No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    I'm afraid money and box office gross is indeed part of the problem. Sadly I can't see them going back to smaller scale films given the amount of money the last two have made. In an era of limited global brand IP, Bond is seriously underutilized, and the incentive will most likely be to exploit this going forward.

Did SP make that much of a profit in the end though considering the massive amount they spent on it? I think bigger budget doesn't necessarily mean more money. In fact they could probably turn more of a profit with smaller scale films because Bond has a built in audience anyway, and good enough word of mouth would mean audiences flock to it no matter what (didn't Deadpool do very well on a small budget? And horror films do all the time). This might be wishful thinking though because I just really hope you're wrong and we don't get endless spinoffs.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,733
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm afraid money and box office gross is indeed part of the problem. Sadly I can't see them going back to smaller scale films given the amount of money the last two have made. In an era of limited global brand IP, Bond is seriously underutilized, and the incentive will most likely be to exploit this going forward.

Did SP make that much of a profit in the end though considering the massive amount they spent on it? I think bigger budget doesn't necessarily mean more money. In fact they could probably turn more of a profit with smaller scale films because Bond has a built in audience anyway, and good enough word of mouth would mean audiences flock to it no matter what (didn't Deadpool do very well on a small budget? And horror films do all the time). This might be wishful thinking though because I just really hope you're wrong and we don't get endless spinoffs.
    Indeed. Big films have big revenue but not big profits. They're made not necessarily because they make more money, but because they're safer bets.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm the one who brought up the 'war against the white male' comment and so I want to clarify before this gets out of hand, as it tends to do.

It has become fashionable to focus on a 'female Bond' and have discussions about a 'minority Bond' and so on and so forth. I have nothing against people having these conversations on a theoretical level. Bond is an icon after all and it's fine that he is an inspirational figure for all (although perhaps some should consider better role models).

What I don't want is for such theoretical conversations to bleed into aspects of Bond's behaviour and Bond's world. He is in the business of spycraft. It's not a pleasant space and people in that business aren't necessarily politically correct. Rather, he inhabits a larger than life fantasy world. That's where he used to reside for many years anyway, and it is in that space where his attributes (good and most certainly bad) can be best personified. He is not a squeaky clean superhero and should retain some of the negative elements of his character, in my view.
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes, that is true, but that was due to a poor corporate structure and arrangement. MGM and EON made out like bandits while Sony got the shaft. A more equitable arrangement (likely happening with the new distributor) can result in large profits for all. Moreover, the costs were squandered in the last film (including a crazy expensive car chase and explosion). They could certainly have been more economical with the budget and still made bank, you're correct.

Having said that, the global market demands a certain level of innovative action and expense these days. So they will certainly have to deliver this either with real stuntwork or alternatively with CGI.
    @bondjames You are spot on re Bond's charater. There is no reason his behavoir should be political correct in all areas. But, we are in a culture at the moment where people are looking for offence in this area.

Look at how some reacted to BR2049, they seem to think that depicting something automatically implies approval.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/09/is-blade-runner-2049-a-sexist-film-or-a-fair-depiction-of-a-dystopic-future

It reminds me of the outcry from some areas re Dirty Harry. This was and is a complex political piece in addition to one hell of an action movie. Harry is a flawed character and we are not meant to approve of everything he does. Some kids may but the audience deserve the credit to be able to make their own judgements.

So, Bond as a character deserves some room to breath rather than be bound by the current straight jacket of political correctness. But, I'm not sure if EON will agree with me.
    I agree @patb. We are in a very sensitive time, motivated by political underpinnings as you noted in your first post on the subject. There is a lot of projection out there, but there is also of course inexcusable behaviour that should be punished (like what's going on in Hollywood).

Dirty Harry is a perfect example of the kind of character that would be pounced upon today by SJW's. It's not a coincidence that he hasn't been rebooted. Yes, I read the nonsense about BR2049. Idiots. Future oriented fantasy can be whatever it wants to be. It doesn't need to conform to anything.

Some of the remarks by Broccoli and Craig over the years have been concerning to me. I am not sure if they are just saying what they say to get the interviewers off their back or if they really mean it. If it's the latter then Bond won't remain what we know him to be for much longer. As I said, recent comments about locations, cars and watches as being where the focus will be going forward were troubling to read. Moreover, Broccoli in particular has been quite vocal about discrimination etc. due to her importance within the British film industry. One can imagine that she wants her prized possession to 'set a good example'. They've been playing up the 'hero' aspect of the character in interviews, and this suggests to me that they want him to be inspirational. At his core, I don't think Bond should be seen as such. There's more to him than his heroism.

