No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Murdock wrote: »
    I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.

I don't want remakes of 'The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker or Die Another Day. Mendes brought some new ideas to the franchise. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Bond25.
    I'm sure constantly using the family melodrama issues, soap operatic elements and Nolan-lite attitude is very fresh and endearing.

This. It was fresh and exciting once. Interesting the second time. Maybe a little endearing the third time. Now after the forth time it's just plain darn stale.
    Makes you really glad some of the people commenting here don't have a say in the production of the James Bond franchise. The world would've been a nightmarish place otherwise.

But I also am happy that Edgar Wright isn't directing Bond. They can go too far the other way too, and Wright's style is a little too "overt" for my tastes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,554
    peter wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: FILM CREW TOLD TO GO HOME, PROJECT ON HOLD

Uh-oh...

https://deadline.com/2018/08/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-pre-production-crew-dismissed-as-project-goes-on-hold-1202452104/

Oh, wait, not Bond...

Right, Disney can do no wrong and Eon sucks...

GoTG is a production in trouble, with their stars/entire leading cast, going against the producers-- some more passively, some more aggressively (see Bautista).

It seems Marvel/Disney has had serious issues starting with Wright's dismissal on ANT MAN, ROGUE ONE, SOLO, GOTG... that's a lot of years showing a growing dysfunction...

But, you know Babs and EoN are amateur-hour producers and Cubby's rolling in his grave....

Yah... right.

I made this connection earlier. @Mendes4Lyfe didn't think it applied. But as you have shown here, it does.

matt_u wrote: »
    Talk about a reversal of fortune.

10 years on, hearing Forster mentioned in a positive light is quite a development. Shocking, really.

And within some years it will be Spectre's turn...

You might be right. My anger toward SP has softened a lot over the past six months or so.
    A good opening point I agree with.

I disagree that Forster's Tosca flourish in Quantum of Solace was any kind of mistake. It was a highlight of a fine Bond film.

Indeed. That entire sequence (set up by Arnold's finest piece of Bond music) is exceptional.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.

I don't want remakes of 'The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker or Die Another Day. Mendes brought some new ideas to the franchise. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Bond25.
    I'm sure constantly using the family melodrama issues, soap operatic elements and Nolan-lite attitude is very fresh and endearing.

This. It was fresh and exciting once. Interesting the second time. Maybe a little endearing the third time. Now after the forth time it's just plain darn stale.
    Makes you really glad some of the people commenting here don't have a say in the production of the James Bond franchise. The world would've been a nightmarish place otherwise.

But I also am happy that Edgar Wright isn't directing Bond. They can go too far the other way too, and Wright's style is a little too "overt" for my tastes.
    I never endorsed Wright. You're right, he's a bit too "overt" with his "stylish" approach. I don't want a director who would enforce his style upon the Bond film. I want the Bond film to be the main star, directed by whoever is at the helm. Not the other way around.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I never endorsed Wright. You're right, he's a bit too "overt" with his "stylish" approach. I don't want a director who would enforce his style upon the Bond film. I want the Bond film to be the main star, directed by whoever is at the helm. Not the other way around.

I agree with both of you.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,110

I agree, I would like a more workman-like director. Campbell is the ultimate guy from that type of thing, but there are many options, just no one who thinks "I have this brand new genius idea for a Bond movie that's never been tried before, allow me to unleash it upon the masses".
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Where is this Yann speculation coming from?? There has barely been any confirmation of his involvement at all.
    Where is this Yann speculation coming from?? There has barely been any confirmation of his involvement at all.

According to deadline he was invited to a meeting with a few others, to hear more about Bond 25.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Has Yann ever been confirmed to be in talks with EON? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen an official source of this.

Yann Demange's name has been linked to the project since July 2016.

He was first mentioned by Mike Fleming in Deadline (the same journalist who confirmed that P&W's draft was being ditched for an effort by Boyle/Hodge):
    https://deadline.com/2017/07/james-bond-director-short-list-yann-demange-denis-villenueve-david-mackenzie-1202136402/

Then Variety confirmed that Yann Demange was the favourite (Justin Kroll broke the news and he was also the one who revealed Boyle was the new favourite earlier this year):
    https://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/

That's the only confirmation of Demange's name aside from the rumour from Deadline that he is back in consideration after the Boylexit.

Eon don't confirm or deny rumours, so you'll only hear from them IF Demange is hired.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Has Yann ever been confirmed to be in talks with EON? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen an official source of this.

