No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Well? Roll on early 2018 where we will hopefully get some official news regarding Director and Distributor!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I thought journalism was dying on its arse? Have broadsheets really got money to spunk on people writing fluff pieces like this that I'd normally expect to read on these forums?

Why is someone who thinks a return to the cliched, box ticking, Fererro Rocher naffness of the Brosnan era is the way forwards for the series being given a platform?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As long as they don't turn Bond into a Kingsman clone as well as making him do Gunkata like John Wick, I'm good.

• Always nice to see some Nightfire love. Can't see an adaptation happening now but would have been a much better film than DAD, even with the space finale.

Always nice to see some Nightfire love. Can't see an adaptation happening now but would have been a much better film than DAD, even with the space finale.
    Agreed! The 20th film should've been NF rather than DAD.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Loved everything about Nightfire, except for the climax in space. Would love to see it adapted in to a Daniel Craig Bond film.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I predict the next actor does 2.

Agreed. Craig and CR will be a tough act to follow.
    Earlier: where @TripAces says the buck stops with the producers (as responsible for the creative decisions that make it on screen): I believe it means the buck stops with the producers (they're responsible).
    And I totally agree.

Ah right having read it again I think you're correct. It was just with the general anti negativity theme of his post I got it into my head he was trying to defend them. But absolutely - I agree too. The shoddily written buck does indeed stop with them.

It's really unclear to me why Babs and MGW (1) didn't nix Stepbrothergate (2) didn't see the lack of chemistry between Craig and Seydoux in the casting process and (3) didn't complain about the reused score in the pretitles, for God's sake! Even on the rare occasion when Barry would reuse a track it was around 2/3 of the way through the film.

My guess? They ceded too much creative control to Craig and Mendes, which is why I'd prefer that that duo be split up for Bond 25.

If any one from EON does ever check out these pages they will no doubt be having a good chuckle.

They've just had two of the most commercially successful entries in the series and every other post on here is saying how wrong they got it.

DAD was commercially successful and look what happened - Devoid of any creative competence, the removal of their very popular leading man and a 4 year hiatus.

EoN aren't going to hear anything negative about SF. It was s huge critical and commercial success. SP OTOH was a messy joke. They F'd up in a very colossal and pronounced way. For all the goodwill and hard work CR re-established SO what all over it in the most careless and worse way possible. Urgh.
    Have to agree. Sorry but I do consider SP a complete failure, one of 4 actually bad bond films. Sure there is a good film somewhere within it, some great scenes (pts, train fight, etc) but the film as a whole doesnt work. Its let down by bad pacing, unjustified drama, bad plot developments such as brothergate (notice that this isbt listed first), campiness, bad villain, and even disappointing action with a few exceptions. So yes I do consider SP to be a failure, contrary to some claims that one can't do so. I like sf by the way. Yes sp was commercially successful, relatively, but I don't care about commercial sucess except insofar as it influences the next film. Spectre did not deserve either its commercial or critical reception, and I hope bond 25 is more in the vein of cr and sf.

"Complete failure"? This is just hyperbole that undercuts any valid points you are making.

Also regarding the previous comment the idea SP is comparable to DAD is laughable.

It just underlines what I said previously which is that valid criticism of SP has turned into an echo chamber of alternative facts where SP is amongst the worst in the series and a total failure.

"Also regarding the previous comment the idea SP is comparable to DAD is laughable."

It certainly is. Simply because DAD is so much better to watch. Say what you want about it( and you're probably true with much of it )but one thing it is not guilty off. It is not boring. It takes you on a ride from the first minute to the last without anyone ever getting dour in it. It also never pretends to be more than a Bond movie. Oh God, I miss these days!
    Let me also add that back in 2002 I met many that made jokes about that tsunami scene, but no one said it was a bad - let alone boring - movie. Just the opposite in fact. Everybody felt greatly entertained.

There is an element of truth to this. In a way, DAD is perhaps the least boring of all the Brosnan films. That's why I always put TWINE at the absolute bottom of my rankings - a total snore fest from start to finish. I know what you mean about SP but there's enough in there to elevate it above DAD. That's my view any way.
    No matter which one is better or worse, it´s telling that those two are compared so easily.