Ultimately now that MGM, EON and the distributor have tasted box office gold, I'm quite certain they will want to retain that level of 'gross' success. It's true that larger revenue doesn't mean larger profit, but revenue certainly helps in terms of bragging rights, leverage with distributors, leverage with theatre chains etc. etc. so it has importance. To achieve such success in the environment we live in likely means accommodating and pandering to the sensibilities of the times, which are increasingly sensitive (exponentially so).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    mattjoes wrote: »
    For me, if Bond 25 ignored everything in the previous four films and just gave us a standalone entry, that would be cause for celebration.

Mixed feelings on this one. I always liked the Tracy references in the Moore and Dalton films. By Brosnan maybe it had been too long since OHMSS so they went vague with "Have you ever lost a loved one?"

The Craig films have gone the other direction, with Vesper being mentioned too much. Perhaps it's time for a break from the romantic angst (although the ending of SP points in that direction).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Is it a possibility they take SP out of the canon and install a proper entry in its place?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Is it a possibility they take SP out of the canon and install a proper entry in its place?

Moonlight Sonata, perhaps ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Don’t know if I agree that the PC culture has suffocated the DIRTY HARRY remake, @bondjames ; after all Eli Roth (the antithesis of PC), is remaking what looks like a very R-rated DEATH WISH re-make.

I do think that EoN has to answer PC, while not exactly practicing what they preach (recent examples: the seduction of Severine (that many had issues with- I did not, loved it in fact); taking Sciarra’s wife in SP, and; Bond banging Madeline could be seen as offensive to the PC Brigade (my offense was only that it didn’t jell with their relationship at that point, and the two actors weren’t bubbling with chemistry (they went through the motions))...

But Bond still feels like an outsider to our PC sensitivity ; that hasn’t changed. In fact, i feel it’s taken on more since the pandering of the Brosnan era (not a fan of Nytalia’s mothering; nor of Yeo’s equal agent; hated Jinx)...
    Moonlight Sonata, perhaps ;)
    Oh I see what you did there, you crafty old...! ;)
    I knew someone would bring up the Death Wish remake @peter. Let's see how that compares to the original when it's released. Being a Willis fan, I'll check it out. Still, Paul Kersey is no Harry Callahan, at least when it comes to PC. Callahan would be a far more offensive target for the 'warriors' because Kersey's family was killed after all. A lot of Harry's behaviour would be considered despicable today.

The SF & SP instances you mentioned are a welcome return to form for me, even though I don't think Craig pulls off those scenes as well as his predecessors did (Dalton excepted). So I hope you're right that EON is merely 'answering' the brigade in interviews rather than seriously contemplating eliminating this behaviour entirely.

I look forward to seeing how they deal with this after they recast (which is when they will have to come up with the new template). Hopefully they will allow the playfulness back in. I believe doing it with a wink may make it more tolerable to today's audiences.

The Brosnan era was a strange mix of nagging & pandering while still giving us male fans some red meat. It didn't gel well for me except in DAD, where they finally dumped all the lecturing and went for broke (in a campy way). Bond was allowed to be Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The original Death Wish was controversial, @bondjames, even back in the 70s since, as the original PC warriors said, it glorified vigilante revenge/justice.

Knowing Eli Roth's work, this new film won't be shying away from the controversy of the original films-- in fact, I think he will embrace it (I'm not saying that that's necessarily a good thing when it comes to this fillmmaker; in fact it may actually feed right into the PC brigade's criticisms).

I've been a fan of Willis since Moonlighting (dating myself, as I write that), but I've grown wary of him in the last decade-- his VOD sleep-walking performances. It's sad to see what can be perceived as a lack of effort on his part (yawn, gimme my cheque). He used to play the classic everyman so well... Maybe he will make a return in the SPLIT/UNBREAKABLE sequel that's being made (but I'm not going to hold my breath).

I think EoN's been smart in our snow-flake world where everyone gets offended by everything. In public they dance around the less "savoury" qualities of the character (and these are the same qualities that make us fans), play nice with the media, yet, whether one likes the actor playing the role or not, Bond is still Bond (and I like Craig with the women more than the shoulder-biting-corpse-smelling Brosnan-- but that's just a personal preference).

