No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 4,400
    The Daily Mail's ultimate hack journalist, Alison Boshoff has written her "exclusive" scoop on what happened behind the scenes.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6096309/Whos-REAL-James-Bond-villain-Barbara-Broccoli-007-Daniel-Craig-director-Danny-Boyle.html

- Apparently everyone was excited in December 2017 when Boyle met with Eon and had an idea to truly shake up the franchise.
    - The script was delievered in spring 2018 and nobody was thrilled with it. It's described as dark and humourless.
    - Eon had faith and were unwilling to ditch the Boyle/Hodge effort.
    - Purvis and Wade's previous draft was called 'Shatterhand' and was a OHMSS remake.
    - An exit may suit Craig as he has a child on the way.

Meanwhile, someone from the Toronto film news website has confirmed that Jean-Marc Vallee will not be directing as he is making a John Lennon/Yoko Ono biopic (this was previously rumoured by the credible Jeff Snieder at Collider)

Univex wrote: »

The Piss Filter was really annoying. I just can't understand why they would want that.

What you derogatorily refer to as "piss filter" is just part of Hoyte van Hoytema's usual aesthetic. You can see it in his other films like INTERSTELLAR which came a year earlier. He always employed a more otherworldly look to his films. Admittedly it's unusual for Bond films, as they typically in the past went with real world colors, so it's no surprise the more conservative Bond fans don't like seeing that kind of experimentation done (like those who hate the "the dead are alive" title after the gun barrel, instead of the usual iris opening up).

If I have one reservation, I do wish the gun barrel didn't use that color pallet. Otherwise, the film looks perfectly fine to me.

You mention "otherworldly". That's part of the issue I have with this filter. It looks completely unnatural (just look at the PTS), and doesn't add anything that justify why it should be used. It's unpleasant to look at, IMO.

Not to mention it washed away all the beautiful and vibrant colours in the day of the dead sequence. And made the snow in Austria look like a banana granizado.

Exactly! I might remember wrong, but I think I saw some movie stills without filtered colours (might have ben a fan made thing). Looked way better than what was presented on screen.

No arguments from me regarding the Austria sequence either!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The Daily Mail's ultimate hack journalist, Alison Boshoff has written her "exclusive" scoop on what happened behind the scenes.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6096309/Whos-REAL-James-Bond-villain-Barbara-Broccoli-007-Daniel-Craig-director-Danny-Boyle.html

- Apparently everyone was excited in December 2017 when Boyle met with Eon and had an idea to truly shake up the franchise.
    - The script was delievered in spring 2018 and nobody was thrilled with it. It's described as dark and humourless.
    - Purvis and Wade's previous draft was called 'Shatterhand' and was a OHMSS remake.

Meanwhile, someone from the Toronto film news website has confirmed that Jean-Marc Vallee will not be directing as he is making a John Lennon/Yoko Ono biopic (this was previously rumoured by the credible Jeff Snieder at Collider)

Just give Bond an Asian and you'll get the same. Bond is better.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,665

The Piss Filter was really annoying. I just can't understand why they would want that.

What you derogatorily refer to as "piss filter" is just part of Hoyte van Hoytema's usual aesthetic. You can see it in his other films like INTERSTELLAR which came a year earlier. He always employed a more otherworldly look to his films. Admittedly it's unusual for Bond films, as they typically in the past went with real world colors, so it's no surprise the more conservative Bond fans don't like seeing that kind of experimentation done (like those who hate the "the dead are alive" title after the gun barrel, instead of the usual iris opening up).

If I have one reservation, I do wish the gun barrel didn't use that color pallet. Otherwise, the film looks perfectly fine to me.

You mention "otherworldly". That's part of the issue I have with this filter. It looks completely unnatural (just look at the PTS), and doesn't add anything that justify why it should be used. It's unpleasant to look at, IMO.

Not to mention it washed away all the beautiful and vibrant colours in the day of the dead sequence. And made the snow in Austria look like a banana granizado.

Exactly! I might remember wrong, but I think I saw some movie stills without filtered colours (might have ben a fan made thing). Looked way better than what was presented on screen.

And that gorgeous green marble meeting room in Rome...[img]http://thespaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Palazzo-Rome-©AndersonLow-All-Rights-Reserved-1050x789.jpg[/img]
    What the hell happened there? But hey, I guess this is a subject for another thread. Not here. Let's move on to discarding Vallee as the director ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Sounds like a good fit for Craig, to be honest. He plays well in that ballpark - humour was never his strongsuit, unless extremely dry.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Daily Mail credibility?

And the blue from Daaniel Craig's eyes.

And that gorgeous green marble meeting room in Rome...[img]http://thespaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Palazzo-Rome-©AndersonLow-All-Rights-Reserved-1050x789.jpg[/img]
    What the hell happened there? But hey, I guess this is a subject for another thread. Not here. Let's move on to discarding Vallee as the director ;)

Oh my, SP certainly doesn't do that room justice! :-O
    I've never seen any of Jean-Marc Vallée's work (not Boyle either, for that matter). Will be interesting to see if he gets the job.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    Was the crew meeting held, and were there any leaks?

@talos7: If there was a meeting, and we haven't heard about a bunch of crew people who are now unemployed indefinitely, I'd say the sky isn't falling; or there was no meeting to begin with.

Deadline has reported that "sources" talking of delays and all that jazz are coming from rival studios, not from EoN. So news, even from respected outlets, will have to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment.

The only thing Deadline is reporting that seems to be concrete: EoN has a shortlist of directors they've gone out to.

My question to all the people saying there are going to be huge delays and page one re-writes is this:

When producers "go out" to directors, what are they "going out" with?

Answer: A script. They are using a script to attach a director.

