No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    bondsum wrote: »
    That's probably a bit harsh, @ClarkDevlin. Don't forget Eon are also in the middle of negotiating distribution rights' as Sony's deal has just expired. This was meant to have been sorted out by Easter, but clearly something is holding this up. I should imagine as soon as this matter has been settled then we'll hear more about the next Bond movie.
    Probably. I'm not saying they're "incompetent" or all that sort of things. Just they are acting like that on purpose... for whatever they have in mind. I mean... they deny some things while MGM says otherwise. They deny it again, yet MGM claims the otherwise. What is that supposed to aim at?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    And this is the sort of crap I keep talking about with EoN.

One thing's for certain, EoN dint ever have to worry about marketing and promition. They're clearly getting that for free. They're also at a point where they don't need to be engaging in subterfuge that tbh no one really cares about. They don't need to waste time and resources putting on a press conference for each movie; it just makes things worse when they confirm things everyone akready knew but they insisted in denying; and when the film ends up being a disappointment. Flat out lying about things that turn out to be true just looks childish and quite frankly is a boring exercise. "No comment" will suffice.

EoN need to stop dicking around, if Craig is stalling or holding out then get rid of him. They need to get a movie out. Where audiences spend their money is becoming increasingly competitive; it's going to take a lot for Bond films to have audiences come back for second and third viewings. Either Craig wants to do it or not. EoN need to remember they have a business to run and while they're waiting for whatever reason(s)they can get on with other preliminary work; find new writers, new director, develop the story, lock in key casting talent. Honestly, it feels like EoN are lagging behind every other film studio/company and they think it's acceptable or fine because they're "Bond". That way of thinking won't last long and it's already starting to wain a bit.
    Both MGM and Eon are equal partners, though Eon does have the upper hand. There's stuff going on behind the scenes that none of us are privy to, and probably won't be for a very long time, until perhaps one of the producers decides to write a biography, like the great and late Cubby Broccoli once did, and that was many years after the events had unfolded. My guess is that there's some sticking point over the negotiating table on the new distribution rights, hence why we're not hearing anything. As soon as this is resolved I expect the floodgates will open and we'll hear more news on the next Bond movie and its chosen actor.
    If late 2019 is the most likely release date, then production should begin around late 2018. So we really just have two years to wait before Bond is back, and in that time we will learn who the new distributor is, whether Craig is going or staying, who the producers will be (I don't think MGW has another one in him, unfortunately) as well as director and writers. Plus on top of that the usual speculation cycles, so we Bond fans have a very busy 2 years ahead. :D

So it's likely that we are back to 4 years between Bond films. It seems to be painfully slow in comparison to Star Wars where there is less time scheduled between SW movies and they can fit in various offshoot movies on top of that.

You'd think EON would want to get more product out there. On a 3 or 4 year cycle it is going to be very difficult for any actor to go beyond 4 movies as Bond.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,090
    vzok wrote: »
    If late 2019 is the most likely release date, then production should begin around late 2018. So we really just have two years to wait before Bond is back, and in that time we will learn who the new distributor is, whether Craig is going or staying, who the producers will be (I don't think MGW has another one in him, unfortunately) as well as director and writers. Plus on top of that the usual speculation cycles, so we Bond fans have a very busy 2 years ahead. :D

So it's likely that we are back to 4 years between Bond films. It seems to be painfully slow in comparison to Star Wars where there is less time scheduled between SW movies and they can fit in various offshoot movies on top of that.

You'd think EON would want to get more product out there. On a 3 or 4 year cycle it is going to be very difficult for any actor to go beyond 4 movies as Bond.

Not only that but the pressure for every film to do well is now doubled compared to the 80's when they came out every 2 years. Some seem to think that this extra time will allow EON to insure a greater quality product. I'm of the opinion that this will actually harm the franchise, because the increased burden on each film to do well will lend to less risk taking. In my opinion the series is at its best when it is taking big gambles.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »

One thing's for certain, EoN dint ever have to worry about marketing and promition. They're clearly getting that for free. They're also at a point where they don't need to be engaging in subterfuge that tbh no one really cares about. They don't need to waste time and resources putting on a press conference for each movie; it just makes things worse when they confirm things everyone akready knew but they insisted in denying; and when the film ends up being a disappointment. Flat out lying about things that turn out to be true just looks childish and quite frankly is a boring exercise. "No comment" will suffice.

