No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Spielberg would make a great Bond film. One of Cubbys greatest mistakes was snubbing the great man.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I think we still have over a month till we find out something, whatever that was that Eon was going to sort out "by early 2018".
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,157
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Spielberg would make a great Bond film. One of Cubbys greatest mistakes was snubbing the great man.

Maybe 30 years ago, not now.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    RE: The director thing: EON have stated in the past that they are impressed by directors who have a passion for the franchise.

RE: Some directors avoiding it: Some (including Villeneuve) have indicated correctly that it's something they must approach with care, because it is steeped in history and audience expectations are very high and sometimes rigid. There is, to a degree, a restricted sandbox within which to play. Additionally, as we've discussed, some of the better ones including Nolan would prefer to re-imagine understandably, rather than taking on somebody else's vision and ideas.

RE: Spielberg: it's my understanding that he was under consideration during the TSWLM period. If true, then I'm happy Gilbert got the job instead, because it's a top 4 Bond film of mine and a true classic as it is.

RE: Bond villains: this esteemed gentleman has indicated an interest. He's not one that immediately comes to mind, but he's so good that I think he could do it.

Tom Hanks for Bond villain?
    The media scrum re the Presidents Club party is fascinating IMHO. Without getting into the politics, is just true that our cultural values are changing at a remarkable pace. It's was only in 2012 that Bond walked naked unnanounced into a womans shower. Could/would that scene be written into a 2018 Bond effort? I'm not sure sure. The boundaries concerning what is and what is not acceptable are moving so quickly and only in one direction. The excellent book "Licence to Thrill" is going to need an update.
    It could be directors may have their own vision of what they want to do and don’t want to fit into Eon’s sandbox.... take Nolan for example personally my guess is he wants to create and build up his 007 and his villains rather then work off of any previous group
    patb wrote: »
    The media scrum re the Presidents Club party is fascinating IMHO. Without getting into the politics, is just true that our cultural values are changing at a remarkable pace. It's was only in 2012 that Bond walked naked unnanounced into a womans shower. Could/would that scene be written into a 2018 Bond effort? I'm not sure sure. The boundaries concerning what is and what is not acceptable are moving so quickly and only in one direction. The excellent book "Licence to Thrill" is going to need an update.

I'm VERY curious how this is going to come into play.
    The way that Bond has changed over the years to (partially) keep in step with cultural changes is something that really interests me. There are so few movie characters (if any) that face this challenge.

Options: Have Bond be his "walk-in shower" self and deal with all backlash later

Water his character down to take this ellement out.

Openly refer to it as they did in GE (" a sexist, misogist etc") and deal with the issue head on.

Either way, I would be amazed if it had not crossed the minds of the script writers. What does fit is to have an "empowered" female villain, surely?
    Either way, I would be amazed if it had not crossed the minds of the script writers. What does fit is to have an "empowered" female villain, surely?
    I've been saying that this is the most likeliest scenario for some time. If they go this route, look for them to make her motivations sympathetic (we can't have a female villain being bad just for the sake of it in today's day and age. Such behaviour characteristics can only be reserved for males). Either that or they will have the female sidekick, drawing upon the success of Ilsa Faust in MI-RN (CIA operative most likely).

The war against the white male is real. It's with us and it's fashionable. My concern with the current EON regime is whether they have the b@!!$ to stand up to this or whether they will throw the towel in. Whether we like it or not, a lot of James Bond's success is attributable to his personification of male ego. He is and always will be an anachronism, and not a reflection of good behaviour.
    Remember if someone makes a joke again any other race but white it’s Racist
    If someone makes a joke against women it’s sexist
    If someone makes a joke against white males it’s humor
    talos7 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised to find out that a director has been in place for some time.

And I would be surprised if they have anything in place yet.
    The issue I have with the 'director in place' conversation is why was Villeneuve talking about being approached up until a month ago then? So I believe Craig has a right of first refusal on the director (no doubt it's a prerequisite for his return), and that may account for some of the delay in an announcement.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He’s talking about it because he knows it’s not him but doesn’t want to burn bridges.
    talos7 wrote: »
    He’s talking about it because he knows it’s not him but doesn’t want to burn bridges.
    Surely it would have been better to say nothing at all then, or speak hypothetically rather than specifically, which he did. He's the first chap I know who's talked openly about specific conversations.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondjames wrote: »
    RE: Bond villains: this esteemed gentleman has indicated an interest. He's not one that immediately comes to mind, but he's so good that I think he could do it.

