No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

...and the best guy is...Mendes, at this point I really, really hope its everybody just not Turner, just to see you cry. Boy you are an annoying little...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes Craig is the best
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Unfortunately, given how SP ended, and the box they've put themselves into (at Craig's insistence or due to him not committing up front to a two picture deal?), I think if he returns we're just going to get more of the same rather than something more 'raw'. It's the direction the character has gone since he was cast. From rough around the edges to smooth relaxed veteran.

Precisely. =D>

I wouldn't say that was a given by any means. It depends on the script, the director and Craig himself. My guess is that he'll want to switch it up again should he do another.

Even if he did, so what? He's had a decade to do what he wanted. How could anyone claim that he is entitled to more?

Entitled to do more? He IS James Bond and as such is entitled to mull over another entry if it is on the table, and all the signs would suggest that offer is indeed on the table. The guy has been a monumental success.

You could say the same thing about Connery in 1971. Again, you are confusing quality with success. I'm sure a fifth Craig film would be very successful, but that doesn't mean its the brave move on EON's part. After a decade in the role, to suggest that Craig hasn't been given a fair shake is quite frankly ludicrous.

Where did I say Craig hasn't been given a fair shake?

Well if you don't think that then why are you arguing that he should continue playing Bond? Unless you don't think that the role should go to the best guy for the job, and just the one we're feeling sentimental about at the moment?

All I said is that I imagine Craig would switch it up again 'if' he were to take on another film. Pretty simple concept.

Waa? He would change it up but the parameters he is working in would not suddenly change. Think about the switch from Moore to Dalton and how the whole mood of the films changed, even though the same formula remained intact.
    The fact is Craig is the encumbant Bond, so any future Bond film (as of today) would be written with him in mind and to fit in the establish continuity of the last 4 films. We aren't going to see real dramatic change until Craig steps down and EON goes back to the drawing board with an entirely fresh direction. After a decade of the same arc repeating over and over, I thought this was pretty obvious.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    You make good points @Mendes4Lyfe. They could have taken a different tack with the Craig era, but given they chose to go with continuity & the rest of it, I don't really see a major change back to the gritty Bond until a new actor steps in. It would defeat the 'arc'.

It's almost like the Craig era is a microcosm which encapsulates the entire Bond era from 1962 (DN grit like CR) full circle to about 1997 (with the similarly cliched to SP - TND). So really all that's missing now is his DAD.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    erlana-larkins-quote-theres-always-room-for-improvement.jpg
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,090
    You make good points @Mendes4Lyfe. They could have taken a different tack with the Craig era, but given they chose to go with continuity & the rest of it, I don't really see a major change back to the gritty Bond until a new actor steps in. It would defeat the 'arc'.

It's almost like the Craig era is a microcosm which encapsulates the entire Bond era from 1962 (DN grit like CR) full circle to about 1997 (with the similarly cliched to SP - TND). So really all that's missing now is his DAD.

Yes, I agree.

Some seem to have a "just one more" mentality with Craig that frightens me. What they fail to realise is that "just one more, just one more" is what leads to "one too many" syndrome, as happened with Connery and Moore. Sure, Craig could come back for a fifth and end things on a high, but that has never happened before. If you're betting on something that risky actually coming off, then why not just go the full hog and recast. That doesn't seem like much of a riskier gambit to me, and the rewards will be tenfold. I don't think the franchise owes him a "last hurrah".
    Well, I don't think it's happened with Bond actors that had a lot of films; but Laz and Dalts went out on highs, IMO. Craig is the guy that can buck this trend.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    There is nothing frightening about wanting one more for Craig due to how Spectre ended. Period. It just makes sense to many of us.
    Unfortunately, given how SP ended, and the box they've put themselves into (at Craig's insistence or due to him not committing up front to a two picture deal?), I think if he returns we're just going to get more of the same rather than something more 'raw'. It's the direction the character has gone since he was cast. From rough around the edges to smooth relaxed veteran.

Precisely. =D>

I wouldn't say that was a given by any means. It depends on the script, the director and Craig himself. My guess is that he'll want to switch it up again should he do another.

I do agree with this.