EoN need to stop dicking around, if Craig is stalling or holding out then get rid of him. They need to get a movie out. Where audiences spend their money is becoming increasingly competitive; it's going to take a lot for Bond films to have audiences come back for second and third viewings. Either Craig wants to do it or not. EoN need to remember they have a business to run and while they're waiting for whatever reason(s)they can get on with other preliminary work; find new writers, new director, develop the story, lock in key casting talent. Honestly, it feels like EoN are lagging behind every other film studio/company and they think it's acceptable or fine because they're "Bond". That way of thinking won't last long and it's already starting to wain a bit.
    I agree.
    Both MGM and Eon are equal partners, though Eon does have the upper hand. There's stuff going on behind the scenes that none of us are privy to, and probably won't be for a very long time, until perhaps one of the producers decides to write a biography, like the great and late Cubby Broccoli once did, and that was many years after the events had unfolded. My guess is that there's some sticking point over the negotiating table on the new distribution rights, hence why we're not hearing anything. As soon as this is resolved I expect the floodgates will open and we'll hear more news on the next Bond movie and its chosen actor.
    I agree as well.

It's quite likely, due to the fact that this pie has to be spread 3 ways (MGM, EON, distributor) that there's sticking points on money. Given the really bad deal Sony had, I can't understand why any studio would want a piece of Bond anyway. It's a risk for them, given the massive drop off in US box office for SP vs SF. Did Sony even make money on SP, given they only made $58M reportedly on SF (under the same deal) which was cheaper to make and far more successful? Additionally, If EON or Craig wants Mendes again I can understand why a studio may balk as well (given his recent penchant for blowing money on explosions). He didn't really light the world on fire in the action or location dept (to put it mildly) either despite the high production costs.

Moreover, there are issues regarding Craig. He is not cheap any more, and I'm sure his price is going up for B25 vs. SP. Despite the fact that he has his fans here and elsewhere, I'm sure some studios know they can get a better return from Bond with someone new in the lead role. Creatively they have more options as well, given the box Mendes put them in with SP.

Having said that I also agree that they have to stop futzing about regarding the rumour mill. What they did with Waltz (he's not Blofeld - oops, actually he is Blofeld) was just annoying. The big twist (as far as they were concerned) ended up being a damp squib and anyone with half a brain should have known that beforehand. They should just come up with scripts that won't need them to make things up. Additionally, they look stupid when they lie about things. I don't understand why Bab's denied Logan's involvement if it were true and if MGM had confirmed it. That's silly of her.

As I said in an earlier post, they have to learn from politicians. Treat the press with respect and they will give you a kinder ear. Try to obfuscate and they will butcher you.

The recent reports that MGM wants to go public and become a studio again may have something to do with it as well. They may want to make the next Bond film closer to that date, to use the resultant publicity and success as a stepping ground for the IPO.
    Well put, Mendes. I'd even go as far to say there were more gambles taken in the 80s films when they were doing it every 2 years than in any of the Craig films. It's far more challenging to come up with new ideas and plots on a 2 year deadline than taking a 3-4 year break and coming up with SF or SP. Granted- completely re-booting was a departure, but the films have catered to the Bourne and Nolan crowds hence alienating old school Bond fans. When an attempt to return to formula was made with SP it wasn't as well received. The culprit in this case was the writing IMO. Had Maibaum wrote SP in the 80s, we would have had a grander caper and more feasible Bond/Blofeld connection.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Well put, Mendes. I'd even go as far to say there were more gambles taken in the 80s films when they were doing it every 2 years than in any of the Craig films. It's far more challenging to come up with new ideas and plots on a 2 year deadline than taking a 3-4 year break and coming up with SF or SP. Granted- completely re-booting was a departure, but the films have catered to the Bourne and Nolan crowds hence alienating old school Bond fans. When an attempt to return to formula was made with SP it wasn't as well received. The culprit in this case was the writing IMO. Had Maibaum wrote SP in the 80s, we would have had a grander caper and more feasible Bond/Blofeld connection.

Apples and oranges. Maibaum, Young, and for that matter Broccoli and Saltzman, all grew up in basically the studio system and had that work ethic, whereas now every role is for hire on every new film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree.
    I agree as well.

