No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Germanlady wrote: »
    I think its more because the script didnt allow them to be real lovers. Pretty much what traditional Bond asks for. Most of the time at least

yes the script was weak but the chemistry was zero.
    patb wrote: »
    I think there maybe something a little bonkers/out of kilter with AJ? She is a little scary. If they can bring that to the screen, I think she would make a great villian (plus 42 so room for some sexual chemistry also)

A friend met her and Brad a few years ago socially and said she was stark raving bonkers.

I'm just not a big fan of Americans in Bond movies. There are exceptions, like Felix, but as the main villain I don't feel it's a good idea. Walken was okay I suppose, but Joe Don Baker was pretty lame.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I dont think it would work today, if you made another Moore or Brosnan film. Sp tried, didnt it. It was successful, but not overall loved. I dint believe, having a brainless Bambi girl, would work either.
    Agree on the personal angle though. I think a dark Thriller sort of film would work best. Going Logan seems too obvious to me and people would kill the idea just because it was just recently done anyway.
    And exactly how many brainless bambi girls were there in the Connery-Moore era?

That the formulaic approach in SP didn´t work obviously has more to do with overall storytelling and pacing than with the times. Mendes just didn´t find the groove.

fanbond123 wrote: »
    The problem is the franchise has lasted so long it's hard to come up with fresh ideas.
    I don´t think so. Just watch the news. Reality overtook Bond, the filmmakers just need to pick anything and adapt it.

bondjames wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    The MI6 traitor angle has been done too death.
    The something from Bonds past has been done to death.
    The Bond girl who is Bonds equal has been...done to death.
    I would be happy with the old formula film. I don't know if today's PC society would approve.
    Maybe a retweaked version would help. Without using any of the above elements as a story basis.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Well said Benny. :-bd
    Seconded.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Yes.
    Formula requires self belief and excellence in execution, particularly because it's been done so many times before and particularly because it can appear trite if handled by people who give it lip service. The viewer can always see through that. It's about really delivering on the basics (action, score, cinematography, women, dialogue, location & settings, tension & suspense, glamour & style, pace, atmosphere etc. etc.). It's about elevating those seemingly simple elements to another level. That takes real skill and commitment.
    To quote yourself, @bondjames, you have my overwhelming support and approval for these ideas!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited May 2018 Posts: 2,540
    Sometimes a great "idea" for a new film is not always about its narrative.

Could you elaborate a little more, please, @CatchingBullets ? ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spectre's failings were the story was half baked and weak.

Blofeld being Bond's foster brother is the stupidest part of the story. The Nine Eyes part could have been interesting but they do nothing with it. We just see Denbigh lobbying for it while Spectre commits acts of terrorism off screen.

With better writing, a director who wasn't bored, better music and Bond and Blofeld not being foster brothers, Spectre could have easily been much better.

I wish Martin Campbell directed it. It could have been amazing.
    I'm not a huge Martin Campbell fan but I think you might be right. As I don't like SF I am inclined to think he might have done a better job of that as well, as he seems to like to tell a coherent story.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Benny wrote: »
    The MI6 traitor angle has been done too death.
    The something from Bonds past has been done to death.
    The Bond girl who is Bonds equal has been...done to death.
    I would be happy with the old formula film. I don't know if today's PC society would approve.
    Maybe a retweaked version would help. Without using any of the above elements as a story basis.

I first read that as "retweeted". They put out major motion pictures on Twitter now.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love Spectre despite its minor flaws.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Isn't it funny how I try to start up a conversation to shift back focus to bond 25 and everybody gets back to talking about things that are unrelated?
    I love Spectre but to say a Moore or Brosnan style Bond wouldn't work beyond 2018 is not true.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Any style of Bond film will work if executed well
    Precisely.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perfectly well said, gentlemen.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bond has existed as long as it has due to rotating the different styles of Bond films that exist.

I just want the next film to be a fun and action packed mission minus melodrama for Bond 25 and I'll be happy, and Craig is back to being a badass.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Any style of Bond film will work if executed well

Thats true

Bond has existed as long as it has due to rotating the different styles of Bond films that exist.

