No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    DCisared wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I sometimes wish we could go back to the days before the Internet.
    Of course we'd have no Bond forum so that's a negative. But we also would have to wait patiently for actual news, instead of guessing or hoping all the time, speculating the outcome using a defunct crystal ball.

Totally agree

Ditto. Although I’d say ‘modern internet’. I’ve been discussing Bond online for just shy of 20 years and it wasn’t like this back at the turn of the millennium.

Ha ha i imagined partridge saying this.

Ha ha, I’m becoming Alan. I now agree with the death penalty, for murder and treason.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Agreed @Walecs. I thought the same thing when I read that cobbled together DM piece: SP was to some degree a soft retelling of OHMSS with the same themes that you mentioned above. The usage of the Shatterhand title would hint towards delving into the YOLT novel territory, not OHMSS material. Clearly, Alison Boshoff hasn’t done her research very thoroughly, otherwise she’d have known that Dr. Guntram Shatterhand follows on from the OHMSS novel with its direct sequel... YOLT.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    DCisared wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I sometimes wish we could go back to the days before the Internet.
    Of course we'd have no Bond forum so that's a negative. But we also would have to wait patiently for actual news, instead of guessing or hoping all the time, speculating the outcome using a defunct crystal ball.

Totally agree

Ditto. Although I’d say ‘modern internet’. I’ve been discussing Bond online for just shy of 20 years and it wasn’t like this back at the turn of the millennium.

Ha ha i imagined partridge saying this.

Ha ha, I’m becoming Alan. I now agree with the death penalty, for murder and treason.

Just be careful of getting a fat back or an addiction to toblerone.
  • Whatever happens now, I hope we hear more about the Boyle/Hodge film in the future. I'm always interested in those sorts of "what if" Bond films, like Hunt's DAF or Dalton's third.

If it's a case of Boyle feeling out of his depth then fair enough I suppose. But if any of the other rumours are true and the script has been rejected because of it being too radical, or because EON/Craig disagreed on the casting, then I'm pretty disappointed. They basically gave Mendes and Logan free reign so why not Boyle? He's definitely done enough to prove he should be trusted imo. There was a time (between QoS and SF) when I craved tradition because I just didn't think the risks/deviations they'd been taking had been paying off, but Boyle is one of those filmmakers where he's so good I would have just loved to see his undiluted take on it no matter what. Bond is unique in that they'd have to try really, really hard to sink the franchise. The films have lasted 50 years already, they're basically guaranteed to still be successful and outlive all of us so why not take risks with it.

Even if everything is still on track and we don't get a delay (lets hope so, if it comes to waiting five years for just another film in an era that feels like it's run its course that's a bit of a piss take imo), I can't help feeling really disappointed by all this. I think Boyle is one of the best directors ever and I loved the idea of him doing a Bond film.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    My personal hope is that Campbell returns and directs a new Bond film in 2020, without Craig. If there is pressure from Universal and others to rush a Bond film out, but Craig doesn't want to be a part of it, then EON will have no time to court their artsy directors. Campbell is the go-to man when they are in a hole, so it makes sense they would throw everything into just a standard Bond adventure that reins in the budget and rediscovers Bond roots of grounded espionage thrillers. Hire some one like Aidan Turner who would be available and they can start shooting in 2020 for a October/November release.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    And I want Felix back!

And I just want a bond film to eventually come out
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondjames wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    @Shardlake , if they use only one line of dialogue from Hodge, they will have to credit him in some capacity (there is a funny story from screenwriter Josh Friedman: his first credited film was in the Morgan Freeman film, Chain Reaction (with Keanu Reeves as well). He sold this film on spec. He was excited at the release (although, if memory serves, he didn't get an invite to the premiere?... Anyways, he watches the film upon release, and one line, one line of dialogue, remained from his original script. Everything else was binned! One line, and I think it was "We've got you Johnny", or some such generic line. Look this story up, it's quite funny and gives an insight into the writing process in Hollywood).

So, yes, one line from Hodge will have to be recognized in credit-- whether it's Original Story By

Danny Boyle and John Hodge

Screenplay By

Person X and Person Y
    and
    John Hodge

But, if they go all in on P&W with polishers on this script, they will give credit to these writers (and nothing to Hodge since nothing from his script was being used).
    Interesting as Peter Morgan doesn't get a credit for Skyfall as I do believe and correct me if I'm wrong the whole idea of M dying was his although the rest is either P&W, Logan.