It's quite likely, due to the fact that this pie has to be spread 3 ways (MGM, EON, distributor) that there's sticking points on money. Given the really bad deal Sony had, I can't understand why any studio would want a piece of Bond anyway. It's a risk for them, given the massive drop off in US box office for SP vs SF. Did Sony even make money on SP, given they only made $58M reportedly on SF (under the same deal) which was cheaper to make and far more successful? Additionally, If EON or Craig wants Mendes again I can understand why a studio may balk as well (given his recent penchant for blowing money on explosions). He didn't really light the world on fire in the action or location dept (to put it mildly) either despite the high production costs.

Moreover, there are issues regarding Craig. He is not cheap any more, and I'm sure his price is going up for B25 vs. SP. Despite the fact that he has his fans here and elsewhere, I'm sure some studios know they can get a better return from Bond with someone new in the lead role. Creatively they have more options as well, given the box Mendes put them in with SP.

Having said that I also agree that they have to stop futzing about regarding the rumour mill. What they did with Waltz (he's not Blofeld - oops, actually he is Blofeld) was just annoying. The big twist (as far as they were concerned) ended up being a damp squib and anyone with half a brain should have known that beforehand. They should just come up with scripts that won't need them to make things up. Additionally, they look stupid when they lie about things. I don't understand why Bab's denied Logan's involvement if it were true and if MGM had confirmed it. That's silly of her.

As I said in an earlier post, they have to learn from politicians. Treat the press with respect and they will give you a kinder ear. Try to obfuscate and they will butcher you.

The recent reports that MGM wants to go public and become a studio again may have something to do with it as well. They may want to make the next Bond film closer to that date, to use the resultant publicity and success as a stepping ground for the IPO.

Well said and very much agreed.

I think going back to formula isn't necessarily a bad thing and SP trying to use it didn't hurt the film so much as how it was executed. Take a successful formula no matter how tested, tried and true it maybe, it's very possible and easily so to get two different outcomes. You can get something wonderful or something terrible. SP's problems all stemmed from execution. I'm willing to bet had Gareth Evans been given the exact same script, it would have been a different and much better film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I think going back to formula isn't necessarily a bad thing and SP trying to use it didn't hurt the film so much as how it was executed. Take a successful formula no matter how tested, tried and true it maybe, it's very possible and easily so to get two different outcomes. You can get something wonderful or something terrible. SP's problems all stemmed from execution. I'm willing to bet had Gareth Evans been given the exact same script, it would have been a different and much better film.
    I agree and this is the key point. Even GE was formula, but it felt fresh. So did TFA, at least to me, even though it too was formula. It's all about the way it's done.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    No I don't think Logan is coming back considering the mess of spectre (honestly did he just have writers block go to the cinema see Captain America the winter soldier and then say screw it that was a great film I am just gonna steal it and change elements of it)

If I had to guess Jez Butterworth is more then likely helping write the next film. Back in febuary Greg Wilson said they (but not indications who they were) were throwing around ideas for Bond 25. My guess in terms of who they were was G. Wilson M. Wilson Babs Daniel Craig and Jez Butterworth but again this is all just a guess.

My feeling is Craig will do one more (though I wouldn't mind 2 more) it will be heavidly influenced by You Only Live Twice (the novel) and because the way titling has been going as of late my guess is Bond 25 is Blofeld... Which I am ok with Blofeld while being a bland title for a film is an Iconic villain and one film goers recognize and like so having a bond film titled that would make sense...
    To be fair, Logan had the outline for the 24th developed long before Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out. His efforts were different and introduced other ways of putting Bond in the mission as well as had alternatively different characters for the part. It was Purvis and Wade that made a mess out of it and turned it into a Winter Soldier clone. Logan's drafts had far more interesting bits that connected each scene conveniently with one another than the customization the long-hated duo made through the outline.
    There is the distinct stench of a 'hack' job in SP, so I'm not surprised their pawprints were all over it. I hope they are finally dumped for B25. They ran out of ideas a long time ago.

Producers, writers, and Craig all abandoned Fleming in SP. What happened to Cubby's rule of always returning to Fleming when in doubt?

I think MGW whom I think grounds the efforts was less of a voice this time particularly toward the latter part of preproduction. Babs and Mendes left more unchecked.

Abandoned Fleming? Heh. How so?

Blofeld, elements of Bond.. Fleming's SPECTRE as written is quite interesting. They abandoned even the cinematic Bond in terms of Swann replacing Tracy.

Very convincing.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'd say Spectre didn't have a Fleming feeling, maybe aside from the scenes in Morocco minus the Crater.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,115
    jake24 wrote: »
    Thanks, @AlexanderWaverly for the corrections.