So all this talk about major re-writes on a brand new third script is ludicrous.

EoN have given their shortlist a script to read, maybe two scripts (both the Hodge and P&W scripts).

But to think they are trying to lure a director with no script and the development of a phantom third script?... Uh, no.

Once again, yes, anything can happen, but this sounds like EoN and partners going about this as business as usual. I don't think they've even considered delaying their release date at all...

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @peter Thanks!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2018 Posts: 17,687
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    All the weaker Bond films are still pleasant to look at. Thanks to the yellow filter, SP doesn't even get THAT right.

The filter that always bugged me the most was lime filter on The Matrix. The DVD looked like puke in all the 'hooked-in' scenes. Thankfully, the Blu Ray makes it all right again, as in my theatrical viewing. Filters always look worse on DVD's.

On the contrary, the original 1999 DVD does look closer to the theatrical viewing. The hooked in scenes have that sickly artificial filter because the scenes are supposed to LOOK artificial. Changing the color timing was actually done in 2004 for the box set so that the original film would look more similar to its sequels, which strikes wrong for me. It also screams too much of that George Lucas kind of tinkering, who changed the color timing of the original STAR WARS trilogy to match with the more highly saturated prequels. This is why I never bought THE MATRIX or the STAR WARS trilogy on blu-ray. Give me the original theatrical look any day.

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/the-matrix-visual-comparison.html
    Dude, no. I saw The Matrix in the theatre many times back in 1999, and it NEVER looked like that on the 1999 DVD release. Funny thing is, I have no recollection of having any issues with the VHS copy I owned before getting that DVD in 2000...
    And, from your own article "Those comparisons really illustrate what a crap transfer the original was. Well done Mr. Gould"
    Also, this article only rates the DVD's, not the Blu Ray. Seeing Matrix on BD was THE best experience I've had seeing it since sitting in the theatre back in 1999!

Colour almost invariably looks better on Blu Rays than DVD- just look at Dr. No! A 'piss' filter like on SPECTRE scenes probably looks way more 'pissy' on a DVD I would expect (though I honestly don't know).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I can understand if Craig doesn't want to be away for his child's first time on the planet. That could be a big factor in his decision.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    BREAKING NEWS: FILM CREW TOLD TO GO HOME, PROJECT ON HOLD

Uh-oh...

https://deadline.com/2018/08/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-pre-production-crew-dismissed-as-project-goes-on-hold-1202452104/

Oh, wait, not Bond...

Right, Disney can do no wrong and Eon sucks...

GoTG is a production in trouble, with their stars/entire leading cast, going against the producers-- some more passively, some more aggressively (see Bautista).

It seems Marvel/Disney has had serious issues starting with Wright's dismissal on ANT MAN, ROGUE ONE, SOLO, GOTG... that's a lot of years showing a growing dysfunction...

But, you know Babs and EoN are amateur-hour producers and Cubby's rolling in his grave....

Yah... right.
    Did anybody here say Disney can do no wrong? Talk about strawman city.

I *think* his point is that we should stop slamming EON as if no one else has major production issues to deal with.
    Put me on the Forster bandwagon!
  • peterpeter Toronto

I *think* his point is that we should stop slamming EON as if no one else has major production issues to deal with.

Thank you
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Put me on the Forster bandwagon!

*Jumps on as well*
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I've been on the Forster wagon since 2009.
    Just don't mess with the gun-barrel or the "Bond, James Bond" anymore and count me in on the Forster bandwagon!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,914
    Talk about a reversal of fortune.

10 years on, hearing Forster mentioned in a positive light is quite a development. Shocking, really.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I do miss Cubby Broccolli. He wouldn't have allowed this farce to happen.
    Have you seen the man with the golden gun diamonds are forever or a view to a kill recently

Shatterhand really ... interesting

10 years on, hearing Forster mentioned in a positive light is quite a development. Shocking, really.

Yeah, right? My favourite Craig Bond has been vindicated at last!

• The Piss Filter was really annoying. I just can't understand why they would want that.

Derogatory would be calling him a hack - it's some people's favourite word around here.

It worked well at times (Rome, the London stuff) and took away from the visuals at other times (pretty much the entire Austria sequence).
    That entire Austria look is like something out of some bland TV show that sent some rookie out to shoot some scenes of the Alps and the hapless chap couldn’t even capture the natural beauty of his surroundings properly. That’s what that whole Alps scene looks like. Bland gray colors. What the heck???? The worst cheapest postcard of the Alps looks better than what we saw. I just came back from Hawaii and the colors in the pics that I took with my iPhone just pop! Vibrant greens, turquoises, and other colors. Now imagine if I went ahead and just ran all this natural beauty through some gray filter. You’d call me an idiot for destroying the natural beauty of my pics, wouldn’t you?

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

Yeah, right? My favourite Craig Bond has been vindicated at last!
    The Forster train? Sure I’ll hop on , but, he needs a better editor. :D

To me this reversal recalls the reception and current state of Spectre. With the opening sequence (the filter, like the editing of Quantum), a portion of the audience is turned off from the start. And resentment builds from there.

It also recalls the reevaluation of that "failed" Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Reclaimed from the failure myth.
  • Get Robert Elswit on board. His work on Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation (using natural colors of course) was amazing!! Not to mention he already shot TND and most agree that it has nice vibrant cinematography.
    Get Robert Elswit on board. His work on Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation (using natural colors of course) was amazing!! Not to mention he already shot TND and most agree that it has nice vibrant cinematography.

Ahhh, YEP!
    A good opening point I agree with.

I disagree that Forster's Tosca flourish in Quantum of Solace was any kind of mistake. It was a highlight of a fine Bond film.