P&W wanted to kill M in QoS, but they decided that if M had to die at the end the movie had to revolve around her, so that ended up in Skyfall.
    I was under the impression that this was a Mendes idea. I thought that was his whole big hook and would be a prerequisite for him taking the gig. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

somekind.jpg

This pic also reiterates that they wanted QoS in 2007.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Agreed @Walecs. I thought the same thing when I read that cobbled together DM piece: SP was to some degree a soft retelling of OHMSS with the same themes that you mentioned above. The usage of the Shatterhand title would hint towards delving into the YOLT novel territory, not OHMSS material. Clearly, Alison Boshoff hasn’t done her research very thoroughly, otherwise she’d have known that Dr. Guntram Shatterhand follows on from the OHMSS novel with its direct sequel... YOLT.

Exactly.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    My personal hope is that Campbell returns and directs a new Bond film in 2020, without Craig. If there is pressure from Universal and others to rush a Bond film out, but Craig doesn't want to be a part of it, then EON will have no time to court their artsy directors. Campbell is the go-to man when they are in a hole, so it makes sense they would throw everything into just a standard Bond adventure that reins in the budget and rediscovers Bond roots of grounded espionage thrillers. Hire some one like Aidan Turner who would be available and they can start shooting in 2020 for a October/November release.
    This is a friendly reminder that the first movie of the next actor will be directed by none other than Chris Nolan. Also, Aiden Turner will never appear in a Bond movie.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Shardlake , if they use only one line of dialogue from Hodge, they will have to credit him in some capacity (there is a funny story from screenwriter Josh Friedman: his first credited film was in the Morgan Freeman film, Chain Reaction (with Keanu Reeves as well). He sold this film on spec. He was excited at the release (although, if memory serves, he didn't get an invite to the premiere?... Anyways, he watches the film upon release, and one line, one line of dialogue, remained from his original script. Everything else was binned! One line, and I think it was "We've got you Johnny", or some such generic line. Look this story up, it's quite funny and gives an insight into the writing process in Hollywood).

So, yes, one line from Hodge will have to be recognized in credit-- whether it's Original Story By

Screenplay By

Person X and Person Y
    and
    John Hodge

But, if they go all in on P&W with polishers on this script, they will give credit to these writers (and nothing to Hodge since nothing from his script was being used).
    Interesting as Peter Morgan doesn't get a credit for Skyfall as I do believe and correct me if I'm wrong the whole idea of M dying was his although the rest is either P&W, Logan.

P&W wanted to kill M in QoS, but they decided that if M had to die at the end the movie had to revolve around her, so that ended up in Skyfall.
    I was under the impression that this was a Mendes idea. I thought that was his whole big hook and would be a prerequisite for him taking the gig. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

somekind.jpg
    Interesting. Thanks.

Screenplay By

Person X and Person Y
    and
    John Hodge

somekind.jpg

This pic also reiterates that they wanted QoS in 2007.
    bondsum wrote: »

Exactly.

The idea to kill M was first introduced in an early draft of QOS. Purvis and Wade had the idea and killed M off in QOS's second act and it spurred Bond to take the villain down in the finale. However, they didn't think it worked.

There was a consensus that M's death should be used as an idea for SF. It was then Peter Morgan who wrote the draft, which apparently ended with Bond killing M. Though I hear the M character was still in a supporting role in these drafts.

However, it was not till Mendes came on board that he ditched the Morgan script but kept the 'M dying' angle. It was Mendes who told P&W to not make M a supporting character but the female lead. Mendes has stated he built the whole film around Judi and her performance.

This is all confirmed in numerous sources but a good place to start is the Empire spoiler podcast for SF.

also @Walecs can you please tell me where you got that screenshot from?

edited August 2018 Posts: 8,087
    This is a friendly reminder that the first movie of the next actor will be directed by none other than Chris Nolan. Also, Aiden Turner will never appear in a Bond movie.

I think he (Turner) could be a prime candidate, as possessing all the qualities of undiscovered talent and media aptitude which are essential. But I know he is not valued by some, each to their own.

Mate, we all love having a laugh here from time to time, but at this point you're basically just spamming the forum. Turn it down a few notches, please.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Has Yann ever been confirmed to be in talks with EON? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen an official source of this.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    also @Walecs can you please tell me where you got that screenshot from?

@Pierce2Daniel Some Kind of Hero: The Remarkable Story of the James Bond Films
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,087
    If I had to guess at what most fans want from Bond 25, I would say simply a film without inner emotional turmoil or reflecting on the past. They introduced that theme with Dalton ofcourse, but what made those different is that we were along for the ride with him. We see how Sanchez treats Lieter, and how it effects Bond, so the vengeance is justified. What has happened more in recent times, is that we are told about a relationship we never really get to see in any level of detail, and then for the rest of this film we are supposed to feel that drama and past between the characters which we were never party to. Examples of this is GoldenEye (Bond and Alec), TND (Bond and Paris Carver), TWINE (Renard and M), Skyfall (Silva and M) and SP (Bond and Blofeld). I find when the central drama is built on a past we don't get to see, the rest of the film is limited in how "immediate" it can feel. There is nothing quite like Bond meeting a villain, and them seizing each other up with a bit of witty interplay.
  • I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.