You're welcome. It really is hard to keep it all straight.

On a related note, sometimes reports get confirmed in a very backhanded way long after they were originally published.

Example: Bamigboye was the first to report Purvis and Wade had returned during the summer of 2014. It wasn't confirmed until December of that year when they had the official kickoff media event and mentioned the writers.

Example 2: The BBC reported Whishaw was playing Q, based on a comment from his agent. In the spring of 2012, Broccoli and Craig were denying it ("All agents are liars," Craig quipped.) in an interview done as Skyfall was wrapping up shooting at Pinewood (they still had location filming to do in Turkey.) It wasn't confirmed until sometime later.
    A lot of free publicity for Bond, all this speculation. The way i see it in my own mind is that we got DC for one more film tops!

Then the press will still be saying the same thing about who is replacing him anyway?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    A lot of free publicity for Bond, all this speculation. The way i see it in my own mind is that we got DC for one more film tops!

Then the press will still be saying the same thing about who is replacing him anyway?

But of course, it's that constant looking to the future mentality that the press has. It's why SP wrapped up and all anyone cared to ask Craig is whether he was doing a fifth, and when they'd get started on it, even though the latest Bond movie hadn't even premiered to the masses yet.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Another aside about denials, etc. Remember this story?

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_23_report_jan12a_naomie_harris.php3

Excerpts:

Naomie Harris puts the Miss Moneypenny rumours to bed. Once and for all...

Speaking to Live magazine, a supplement of the Mail on Sunday tabloid that still perpetuates the groundless claim she will be playing the MI6 secretary, Harris said: "The idea of me being Moneypenny was a good, racy rumour. But Eve is not remotely office-bound. She gets to see plenty of action. That meant a lot of gun training."

Epilogue
    Despite Harris categorically stating in the interview that she will not be playing Moneypenny in the film, one tuned-out sub editor at the Mail still managed to slip the falsehood into her unrelated travel report from the Maldives, printed in the same issue of the newspaper.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,477
    Just read that link. It's funny, seeing Harris describe how "capable" and "multi-faceted" the girls were going to be for SF...and yet we get a nameless one that doesn't get one word of dialogue (only has sex with Bond) and one was a former sex slave who is used, bedded by Bond, and wasted with a hasty execution.

That's why I don't trust most of the actor/director comments that try to confirm/deny details, like how Cumberbatch toootally wasn't Khan, and Waltz definitely didn't end up playing Blofeld.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

On a related note, sometimes reports get confirmed in a very backhanded way long after they were originally published.

Example: Bamigboye was the first to report Purvis and Wade had returned during the summer of 2014. It wasn't confirmed until December of that year when they had the official kickoff media event and mentioned the writers.

Example 2: The BBC reported Whishaw was playing Q, based on a comment from his agent. In the spring of 2012, Broccoli and Craig were denying it ("All agents are liars," Craig quipped.) in an interview done as Skyfall was wrapping up shooting at Pinewood (they still had location filming to do in Turkey.) It wasn't confirmed until sometime later.
    What's bizarre is that Bamigboye completely stopped reporting on Bond since the Sony leaks.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423

What's bizarre is that Bamigboye completely stopped reporting on Bond since the Sony leaks.
    They threatened him. He went silent. Otherwise, they'll give him the curtains. ;)

They threatened him. He went silent. Otherwise, they'll give him the curtains. ;)

I have wondered (and this is only my speculation) if Eon and the Daily Mail cut a deal, with the Mail taking Bamigboye off the Bond beat in return for access. I remember a couple of times during SPECTRE production where the Mail appeared to have gotten a lot of access for features.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    echo wrote: »
    Apples and oranges. Maibaum, Young, and for that matter Broccoli and Saltzman, all grew up in basically the studio system and had that work ethic, whereas now every role is for hire on every new film.

