No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    talos7 wrote: »
    Saying that DaD is not as boring as SP is not the same as calling it a masterpiece.

Having the captain announce all the engines have failed on your plane or being buggered with a pineapple is not boring either. But it's also no indicator of quality.

SP is deeply flawed but with the exception of the score there's not a single area in which DAD is empirically a better film.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Hyperbole. Florists.
    Saying that DaD is not as boring as SP is not the same as calling it a masterpiece.

Having the captain announce all the engines have failed on your plane or being buggered with a pineapple is not boring either. But it's also no indicator of quality.

SP is deeply flawed but with the exception of the score there's not a single area in which DAD is empirically a better film.

Kinky....it must have hurt when you had it done though eh,Wiz ?

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

This is debatable, I'll take the score, minus the title track, of DAD anytime, but in an earlier post I said that, for me, it is a paradox that the individual elements of SP may be in large part superior but I find DAD a less boring, so in turn a more entertaining film.

DAD messed up with the things around Bond, SP messed up with Bond.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Not as much as watching DAD.
    I find DAD a less boring, so in turn a more entertaining film.

And I'll repeat again - not boring doesn't not automatically equate to entertaining.

I wasn't bored during DAD in the slightest. The invisible car, 'Yo mamma', the tsunami, every other line Jinx spews, the Robocop suit, the CGI machine vomiting all over the screen in the final act....

None of this is boring. But surely the essence of being entertainmed is not to be wishing for a brain aneurism so you don't have to sit through any more?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Remind me why we're talking about DAD in a B25 thread?
    boredom
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 19,339

Mind you,if you have been buggered by a pineapple you could probably park the Vanish you know where,it would be big enough .

............................................................................

All members in this DAD/SP conversation,just to let you know,although I find DAD an easier watch and more entertaining (especially when pissed),I still have SP higher at #11 in my rankings,compared to DAD in 19th.

Mind you,if you have been buggered by a pineapple you could probably park the Vanish you know where,it would be big enough .

............................................................................

All members in this DAD/SP conversation,just to let you know,although I find DAD an easier watch and more entertaining (especially when pissed),I still have SP higher at #11 in my rankings,compared to DAD in 19th.

To be fair we have veered off topic slightly which was: do some many people really not hate the invisible car?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't mind it, at all, but I don't see a reason why a reprisal would be necessary. Not unless Bond wants to play hide and seek with vehicles. Lol!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    It's slickly presented on screen, adds humor, is useful, fails, and Bond makes due.
    Never had a problem with it. Also, technology from Q Branch shouldn't be the current state. It should be levels above and beyond, so that's also a match. I've got problems with science and the laws of physics in DIE ANOTHER DAY, the Vanish isn't one them.

Exactly my thoughts Bruce,well said !

Seconded. I always chuckle at "Maybe you've been down here too long".
    Happy Thanksgiving my Bond family!

Anyone know if there will be any Bond marathons on TV today?
  • In a really good Bond film the invisible car would drag it down but it's right at home in a wonderful OTT mess like DAD. So I don't mind it. I'll take stupid high concept stuff like that over generic/boring/forgettable any day.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Streaming, Bond films 1-20 are all over Amazon Prime and Hulu.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think I would have hated the invisible car more if I wasn't already consumed with hatred for the tsunami sequence, Bond running away from the ice palace and clambering into the hot-rod thing (despite him knowing Jinx was in trouble), Toby Stephens impersonating Rik Mayal for 2 whole hours, Jinx's Carry On jokes at the end ('put it back in'), and the never ending climax in the aeroplane that went on for what seemed like hours.

Some amazing stuff got lost in the mix, such as the opening shot of the surfers, some of the stunt work, some Cuba scenes, the excellent sword fight, Judi Dench (of course) and a couple of the jokes ('Do you have a credit cart?').

And I was never really offended by the character of Jinx if I'm honest.