Yann Demange's name has been linked to the project since July 2016.

He was first mentioned by Mike Fleming in Deadline (the same journalist who confirmed that P&W's draft was being ditched for an effort by Boyle/Hodge):
    https://deadline.com/2017/07/james-bond-director-short-list-yann-demange-denis-villenueve-david-mackenzie-1202136402/

Then Variety confirmed that Yann Demange was the favourite (Justin Kroll broke the news and he was also the one who revealed Boyle was the new favourite earlier this year):
    https://variety.com/2017/film/news/yann-demange-bond-25-daniel-craig-likely-to-return-1202507288/

That's the only confirmation of Demange's name aside from the rumour from Deadline that he is back in consideration after the Boylexit.

Eon don't confirm or deny rumours, so you'll only hear from them IF Demange is hired.

Correct....!
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Gutted to be losing Boyle but if we're looking at the names rumoured before, I'd be pretty happy with Demange or Mackenzie. Starred Up and 71 were both brilliant. Top Boy and Hell and High Water were really good too.

Both have worked with Jack O Connell before too, so if one of them gets the gig and decides to stick around and do the next one, you never know. He might get a look in. I think he's very much Barbara's type and would do a great job.

@Peter was on about fresh ideas. Don't know what in his post made you two decide he was advocating for more Mendes esque films. I think his point was that Mendes put his own spin on it, as any director should do to keep it fresh and interesting.

But if we're making bitchy comments then yeah, likewise, I'm glad a lot of the members on here don't have a say too, since it seems like a lot of the members on here would be satisfied with bland, passionless formula driven movies starring a good looking robot like Henry Cavill.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Mendes' approach could have sustained a third film either and I'm fine with tradition. QoS had me really craving it for a while actually. But I think SF and SP struck a great balance between trying new things while still reintroducing some of the fun stuff that had been missed and I think taking risks is important. I don't want run of the mill generic Bond film after Bond film. Even the most "traditional" eras (Glen, Brosnan) tried lots of new things.

We don't even know what Boyle/Hodge's idea was, we could have missed out on something brilliant (likely imo considering their talent) and yet we're hoping it's been scrapped because oh no, shock horror, not something new. It's that sort of attitude that's given us so many of the worst Bond films imo (DAF, MR, TND). Taking risks and doing different things with Bond shouldn't be scary, it's what's kept the series going so long.
    If thats the case then get Demange or Wright in now and bloody get on with it !!!!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Gutted to be losing Boyle but if we're looking at the names rumoured before, I'd be pretty happy with Demange or Mackenzie. Starred Up and 71 were both brilliant. Top Boy and Hell and High Water were really good too.

Both have worked with Jack O Connell before too, so if one of them gets the gig and decides to stick around and do the next one, you never know. He might get a look in. I think he's very much Barbara's type and would do a great job.

@Peter was on about fresh ideas. Don't know what in his post made you two decide he was advocating for more Mendes esque films. I think his point was that Mendes put his own spin on it, as any director should do to keep it fresh and interesting.

But if we're making bitchy comments then yeah, likewise, I'm glad a lot of the members on here don't have a say too, since it seems like a lot of the members on here would be satisfied with bland, passionless formula driven movies starring a good looking robot like Henry Cavill.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Mendes' approach could have sustained a third film either and I'm fine with tradition. QoS had me really craving it for a while actually. But I think SF and SP struck a great balance between trying new things while still reintroducing some of the fun stuff that had been missed and I think taking risks is important. I don't want run of the mill generic Bond film after Bond film. Even the most "traditional" eras (Glen, Brosnan) tried lots of new things.

We don't even know what Boyle/Hodge's idea was, we could have missed out on something brilliant (likely imo considering their talent) and yet we're hoping it's been scrapped because oh no, shock horror, not something new. It's that sort of attitude that's given us so many of the worst Bond films imo (DAF, MR, TND). Taking risks and doing different things with Bond shouldn't be scary, it's what's kept the series going so long.