And no matter if he comes back or not (and I much prefer one more for the story arc) Craig's era is golden; it has been an outstanding ride. I simply want it finished better, and no I'm not being hysterical or overreacting. Geez. Oh the franchise does not "owe" him another; that is not the point. It's about this particular Bond, and this particular story. Whatever happens, the series will move on.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 12,837
    I'd prefer a new actor too, and I think that's what will happen. My issue with a fifth Craig film is that I can't see a compelling direction they could take it in. I loved Spectre. It's up there with the Dalton films (my longtime favourites) for me, it was everything I've been asking for for years. But it was clearly written as an ending in my opinion. If they did a fifth Craig film, there are four options they could take

1) Blofeld escapes, Madeline gets killed off. My issue with this is that coming so soon after Vesper it just seems like a retread. The point of Madeline, to me at least, was a sort of twisted penance from Mr White to Bond. When Vesper died Bond sort of resigned himself to being 007 until death or retirement, even when he's given an out in Skyfall he can't stay away, but then along comes Madeline and he has a chance at a happy normal life again. Killing her off would just be pointless and lazy imo.

2) Blofeld escapes, Madeline lives. This would be a pointless continuation of the storyline. The only real narrative purpose would be to kill Blofeld off, when having him locked up for the rest of his life was actually more satisfying (because Bond's refusal to kill him represented him giving up his job as a spy/assassin).

3) Madeline is written out with some offhand explanation and Bond is back at work. Craig finally gets a straightforward, stand alone Bond on a mission film. As great as it would've been to see DC get a film like that, the opportunity has passed. Doing it now would be pointless after SP wrapped up his era nicely.

4) Madeline is written out with some offhand explanation, Bond is back at work, Blofeld escapes. Probably the worst option. Undermines the whole point of Spectre while also dragging on the storyline.

So I have no interest whatsoever in a fifth Craig film, because they've essentially written themselves into a corner. He's been great. He's by far the best actor (don't mean he's the my favourite, just the best in terms of acting ability) to take on the role imo. Have to confess that the massive disappointment of Quantum Of Solace blighted my opinion of his portrayal and his era for a good few years, but Skyfall won me back over and then Spectre was the cherry on the cake. One of the best Bonds without a doubt. But I think his time is done now. It's time for him and EON to move on.

Wouldn't mind if Mendes returns. I'm apparently in the minority on this site, but I prefer the latter half of the Craig era to the first. I went off him a bit when he held up production of SP but that film was worth the wait. I'd love to see what he could do with a new actor. Or they could try to get Martin Campbell back, GE CR and the first film of the next guy could make a nice spiritual trilogy. Or they could go for some new blood. After two big blockbusters in a row, I'd love to see a stripped back, bare bones crime thriller esque Bond film, written and directed by either Danny Boyle or Gareth Evans. Or if they wanted another big blockbuster spectacle I'd love to see what Chris Nolan could do with the character.

The possibilities are endless. I just hope we get some solid news sooner rather than later.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    We need ONE more from Craig to officially conclude the story set up in SPECTRE. Otherwise something will feel incomplete.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 12,459
    I like your ideas, @thelivingroyale, but I do feel one more film would be a far better finish, coming after Spectre - which I thoroughly enjoyed but it feels "left hanging", not at all finished for me. If I felt it did feel like the perfect ending, a finished story then I'd agree completely. But it really does NOT feel at all finished to me.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    We need ONE more from Craig to officially conclude the story set up in SPECTRE. Otherwise something will feel incomplete.

The 1st Blofeld got stuck in that bath-o-sub and didn't return for 10 years.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 12,837
    I like your ideas, @thelivingroyale, but I do feel one more film would be a far better finish, coming after Spectre - which I thoroughly enjoyed but it feels "left hanging", not at all finished for me.

Fair enough @4EverBonded. I guess it's open to interpretation. I did think that SP felt like a complete ending but the majority seem to share your opinion so perhaps I'm wrong. I am very interested to see whether he returns or not. I can't see many interesting story options if he returns, but (and this is one of the things I like best about the DC) I doubt he'd agree to do another if they didn't have at least an interesting idea of what to do with it.

I think Mendes will also be a factor. Even with Spectre's critical reception (which I thought was way off the mark), it still made EON a lot of money, and they seem to like Mendes. If he decided he wanted to make another, to finish off a sort of trilogy with Craig, I bet EON would be happy with that. But then the new distributor will probably come into play as well. I think this is probably the most curious I've ever been about the future direction of the series. I can't remember things ever seeming so up in the air in my lifetime.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    I'd prefer a new actor too, and I think that's what will happen. My issue with a fifth Craig film is that I can't see a compelling direction they could take it in. I loved Spectre. It's up there with the Dalton films (my longtime favourites) for me, it was everything I've been asking for for years. But it was clearly written as an ending in my opinion. If they did a fifth Craig film, there are four options they could take

1) Blofeld escapes, Madeline gets killed off. My issue with this is that coming so soon after Vesper it just seems like a retread. The point of Madeline, to me at least, was a sort of twisted penance from Mr White to Bond. When Vesper died Bond sort of resigned himself to being 007 until death or retirement, even when he's given an out in Skyfall he can't stay away, but then along comes Madeline and he has a chance at a happy normal life again. Killing her off would just be pointless and lazy imo.