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I actually think DAD is the most boring of Brosnan's films, because of its second half.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I actually think DAD is the most boring of Brosnan's films, because of its second half.

I must admit, I have never considered any Bond film, even in part, to be boring. DAD and MR are at the bottom of my list because of invisible cars and lasers in space. LOL
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited November 2017 Posts: 6,730
    TripAces wrote: »

I must admit, I have never considered any Bond film, even in part, to be boring. DAD and MR are at the bottom of my list because of invisible cars and lasers in space. LOL

Nor me, but some, or parts of some, are definitely less engaging than others. The second half of DAD is still good fun with the car chase and the greenhouse scenes, but in terms of narrative progression, it's not very interesting, snd there is not enough character interaction for my taste.

I really don't mind the car, the laser or the surfing.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Loved everything about Nightfire, except for the climax in space. Would love to see it adapted in to a Daniel Craig Bond film.
    Nightfire wouldn’t work as a Craig Bond thriller. For that, you need a more extravagant and fun Bond like Brosnan, Connery and Moore.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Nightfire wouldn’t work as a Craig Bond thriller. For that, you need a more extravagant and fun Bond like Brosnan, Connery and Moore.

I don't want to see an adaptation but they could nick bits of it. The Austria stuff is classic/old school Bond at its best. I'd love to see it worked into a film, could make a great PTS. I also really like the idea of Bond disfiguring the henchman in their first meeting, setting up a proper rivalry for the inevitable second round later on.

I also think the villain's plan (Goldfinger with nukes) is a cool one. It's funny that even though people talk about world domination being a Bond trope, we've never actually had a bad guy try to take over the world in the films. Is Nightfire the only James Bond story with that as an angle?

I wouldn't mind a return to formula/tradition with the next actor to be honest. It's all about the execution. TSWLM was very formula driven, has all the tropes, but it feels fresh and exciting because everyone is firing on all cylinders to make sure the audience has fun, and it just all comes together really well. Plus it's been that long since we did have a straightforward old school James Bond on a James Bond mission doing James Bond things film that it'd actually feel sort of fresh.
    Now that you mention it, @thelivingroyale, the Austrian segment did serve as the PTS for the PC version, as opposed to the Paris Prelude of the console version.

I don't want to see an adaptation but they could nick bits of it. The Austria stuff is classic/old school Bond at its best. I'd love to see it worked into a film, could make a great PTS. I also really like the idea of Bond disfiguring the henchman in their first meeting, setting up a proper rivalry for the inevitable second round later on.

I also think the villain's plan (Goldfinger with nukes) is a cool one. It's funny that even though people talk about world domination being a Bond trope, we've never actually had a bad guy try to take over the world in the films. Is Nightfire the only James Bond story with that as an angle?

I wouldn't mind a return to formula/tradition with the next actor to be honest. It's all about the execution. TSWLM was very formula driven, has all the tropes, but it feels fresh and exciting because everyone is firing on all cylinders to make sure the audience has fun, and it just all comes together really well. Plus it's been that long since we did have a straightforward old school James Bond on a James Bond mission doing James Bond things film that it'd actually feel sort of fresh.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I feel that TSWLM plods along, and can be quite boring on repeat viewings.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Indeed and so did GE. We need an actor change for that and with luck we'll get it for B26 and the 60th anniversary outing (which would be a great time to deliver a killer formula driven entry). As I've lamented in the past, I'm not sure if this EON team can deliver that though (the last good one was GE as mentioned, when Cubby was still with us). Hope for the best.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Dennison wrote: »
    Yawn.

You do an awful lot of yawning on these forums. Can I suggest you add something more pertinent to the forums, or maybe get more sleep?
  • TripAces wrote: »

Still the invisible car, using exactly the technique they described in the movie, already exists for years.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,423

Still the invisible car, using exactly the technique they described in the movie, already exists for years.
    For some, that’s a lot of information to take in half a sentence, @noSolaceleft. Some people just don’t want to. Otherwise, I’ve been saying the same thing for quite a lot of time and the Thought Police here suppresses/buries it. Hell, they even showed a prominent example in Top Gear. But, no use trying to inform the biased. To some here, the only relevant thing is a USB flash drive containing the NOC list, a rogue agent as the plot device, and at most, a bomb to defuse in the middle of a city. That’s as far as Bond should get as a fantasy for some, here.