I don't want remakes of 'The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker or Die Another Day. Mendes brought some new ideas to the franchise. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Bond25.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Yann Demange "flattered" by rumours connecting him to Bond 25
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/25/james-bond-25-yann-demange-director-danny-boyle-exit
    2400.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=030484285b27ed44fafe92272e616839

Interesting interview. Clearly an intelligent man.

He's still my no.1 choice.

I think he (Turner) could be a prime candidate, as possessing all the qualities of undiscovered talent and media aptitude which are essential. But I know he is not valued by some, each to their own.

Your enthusiasm for Turner really makes me want to track down AND THEN THERE WERE NONE and watch it. He looks great in the photo's I've seen of him there. I may get it online, actually.

By the time we're out of this mess, get B25 and are ready to move forward, Turner will probably be in his 40's. With some actors I prefer it that way. Pierce especially looked more appropriate for Bond in his '40's, IMO.

Hopefully by then Universal will have the Bond films ready to be produced every 2-3 years. I really don't want this long gap repeated on the next film.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Bond doesn't wear it on his sleeve--he's confronted with the emotional elements, then quickly moves on to complete a mission. It's part of making things tough for OO7.

I don't think this element of the films is so rejected by fans, longtime or otherwise. It's a natural part of the film formula at this point and it's proven successful again and again. And most of all, it doesn't stop any Bond mission from achieving greatness.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.

I don't want remakes of 'The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker or Die Another Day. Mendes brought some new ideas to the franchise. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Bond25.
    I'm sure constantly using the family melodrama issues, soap operatic elements and Nolan-lite attitude is very fresh and endearing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yann Demange "flattered" by rumours connecting him to Bond 25
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/25/james-bond-25-yann-demange-director-danny-boyle-exit
    2400.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=030484285b27ed44fafe92272e616839

Interesting interview. Clearly an intelligent man.

He's still my no.1 choice.

Me too-- when Boyle was first announced, I was a little disappointed since I wanted to see what this guy could do.

And now he's back in the running, I hope he has a shot, and a shot at DC's last. White Boy Rick looks awesome, and '71 was tightly executed. I like this guy's energy.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616

Screenplay By

Person X and Person Y
    and
    John Hodge

The other thing to consider is that EON likes to recycle unused ideas and action setpieces, often without giving credit to the original writer. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH contains at least two things (the underground nuclear test site sequence and the helicopters-with-buzzsaws idea) that originated in Michael France's draft of GOLDENEYE. France, of course, was not credited on TWINE.

So, basically, we may see things developed by Hodge appearing in Bond 25 (or even Bond 26 or 27...) but without Hodge's name in the credits.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.

I'm sure constantly using the family melodrama issues, soap operatic elements and Nolan-lite attitude is very fresh and endearing.

This. It was fresh and exciting once. Interesting the second time. Maybe a little endearing the third time. Now after the forth time it's just plain darn stale.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Screenplay By

Person X and Person Y
    and
    John Hodge

The other thing to consider is that EON likes to recycle unused ideas and action setpieces, often without giving credit to the original writer. THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH contains at least two things (the underground nuclear test site sequence and the helicopters-with-buzzsaws idea) that originated in Michael France's draft of GOLDENEYE. France, of course, was not credited on TWINE.

So, basically, we may see things developed by Hodge appearing in Bond 25 (or even Bond 26 or 27...) but without Hodge's name in the credits.

True, but they own everything in the scripts, paid for them, and their contracts will be air tight to insure that they don't get sued.

I assume they changed enough of these "inspirations" where they wouldn't have to give credit on later films. Just a guess.
    Murdock wrote: »

This. It was fresh and exciting once. Interesting the second time. Maybe a little endearing the third time. Now after the forth time it's just plain darn stale.

And we could be headed for a fifth.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I thought Demange was out of the question due to “Dune.” Or am I confusing him with a different director?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I thought Demange was out of the question due to “Dune.” Or am I confusing him with a different director?

That was Villenueve...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »

Makes you really glad some of the people commenting here don't have a say in the production of the James Bond franchise. The world would've been a nightmarish place otherwise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    And we could be headed for a fifth.
    Hopefully not.

Makes you really glad some of the people commenting here don't have a say in the production of the James Bond franchise. The world would've been a nightmarish place otherwise.

Indeed. :))
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

That was Villenueve...

Thanks for the clarification, Peter. I hope this man gets the job.