With a re-cast, they will continue to dodge the PC Brigade, but I think everyone at EoN know their boy very well, and he will continue to do things his way (no matter how slyly they have to massage it into the script). Critics will always be critics, but, in the end, EoN has to satisfy the customers and their expectations. They've been doing that pretty well, through thick and thin, for over half a century!
    Your continued optimism about EON is to be admired @peter. I don't share it as readily but I have no choice but to keep the faith because they have the keys to the kingdom for the time being. My only hope for the future is that they remain true to the filmic character and lay off the expositional nagging and lecturing about his flaws on film going forward. We get it (we got it in GE actually). Move on.

As I've mentioned, these big box office grosses are a curse as much as a blessing, because in our times in order to maintain that level of 'gross' they will be increasingly pressured to pander to sensibilities. This is certainly no longer the 60s, 70s or even the early 80s for that matter. More like the late 80s (post-aids) era on steroids.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    JET007 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    The media scrum re the Presidents Club party is fascinating IMHO. Without getting into the politics, is just true that our cultural values are changing at a remarkable pace. It's was only in 2012 that Bond walked naked unnanounced into a womans shower. Could/would that scene be written into a 2018 Bond effort? I'm not sure sure. The boundaries concerning what is and what is not acceptable are moving so quickly and only in one direction. The excellent book "Licence to Thrill" is going to need an update.

I'm VERY curious how this is going to come into play.

http://www.ladbible.com/community/film-and-tv-millennials-are-rewatching-james-bond-and-getting-seriously-offended-20180124
    Hope they get offended till they explode. Literally.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    talos7 wrote: »
    The media scrum re the Presidents Club party is fascinating IMHO. Without getting into the politics, is just true that our cultural values are changing at a remarkable pace. It's was only in 2012 that Bond walked naked unnanounced into a womans shower. Could/would that scene be written into a 2018 Bond effort? I'm not sure sure. The boundaries concerning what is and what is not acceptable are moving so quickly and only in one direction. The excellent book "Licence to Thrill" is going to need an update.

http://www.ladbible.com/community/film-and-tv-millennials-are-rewatching-james-bond-and-getting-seriously-offended-20180124

"They want me to feel bad for the guy who shot [Severine]"

Who does? Nowhere in the movie they say Silva is a good guy or that you should feel sorry for him. Infact, the movie makes the difference between Bond and Silva quite clear.

If anything Skyfall shows that not even the good guys are 100% good, as M made mistakes too. "The heroes and the villains get all mixed up." has been a recurring theme through Craig movies.

I can't believe people are this stupid.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sad state of affairs when news articles are formulated solely by tweets and Facebook comments.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs when news articles are formulated solely by tweets and Facebook comments.

Blurred out ones at that ...
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,600
    Is it possible to consider a culture that is so PC that classic Bond's have to be recut to be shown on TV. Ten years ago, that was a stupid idea but I fear we are moving closer to that. Poor old Sean will be diluted to fit in with modern day sensibilities "shocking"

Another point: see below some dialogue from my favourite movie: The Magnificent Seven..

Chris: So that's where they were. You hid them.
    Chico: Sure, they hid them, but she won't tell where. They're afraid — she's afraid — of me, you, him... all of us. Farmers. Their families told them we'd rape them.
    Chris: Well, we might. In my opinion, though, you might have given us the benefit of the doubt. Well, just as you please.
    Vin: You know, as long as you were out there, why didn't you bring 'em all in?
    Chico: What for? Leave them out there. Let Calvera find them. He'll take good care of them.
    Chris: Bring them in. (to Petra) Show him where

We might rape them!! What a killer line. Delivered by the leading hero of the Seven (a very mainstream movie). Its brilliant writing (and easy to miss and it's deleivered with great skill) as it reminds us that these guys are no angels. They are hired killers. They are human and not perfect. They may rape the girls!!!. This makes the characters so much more interesting and real IMHO It's dialogue like this (and the related characters) that we are in danger of losing.
    Is it possible to consider a culture that is so PC that classic Bond's have to be recut to be shown on TV. Ten years ago, that was a stupid idea but I fear we are moving closer to that. Poor old Sean will be diluted to fit in with modern day sensibilities "shocking"

Another point: see below some dialogue from my favourite movie: The Magnificent Seven..

Chico: Sure, they hid them, but she won't tell where. They're afraid — she's afraid — of me, you, him... all of us. Farmers. Their families told them we'd rape them.
    Chris: Well, we might. In my opinion, though, you might have given us the benefit of the doubt. Well, just as you please.
    Chico: What for? Leave them out there. Let Calvera find them. He'll take good care of them.