I think this was for @PeterGreenhill
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I'm going to make a bold prediction here and hopefully this will be the case on Monday eon will announce that yann demange will take over as director purvis and wade will be brought back to polish hodge's script and the film will still be on schedule and not delayed meaning the start date will still remain dec 3
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    But I think SF and SP struck a great balance between trying new things while still reintroducing some of the fun stuff that had been missed...
    Definitely agree.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I'm going to make a bold prediction here and hopefully this will be the case on Monday eon will announce that yann demange will take over as director purvis and wade will be brought back to polish hodge's script and the film will still be on schedule and not delayed meaning the start date will still remain dec 3

I don’t know if the announcement will be that quick, but I think generally this will be the case (although I think they may be looking for other polishers; if they can’t find fresh writers, then yes, go back to some loyal foot soldiers).
    Personally, I really don’t want SPECTRE, Part 2. I’m hopeful they will do something more original and fun than that. I think the SPECTRE organization and Blofeld should be kept away until the next era (maybe even further than that). Just give Craig an epic, fun standalone Bond adventure to conclude his era. The fans would love that much more than another SP I think. No need to emphasize the fact it’s his last in the film or anything like that. And certainly no killing off Bond - ever.
    My personal hope is that Campbell returns and directs a new Bond film in 2020, without Craig. If there is pressure from Universal and others to rush a Bond film out, but Craig doesn't want to be a part of it, then EON will have no time to court their artsy directors. Campbell is the go-to man when they are in a hole, so it makes sense they would throw everything into just a standard Bond adventure that reins in the budget and rediscovers Bond roots of grounded espionage thrillers. Hire some one like Aidan Turner who would be available and they can start shooting in 2020 for a October/November release.
    This is a friendly reminder that the first movie of the next actor will be directed by none other than Chris Nolan. Also, Aiden Turner will never appear in a Bond movie.

Huh?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

I don’t know if the announcement will be that quick, but I think generally this will be the case (although I think they may be looking for other polishers; if they can’t find fresh writers, then yes, go back to some loyal foot soldiers).

Well it can't come any later I really am hoping it's demange I like edger wright but I feel a little uncomfortable with him after pulling out of ant-man cause of the same reasons that boyle pulled out but eon really need to move fast cause the you know what has really hit the fan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Personally, I really don’t want SPECTRE, Part 2. I’m hopeful they will do something more original and fun than that. I think the SPECTRE organization and Blofeld should be kept away until the next era (maybe even further than that). Just give Craig an epic, fun standalone Bond adventure to conclude his era. The fans would love that much more than another SP I think. No need to emphasize the fact it’s his last in the film or anything like that. And certainly no killing off Bond - ever.

Well said..and a lot of people arnt sure that he will quit after this,with the anniversary coming up,so there wll be no mention of his last film or a stupid death idea,just in case.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If thats the case then get Demange or Wright in now and bloody get on with it !!!!

Demange please, or preferably David Mackenzie...but no to Edgar Wright!!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My personal hope is that Campbell returns and directs a new Bond film in 2020, without Craig. If there is pressure from Universal and others to rush a Bond film out, but Craig doesn't want to be a part of it, then EON will have no time to court their artsy directors. Campbell is the go-to man when they are in a hole, so it makes sense they would throw everything into just a standard Bond adventure that reins in the budget and rediscovers Bond roots of grounded espionage thrillers. Hire some one like Aidan Turner who would be available and they can start shooting in 2020 for a October/November release.
    This is a friendly reminder that the first movie of the next actor will be directed by none other than Chris Nolan. Also, Aiden Turner will never appear in a Bond movie.

Huh?

It's that damn crystal ball of his, @Torgeirtrap
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Tuck91 and @AlexanderWaverly
    Can you please avoid double posting? You can use the edit button (under options) --> see the little wheel that appears when you move your cursor around a bit.

icon-ios7-gear-512.png

Thank you. :)

When did I double post?

Right above my post. :)

These are the two posts I had above your post. They're two different posts, not duplicated posts.

mi6-message-board-aug25.png

Huh?

It's that damn crystal ball of his, @Torgeirtrap

Ah, I didn't know he could predict the future!
  • peterpeter Toronto

Well it can't come any later I really am hoping it's demange I like edger wright but I feel a little uncomfortable with him after pulling out of ant-man cause of the same reasons that boyle pulled out but eon really need to move fast cause the you know what has really hit the fan!

I’m not too worried if the shoot is delayed by a few weeks. I am of the mind, could be wrong, they will still hit release dates.

Remember, things in preproduction can still move ahead (set building and scouting), while a director is decided upon.

Deadline reported that it will have to be inside of 60 days.

That makes sense.

I’m surprised Wright is on the short list. He’d definitely want to pull back, I’d think, to make an Edgar Wright film. And, shoot me, I thought Baby Driver was fine. Just fine.

There’s something about Demange that gives a positive vibe and a natural edginess.

