No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Does anybody know the number to eon's office? I'm almost tempted to give them a ring lol
    And do what? Doesn't really reflect well on the forum or the fan base if you call them up and press them for questions. There's also no way you'd be able to get anything out of them.

@jake24 I was just joking I wouldn't seriously do that it was meant to be a joke
    I assumed that much when you put the lol at the end of your post.
    ----

Whishaw indicated today that he felt that Boyle's style would be well suited to Craig.

Do others feel that way? I haven't seen much of Boyle's work, but I wonder. He's avant-garde certainly, but seems better suited to someone younger.
    Boyle´s previous films had as much variety as they had little in common with traditional Bond. But T2 Trainspotting dealt in an engaging way with boys growing older and not growing up, which would by itself be a wonderful topic for a Craig Bond film IMO. In general, Danny Boyle has one important quality that would fit enormously for Bond: He doesn´t bore me. When I reflect upon which of his films I´ve seen, I´m surprised how many I´ve seen, and that pretty much all of them kept me thorroughly entertained, as different as they were each from the other.
    Anyhow, with the exception of Campbell, was there any director who would have been associated with Bond before becoming the director? And even Campbell pre GE didn´t scream Bond.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Does anybody know the number to eon's office? I'm almost tempted to give them a ring lol
    And do what? Doesn't really reflect well on the forum or the fan base if you call them up and press them for questions. There's also no way you'd be able to get anything out of them.

@jake24 I was just joking I wouldn't seriously do that it was meant to be a joke
    ----

Whishaw indicated today that he felt that Boyle's style would be well suited to Craig.

Do others feel that way? I haven't seen much of Boyle's work, but I wonder. He's avant-garde certainly, but seems better suited to someone younger.

To be honest I'm not sure Boyle is suited for Bond.

I disagree. I think Boyle is exactly the sort of director Bond needs. He's competent, talented and actually is well versed in the mythology of the character. He'll also bring something fresh and not come off as pretentious. He's the director we need and deserve.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    doubleoego wrote: »

----

I disagree. I think Boyle is exactly the sort of director Bond needs. He's competent, talented and actually is well versed in the mythology of the character. He'll also bring something fresh and not come off as pretentious. He's the director we need and deserve.

+1 I am very excited about him and he seems like a good fit (not perfect, but he could proof us otherwise)
    If anything, i am looking most forward to whoever he'll cast as the Bond girl, that guy has an incredible eye for beauties, from Virginie Ledoyen, Freida Pinto to Anjela Nedyalkova. Often newcomers who are barely known.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'll take Danny Boyle over Sam Mendes any day of the week.
    I think we're in a safe position with Boyle.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »

----

Boyle´s previous films had as much variety as they had little in common with traditional Bond. But T2 Trainspotting dealt in an engaging way with boys growing older and not growing up, which would by itself be a wonderful topic for a Craig Bond film IMO. In general, Danny Boyle has one important quality that would fit enormously for Bond: He doesn´t bore me. When I reflect upon which of his films I´ve seen, I´m surprised how many I´ve seen, and that pretty much all of them kept me thorroughly entertained, as different as they were each from the other.
    Anyhow, with the exception of Campbell, was there any director who would have been associated with Bond before becoming the director? And even Campbell pre GE didn´t scream Bond.
    I agree that he's certainly not boring. I've recently been viewing his Trust tv series, of which he directed the first three episodes. Those three were very engaging and anything but boring. More than anything, his use of music and classic songs in combination with the accompanying scenes were done better than anyone this side of Tarantino. I enjoyed the strange shooting angles and bright colours too. Since he's left I've not been nearly as absorbed. Although I still watch it, there was something very unique about the earlier Boyle episodes which drew me right in.

I hear you on other known directors not screaming Bond prior to being involved either, and definitely he fits into that category.

It's just that I am somehow struggling to see how his approach, which I admit I have limited exposure to, will gel with the Craig Bond as defined over the past decade. Villeneuve I could see far more readily. I suppose that's where the 'golden idea' could come into play. Something highly unexpected.
    00Agent wrote: »
    If anything, i am looking most forward to whoever he'll cast as the Bond girl, that guy has an incredible eye for beauties, from Virginie Ledoyen, Freida Pinto to Anjela Nedyalkova. Often newcomers who are barely known.
    This is very welcome news as far as I'm concerned, and a key attribute (dare I say, a requirement) of a Bond director.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

----

+1 I am very excited about him and he seems like a good fit (not perfect, but he could proof us otherwise)

Agreed. I'll also add Rosario Dawson to that list too.
    Benny wrote: »
    I'll take Danny Boyle over Sam Mendes any day of the week.
    I think we're in a safe position with Boyle.

In full agreement.
    It's just that I am somehow struggling to see how his approach, which I admit I have limited exposure to, will gel with the Craig Bond as defined over the past decade. Villeneuve I could see far more readily. I suppose that's where the 'golden idea' could come into play. Something highly unexpected.
    @bondjames, I´m not sure that we can speak of his approach in the singular, because I´ve seen what seems like a vast variety of approaches in his films.
    I guess something like a combination of the scifi and glitter of Sunshine and the rough boyish charme of T2 Trainspotting already would go a long way in a Bond film.

