No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Craig’s looking good. Just saw some recent photos taken of him (yesterday) at the Three Billboards screening on Instagram (quantum.of.bond).
  • Daniel Craig apparently hosted a screening Three Billboards last night in NY. There are are photos of him online looking rather pally with Martin McDonagh, that film's writer and director. Craig has a penchant for getting his friend's jobs on these films. Could Martin McDonagh be involved?

4800731B00000578-0-Martin_went_for_a_suave_all_black_look_for_the_screening-m-13_1515669585059.jpg
    I know nothing about him but he isn’t Sam Mendes
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I know nothing about him but he isn’t Sam Mendes

Irish playwright.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,441
    He direct ''In Bruges'' with Ralph Fienes. More kind of directer as Yann Demange or Steven Soderbergh mabey. Then we can expect Abbie Cornish as Bondgirl and mabey Sam Rockwell as Hechman. There playing in all 3 movies he direct.

Great film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In Bruges is a terrific film. But, I'm not sure it evokes anything slightly Bondian. So, I don't think he's the kind of director who should be given the helm behind a Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In Bruges is a terrific film. But, I'm not sure it evokes anything slightly Bondian. So, I don't think he's the kind of director who should be given the helm behind a Bond film.

Agreed. I love everything I've seen directed by him, but I can't say he'd be a great choice for Bond.
    He also directed Seven Psychos and said Three Billboards outside...
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited January 2018 Posts: 108
    In the past, Martin McDonagh has been critical of franchise movies so I doubt he would helm a James Bond film. Also, he is not fond of what Bond represents. Some posters here may recall McDonagh garnered headlines at the 1996 Evening Standard Theatre Awards when he objected to a toast to the Queen and clashed with Sean Connery who told him to "Shut up or leave." An inebriated McDonagh told Connery to ... well, let's just say the encounter quickly deteriorated. Some relevant links on the subject:

- Border Crossings: Martin McDonagh's Celtic Tiger Feet, page 143
    - The Mirror: "007 Shaken, Not Stirred: Irish writer curses Bond at arts bash." (Nov 30, 1996)
    - The Guardian: McDonagh Profile - The Wild West (7th paragraph)

If McDonagh was hired, one can imagine the tabloid headlines: "Playwright who insulted the Queen and told the original James Bond to '---- off' will direct Bond 25. More on Page Six." ;)
    Well, what better publicity could we wish for :-)?
    The director who came in from the cold
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,425
    It’s not like Craig is a card carrying member of the Conservative Party. It’s called acting
    If that incident really happened, McDonagh will never be hired for a Bond film. It’s acting, sure, but it represents and glorifies an ideology he radically hates. Neither he nor the likes of Paul “It’s us versus them” Greengrass will ever direct a Bond film.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Probably true. Although I wonder if the face off with Connery might actually have endeared him to the Broccolis?!
    We forbid Greengrass lite with Forster and Nolan lite with Mendes. Would be nice to have the real though by for once.

Not that I actually want Greengrass - just someone bringing their own style rather than aping the latest cool thing. Although that’s kind of what Bond has done since the 70s.
    Any news about the Composer? My favourite choice would be Ramin Djawadi, i think he would be perfect for a Bond Movie. Here 2 of his amazing work on Game of Thrones, but also his work on "Person of Interest" was fantastic

Let's not got ahead of ourselves @Bernie99. I too like Ramin Djawadi and think he'd make an interesting choice for a future Bond score. But, until a director has been appointed, a composer won't be top of their priorities, nor will there be any forthcoming announcements. The same applies to the title performing artist. Another thing will be scheduling and how it fits in with B25's post production. Also, I'm not entirely sure whether Ramin Djawadi will be available for scoring duties as he seems to be a very busy chap. Though I do share your enthusiasm for Ramin Djawadi.
    Benny wrote: »
    From 1977 - 1995 Bond set the benchmark for done for real stunt work. Today I have to rely on Tom Cruise and Mission Impossible for jaw dropping action set pieces. If Bond 25 delivers on one front for me, please let's have OO7 be back as the man who delivers the most eye popping stunts.
    I decent story, good characters and an actual score would also be high on that list too.

I felt the plane stunt that opened the last M:I was so overused in the marketing that it failed to impress me when I finally saw it in the finished film. There wasn't anything in the movie beyond what was shown in the trailers or featurette that played in Regal Cinemas. It left me with a feeling of “wait, that’s it?”
    JET007 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    From 1977 - 1995 Bond set the benchmark for done for real stunt work. Today I have to rely on Tom Cruise and Mission Impossible for jaw dropping action set pieces. If Bond 25 delivers on one front for me, please let's have OO7 be back as the man who delivers the most eye popping stunts.
    I decent story, good characters and an actual score would also be high on that list too.

I felt the plane stunt that opened the last M:I was so overused in the marketing that it failed to impress me when I finally saw it in the finished film. There wasn't anything in the movie beyond what was shown in the trailers or featurette that played in Regal Cinemas. It left me with a feeling of “wait, that’s it?”

The stunt was great, I was just upset it was marketed so damn heavily, just to come and go in the opening five minutes of the movie. Then again, I'm getting pretty tired of entire set pieces showcased in a trailer, but what can you do.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Yup. It's included on the front page timeline and has been discussed.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Can this be considered potentially legitimate?
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Can this be considered potentially legitimate?

It's someone quoting "a source" so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    Is it that much different than Bond films like TSWLM or MR where the best stunts are in the precredits? I recall a review for Spy that finished with "No, they never did top that first stunt."

True, the plane escape was the best stunt in Rogue Nation. But many of the other action scenes were stunning and arguably better than anything the Bond series has put up in recent years as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't know going in that the plane stunt was the first thing in the film and I was curious as to how it ended up. But it was good in that you weren't sitting through the film thinking when is it going to come up. It got things off to a rousing start capped by the classic MI theme, prepping me for what's to come.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    True, the plane escape was the best stunt in Rogue Nation. But many of the other action scenes were stunning and arguably better than anything the Bond series has put up in recent years as far as I'm concerned.
    +1. Well said.
    Is Rogue Nation the last MI movie? If so I enjoyed that one. Probably the best of the lot I would say
    Yes, it's the latest.
    Great to see that Wishaw is returning, love his portrayal of Q. Liked harris in sf but hated her in sp, don't want an overused mp returning in bond 25. Fiennes is fine.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Great to see that Wishaw is returning, love his portrayal of Q. Liked harris in sf but hated her in sp, don't want an overused mp returning in bond 25. Fiennes is fine.
    To be fair, the article only claims Whishaw is returning without a direct quote from him. But it looks that way.