No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Sadly no more official news yet it seems. We may not know for a long time (or ever) exactly what went down with Boyle and why he left. I’m certainly curious about it, though. Hopefully we will have a new director/situation in place within a month or so.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Yes, I thought it was a good read @007Blofeld. I haven’t watched QoS in quite a while, but I get where he’s coming from with the Tosca scene. There’s probably too much visually and artistically going on in that footchase sequence after the excellent moment of the Quantum agents being revealed. Up until that point, I thought the sequence was exemplary before it descended into a bit of a visual muddle. But hey, I liked most of what Foster brought to QoS and wouldn’t be opposed to him helming a future Bond movie.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regarding the handling of Tosca or The Palio, isn't that a modern equivalent of the pyramids sequence in The Spy Who Loved Me. Bond films really shouldn't have a limitation for that kind of thing.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    John hodge is officially off

I guess we all kind of expected that.

At least we know now that they are scrambling for directors even though that guy turned it down
    peter wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Was the crew meeting held, and were there any leaks?

@talos7: If there was a meeting, and we haven't heard about a bunch of crew people who are now unemployed indefinitely, I'd say the sky isn't falling; or there was no meeting to begin with.

Deadline has reported that "sources" talking of delays and all that jazz are coming from rival studios, not from EoN. So news, even from respected outlets, will have to be taken with a grain of salt at the moment.

The only thing Deadline is reporting that seems to be concrete: EoN has a shortlist of directors they've gone out to.

My question to all the people saying there are going to be huge delays and page one re-writes is this:

When producers "go out" to directors, what are they "going out" with?

Answer: A script. They are using a script to attach a director.

So all this talk about major re-writes on a brand new third script is ludicrous.

EoN have given their shortlist a script to read, maybe two scripts (both the Hodge and P&W scripts).

But to think they are trying to lure a director with no script and the development of a phantom third script?... Uh, no.

Once again, yes, anything can happen, but this sounds like EoN and partners going about this as business as usual. I don't think they've even considered delaying their release date at all...
    Absolutely, @peter. The latest Deadline report does indeed include that their sources might just be wishful thinking by rival distributors. As they pointed out, the film hasn’t abdicated its November 8, 2019 release date, not yet at least. They also claim that if a replacement director can be named within the next 60 days, Daniel Craig’s last outing as 007 can keep its date. The likelihood that Jean-Marc Vallee is going to accept looks to have already been nixed, as he’s too busy and is gearing up on another movie. That leaves both David Mackenzie and Yann Demange as the possible remaining candidates to takeover. Personally, I’m hoping it’s Mackenzie that picks up the reigns.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,343
    At this point better a 2020 release than a super rushed pre-production, plus I fear Craig becoming father would influence the settings of the movie (mostly London/UK based).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Talk about a reversal of fortune.

10 years on, hearing Forster mentioned in a positive light is quite a development. Shocking, really.

And within some years it will be Spectre's turn...
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    matt_u wrote: »
    At this point better a 2020 release than a super rushed pre-production, plus I fear Craig becoming father would influence the settings of the movie (mostly London/UK based).

He lives in NYC though.
    Is he? Where is the official confirmation?

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    boldfinger wrote: »

Look at the article on the mi6 website
    His agent confirmed it
    The Daily Mail's ultimate hack journalist, Alison Boshoff has written her "exclusive" scoop on what happened behind the scenes.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6096309/Whos-REAL-James-Bond-villain-Barbara-Broccoli-007-Daniel-Craig-director-Danny-Boyle.html

"An industry source tells me: ‘There was a meeting with Daniel and Barbara and Danny Boyle late last year at the Eon office in Piccadilly and everyone was rather excited about his plans to shake up Bond and take it in a different direction.

‘What he proposed was radical, but they were all on board including Daniel Craig. Daniel was actually excited to come back to a different kind of Bond, it was going to be revolutionary.