Peter was on about fresh ideas. Don't know what in his post made you two decide he was advocating for more Mendes esque films. I think his point was that Mendes put his own spin on it, as any director should do to keep it fresh and interesting.

You're churning out a lot out of very little to nothing here.

What Peter stated there wasn't about "fresh" ideas (If Spectre is fresh, then I'll eat my hat), he wanted his Bond films to continue down the line of the same templates that have been playing out for twelve years now. It was fresh the first time, tolerable for the second time, worn out by the third time. Let's not jump the shark here by spewing bias.

I'd rather have Cavill - a block of wood to many people - than some BBC soap actor many members are endorsing who have little to nothing in common with the character you're all proposing them to play. If people want Oscar-bait materials with Shakespearean templates planted all over, then perhaps it's time to just change flags and go reside somewhere else - look for a different franchise.

You could still pull off a traditional Bond film without telling the same story. You could try bringing in new scenes and a storyline that's different, yet still keeping the respective Bond film identifiable as one. Bond as a villain? Turning out to be a traitor? Betraying his country and working for SPECTRE? Going mad and experience a psychological breakdown only to realize his mistake in the end and commit suicide? That's the radical element many people here are making implications for wanting. Let's repeat the same bland storytelling of the last three films where the villains haven't changed, the atmosphere is the same, and the linear sequences sure as hell haven't changed since Casino Royale. They're still remaining in the past started in 2006. Afraid to taking risks to evolve Craig's Bond into an agent but repeating what worked in his debut. That itself has become a formula.

I, for one, want the other formula where we get a James Bond thriller rather than memoirs of a rogue agent trying to find his place in the world.

You could say what you want about DAF, MR and TND being the worse in the series whatsoever, but these are some of the more go-to films when people want unapologetically defined Bond that's easy-going, amusing and above all, entertaining. I'd rather have those one after another than Bourne/Nolan ripoff films that make me yawn from the start to the end.
    You could say what you want about DAF, MR and TND being the worse in the series whatsoever, but these are some of the more go-to films when people want unapologetically defined Bond that's easy-going, amusing and above all, entertaining. I'd rather have those one after another than Bourne/Nolan ripoff films that make me yawn from the start to the end.

"+1" doesn't cover how much I agree with this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    +2,000,000. :D
  • RC7RC7

Peter was on about fresh ideas. Don't know what in his post made you two decide he was advocating for more Mendes esque films. I think his point was that Mendes put his own spin on it, as any director should do to keep it fresh and interesting.

You're churning out a lot out of very little to nothing here.

What Peter stated there wasn't about "fresh" ideas (If Spectre is fresh, then I'll eat my hat), he wanted his Bond films to continue down the line of the same templates that have been playing out for twelve years now. It was fresh the first time, tolerable for the second time, worn out by the third time. Let's not jump the shark here by spewing bias.

I'd rather have Cavill - a block of wood to many people - than some BBC soap actor many members are endorsing who have little to nothing in common with the character you're all proposing them to play. If people want Oscar-bait materials with Shakespearean templates planted all over, then perhaps it's time to just change flags and go reside somewhere else - look for a different franchise.

You could still pull off a traditional Bond film without telling the same story. You could try bringing in new scenes and a storyline that's different, yet still keeping the respective Bond film identifiable as one. Bond as a villain? Turning out to be a traitor? Betraying his country and working for SPECTRE? Going mad and experience a psychological breakdown only to realize his mistake in the end and commit suicide? That's the radical element many people here are making implications for wanting. Let's repeat the same bland storytelling of the last three films where the villains haven't changed, the atmosphere is the same, and the linear sequences sure as hell haven't changed since Casino Royale. They're still remaining in the past started in 2006. Afraid to taking risks to evolve Craig's Bond into an agent but repeating what worked in his debut. That itself has become a formula.

I, for one, want the other formula where we get a James Bond thriller rather than memoirs of a rogue agent trying to find his place in the world.

@PeterGreenhill said: Mendes brought some new ideas to the franchise. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Bond25.

He’s correct, Mendes did bring new ideas to the series and I agree with him that trend should continue. Note - he doesn’t say ‘the same ideas’, merely ‘new’ ideas. I don’t see why that’s an issue.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2018 Posts: 16,331
    Brofeld was a great fresh idea wasn't it? ;)
    Brofeld was a great idea wasn't it? ;)
    But, of course. ;)

Next stop: Irma Bunt, Brofeld's daughter, seeking revenge from Uncle James.