No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    There are actually great artists pursuing the job to take things on, EON just isn't interested in hiring them at the moment. It's clear they have chosen their direction and have determined to follow it to it's terminus. It's just sad that what seemed incidental in CR has been blown up to such degree that it's taken over almost everything else. I don't think I'm the only one who felt they should move away from the arthouse direction and not imbrace it evermore. It's only for one film ofcourse, but Danny Boyle seems like they're going to double down on the aspects of SP that I felt were least effective, and least effective of the era as a whole. The bright side is that Boyle all but guarantees a standalone adventure, which is a step in the right direction if you're are a glass half full type of person.

You’re wrong. I know of several people who’ve been approached and simply won’t do it.

You don't have a monopoly on the truth, mate - it's entirely possible that you're both right.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It's just that I am somehow struggling to see how his approach, which I admit I have limited exposure to, will gel with the Craig Bond as defined over the past decade. Villeneuve I could see far more readily. I suppose that's where the 'golden idea' could come into play. Something highly unexpected.
    @bondjames, I´m not sure that we can speak of his approach in the singular, because I´ve seen what seems like a vast variety of approaches in his films.
    I guess something like a combination of the scifi and glitter of Sunshine and the rough boyish charme of T2 Trainspotting already would go a long way in a Bond film.
    I hear you @boldfinger, and I didn't mean to suggest that he only has one way about him. I'm sure he is versatile. I'm not really commenting on him, but rather him in the context of the Craig Bond, who let's face it is a pretty serious and dour fellow imho. That is what Whishaw alluded to, and that is what I am having some difficulty reconciling.
    @bondjames, Boyle did lighthearted characters as well as Zombies and Steve Jobs. A serious and dour James Bond wouldnvt be much of a stranger to Boyle. He would be rather equipped to blend Craigbond's dour side with horror as well as lighter situations.
    Ah, I see @boldfinger. That's good to know. As mentioned, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to all things Boyle. Based on the reddit leaks, they are supposedly planning for a lighter tone, so he has his work cut out for him to ensure it's done in a more credible and authentic fashion than Mendes's attempt in SP, particularly with Craig as lead imho.
    Yes, I would say so. That´s the thing I´m most sure of with Boyle.

Marc Forster was announced to direct QOS on the 19th of June 2007. Would it be reasonable to start worrying if Boyle or someone else is not officially announced by the end of the next month?
    No worry would be reasonable at this time. Or at any other time.

Ludovico wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yann Demange or Denis Villeneuve, perhaps? ;)

Villeneuve would have been my dream for both Bond 25 and 26. I'm sure his Dune will be good but why he'd choose to do that instead of Bond?

He wanted to make Dune for a very long time, and the Bond series isn't going anywhere, so it'll always be awaiting him when he's available and wanting to direct one.

Maybe but still. Boyle is competent enough but he's a bit too established for my taste.
    Too established in what way? When it comes to his films, he doesn´t exactly kick back.
    I guess I'm afraid it will be a Boyle movie before being a Bond movie. Something I was afraid about Mendes as well. Maybe established was not the right word. And also I'd like someone who can commit for a few movies (albeit maybe not consecutively) and bring fresh blood and at 61 Boyle is not exactly that.
    What di you think, Nolan will do? A Bond movie or rather a Nolan does Bond fulm.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Has anybody got stats on what the global mix of men to women is for Bond film theatre viewings? I'd be curious to know if Craig has brought more women into the mix.

He has made statements recently that this is one of his goals and that he will continue to do that while he is Bond, and I'm curious to know if anyone has hard stats rather than anecdotal information on whether he has been successful in his efforts.

Moreover, it would be good if one could strip out the impact of there being more women viewing movies in general - e.g. eliminate the general impact and isolate the Bond data.

Age specific information would be good too.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I think it's safe to say that Boyle will be directing Bond 25. He confirmed his involvement, and I don't see EON dropping him this late in the process. It's the middle of May, and going for a new director and new approach altogether would probably result in a mess of a film.

This is the only announcement we will get before the press conference in November, so from now on, we can only rely on rumours about the cast and the story.
    Has anybody got stats on what the global mix of men to women is for Bond film theatre viewings? I'd be curious to know if Craig has brought more women into the mix.

He has made statements recently that this is one of his goals and that he will continue to do that while he is Bond, and I'm curious to know if anyone has hard stats rather than anecdotal information on whether he has been successful in his efforts.

Moreover, it would be good if one could strip out the impact of there being more women viewing movies in general - e.g. eliminate the general impact and isolate the Bond data.

I don't have any figures but I can tell you that CR is the ONLY Bond movie my wife enjoyed and found genuinely interesting. She did not enjoy the other three of Craig but she still went to each one of them hoping it would be as enjoyable as CR.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

I don't have any figures but I can tell you that CR is the ONLY Bond movie my wife enjoyed and found genuinely interesting. She did not enjoy the other three of Craig but she still went to each one of them hoping it would be as enjoyable as CR.
    That is interesting. Do you have any idea what it is about CR that she liked? Was it the central romance, or just the general tone and style of the film?

Or perhaps Craig in his trunks?

That is interesting. Do you have any idea what it is about CR that she liked? Was it the central romance, or just the general tone and style of the film?

It's a bit of all that. She got interested about the movie when she saw the trailer. But we discuss about it later on and the romance between Bond and Vesper played a fairly large part in it, as well as the look of the movie. I would have dragged her to see Bond movies without CR but with it I never needed as much convincing as going to watch any other "men" or "geek" movie.

It's a bit of all that. She got interested about the movie when she saw the trailer. But we discuss about it later on and the romance between Bond and Vesper played a fairly large part in it, as well as the look of the movie. I would have dragged her to see Bond movies without CR but with it I never needed as much convincing as going to watch any other "men" or "geek" movie.
    Thanks. A discussion on the MI thread is what got me thinking about this.