‘However the screenplay that emerged this spring was too radical. The Bond producers thought it lacked humour and thrills and without an agreed script they didn’t have a deal.’"

Let's assume for a minute that all of the above is true. If they were all very excited about Boyle's initial plans and idea but disliked the script, it's safe to say they won't jettison the basic idea and go back to the screenplay by P&W, right? What exactly is this radical idea Boyle and Hodge proposed that they all loved? We still don't have a clue!

As for Hodge's screenplay: considering Boyle's filmography, it's hard to believe it lacked humour. I'm really hoping this screenplay will leak one day, maybe decades from now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    No doubt it'll be mentioned in detail in the upcoming edition of Some Kind of Hero.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    boldfinger wrote: »

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/screenwriter-john-hodge-is-no-longer-working-on-bond-25-180825
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Regardless if Hodge is on or off, didn’t we establish that EON most likely owns the script either way?
    I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.
  • RC7RC7
    The Daily Mail's ultimate hack journalist, Alison Boshoff has written her "exclusive" scoop on what happened behind the scenes.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6096309/Whos-REAL-James-Bond-villain-Barbara-Broccoli-007-Daniel-Craig-director-Danny-Boyle.html

"An industry source tells me: ‘There was a meeting with Daniel and Barbara and Danny Boyle late last year at the Eon office in Piccadilly and everyone was rather excited about his plans to shake up Bond and take it in a different direction.

‘What he proposed was radical, but they were all on board including Daniel Craig. Daniel was actually excited to come back to a different kind of Bond, it was going to be revolutionary.

‘However the screenplay that emerged this spring was too radical. The Bond producers thought it lacked humour and thrills and without an agreed script they didn’t have a deal.’"

Let's assume for a minute that all of the above is true. If they were all very excited about Boyle's initial plans and idea but disliked the script, it's safe to say they won't jettison the basic idea and go back to the screenplay by P&W, right? What exactly is this radical idea Boyle and Hodge proposed that they all loved? We still don't have a clue!

As for Hodge's screenplay: considering Boyle's filmography, it's hard to believe it lacked humour. I'm really hoping this screenplay will leak one day, maybe decades from now.

You may not have to wait decades. As a few of us have suggested - the script may still be used as a basis for B25, keeping the hook and re-working with a new director. Danny was at Pinewood overseeing production design and set construction only last week, so this is a very recent development. This may not happen, but it’s a possibility if MGM/Universal want to hit the deadline and they can find a director who’ll accommodate it.
  • manovermanover uk
    With GOTG 3 delayed.
    Maybe Bond 25 can aim for May 2020.
    Will give enough time for director and script work.
    RC7 wrote: »
    You may not have to wait decades. As a few of us have suggested - the script may still be used as a basis for B25, keeping the hook and re-working with a new director.
    Yes, at this moment it seems very likely they won't completely throw out Hodge's script. Still, they will definitely rewrite it. What I would love to read is Hodge's script without any rewrites. The one that EON was unhappy with.
    I really hope they're completely off with this "radical" idea and get back to making a normal Bond thriller.
    Yeah, give us another TND or TWINE rather than something fresh and exciting!
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    JBR - "can you turn it around in three months?"
    Yes you can. I wrote my last novel in less. And that one was considered heavy literature. How hard is it to write an intelligent and well written script?

Well said. Fleming wrote his novels in two weeks.

Ha ha.
    It's not a joke, read his biography.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    There appears to be some confusion about Hodge's screenplay? Earlier reports from this year suggested Hodge was writing a new screenplay; this is why Boyle wanted to make the film - Hodge and Boyle had this good/great idea - however, recent claims suggest Hodge was rewriting Purvis and Wade's screenplay. To add to the confusion, the latest news is Eon have ditched the P&W screenplay?

The new Daily Mail item sounds credible. Boyle/Hodge would want to put their own stamp on the franchise, shake things up and try not to copy Purvis and Wade's style. It's not that surprising to imagine B Broccoli was intrigued by their 'vision'...

