No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Why is it always the 4th film the kicker for most of these Bond actors?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Germanlady, hence our speculation. We don't have any reason whatsoever to believe that he's already been confirmed as staying on as Bond for a fifth film, either, and yet all we can seem to discuss is the more likely route: that he's done. Plus, why is he the last person who would delay production? Is it really that unlikely that he's so burnt out and exhausted from everything encompassing SP that he IS a reason for some sort of delay, outside of the whole buyer situation going on that's keeping things halted anyway?

I agree about the first half of that, but I find it hard to believe he could be so burnt out etc. that he'd need some sort of delay. The only movies he has done in past few years are SF and SP. I understand big productions are exhausting, but still. How many months does an actor need to rest after a big movie before being able to work again? It can't be that hard. I respect acting as work (unlike some people), and of course it can be exhausting, but having several months off should be enough to re-charge batteries in any line of work, surely - and most people couldn't do that even if they needed/wanted to.

If he's done with the role, okay, then he leaves, but if he wants to continue he can't possibly need huge amounts of time off. It makes no sense to me why he would - who else does? He can either do smaller projects (movies, tv, theatre) in between Bond films, or just spend time with his family 24/7 if he chooses to. It's been quite a long time already since SP to just take time off - I do count the promotional campaign, too, of course, but it's been months since that finished, too.

Therefore I agree with GL. He wouldn't delay the production. No reason why he would.

Tuulia wrote: »
    @Germanlady, hence our speculation. We don't have any reason whatsoever to believe that he's already been confirmed as staying on as Bond for a fifth film, either, and yet all we can seem to discuss is the more likely route: that he's done. Plus, why is he the last person who would delay production? Is it really that unlikely that he's so burnt out and exhausted from everything encompassing SP that he IS a reason for some sort of delay, outside of the whole buyer situation going on that's keeping things halted anyway?

I agree about the first half of that, but I find it hard to believe he could be so burnt out etc. that he'd need some sort of delay. The only movies he has done in past few years are SF and SP. I understand big productions are exhausting, but still. How many months does an actor need to rest after a big movie before being able to work again? It can't be that hard. I respect acting as work (unlike some people), and of course it can be exhausting, but having several months off should be enough to re-charge batteries in any line of work, surely - and most people couldn't do that even if they needed/wanted to.

If he's done with the role, okay, then he leaves, but if he wants to continue he can't possibly need huge amounts of time off. It makes no sense to me why he would - who else does? He can either do smaller projects (movies, tv, theatre) in between Bond films, or just spend time with his family 24/7 if he chooses to. It's been quite a long time already since SP to just take time off - I do count the promotional campaign, too, of course, but it's been months since that finished, too.

Therefore I agree with GL. He wouldn't delay the production. No reason why he would.

Time off? He's about to play Iago and then do a long stint in a TV series.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »

Time off? He's about to play Iago and then do a long stint in a TV series.

Yes, I know. He has had time off since SP, though, and doing other projects is normal. It's what actors do. My point was that why would he need extra time off to delay Bond production? To me that makes no sense at all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,474
    @Tuulia, don't get me wrong, I completely agree that it all sounds ridiculous, but he said it himself that he would want a few months off, so that makes it completely plausible that any production that could take place would be halted if he so desired and they still wanted him for a fifth film. Hell, they waited an entire year for Mendes to return, is it really that hard to believe that they may wait for Craig, as well? He's got this TV series and his work on Broadway inbound, and as of late it's rather obvious that he doesn't have an interest in discussing the future of Bond, so it's not that surprising to me that he could be burnt out and wants some time to decide. I've just had this feeling for a few months that he's done with the role.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

I think delay is studio and financing not Craig. Maybe some artistic flux. Maybe legal. Maybe all that holding Craig making decision.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    He said he needed 6 months. That was 6 months ago, and despite this new report (which could still be true) that he is done with Bond, he and EON choose to remain silent on the matter. Perhaps they are unable to say anything in the press that will upset a potential distributor, and they think "no comment" is the safest option. Regardless, I doubt Craig will be ready to leap into action again in just 18 months time. Assuming that EON sticks with a Oct/Nov release, that rules out 2018. So if a 4 year gap is likely anyway, I think it makes more sense to spend that time looking for a new actor, which is what EON has elected to do (that should have been clue). If Craig stays, then he'll turn 51 on the set of Bond 25. Not too old, but borderline.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    MGM hasn't even picked a new distributor yet. Once that's been done I'm sure we'll get a nice new influx of news.
    @Creasy, I also suspect he may be done with it, but we'll see. Anyway, I understand making that decision right after wrapping SP or during its promotion might have been tricky, so I understand the "few months" bit. But he has had a few months already, so I would imagine he has been able to give his answer to EON by now. And whatever the decision, nothing would have been needed to be halted waiting for it, it's not like EON would have already been busy in pre-production for the next movie all those months ago. Hence no delay. And I meant that no way would Craig need a year or whatever to even decide (if he did then he wouldn't really want it), or an extra year between Bond movies (if he's that burned out, then he also doesn't really want it and should leave).