Broccoli cast Craig for a reason. He has been quite vocal about what he wants to do to change the character. I have personally not been in favour of his comments, but he is the incumbent and he has been given carte blanche (or so it appears) as of now, with her blessing.

While she is in charge, I think it's safe to say that they will continue in this direction, and that should inform us regarding the type of actor they will cast next. Perhaps he will be more in the Craig mold again. Moreover, it may give us some indication of the types of plots they will pursue. Perhaps more emotional delving is in the cards.

Still, I find it interesting that your wife enjoyed CR more than the other Craig efforts. It is one of the highest rated Bond films, so I imagine she is just in line with most of us, and has good taste.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Still, I find it interesting that your wife enjoyed CR more than the other Craig efforts. It is one of the highest rated Bond films, so I imagine she is just in line with most of us, and has good taste.

Or she's a fan of soap operas.

Or she's a fan of soap operas.

She's not.
    When was the last time the director of a Bond movie was NOT announced before the big press conference announcing the title & the cast? Is it seriously possible that Boyle WON'T be officially announced before the press conference at the end of the year?
    When was the last time the director of a Bond movie was NOT announced before the big press conference announcing the title & the cast? Is it seriously possible that Boyle WON'T be officially announced before the press conference at the end of the year?
    If they are still on track for Nov 2019 then I am 100% confident that the eventual director (whether it be Boyle or someone else using P&W's script) will be announced at the same time.

We've got a ways to go yet so there's really no need to be concerned. The gears are grinding but from the brief snippets we've gotten from the actor and the 'potential' director, something is still subject to approval by one or more big wigs.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164

From the SP opening weekend reports: http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-the-peanuts-movie-james-bond-box-office-1201610575/

Rentak’s PostTrak currently reports a heavily older-male audience for Spectre at 65% to ladies at 35%. Over 25 is 74%. Of those moviegoers polled, a leading 34% came out because it’s a franchise they like.

And the second weekend
    Rentrak’s PostTrack, which polls throughout a film’s second weekend, continues to show a heavy older male turnout for Bond 24 at 59% guys and 72% over 25; however, women at 77% are grading Spectre as excellent or very good, a share that’s inching out men’s word of mouth at 71%.
    Thanks @antovolk.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Well according to cashleypersia bond 25 is looking to be very female friendly and it does make sense in a post metoo world

I heard two women on James Bonding podcast wax lyrical about their love for CR for 2 solid hours. In short they found it romantic, loved the characters and Vesper’s dilemma.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    i loved Craig in his trunks...
    vzok wrote: »

I heard two women on James Bonding podcast wax lyrical about their love for CR for 2 solid hours. In short they found it romantic, loved the characters and Vesper’s dilemma.
    I can see how that would be the case. I obviously didn't look at it from a woman's point of view, but can appreciate how that would resonate.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    As a women, the last thing I want in a Bond film is more women, especially to shut up the equality / me too crowd.

And I suspect the same people who complain about there not being a female Bond or not enough female characters, are the same ones who ignored 'Atomic Blonde' and the likes.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Yeah, nobidy cares about Atomic Blonde, so it's not a social justice battleground. Modern day feminism isn't really about equality it's about power, if you ask me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep!

Yeah, nobidy cares about Atomic Blonde, so it's not a social justice battleground. Modern day feminism isn't really about equality it's about power, if you ask me.

It’s all about giving moviemakers who have run out of ideas a chance to do dull remakes with all female casts.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Like John Woo remaking his own THE KILLER with Lupita Nyong’o starring
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    peter wrote: »

Right? Seems like such a horrible idea. Woo doesn't have the magic he once was so even ignoring he's giving it a female lead spin, it's going to be inferior most likely.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Right? Seems like such a horrible idea. Woo doesn't have the magic he once was so even ignoring he's giving it a female lead spin, it's going to be inferior most likely.

Yep... truly sad and stinks of desperation from all sides (except I do like Nyong’o)
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I guess I'm afraid it will be a Boyle movie before being a Bond movie. Something I was afraid about Mendes as well. Maybe established was not the right word. And also I'd like someone who can commit for a few movies (albeit maybe not consecutively) and bring fresh blood and at 61 Boyle is not exactly that.
    Yes, I would expect nothing other than a Boyle film. Eon or probably rather Craig seems to be interested in this kind of director films. I guess I'm lucky I enjoyed most of what I saw so far from Boyle. Other films by Mendes also didn't do much for me, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to like B25.

Well according to cashleypersia bond 25 is looking to be very female friendly and it does make sense in a post metoo world
    Has there been any female unfriendly Bond film?

• edited May 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Did Penelope Cruz turn down Bond 25 to star in female-driven spy film?
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-universal-lands-jessica-chastain-led-female-fronted-spy-film-355-1111314

Interesting comment in this Hollywood Reporter article: '...Ironically, Cruz previously had been rumored to be taking a role as a so-called "Bond girl" in the next 007 outing. But instead she will topline what is hoped to be a franchise starter with 355.'

Interesting notion. Perhaps this is the Angelina Jolie role? It's a bit of a shame they couldn't get Cruz (especially considering her husband is Javier Bardem)

penelope-cruz-in-vintage-chanel-everybody-knows-todos-lo-saben-cannes-film-festival-photocall

In other news Vic Armstrong's return to the series has been confirmed by Omega Underground:
    https://omegaunderground.com/2018/05/13/avengers-infinity-war-stunt-coordinator-vic-armstrong-returning-for-bond-25/
    Dodged a bullet there. I just really don't like Cruz as an actress.