Good point, but Maibaum did never write SP and died in 1991, Young and Saltzman died in 1994, and Cubby died in 1996. So it is hypothetical, what they would have done with a movie like SP. The point, that the return to the Bond formula with SP estranged some Bond fans, is vlaid, though, after they tried to make the Craig Bonds different from the formula. That Blofeld actually is a kind of foster brother to Bond, well, yeah, did not really convince me, it was yet again the personal involvement of Bond with the villain. And Waltz was completely underused, as was Bardem in SF, but he made the most of it, taken the screentime he was given. So one would hope, that we will get more of Blofeld in future Bond movies.
    Some months ago I read about a rumour about Waltz having an option in his contract to do a second Bond movie, but only under he condition, that Craig will return as Bond. I don't know, whether this is just a wildly made up story, or if there is some or at least a little truth in it.
    The man in question certainly has better things to do ;)

UNDP GreenProcHealth
    @GreenProcIndex
    A warm conversation between Daniel Craig & @UN Deputy Secretary General Jan Eliasson # @WHSummit #ShareHumanity

It looks like he's in Istanbul for The World Hkijumanitarian Summit tomorrow and Tuesday

CjElhqeXIAAr4V0_zpsszhnejc9.jpg

CjEldhWWgAIQZHg_zpsyximkpgc.jpg
    With each passing day the probability of Craig returning lessens. If they can stick to the 3 year schedule, then EON will do anything possible to keep Craig onboard. However, if keeping Craig happy means delaying production for another year, then its my opinion that EON will bite the bullet and release Craig from his duties early. He's getting to that age now where he is visibly past his prime (for this kind of leading man role), so EON can start and exert a little more pressure on him. In all likelihood Bond is Craig's last hope of fronting a big blockbuster franchise and EON know that. They won't push him around per se, there is too much mutual respect there for that, but they can start and issue ultimatums. Craig certainly doesn't seem as ego driven as most big name actors, so I doubt he would play ball in that situation. Either way, it's entirely possible that complications have risen from finding a new distributor, and that this delay is what prevents Craig from having his swansong. It wouldn't be the first time something similar has happened with this franchise.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,477
    If it's taking a lot of money to keep Craig around, and if he's already indecisive about returning, I don't see why they're so eager to hold on to him, IF this is what's going on behind the scenes. He does make a great Bond (minus his rather wooden-at-times take on the role in SP), but he's not the be-all-end-all for the franchise. If he was that bankable and had that much star power, his non-Bond career would receive much better returns. It's like Mendes: we had to wait an extra year for him to come around, and fans ended up pretty divided over SP.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,601
    There is no reason to believe its his decission they are waiting for - oh, unlless of course, we believe everything in the papers. Its so easy to throw stones but certainly not fair. When did he EVER give you fans a reason to believe the welfare of the franchise is not Front and center for him. I thought he gave you 10 years of proof. Too sad so called Fans get out their Kneifes so easily.

He is the Last person who would delay production. For fucks sake, he worked through a rather serious knee injury to NOT delay the damn thing. Still not enough...its seriously disgusting.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Didn't he say he was going to have more surgery done on his knee in the new year? Does anyone know if that happened?

My thinking is, maybe he doesn't need additional surgery if he isn't going to be doing anything as physical as Bond. And he did say, I'll keep doing it till my knees go. Well this is the second knee gone.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    There is no reason to believe its his decission they are waiting for - oh, unlless of course, we believe everything in the papers. Its so easy to throw stones but certainly not fair. When did he EVER give you fans a reason to believe the welfare of the franchise is not Front and center for him. I thought he gave you 10 years of proof. Too sad so called Fans get out their Kneifes so easily.

He is the Last person who would delay production. For fucks sake, he worked through a rather serious knee injury to NOT delay the damn thing. Still not enough...its seriously disgusting.

Totally agree with this.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »

Totally agree with this.

I agree too but I do think Craig has moved on. Craig's decision might be due more to physical demands or really just a professional decision to move on.

Then again until we get an announcement no matter what we think Craig should do we won't know.

@Germanlady I really hope we don't loose you if we loose Craig :( ...
    @Germanlady, hence our speculation. We don't have any reason whatsoever to believe that he's already been confirmed as staying on as Bond for a fifth film, either, and yet all we can seem to discuss is the more likely route: that he's done. Plus, why is he the last person who would delay production? Is it really that unlikely that he's so burnt out and exhausted from everything encompassing SP that he IS a reason for some sort of delay, outside of the whole buyer situation going on that's keeping things halted anyway?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Germanlady, hence our speculation. We don't have any reason whatsoever to believe that he's already confirmed as staying on as Bond for a fifth film, either, and yet all we can seem to discuss is the more likely route: that he's done. Plus, why is he the last person who would delay production? Is it really that unlikely that he's so burnt out and exhausted from everything encompassing SP that he IS a reason for some sort of delay, outside of the whole buyer situation going on that's keeping things halted anyway?

Someone gets it. =D>