I just want the next film to be a fun and action packed mission minus melodrama for Bond 25 and I'll be happy, and Craig is back to being a badass.

True again. This not bleeding nonsense doesnt work for him
    ggl007 wrote: »

I'm surprised we're ignoring this quote and still arguing about Spectre...

@CatchingBullets Has strong links to Eon and has written books on Bond that have given huge behind-the-scenes scoops. I think @CatchingBullets comments pretty much confirm Boyle's 'great idea' is a Bond period piece.

I can almost guarantee we are getting a 1960s set film akin to X-Men: First Class. I'm totally down for a Bond concept album film, just a little sad we can't get it for the reboot. Also, can we have Michael Fassbender instead of Daniel Craig? Craig is a little too modern for the era.

xmen-first-class-movie-screencaps.com-1605.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Madeleine was better at the beginning, when she was prickly. But then she's suddenly helping Bond with Q. What?
    Spectre's problem was that it compressed two films into one. That was always the problem. It is obviously an arc for two films and needed more room to breathe. But, after the studio interfered and Craig didn't commit to two more, it ended up being what it is.

Truthfully speaking, some of P&W's drafts were better than anything the film offered us. Many things that made sense were cut out from the scripts which was why the film was problematic and not received as greatly as its predecessor (as much as it pains me to say that). The plot was inconsistent.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Spectre's problem was that it compressed two films into one. That was always the problem. It is obviously an arc for two films and needed more room to breathe. But, after the studio interfered and Craig didn't commit to two more, it ended up being what it is.

Truthfully speaking, some of P&W's drafts were better than anything the film offered us. Many things that made sense were cut out from the scripts which was why the film was problematic and not received as greatly as its predecessor (as much as it pains me to say that). The plot was inconsistent.

What was the two-film arc? I didn't read the leaked emails.
    echo wrote: »

What was the two-film arc? I didn't read the leaked emails.
    It's basically the overall plot of SP. It was immediately canned because many people wouldn't commit.

True again. This not bleeding nonsense doesnt work for him

Agree Craig's Bond works better when gritty and unrelenting.
  • RC7RC7

@CatchingBullets Has strong links to Eon and has written books on Bond that have given huge behind-the-scenes scoops. I think @CatchingBullets comments pretty much confirm Boyle's 'great idea' is a Bond period piece.

I can almost guarantee we are getting a 1960s set film akin to X-Men: First Class. I'm totally down for a Bond concept album film, just a little sad we can't get it for the reboot. Also, can we have Michael Fassbender instead of Daniel Craig? Craig is a little too modern for the era.

That’s one huge leap you’ve made there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »

Quite.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    jake24 wrote: »

Quite.

Still I agree with @ggl007 and @Pierce2Daniel I am hoping @CatchingBullets will be able to expand on what he meant by that comment. Perhaps it will be a filming style or way of story telling that will be drastically different and not just what the narrative is.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love Spectre despite its minor flaws.
    Hey, me too, @LeChiffre. It just piles on to why I'm looking forward to BOND 25.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    salt mine needed, I think ... ;)
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 512
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Quite.

Still I agree with @ggl007 and @Pierce2Daniel I am hoping @CatchingBullets will be able to expand on what he meant by that comment. Perhaps it will be a filming style or way of story telling that will be drastically different and not just what the narrative is.

Way of storytelling has a lot to do with narrative. And I can't think of a really different filmstyle?
    But I can't see Craig doing a 60s period film. It's strange to have him play 4 movies in present time and his final movie set approx.50 years earlier.
    I guess it is a good idea for a new Bondactor.
    Curious if CathingBullets wants to tell a bit more. Maybe he already said to much.
    No in my mind it’s not going to be. Period piece but it might have a 60’s vibe going for it if that makes sense
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can see Boyle playing with the timelines, Nolan style. After all, that's what he's been doing with the Trust tv series which is currently running. It could work, but with Craig looking his age these days there is only so much in the past one can go without it straining the bounds of credibility.

I'm curious to know more about these recent cryptic potential insider remarks myself.