2) Blofeld escapes, Madeline lives. This would be a pointless continuation of the storyline. The only real narrative purpose would be to kill Blofeld off, when having him locked up for the rest of his life was actually more satisfying (because Bond's refusal to kill him represented him giving up his job as a spy/assassin).

3) Madeline is written out with some offhand explanation and Bond is back at work. Craig finally gets a straightforward, stand alone Bond on a mission film. As great as it would've been to see DC get a film like that, the opportunity has passed. Doing it now would be pointless after SP wrapped up his era nicely.

4) Madeline is written out with some offhand explanation, Bond is back at work, Blofeld escapes. Probably the worst option. Undermines the whole point of Spectre while also dragging on the storyline.

So I have no interest whatsoever in a fifth Craig film, because they've essentially written themselves into a corner. He's been great. He's by far the best actor (don't mean he's the my favourite, just the best in terms of acting ability) to take on the role imo. Have to confess that the massive disappointment of Quantum Of Solace blighted my opinion of his portrayal and his era for a good few years, but Skyfall won me back over and then Spectre was the cherry on the cake. One of the best Bonds without a doubt. But I think his time is done now. It's time for him and EON to move on.

Wouldn't mind if Mendes returns. I'm apparently in the minority on this site, but I prefer the latter half of the Craig era to the first. I went off him a bit when he held up production of SP but that film was worth the wait. I'd love to see what he could do with a new actor. Or they could try to get Martin Campbell back, GE CR and the first film of the next guy could make a nice spiritual trilogy. Or they could go for some new blood. After two big blockbusters in a row, I'd love to see a stripped back, bare bones crime thriller esque Bond film, written and directed by either Danny Boyle or Gareth Evans. Or if they wanted another big blockbuster spectacle I'd love to see what Chris Nolan could do with the character.

The possibilities are endless. I just hope we get some solid news sooner rather than later.

Great analysis @thelivingroyale. I have to agree on all points. i really don't know either how they want to continue the Story.
    at this point Craigs story can kind of only go into DAF/MR ridiculousness and i am not sure i wanna see that from Craig.... but on the other hand all great Bonds need to have a crappy ending, don't they :)
  • Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    Perhaps DC got the character right. No doubt he has done some great work behind the scenes regarding brining talent on board.

Yet I don't think they've got the stories right except for CR. For spy stories they're quite rubbish. I enjoyed SPECTRE as well, mostly because it wasn't so emotional as QoS and SF. With DC I'm still waiting for the return that cold, determined Bond he was when he contacted M right after Vesper committed suicide and said "The bitch is dead". I agree with @thelivingroyale that the franchise has written itself in a corner. I do hope I'm mistaken and some writer would have a brilliant idea how Blofeld might escape, SPECTRE will be lurking in the background and Bond is a single ladies man again, while making it all somewhat plausible.

If not I'd much rather go back to the standalone missions with a new Bond. Please bring back the smooth spy, the risky gambler and cold assassin.
    I feel @thelivingroyale is right that Craig won't return unless he finds the story interesting, compelling enough to do.
    I like your ideas, @thelivingroyale, but I do feel one more film would be a far better finish, coming after Spectre - which I thoroughly enjoyed but it feels "left hanging", not at all finished for me. If I felt it did feel like the perfect ending, a finished story then I'd agree completely. But it really does NOT feel at all finished to me.

Yeah it feels like a false ending, or the ending before the ending if you get me. Like in CR, book and film, there's the ending of defeating Le Chiffre at cards, then surviving torture and then the final end of Vesper's death.
  • peterpeter Toronto

What if Bond goes off with Swan? What if a year later, they're living in a beach house in some African village. She's teaching little kids now. But Bond...

... Bond is having difficulties adjusting to civilian life? He has a form of PTSD. He's so used to the danger, he's expecting it at every turn. And it never comes.

He insists on driving Madeline to work every day, and afterwards he goes back home (cos he doesn't know what an honest job is), and he works-out in his old homemade gym he's put together (kettle bells, bench press, chins, heavy bags); it's like he's training for something that he expects to happen. He's coiled and wired.

And the one day that he finally agrees not to drive Madeline to work, is the day that she's kidnapped (even though Bond still followed her), because;

Blofeld has escaped. He's kidnapped Madeline and takes her back to a base that he's been building for years. An entirely new UNIT 471 that the Japanese created in WWII. Blofeld's Garden of Death.