...but as the months past and the shooting schedule was getting sorted out, she had major doubts? Better to stick with what you know than risk a new approach and jeopardize the box office. Perhaps MI: Fallout did cross her mind. If the Boyle/Hodge storyline was a bit thin on thrills Broccoli may have thought it would look a bit tame compared to Fallout?

Regading Boyle's idea - perhaps Bond has quit the service? That would seem 'radical-ish' and a decent premise for a Bond film. Something terrible happens, the return of SPECTRE or some other threat, and M has to try and convince Bond to return to the 00 division.

Another idea could be Bond as the villain. Bond is brainwashed and works for the enemy. In the final act of the storyline Bond recovers, helps MI6, saves the day! That would be a radical departure from the previous films, but a creative risk.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I sometimes wish we could go back to the days before the Internet.
    Of course we'd have no Bond forum so that's a negative. But we also would have to wait patiently for actual news, instead of guessing or hoping all the time, speculating the outcome using a defunct crystal ball.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    It's fascinating how QoS became one of the fan favorites after it was received with such a backlash at first. It makes me feel a little bit better about the fact that QoS was first Bond movie that I ever saw in cinema.

So, I also might hop on Marc Forster train, even though Martin Campbell is my director of choice. Furthermore, Edgar Wright also seems like a man for the (Bond) job.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Benny wrote: »
    Of course we'd have no Bond forum so that's a negative. But we also would have to wait patiently for actual news, instead of guessing or hoping all the time, speculating the outcome using a defunct crystal ball.

Totally agree
    Yeah, give us another TND or TWINE rather than something fresh and exciting!
    I'm very much down with that.
  • RC7RC7

Totally agree

Ditto. Although I’d say ‘modern internet’. I’ve been discussing Bond online for just shy of 20 years and it wasn’t like this back at the turn of the millennium.
    Jean-Marc Vallee is looking very unlikely right now.
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/director-jean-marc-vallee-turns-down-bond-25-due-to-scheduling-conflict-180825

His son (who works alongside him as an editor) has confirmed that the offer was made but Vallee turned it down.

So it's between

Edgar Wright
    Yann Demange
    David Mackenzie

Personally, I say give it to Mackenzie or Demange. Edgar Wright can do Bond 26 and write the script from scratch with a new actor.

However, if Eon are looking at HBO directors then there are a host of great directors working in TV and film who could direct:

Cary Joji Fukunaga (True Detective)
    Paolo Sorrentino (The Young Pope)
    Susanna White (Parade's End - also she did the spy film Our Kind of Traitor)
    James Marsh (The Night Of - also an Oscar winning documentary maker)

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,347

Totally agree

Ditto. Although I’d say ‘modern internet’. I’ve been discussing Bond online for just shy of 20 years and it wasn’t like this back at the turn of the millennium.

Likewise when I was at University in the late 90's when the net was relatively new it was very different with regards to discussion.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Another idea could be Bond as the villain. Bond is brainwashed and works for the enemy. In the final act of the storyline Bond recovers, helps MI6, saves the day! That would be a radical departure from the previous films, but a creative risk.

That would be interesting. Bond could be working for Spectre initially.
    QQ7 wrote: »
    It's fascinating how QoS became one of the fan favorites after it was received with such a backlash at first. It makes me feel a little bit better about the fact that QoS was first Bond movie that I ever saw in cinema.

So, I also might hop on Marc Forster train, even though Martin Campbell is my director of choice. Furthermore, Edgar Wright also seems like a man for the (Bond) job.

I like QOS a lot, but it has its flaws which were in part Forster's fault. In any case both movie and director are too divisive so I don't think they'll ask him again.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Edgar Wright can do Bond 26 and write the script from scratch with a new actor.

Why give Bond 26 to Wright when the far more suitable Christopher Nolan is already waiting in the wings? Seriously, people here should STOP suggesting directors for Bond 26 other than Chris Nolan.