I could have lived with that level of camouflage.

But the way it's presented in DAD is too invisible. You can't even see an outline in some scenes.

I've heard people say it's as credible as the underwater Lotus but that gets a free pass when the invisible car gets slated. This is very true but I don't make the rules about what works and what doesn't.

The Lotus is a classic over the top Bond moment and the invisible car is an horrendous shark jumping shit moment. That's just the way it is I'm afraid. If making films was an exact science they'd all be brilliant and take home $1bil every time.
    I don't mind the car at all,it even gets hit by a snowmobile and the camouflage system totally breaks down.

Yes,it was very camouflaged,but light reflected mirrors is fine with me,i don't really get why so many people slag it off when it is a possibility in real life.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,031
    It's slickly presented on screen, adds humor, is useful, fails, and Bond makes due.
    Never had a problem with it. Also, technology from Q Branch shouldn't be the current state. It should be levels above and beyond, so that's also a match. I've got problems with science and the laws of physics in DIE ANOTHER DAY, the Vanish isn't one them.
    It's slickly presented on screen, adds humor, is useful, fails, and Bond makes due.
    Never had a problem with it. Also, technology from Q Branch shouldn't be the current state. It should be levels above and beyond, so that's also a match. I've got problems with science and the laws of physics in DIE ANOTHER DAY, the Vanish isn't one them.

Exactly my thoughts Bruce,well said !

It's dreadful.
    Dennison wrote: »

It's dreadful.
    Have I stumbled into an alternate universe or something?

That's four people in a row saying they haven't got a problem with the invisible car!

It's an utter embarrassment that had me cringing into my seat worried that the audience might recognise me as a Bond fan.

When Cleese wheels it out and then his legs go all weird as he walks round it (why does this even happen? If the cameras work as described then why would his legs do that? Abysmal) my heart sank through the floor and I swear I heard the sound of the Fonz flying overhead on his water skis.

I remember watching Have I Got News For You a few days before I went to see DAD and Paul Merton mentioned there was an invisible car and everyone in the audience laughed uproariously. I thought to myself 'It can't be as bad as they're making out. EON wouldn't be that stupid. And then John Cleese's legs turned to spaghetti before my eyes and I was left like Chuck Heston on the beach in front of the Statue of Liberty pounding the sand and shouting 'You really did it? You maniacs! God damn you all to hell!'

Am I really on my own here?

Yes SP wasn't great but this retconning of DAD as some sort of masterpiece of cinema over the last few days really is getting out of hand.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Saying that DaD is not as boring as SP is not the same as calling it a masterpiece.
    Have I stumbled into an alternate universe or something?

That's four people in a row saying they haven't got a problem with the invisible car!

It's an utter embarrassment that had me cringing into my seat worried that the audience might recognise me as a Bond fan.

When Cleese wheels it out and then his legs go all weird as he walks round it (why does this even happen? If the cameras work as described then why would his legs do that? Abysmal) my heart sank through the floor and I swear I heard the sound of the Fonz flying overhead on his water skis.

I remember watching Have I Got News For You a few days before I went to see DAD and Paul Merton mentioned there was an invisible car and everyone in the audience laughed uproariously. I thought to myself 'It can't be as bad as they're making out. EON wouldn't be that stupid. And then John Cleese's legs turned to spaghetti before my eyes and I was left like Chuck Heston on the beach in front of the Statue of Liberty pounding the sand and shouting 'You really did it? You maniacs! God damn you all to hell!'

Am I really on my own here?

Yes SP wasn't great but this retconning of DAD as some sort of masterpiece of cinema over the last few days really is getting out of hand.

I'm with you. And the VR stuff was awful too.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Why don't you make that 5, Wiz!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Accepting the fantastic presented in a Bond film? It's easy.
    The Vanish is a decent example for that.