On balance DAD will never really deserve redemption as such, but it was literally one really thorough edit away from being a half decent Bond film. Shame really.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    I think I would have hated the invisible car more if I wasn't already consumed with hatred for the tsunami sequence, Bond running away from the ice palace and clambering into the hot-rod thing (despite him knowing Jinx was in trouble), Toby Stephens impersonating Rik Mayal for 2 whole hours, Jinx's Carry On jokes at the end ('put it back in'), and the never ending climax in the aeroplane that went on for what seemed like hours.

Some amazing stuff got lost in the mix, such as the opening shot of the surfers, some of the stunt work, some Cuba scenes, the excellent sword fight, Judi Dench (of course) and a couple of the jokes ('Do you have a credit cart?').

On balance DAD will never really deserve redemption as such, but it was literally one really thorough edit away from being a half decent Bond film. Shame really.

I think the worst thing about the tsunami sequence is that you could cut it out completely and it wouldn't make a difference. He goes straight back to the ice palace after for the car chase so there was really no point to it at all.

It definitely could have been a lot better than it was but to be honest I've come to terms with it now and have a lot of fun watching it. Roger Moore meets The Fast and Furious is how I'd describe it. It's a bad film but it's the fun kind of bad, the kind of bad where Bond breaks a landspeed record outrunning a giant space lazer then surfs a tsunami. The dialogue in that bit is great too. It's just all terrible puns. "How's that for a punch line", "sparkling personality", "time to draw the line". The film just loses it completely and it's brilliant.

I don't want all the Bond films to be like DAD but as a one off I've sort of grown to love it. I do think it's a crap film, one of the worst for sure but I have a blast watching it, and as you pointed out there are some genuinely good bits in there.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I find DAD a less boring, so in turn a more entertaining film.

And I'll repeat again - not boring doesn't not automatically equate to entertaining.

I wasn't bored during DAD in the slightest. The invisible car, 'Yo mamma', the tsunami, every other line Jinx spews, the Robocop suit, the CGI machine vomiting all over the screen in the final act....

None of this is boring. But surely the essence of being entertainmed is not to be wishing for a brain aneurism so you don't have to sit through any more?

Entertaining is a subjective term; I wouldn’t pompous and arrogant enough to think that my opinion is fact and would apply to everyone.
    NicNac wrote: »

The reason I cannot forgive the invisible car is that up until that point it was all salvageable. The only bad things were Jinx and the sub Carry On double entendre on the beach and the CGI dive off the ramparts.

But at 03.05 below the film hits the iceberg:

From then on the film just keeps on taking water so by the time the tsunami happens it doesnt really matter because by this time the ship is standing on end and you're already reconciled to the fact that everyone is going to die.
    Some amazing stuff got lost in the mix, such as the opening shot of the surfers

Probably the most underrated stunt in the series. Should Bond surf? Probably not but to get three guys that close together on a wave that size was very impressive. But tragically no one remembers it amongst the holocaust that follows.

Speak for yourself. I went to see a Bond film not a dismal buddy movie. The poster and the last half of the film had them equal billing. And the fact that they actually spent time and effort working on a spin off for such a terrible character is pretty disgraceful. That it was the studio that pulled the plug not EON shows just how much they had lost the plot.

I broadly agree with this. A pretty savage edit though.

Brilliant retorts from @TheWizardOfIce. I side with you on everything you say about this abomination of a Bond movie.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    As far as I can tell, nobody here said DAD was a masterpiece.

Strictly speaking, perhaps 'not boring' doesn't equal 'entertaining', but if someone says something isn't boring they are probably saying it's at least reasonably entertaining. I find DAD entertaining (but not more than Spectre) because of its sense of spectacle. Not unlike Moonraker, it feels like a film made with the relentless intention of giving a theater audience something as distinctive as possible to look at. That doesn't make it a masterpiece, but that's its own appeal. Spectre can't match it in this particular regard.