@bondjames, I´m not sure that we can speak of his approach in the singular, because I´ve seen what seems like a vast variety of approaches in his films.
    I guess something like a combination of the scifi and glitter of Sunshine and the rough boyish charme of T2 Trainspotting already would go a long way in a Bond film.
    I hear you @boldfinger, and I didn't mean to suggest that he only has one way about him. I'm sure he is versatile. I'm not really commenting on him, but rather him in the context of the Craig Bond, who let's face it is a pretty serious and dour fellow imho. That is what Whishaw alluded to, and that is what I am having some difficulty reconciling.

I suppose that is, as I mentioned earlier, where the real surprise will come. If he can meld his approach neatly into the world that already exists and create a memorable (and necessary) denouement for this reboot character before we move on.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185

----

Agreed. I'll also add Rosario Dawson to that list too.

Definitly. He even dated her after they finished shooting Trance. You can tell he casts based on his Personal type lol.

----

I don't know how well versed he is in Bond. Competent sure, talented yes, although at 60 something it's not like his talent is growing. Boyle for me is a safe bet, insofar as his competence goes but he's also very high profile, something we reproached to Sam Mendes and to a lesser extend Marc Forster. That's partially what makes me doubtful. I would like somebody a tad younger and lesser known ideally. But hey he might surprise me.
    Younger director for the next Bond actor's debut film, perhaps?
    Yann Demange? This seems to have been the direction they were headed in prior to Craig choosing to return. So perhaps they will go back there for B26, if Demange agrees, after reportedly having his time wasted as per Cashley.

I wouldn't want him too young. Young enough to have energy and direct a few but old and experienced enough to be grounded. As I said it before at 61 Boyle is hardly new blood.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Yann Demange or Denis Villeneuve, perhaps? ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And how old was Martin Campbell when he did CR? Age, to a certain point on either end of the spectrum, has little to do with creative vision/energy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Yann Demange? This seems to have been the direction they were headed in prior to Craig choosing to return. So perhaps they will go back there for B26, if Demange agrees, after reportedly having his time wasted as per Cashley.
    EON & Demange happened a while after Craig was announced to return. Safe to say the idea was being considered for Craig's final Bond film as well.
    EON & Demange happened a while after Craig was announced to return. Safe to say the idea was being considered for Craig's final Bond film as well.
    Did it though? Demange was rumoured by Cashley well before Craig announced his return (or decided for that matter, which was by his own admission 2 months prior). So I think Demange was part of the original plan. After Craig announced his return, Villeneuve became the favourite because Craig desired him. As I recall, it was just about a month afterwards, in August or September 2017.

While we'll never know, it does seem like Demange was sidelined after Craig returned.

----

I agree that he's certainly not boring. I've recently been viewing his Trust tv series, of which he directed the first three episodes. Those three were very engaging and anything but boring. More than anything, his use of music and classic songs in combination with the accompanying scenes were done better than anyone this side of Tarantino. I enjoyed the strange shooting angles and bright colours too. Since he's left I've not been nearly as absorbed. Although I still watch it, there was something very unique about the earlier Boyle episodes which drew me right in.

I hear you on other known directors not screaming Bond prior to being involved either, and definitely he fits into that category.

This is very welcome news as far as I'm concerned, and a key attribute (dare I say, a requirement) of a Bond director.

Do you think using classic songs would work in a Bond film?
    vzok wrote: »

----

Do you think using classic songs would work in a Bond film?
    Well it would certainly be different, that's for sure!

I can't really say. I suppose it would depend on what kind of film they're intending to make. A song can certainly set a mood nicely if inserted at the right moment, and Boyle seems to have a knack for that.

It wouldn't be the first time as we know. London Calling in DAD and of course California Girls in AVTAK (hardly a finest hour in both cases, although I quite liked the use in DAD).
    AVTAK's case was Beach Boys.
    I’d just been thinking about Boyle using existing songs, and I just couldn’t think of any songs that wouldn’t distract me from the scene.
    vzok wrote: »
    I’d just been thinking about Boyle using existing songs, and I just couldn’t think of any songs that wouldn’t distract me from the scene.
    At least based on his work in Trust, he seems to have a skill for picking the right song imho. I was impressed. I had my phone out a lot shazaming and trying to determine what they were.
    The way Boyle uses the songs make the scenes look like video clips from pop music videos. That wasn't the way that was done in AVTAK's or DAD's case. I somehow don't think Boyle would resort to repeating himself in his Bond effort.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Trust looks really good from what I've seen. Boyle clearly has a very wide range.
    The way Boyle uses the songs make the scenes look like video clips from pop music videos. That wasn't the way that was done in AVTAK's or DAD's case. I somehow don't think Boyle would resort to repeating himself in his Bond effort.
    That is one trope of his that I sincerely hope he drops for B25.
    Trust looks really good from what I've seen. Boyle clearly has a very wide range.
    I'd love to see Luca Marinelli in a Bond film one day. His character in the show is chilling and unpredictable.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,112
    peter wrote: »
    And how old was Martin Campbell when he did CR? Age, to a certain point on either end of the spectrum, has little to do with creative vision/energy.

62. The oldest Bond director, eclipsing Gilbert.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Kershner was the same age.
    Further confirmation that Boyle confirmed his involvement with Bond 25 in Norfolk yesterday:

Why won't Eon make it official if the deal is done? Is this due to MGM holding out on a distributor deal?

Also, the Arctic Monkeys dropped their latest album yesterday, which surely puts them in pole position to do the Bond 25 song

Why won't Eon make it official if the deal is done?
    Most likely because there is still a large missing piece in the puzzle.
    Is this due to MGM holding out on a distributor deal?
    Possibly, or it could be because of something else.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Kershner was the same age.

When?