In short, I just don't see how he could be causing delay in production.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Murdock wrote: »
    MGM hasn't even picked a new distributor yet. Once that's been done I'm sure we'll get a nice new influx of news.

I hope so. I don't know what exactly is taking so long, they did promise to have all this wrapped up by now. I agree with you that the distributor business is what is holding up proceedings, and why EON cannot commit to anything in the press. They are caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City

If i make an appointment with MGM to pick a new distributor, that'll be great if do.

Its starting to look more & more like Craig is done. Theres never been this much spec on him quitting until now & it has gone mainstream.

EON need to get it together a bit, I do believe the studio fallout will be the nail for Craigs coffin.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,598
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Its starting to look more & more like Craig is done. Theres never been this much spec on him quitting until now & it has gone mainstream.

EON need to get it together a bit, I do believe the studio fallout will be the nail for Craigs coffin.

Yeah, usually in the past when there has been this much media speculation, it has ended up being true. Would have been nice for Craig to have been in at least one more Bond flick - a gritty, fairly dark, but not necessarily down to earth spy thriller with good character movement.

Barbara doesn't think we want that. So out of touch.
    Don't assume the thoughts of others.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694

That statement explains this entire whiny thread in a nutshell. It's a never-ending game of "Pretend You're EON and Daniel and Actually Know What is Going on Behind Closed Doors." I've been tempted on numerous times just to stop reading this thread, because the amount of times I've been impressed by level-headed arguments and the relative discourse of this discussion pale in comparison to how much I regularly want to bash my head off the table nearest me until the incessant moaning goes away.

This current situation is why media and how people consume media can be so poisonous. People will believe everything if you tie it in a pretty bow and serve it to them on a platter. Many here bemoaning Dan's exit aren't this bad, obviously, but others aren't far from the margin.

I've never had one moment where I actually thought Dan was done as Bond, no matter how many of these stories flood the media. Some copy and paste articles aren't suddenly going to cause me to worry, especially when they say nothing new. This kind of thing (reports of Dan leaving) get drummed up every time there's a stretch of time between Bond films. And worse enough, comments that he made with obvious frivolity (wrist-slashing) are taken and misconstrued as truth by media outlets who should know better than that (not the Daily Mail's of the world, of course, but upstanding and reputable sources of news).

For me, this "news" changes literally nothing. I can see a future where Bond 25 is coming out, with Dan at the helm once again.

That statement explains this entire whiny thread in a nutshell. It's a never-ending game of "Pretend You're EON and Daniel and Actually Know What is Going on Behind Closed Doors." I've been tempted on numerous times just to stop reading this thread, because the amount of times I've been impressed by level-headed arguments and the relative discourse of this discussion pale in comparison to how much I regularly want to bash my head off the table nearest me until the incessant moaning goes away.

This current situation is why media and how people consume media can be so poisonous. People will believe everything if you tie it in a pretty bow and serve it to them on a platter. Many here bemoaning Dan's exit aren't this bad, obviously, but others aren't far from the margin.

I've never had one moment where I actually thought Dan was done as Bond, no matter how many of these stories flood the media. Some copy and paste articles aren't suddenly going to cause me to worry, especially when they say nothing new. This kind of thing (reports of Dan leaving) get drummed up every time there's a stretch of time between Bond films. And worse enough, comments that he made with obvious frivolity (wrist-slashing) are taken and misconstrued as truth by media outlets who should know better than that (not the Daily Mail's of the world, of course, but upstanding and reputable sources of news).

For me, this "news" changes literally nothing. I can see a future where Bond 25 is coming out, with Dan at the helm once again.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This armchair producing and blind assumptions of how EON or Dan are thinking is quite baffling and rather silly. This whole thread could be summed up in this one video. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    The last two posts saved me from committing a heinous crime. 100+ new posts and about four of substance, blurgh.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    RC7 wrote: »
    The last two posts saved me from committing a heinous crime. 100+ new posts and about four of substance, blurgh.

The last three for me! so many dumbed down non theories that have no substance.
    This thread mirrors everything wrong with modern media and it's regurgitation of pure and utter rubbish. Then we have the fools who take it as gospel and the few level headed ones are left feeling in the minority.
    "I know, let's take this headline from this reputable sorce and swear by it. I must also repeat my self over and over and add the fact that daniel craig is no longer 007 anymore because he said he'd rather slash his wrists than continue"
    Sane humans know that comment was said in jest and sane humans know not to take even social media as gospel, when they feel the need to promote that daniel craig has quit. Thick , lazy arse sheep who have no logic or facts and can't form an opinion of their own.
    A B25 production thread of 175 pages when we know sweet FA about the production of the next film!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As an add on to the above re: time line
    If it's taking a lot of money to keep Craig around, and if he's already indecisive about returning, I don't see why they're so eager to hold on to him, IF this is what's going on behind the scenes. He does make a great Bond (minus his rather wooden-at-times take on the role in SP), but he's not the be-all-end-all for the franchise. If he was that bankable and had that much star power, his non-Bond career would receive much better returns. It's like Mendes: we had to wait an extra year for him to come around, and fans ended up pretty divided over SP.

