clarkson was 'news'. The fact that Eon planned to watch White Boy Rick was 'news'.

the film doesn't have the luxury of operating in secret anymore, outlets like deadline, Hollywood Reporter and Variety are actively chasing updates.

Hence why a delay seems likely. I'm as unhappy as anyone else but the project is on life-support currently. The sensible thing to do is either delay or go back to Danny Boyle. The latter seems v unlikely.

There is approximately a 0% chance a director has been hired. Entertainment journalists are hawking around the project and Eon are leaking info to their preferred outlets.

We're witnessing everything in real time. If Eon enter discussions with a director or sign a director. They will announce them immediately.

The days of Bond 25 operating in secret are over. The film has a lot of 'heat' and everything and anything is a story.

I mean, the fact Eon had had scheduled meetings with Layton and Clarkson was 'news'. The fact that Eon planned to watch White Boy Rick was 'news'.

the film doesn't have the luxury of operating in secret anymore, outlets like deadline, Hollywood Reporter and Variety are actively chasing updates.

Hence why a delay seems likely. I'm as unhappy as anyone else but the project is on life-support currently. The sensible thing to do is either delay or go back to Danny Boyle. The latter seems v unlikely.

So your inside source for your assumptions is whom?

Approximately 0%? Based on what hard, factual information?
    All of this is your opinion based on no actual, variified information.

All Uninformed speculation, assumption, and guesses.

And sure, you could be right.m, but nearly 0%, that’s ludicrous.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

I thought you said you were very sure bart layton got the job
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,889
    I’m not trying to be combative, it’s just frustrating when people talk with authority and of inevitabilities based on speculation.
    Unless the news was released by EON, it’s not official.
    As far as I know the last official release from them was the announcement of Boyle’s departure.

I agree with mindset that they still want to meet the announced release date. Many deals were made with numerous parties prior to setting that date. As has been pointed out, they have a certain amount of wiggle room within December and January where a nominal delay is possible and the announced date can be met.

As far as no secret in the film world today, absolutely there are secrets. Most of what is printed is regurgitated, recycled rumor. The Elba myth has been officially busted and it still lives on .

My opinion , and it’s only an opinion based on 40 years of following the film industry and being a student of film history, is that they were aware of Boyle’s dissatisfaction for some time longer then when he walked ; the powers that be quietly considered alternate scenarios.
    I would not be surprised at all if a director is in place and gearing up to shoot.