We might rape them!! What a killer line. Delivered by the leading hero of the Seven (a very mainstream movie). Its brilliant writing (and easy to miss and it's deleivered with great skill) as it reminds us that these guys are no angels. They are hired killers. They are human and not perfect. They may rape the girls!!!. This makes the characters so much more interesting and real IMHO It's dialogue like this (and the related characters) that we are in danger of losing.

A very good and true point Pat.
    And an excellent example to use as well.

I read this "well, we might" completely different. The way I see it he just admits the rationality of suspecting that a bunch of mercenaries is capable of raping their daughters.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 4,600
    He says it in the present tense. He could have said "we may have done" (past tense) or cut the line and said, "you could have given us the benefit....."

IMHO there is only one way to take that line. It's brutal and stark. Reflecting the lives of the seven.

we digress
    I don't think he wanted to imply they (the 7) might have done it. He was talking about what people (rightfully)believe mercenaries might do in general.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09p48xv

Last post before we get back on track....massive coincidence!!!!!!!!!, get into the car at 16.01 to collect the kids and hear this on the radio. Worth a listen to anyone interested in movie soundtracks

Which brings us back to, "How is EON going to take this into account for Bond 25?" Lest we forget, Fleming wasn't very PC either. We're almost veering into another topic though-can Millennials and their successors keep James Bond fandom alive-or will they be too offended?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    At this point in ANY interaction between Bond and a woman, be it professional or romantic, it will be absolutely made clear that they are "equals" and in the case of any sexual encounters both parties will be actively desiring it from the beginning. Sadly, no seduction.
    Walecs wrote: »

"They want me to feel bad for the guy who shot [Severine]"

Who does? Nowhere in the movie they say Silva is a good guy or that you should feel sorry for him. Infact, the movie makes the difference between Bond and Silva quite clear.

If anything Skyfall shows that not even the good guys are 100% good, as M made mistakes too. "The heroes and the villains get all mixed up." has been a recurring theme through Craig movies.

I can't believe people are this stupid.
    I think that person is talking about the prison scene in which we understand what happened to Silva.

At any rate, I agree the complain is utterly ridiculous.
    Potentially, they could make the films less expensive and still get a similar amount of profit from them, with the added benefit of not having to pursue such broad appeal. But I think that would be bad for the Bond brand-- it would get people talking about "how Bond is dying" or whatever. And I rather like my Bond films looking expensive, even with the terrible underuse of locations in recent years.
    To be honest I thought they were quite bold in SF and I respect them for it.

Harris is a black woman and yet her Eve character was put down (albeit playfully) by Bond and shown to be an incompetent (at least in the field). His exchanges with her in that film could surely cause offense to some, and more so since she has since been relegated to glorified secretarial duties. The optics are not good and they are bold for not caring.
    I know there are people complaining about the Bond films, but do we have serious reasons to think they're the majority, or that they represent a serious threat to the Bond films as we know them? It's not like the linked article was based on an statistical analysis of social media regarding the opinion on the Bond films. It's just a bunch of random tweets. These movies still make a lot of money and those who have no problem with them aren't going on Twitter to say just that. It's only when you have a problem with something that you complain. I understand it's a delicate time in our culture and that attention must be paid to those complaints, but the box-office of the Bond films doesn't reflect any sense of rejection toward them.
    peter wrote: »
    I think EoN's been smart in our snow-flake world where everyone gets offended by everything. In public they dance around the less "savoury" qualities of the character (and these are the same qualities that make us fans), play nice with the media, yet, whether one likes the actor playing the role or not, Bond is still Bond (and I like Craig with the women more than the shoulder-biting-corpse-smelling Brosnan-- but that's just a personal preference).

With a re-cast, they will continue to dodge the PC Brigade, but I think everyone at EoN know their boy very well, and he will continue to do things his way (no matter how slyly they have to massage it into the script). Critics will always be critics, but, in the end, EoN has to satisfy the customers and their expectations. They've been doing that pretty well, through thick and thin, for over half a century!
    It's possible that this is the case, and I hope you are right. As for the customers, the box-office is the best indicator that they're satisfied.

As @bondjames said, Bond is not a "squeaky clean superhero." We have to root for the guy but understand that, even with the films being fantasies, Bond is still working in a particularly risky, nasty profession that takes its toll on people. When he beds a woman for his job, he is not being misogynistic, he is using people --men or women-- to complete his mission. If audiences don't understand that or forget about it, they must be reminded of it through the films themselves, hopefully in subtle ways.

Or when you watch a heist film do you complain that the thieves are criminals? No, you just root for them.