Meanwhile, we discover, the PTSD Bond is discovering goes back to the torture sequence in SP. Bond's nerve endings were severed, now making him susceptible to suggestion. And, while panicking about Madeline's whereabouts, he gets a call.

It's from Blofeld. It triggers a hypnotic resignation in Bond (reminiscent of OHMSS) . He's ordered to go back to London and kill M (TMWTGG novel).

This plan barely fails, but now, once Bond is rehabilitated back to health, he must not only save Madeline but save the world: Blofeld has demanded the complete disarmament of the world's Super Powers, or he releases deadly bio-attacks on the world's largest cities...

... or something like that? Are we still in a corner, thinking outside of the box that SP may've put us into???
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Agree with most except no more Mendes.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Craig is the best person to play JB and fans should be thankful for him to make another movie.

SP ended open ended.

No one cares about continuity. The audience doesn't care about the return of Spectre, Blofeld, Swann or their absence.

The audience and EON and whoever their partners end up being do care about DC playing JB.

EON will make whatever movie they want to and have clearly shown they will screw with anything, Fleming's books, characterization, series continuity, their own reboot, anything.

My continued plea is to ditch Mendes and his crew, hire a director and writer who understand action and suspense (who have no interest or experience with stage plays) and work off a FLEMING book. They resurrected their own series with CR, but still couldn't bring themselves to return to Fleming and have suffered movies that are not on the same level.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Connery still the best IMO.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Agree Connery is the best of all time, but I meant DC is best able to play him currently
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not sure we can actually say that with certainty, because DC is the only one who has actually played him recently.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,090
    The second person to just state that Craig is the best actor to play Bond today, despite no other actor even being given the opportunity for over 10 years. I'm sorry, I just don't see how Craig is so untouchably perfect as Bond. What is Craig going to give us with his fifth Bond film (at the age of 50+, after 10 years in the role) that will top what an actor could bring with their first? The Craig shtick is wearing thin at this point.
    The second person to just state that Craig is the best actor to play Bond today, despite no other actor even being given the opportunity for over 10 years. I'm sorry, I just don't see how Craig is so untouchably perfect as Bond. What is Craig going to give us with his fifth Bond film (at the age of 50+, after 10 years in the role) that will top what an actor could bring with their first? The Craig shtick is wearing thin at this point.

Ok for argument sake you have to options Craig does a fifth or Hiddleston begins his tenure. Still want to give Craig the heave ho after your complete distaste for Hiddleston as 007

Risico007 wrote: »

Ok for argument sake you have to options Craig does a fifth or Hiddleston begins his tenure. Still want to give Craig the heave ho after your complete distaste for Hiddleston as 007

I have answered this before. Hiddleston would bring about the greater change in direction and reinvention of the character. In the end, the Bond actor is such a small element in the grand scheme of things. What matters is that the franchise is headed in the right direction. With Craig at the helm, I feel like we're treading water. Hiddleston does nothing for me, but his casting would force EON to rethink Bond (and bond films) from the ground up. After 10 years of Craig, I think that is needed ASAP.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,598
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Don't assume the thoughts of others.

That statement explains this entire whiny thread in a nutshell. It's a never-ending game of "Pretend You're EON and Daniel and Actually Know What is Going on Behind Closed Doors." I've been tempted on numerous times just to stop reading this thread, because the amount of times I've been impressed by level-headed arguments and the relative discourse of this discussion pale in comparison to how much I regularly want to bash my head off the table nearest me until the incessant moaning goes away.

This current situation is why media and how people consume media can be so poisonous. People will believe everything if you tie it in a pretty bow and serve it to them on a platter. Many here bemoaning Dan's exit aren't this bad, obviously, but others aren't far from the margin.

I've never had one moment where I actually thought Dan was done as Bond, no matter how many of these stories flood the media. Some copy and paste articles aren't suddenly going to cause me to worry, especially when they say nothing new. This kind of thing (reports of Dan leaving) get drummed up every time there's a stretch of time between Bond films. And worse enough, comments that he made with obvious frivolity (wrist-slashing) are taken and misconstrued as truth by media outlets who should know better than that (not the Daily Mail's of the world, of course, but upstanding and reputable sources of news).

For me, this "news" changes literally nothing. I can see a future where Bond 25 is coming out, with Dan at the helm once again.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This armchair producing and blind assumptions of how EON or Dan are thinking is quite baffling and rather silly. This whole thread could be summed up in this one video. ;)

Well, I'm not assuming Craig has left but there's nothing wrong with speculating. Maybe I should have started the sentence with "If Craig has left...". Seriously, in the past these media outlets have got it right...although I'm not suggesting they're right this time. Who the hell knows..? They do write a lot of trash as well.

