No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    They might as well have the entire 3rd act take place in London again.
    Heaven forbid.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    And underscore it with Newman's "The Moors" from Skyfall
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 15,818
    Walecs wrote: »

Indeed. We should stop while we're ahead before we jinx it and that's what they actually end up doing.
    If this is true, then 4/5 craig films will include scenes in italy
    "ugh, yet another Bond film in Italy"

So what? If it works with the story - fantastic.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I didn't have a problem with the last two missions, but as long as London is given a break I'm good with other locations, including Italy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Walecs wrote: »

d3nMIYK.gif
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This 'news' (taken with a pinch of salt) has got me thinking. Bond will film around the time of Brexit occuring. I wonder what the implications are for EU filming locations. I suppose it doesn't really matter since the funding will come from a US production company, but still.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I love Venice, but enough with Italy. I want Bond in the US!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    My top 3 locations for B25...

1. UAE (Dubai or Abu Dhabi)

2. Greece (Athens or Santorini)

3. Monaco (Monte Carlo)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Definitely down for Greece in a Bond film. I'll pass on Dubai.
    Greece, yes. Greece. A good idea. I definitely like that.

Could be epic. Over the tragic, I mean.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,416
    I find it hard to believe that Paris has only been used once.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    no, @Last_Rat_Standing , I believe she was used more than once.... Just saying...
    I take the point on Paris really being a main location only in A View to a Kill.

Though Thunderball counts, and Paris studios were a major part of the Moonraker production. Plus Charles de Gaulle International Airport and and Drax's "California" estate south of Paris.
    London better be trimmed down & not be the 3rd act setpiece.
    The only London sequence we should be getting is the Mission Briefing scene.

It was original for Skyfall to have the location set there et al, but it's overdone and overstayed its welcome now. Back to tradition is the way it should be done.
    The temptation will be quite strong to include more London scenes in B25, given the Brexit situation. I also sincerely hope they resist. Time to use some interesting foreign locations, even if it's North America (there was a rumour a little while back that they were looking for a Canadian or American actress so I wonder if it's on the cards this time).
    If they need a Thai actress, we know which one they should be going for. ;)
  • //The temptation will be quite strong to include more London scenes in B25, given the Brexit situation.//

Ugh. The topic will be relevant, maybe, for a few weeks before/at/just after release. But it won't age well.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    If they need a Thai actress, we know which one they should be going for. ;)
    Oh, I most certainly hope so.

EDIT:
    //The temptation will be quite strong to include more London scenes in B25, given the Brexit situation.//

Ugh. The topic will be relevant, maybe, for a few weeks before/at/just after release. But it won't age well.
    True. I hope they just avoid it entirely but it will be difficult to do. Perhaps a passing mention, like the Hong Kong situation for TND, would suffice.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It's unlikely though not impossible that they'll use Paris as MI:6 will be using it as a location. But then that needn't stop them.
    I don't mind Venice being used, but I could think of other places I'd send Bond. Greece isn't a bad option. Should be relatively cheap to shoot there you'd think ;)
    After watching LALD this past week, I thought an updating of the novel LALD would be a neat send off for Daniel Craig. So many great elements to that book that could be used (ok so they've all been used before, but what Bond film hasn't reused stuff before), the keelhauling, Felix Leiter, Mr. Big. Obviously some of the characters might need a name change so it wasn't a direct remake, but story wise it could work. And some of the story.

I'll just be happy to get some actual news regarding Bond 25 to be honest.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Come to Minnesota, damn you Bond!
    Australia would be perfect
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 3,333
    The only London sequence we should be getting is the Mission Briefing scene.

It was original for Skyfall to have the location set there et al, but it's overdone and overstayed its welcome now. Back to tradition is the way it should be done.

100% agree with this. Aside from that, London is probably the most overused destination in big budget American movies. What with Marvel and Mission Impossible constantly choosing it, and I must have lost count of how many times London has been reduced to rubble in the Marvel and various disaster movies. Even the recent Transformers movie got in on the act.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    A thoughtful, little commentary over at Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/james-bond/54437/bond-25-why-is-james-bond-relevant-in-2019

I agree with the overall thesis: find what makes Bond relevant, and start forming a story (my note: a story with strong ties to an original Fleming story).

As the writer of the article says, making a good film is tough, making a great one is a serious challenge-- especially when it involves such a legendary character as Bond.

As noted, in the Craig era, they were able to breakthrough twice (CR and SF), and that's when the filmmakers were challenged to find relevancy of the character in today's world.

I wish all of them the best of luck for 25!
    People are right IMHO about discussing the impact of Brexit. Another example, perhaps of SF being ahead of its time? It woukd make sense for the writers to "push the patriotic, Churchill spirit" button but that button's been pressed already
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not sure I agree that a Bond film has to tell something about Bond's relevance in the world to be a critical or financial success. Some of the more successful recent films have done that, most notably GE & SF, but it's not necessary in my view.

As I've mentioned many times in the past, SF resonated with me primarily because of the visuals, the score (yes, the score which I found quite fresh), the characterizations and the central conflict between M & Silva. I really didn't pay attention to Bond's childhood 'manor' or his resurrection or his relevance. All of that was secondary to me (and to my friends and family members who I've asked about the film). In fact, to a degree, Bond himself was secondary to me in that film. Furthermore, many of the classic pre 90 Bond films (which it has become fashionable for some talking heads to dismiss) don't speak to relevance, and yet they are just as enjoyable today as they ever were.

I agree with the author however that gadgets, cars, violence and sex shouldn't be the focus, but rather should support a strong story.

I'm a simple man. For me to be happy. there just needs to be a good story told well. One with meaningful motivations and memorable characterizations, with actors who show up and aren't phoning it in, with wonderful cinematography, with top notch exotic (and previously unused) locations, with memorable dialogue, with death defying stunts (absent obvious or apparent CGI), with action that's non linear and unexpected, and with a half decent composer who doesn't recycle prior efforts. Most importantly, I'd also appreciate not being satiated with overly obvious throwback scenes (done poorly) that only make me miss the past.

SP's problem wasn't that it relied on formula, as the author contends. Rather, it was that it executed on that formula poorly imho.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Agreed. Look at Mission: Impossible. No navel-gazing and it works fantastically well. In fact, it's taken over former Bond territory in certain respects. There is no need to analyze Bond's relevance, no need to take the film beyond mere entertainment. It can be done every once in a while, and the results can be interesting and good, but its not necessary and it's definitely not something that has to be present in every film. Coming up with a villain and a plan and then adding Bond into the mix should be enough. The Maibaum method.
    I think what can be discussed is how Bond survives and thrives, as a series, as GB steadily declines. If you look at the state of GB when Fleming wrote the novels compared to where we are now, its a very different situation we find ourselves in. Of course, one tactic is to use the traditional and imagary of a bygone era (back to SF). But that trick can't keep going.Almost every week we see how the GB brand is weakened

Today, it looks like a French firm will take over the Carillion contracts - we cant even build road or rail track any more. That would be unthinkable in the SC era.

So does Bond confront and face this scenario or does he exist in a fictional universe where the lion still roars as it did in the 60s?