Now, whether the film's individual elements work for the viewer or not is a matter of taste, but I do imagine the complaints about the invisible car are not dissimilar to those back in the day about Moonraker, with the gondola, as well as the guy in the coffin, Jaws trying to fly, laser guns, etc. It's all a matter of perspective. Back in the day it may've seemed like a travesty, but nowadays not so much.

I find DAD's change of tone from serious and relatively down to earth to comparatively lighthearted and over-the-top a more significant shortcoming than anything about invisible cars.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 40,473
    DAD may have lots of objective flaws, but one thing it isn't guilty of is being boring.

EDIT: Thought this was a different thread. Lets keep this going elsewhere, SP v DAD can be discussed in much better threads.
  • Add my vote to the legions who have always found the Vanish entertaining, well-rendered, well-deployed, and perfectly realistic for the fantastical film world shared by You Only Live Twice and The Spy Who Loved Me—or as some would prefer me to say: +1.

And yes, wrong thread for all of this. Not sure we have a thread yet for pineapples though.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 832

Certainly it has better pacing.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Have I stumbled into an alternate universe or something?

That's four people in a row saying they haven't got a problem with the invisible car!

It's an utter embarrassment that had me cringing into my seat worried that the audience might recognise me as a Bond fan.

When Cleese wheels it out and then his legs go all weird as he walks round it (why does this even happen? If the cameras work as described then why would his legs do that? Abysmal) my heart sank through the floor and I swear I heard the sound of the Fonz flying overhead on his water skis.

I remember watching Have I Got News For You a few days before I went to see DAD and Paul Merton mentioned there was an invisible car and everyone in the audience laughed uproariously. I thought to myself 'It can't be as bad as they're making out. EON wouldn't be that stupid. And then John Cleese's legs turned to spaghetti before my eyes and I was left like Chuck Heston on the beach in front of the Statue of Liberty pounding the sand and shouting 'You really did it? You maniacs! God damn you all to hell!'

Am I really on my own here?

Yes SP wasn't great but this retconning of DAD as some sort of masterpiece of cinema over the last few days really is getting out of hand.
    Five, not four. DAD is the best Bond parody we ever had or ever will get.

Cleese´s leg go all weird is a hommage to the Silly Walk he did once in Monty Python´s Flying Circus.

Why don't you make that 5, Wiz!
    Ok, six then. Or 007.
    There is much to dislike in DAD, i'm surprised no one mentions the Bond stopping his heartbeat scene. Derek Flint territory, certainly not Bond. For me DAD is the worst in the series. Its unbeatable in that category!
    Pardon. Back on topic would be nice!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 623
    Do you remember when Jinx and Bond meet, and she says "wow, there's a mouthful", as she looks down at Bond's tackle?
    Then later, she says "you're a big boy", and looks at his groin again?
    Why didn't someone involved with the movie say "hey, we've already done the Carry On style big cock joke once!"
    I know some people were disappointed in Spectre, but come on, Spectre is a universe away from that schoolboy stuff.

By the way, is it true that Die Another Day is the only Purvis & Wade script that hadn't been polished by someone else?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Make it seven as I had no problem with the invisible car within the context of DAD.

The 'era' by that point had already been degenerating since GE into predictable pastiche and poorly conceived greatest hits nods, so it didn't surprise me when I saw it. As @thelivingroyale noted somewhere earlier, Brosnan held it together and kept his cool as the entire film disintegrated around him and it sort of works (in a wonky way) as a result.

Ironically, that scene in SP where Bond sees the Aston for the first time with Q reminded me very much of that DAD tube scene where Bond and Q (R?) see the Aston. A pity.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    There is much to dislike in DAD, i'm surprised no one mentions the Bond stopping his heartbeat scene. Derek Flint territory, certainly not Bond. For me DAD is the worst in the series. Its unbeatable in that category!
    Pardon. Back on topic would be nice!

Don’t blame you; it’s roughly tied with MR as my least favorite. I find things to like about them, but they are just the most flawed and weak overall.