DC has made exactly two films since 2012: SF and SP. So I'm not sure how you calculated his worth outside of the Bond franchise (unless, of course, you're counting his sell-out shows in NY?).

Otherwise, like RDJ as Iron Man, DC is money in the bank as 007.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    finally some people with common sense =D>
    i felt like this for a very long time about this thread, i don't even know why i keep reading

• peterpeter Toronto
    Germanlady wrote: »
    There is no reason to believe its his decission they are waiting for - oh, unlless of course, we believe everything in the papers. Its so easy to throw stones but certainly not fair. When did he EVER give you fans a reason to believe the welfare of the franchise is not Front and center for him. I thought he gave you 10 years of proof. Too sad so called Fans get out their Kneifes so easily.

He is the Last person who would delay production. For fucks sake, he worked through a rather serious knee injury to NOT delay the damn thing. Still not enough...its seriously disgusting.

100% in agreement. It looks like ppl are so frustrated that they need to lash out at somebody, so they lash out at the face of the franchise. Must be his fault. He's not giving them the decision.

I would imagine that his decision will not be made until he sees a finished draft, as I also imagine that EON are working with an army of lawyers re: any offers they're getting for future distributors.

Not assuming. Several interviews etc. Plus they made SP. Remember that?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Bang on the money. And as you say: cut n paste articles. That's all this was. As I have repeated: no legit film publication (DEADLINE, HR, VARIETY) mentioned DC's offer to him and departure. Not one. You'd think that a changing of the guard in the 007 world would be big entertainment news. But not one of them even made a whisper.

I see some of the comments as tasteless wish fantasies, that's all.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,325
    peter wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    There is no reason to believe its his decission they are waiting for - oh, unlless of course, we believe everything in the papers. Its so easy to throw stones but certainly not fair. When did he EVER give you fans a reason to believe the welfare of the franchise is not Front and center for him. I thought he gave you 10 years of proof. Too sad so called Fans get out their Kneifes so easily.

He is the Last person who would delay production. For fucks sake, he worked through a rather serious knee injury to NOT delay the damn thing. Still not enough...its seriously disgusting.

100% in agreement. It looks like ppl are so frustrated that they need to lash out at somebody, so they lash out at the face of the franchise. Must be his fault. He's not giving them the decision.

I would imagine that his decision will not be made until he sees a finished draft, as I also imagine that EON are working with an army of lawyers re: any offers they're getting for future distributors.

I think he just has other things in his life as well. I don't think Daniel Craig spends his free time twiddling his thumbs and spending all his time on a film franchise forum wondering what's gonna happen next. Seriously, do people not have anything else going on in their own lives that they need to fill it up complaining about EON, MGW, BB and DC as if the Bond franchise is something they own, or as if it's the most important thing in the world? Come on people.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Let me rephrase.. I believe BB doesn't...

Other posters have had the same thought/fear yet y'all attack me?

BB knows what she's doing - a real gem of a producer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Here we go.

When it becomes necessary to come on here and piss on the opinions of others just because you don't agree with them, and to ascribe motives to them, then it's perhaps time for you to take a break from this site imho.

This is a discussion forum. People discuss. That's the nature of it. One can propose a counter argument, but I think it's nonsensical to try to shut down discussion by shaming those having the discussion, just because it doesn't fit one's world view.

At the present time, we have no legitimate news. All we have is rumour. Everything is up in the air. If people want to discuss that rumour until some concrete news comes along, I say go right ahead.

If some have a problem with it, there are dedicated appreciation threads on here (including one for Daniel Craig) where you can comfort yourselves.

Maybe so. Time will tell.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    bondjames wrote: »
    Here we go.

When it becomes necessary to come on here and piss on the opinions of others just because you don't agree with them, and to ascribe motives to them, then it's perhaps time for you to take a break from this site imho.

This is a discussion forum. People discuss. That's the nature of it. One can propose a counter argument, but I think it's nonsensical to try to shut down discussion by shaming those having the discussion, just because it doesn't fit one's world view.

At the present time, we have no legitimate news. All we have is rumour. Everything is up in the air. If people want to discuss that rumour until some concrete news comes along, I say go right ahead.

If some have a problem with it, there are dedicated appreciation threads on here (including one for Daniel Craig) where you can comfort yourselves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/05/23/could-gillian-anderson-be-the-next-james-bond-actress-tweets-moc/