Many didn't believe the articles pertaining to the fact that Bond 22 would be called Quantum of Solace. This is just one example.

My god, that baby crying is just scary.

I can't understand the comments stating that Mendes and Craig have done all they can do with Bond. This just isn't true. They're artists with imagination. There are always other facets to explore. These movies simply need a good story with some decent character movement and we would get something fresh. I'd love for Craig to return and will be most disappointed if the news regarding his retirement from the role is true. In terms of Mendes, I don't really care either way. Unfortunately Spectre was just too one dimensional in terms of characters which was particularly disappointing after the great CR and still wonderful, but to a slightly lesser extent, Skyfall. You can still have a big bombastic Bond story like Spectre with the character work of CR and SF. It seems like this is a concept that the Bond makers still haven't grasped.

Regarding the great Bond Pepsi ad posted on the main page, I remember watching this on TV in 1996 but I have no idea who played James Bond. I've always loved the way that guy says "shaken not stirred". Cool, fun delivery.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

What makes Dan as Bond so great, especially in a final fifth film? Well, to quote yourself, @Mendes4Lyfe, "I'm not going to make that more obvious. If you see it, you see it."

I honestly don't know how people can't see the majesty that would come from Dan doing a last Bond film where the character deals with life after the bullets and blood, something we haven't seen before, mind you. Bond would be questioning his life purpose after all the missions and killing, trying to come to grips with what his identity is after MI6 and if he can truly settle down when those duties became more than just a part of him. The film would be unlike anything else in the Bond catalogue, its own separate story that explored a part of Bond unseen previously, just like OHMSS did way back in 69.

We've never seen the last Bond story told before, where a Bond actor gets to tie off their era in a movie with actual finality to it before another actor comes along. Bond 25 told as the last Bond story would give us content we've never come close to seeing before on the big screen, and with Dan at the center of it all, you can't tell me that isn't tantalizing. The film would wrap up what was left in SP, give a concrete conclusion to Dan's era, and focus more on character and overall narrative strength over action and big budget thrills, which is something we obviously need to step away from. Tell a strong, character-centric Bond adventure that really digs deep into who he is as a man, and what his life after MI6 would be, pulling no punches.

Mirror Bond's story with that of Blofeld's, who also feels uncomfortable and out of place with his new life, usurped from his SPECTRE throne and feeling powerless and transparent behind cell bars, subtracted from a world he hoped to control. Make the organization in ruin amidst a power struggle, with members turning on members, fractured and crumbling, a corrupt and futile machine, just as Ernst viewed MI6.

Come on, now. Who wouldn't want to see that?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

What makes Dan as Bond so great, especially in a final fifth film? Well, to quote yourself, @Mendes4Lyfe, "I'm not going to make that more obvious. If you see it, you see it."

I honestly don't know how people can't see the majesty that would come from Dan doing a last Bond film where the character deals with life after the bullets and blood, something we haven't seen before, mind you. Bond would be questioning his life purpose after all the missions and killing, trying to come to grips with what his identity is after MI6 and if he can truly settle down when those duties became more than just a part of him. The film would be unlike anything else in the Bond catalogue, its own separate story that explored a part of Bond unseen previously, just like OHMSS did way back in 69.

We've never seen the last Bond story told before, where a Bond actor gets to tie off their era in a movie with actual finality to it before another actor comes along. Bond 25 told as the last Bond story would give us content we've never come close to seeing before on the big screen, and with Dan at the center of it all, you can't tell me that isn't tantalizing. The film would wrap up what was left in SP, give a concrete conclusion to Dan's era, and focus more on character and overall narrative strength over action and big budget thrills, which is something we obviously need to step away from. Tell a strong, character-centric Bond adventure that really digs deep into who he is as a man, and what his life after MI6 would be, pulling no punches.

Mirror Bond's story with that of Blofeld's, who also feels uncomfortable and out of place with his new life, usurped from his SPECTRE throne and feeling powerless and transparent behind cell bars, subtracted from a world he hoped to control. Make the organization in ruin amidst a power struggle, with members turning on members, fractured and crumbling, a corrupt and futile machine, just as Ernst viewed MI6.

Come on, now. Who wouldn't want to see that?

This is exactly what I would like to see in B25.

I wrote a treatment for the forthcoming Bond entry in the plot ideas thread. I like to think it touches on some of the elements you listed, but maybe aren't as eloquent as you described them just now.