Tom Hanks for Bond villain?
    Hanks is a Bond fan. He once said (paraphrasing) Felix Leiter was the guy that didn't do anything in the film, but was always there at the end to say 'You did it again, James!'. Not quite true, but funny.

I'm not convinced about his playing a villain, though. He is too big a star with too likable a screen persona, and that would work against him. Nothing to do with talent or skill, only with image and expectations. Nonetheless, it's an interesting possibility to analyze.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Didn't he play a villain in that new movie The Circle that got completely ripped to shreds? Can't say I see him fitting well into the Bond universe.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I would love to see Stellan Skarsgard play a Bond villain. He’d be great opposite Craig (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I would love to see Stellan Skarsgard play a Bond villain. He’d be great opposite Craig (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).
    Skarsgard would be great.
    I can feel it in my bones that a MAJOR announcement is IMMINENT.
    All units stand by for codeword. Codeword is imminent.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Stellan would be excellent.
    Wouldn't he have made a decent Blofeld? That's who I saw him as.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    mattjoes wrote: »
    All units stand by for codeword. Codeword is imminent.

We've got the title for Bond 25
    Speaking of Hanks and American villains, I think the time is right for a villain like Billion Dollar Brain's General Midwinter. I'm not sure he would be suitable for a Craig film, though.
    Without getting into the politics, is just true that our cultural values are changing at a remarkable pace. It's was only in 2012 that Bond walked naked unnanounced into a womans shower. Could/would that scene be written into a 2018 Bond effort? I'm not sure sure.

Even in 2012 that scene caught flak from various publications and people. Though Skyfall remains one of my favorite Craig films, many of Sévérine's scenes were carelessly written. Regardless of the year, the film should have done a better job of showing her pre-existing desire for Bond and his awareness of it.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wouldn't he have made a decent Blofeld? That's who I saw him as.

Agreed!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I can't take the idea of there being a war against the white male seriously at all to be honest. What's happening at the minute is a lot of minority groups who've felt oppressed or persecuted are starting to really voice their grieveances. And when you look at where we were just a few decades ago (you don't even need to go back that far, look at all the stuff that's coming out from Hollywood right now) I think you've got to say fair enough.

Probably will have an effect on Bond in some ways (would a female villain be a bad thing anyway? People have been suggesting thst on here for years) but I trust EON enough to think that the important aspects of his character won't change. I think the easiest route around it would be to make smaller scale movies rather than ones with budgets of hundreds of millions, and play up his vices, focus on him as an old fashioned anti hero. If it's not a massive blockbuster aiming for billions then it won't have to be focus grouped and micro managed to death and they can afford to be a bit edgier with it.
    As long as it stays with female villains, female sidekicks, minority (or female) bosses, and minority Felix and what not I can tolerate it (and even encourage it). Once it starts to infringe on his behaviour (and particularly his arrogance and womanizing) then I begin to have an issue. I have read comments by EON (and Craig) denigrating his prior behaviour, indicating with pride that he has recently been 'put in his place', and specifically suggesting that now it's about locations, fancy cars and fancy watches. That doesn't give me confidence quite frankly. Rather it gives me pause.

Bottom line is Bond has always been an outlier, and that has always been part of his appeal. He was 'edgy' within the context of the times. I believe that's how he should remain, and no that doesn't mean bespoke Aston Martins or Omegas (although I'm sure some get a twitch out of those sorts of things).

I'm afraid money and box office gross is indeed part of the problem. Sadly I can't see them going back to smaller scale films given the amount of money the last two have made. In an era of limited global brand IP, Bond is seriously underutilized, and the incentive will most likely be to exploit this going forward.
    What's happening at the minute is a lot of minority groups who've felt oppressed or persecuted are starting to really voice their grieveances
    You are not thinking globally. What about the opressors and opressed in China? Or India? Or Myanmar?
    would a female villain be a bad thing anyway?
    Of course not, in fact, it would be an excellent thing. I don't believe a single Bond fan would be against the idea of having a female main villain in Bond 25.
  • What's happening at the minute is a lot of minority groups who've felt oppressed or persecuted are starting to really voice their grieveances
    You are not thinking globally. What about the opressors and opressed in China? Or India? Or Myanmar?

What about them? If your point was the problems of minorities in the western world are nothing compared to over there then surely that makes the idea of white males being the ones really suffering even more silly, doesn't it?