No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    shamanimal wrote: »
    Do you remember when Jinx and Bond meet, and she says "wow, there's a mouthful", as she looks down at Bond's tackle?
    Then later, she says "you're a big boy", and looks at his groin again?
    Why didn't someone involved with the movie say "hey, we've already done the Carry On style big cock joke once!"
    I know some people were disappointed in Spectre, but come on, Spectre is a universe away from that schoolboy stuff.

By the way, is it true that Die Another Day is the only Purvis & Wade script that hadn't been polished by someone else?

Officially I think that's true but they've tried to shift a lot of the blame onto Tamahori since then. To be fair a lot of the bad ideas were his but still, he didn't write it or come up with the story. They have to take a lot of the blame. As do Babs and MGW for signing off on all that stuff.

I hate how Brosnan is one of the few brightspots in DAD and he got used as a scapegoat for them to distance themselves, while the people who wrote the film got to keep their jobs.

Very true.

How would Oscar Wilde have put it:

'Making a pig's ear of one Bond's 4th film may be regarded as a misfortune. Making a pig's ear of two seems like gross ineptitude.'

Somebody should certainly have been sacked after DAD and it shouldn't have been Brozza.
    @AlexanderWaverly I heard from a friend that there was a clash between Michael G. Wilson and Richard Maibaum, the former of whom called the latter a "has been". Is that true?
    I hope not. I think Wilson had a nice input on the scripts. Perhaps he was afraid he´d run out of ideas, but the scripts he wrote on were a lot better than most of what came after. Apparently someone thought the zeitgeist demanded stuff like a man falling faster than a plane, and soap opera elements like a rogue 00 agent, which is in a way not that far from brothergate.

shamanimal wrote: »
    Do you remember when Jinx and Bond meet, and she says "wow, there's a mouthful", as she looks down at Bond's tackle?
    Then later, she says "you're a big boy", and looks at his groin again?
    Why didn't someone involved with the movie say "hey, we've already done the Carry On style big cock joke once!"
    I know some people were disappointed in Spectre, but come on, Spectre is a universe away from that schoolboy stuff.

By the way, is it true that Die Another Day is the only Purvis & Wade script that hadn't been polished by someone else?

Officially I think that's true but they've tried to shift a lot of the blame onto Tamahori since then. To be fair a lot of the bad ideas were his but still, he didn't write it or come up with the story. They have to take a lot of the blame. As do Babs and MGW for signing off on all that stuff.

I hate how Brosnan is one of the few brightspots in DAD and he got used as a scapegoat for them to distance themselves, while the people who wrote the film got to keep their jobs.

Very true.

How would Oscar Wilde have put it:

'Making a pig's ear of one Bond's 4th film may be regarded as a misfortune. Making a pig's ear of two seems like gross ineptitude.'

Somebody should certainly have been sacked after DAD and it shouldn't have been Brozza.

I can remember during the period of recasting and speculation 2004/2005 Pierce had strong support in favor of him staying on for B21 (especially on the fan forums). I thought he looked great in the 2000's and probably could have remained Bond thru his Mamma Mia- 13 years after his Bond debut.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @AlexanderWaverly I heard from a friend that there was a clash between Michael G. Wilson and Richard Maibaum, the former of whom called the latter a "has been". Is that true?
    I hope not. I think Wilson had a nice input on the scripts. Perhaps he was afraid he´d run out of ideas, but the scripts he wrote on were a lot better than most of what came after. Apparently someone thought the zeitgeist demanded stuff like a man falling faster than a plane, and soap opera elements like a rogue 00 agent, which is in a way not that far from brothergate.
    The case of Alec Trevelyan worked well, but it's a once in a while thing that takes effect to relevance. Somebody in the production department thought repeating the personal stuff melodrama would add "quality" to the narrative. How eventful.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tagline for Bond 25

This time it s impersonal!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tagline for Bond 25

This time it s impersonal!

Brilliant!
  • I don't think they've gone far enough with it. I think with B25 they need to retcon every past villain Bond has ever faced—Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Stromberg, Zorin, Sanchez, Boris Grishenko—into having secretly been agents of SPECTRE all this time! That would really enrich my enjoyment of the series.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The case of Alec Trevelyan worked well, but it's a once in a while thing that takes effect to relevance. Somebody in the production department thought repeating the personal stuff melodrama would add "quality" to the narrative. How eventful.

It's very hard to improve on GE.
    I don't think they've gone far enough with it. I think with B25 they need to retcon every past villain Bond has ever faced—Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Stromberg, Zorin, Sanchez, Boris Grishenko—into having secretly been agents of SPECTRE all this time! That would really enrich my enjoyment of the series.

Did they also have connections to Bond s childhood? If so, I am over the moon.
  • I don't think they've gone far enough with it. I think with B25 they need to retcon every past villain Bond has ever faced—Goldfinger, Scaramanga, Stromberg, Zorin, Sanchez, Boris Grishenko—into having secretly been agents of SPECTRE all this time! That would really enrich my enjoyment of the series.

Did they also have connections to Bond s childhood? If so, I am over the moon.

Over the Colonel Moon? Yes, he had blood ties to Bond's family no question.
    Don t know about you guys, but I am definitely watching B 25.

It's very hard to improve on GE.
    But... but... but... Raoul Silva! Skyfall! It's a masterpiece! Dontcha geddit?!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Haven't you been paying attention to the few time-travelling members here who claimed B25 sucks?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Haven't you been paying attention to the few time-travelling members here who claimed B25 sucks?

I am into sucking films. On a research basis.

Someone in the EON camp did say that, but I don't think it was Wilson.
    ...when it was decided it was time for fresh blood, Maibaum was gone and Wilson stayed. Of course. Albert R. Broccoli wasn't going to say goodbye to his stepson and successor.

Perhaps, but Wilson never co-wrote a Bond film again. Which is perhaps a shame, because Maibaum and Wilson were a good team.
    The real question:

Would Mr Wilson get on with Dennis Villeneuve?
    bbzFchh.jpg
    Revelator wrote: »

Very baffling, if you ask me. Especially because Maibaum is the greatest screenwriter the Bond franchise has ever had. Don't know if whoever said it had functioning brain cells.
    Don't know if whoever said it had functioning brain cells.

If this is a hidden kick towards the administrator and the mods, PLEASE what bad taste.
    Don't know if whoever said it had functioning brain cells.
    If this is a hidden kick towards the administrator and the mods, PLEASE what bad taste.
    wait-what.jpg

I mean. Who on this site isn't? lol
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I mean. Who on this site isn't? lol

I know, but I will see it once maybe twice if it is really good, whereas the haters will see it 20 times in hope it will improve.
  • @AlexanderWaverly I heard from a friend that there was a clash between Michael G. Wilson and Richard Maibaum, the former of whom called the latter a "has been". Is that true?

I've never heard that myself.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Me neither.

I always understood that there was a writer's strike or something that precluded Maibaum working much on LTK hence MGW pretty much wrote it himself.

And then of course by the time 1995 rolled round he was a literal has been having died in 91.
    //I hate how Brosnan is one of the few brightspots in DAD and he got used as a scapegoat for them to distance themselves, while the people who wrote the film got to keep their jobs.//

Something similar happened after Licence to Kill. Michael G. Wilson was the primary writer (the teaser trailer said "screenplay by Michael G. Wilson") while Richard Maibaum only worked on the plot. But when it was decided it was time for fresh blood, Maibaum was gone and Wilson stayed. Of course. Albert R. Broccoli wasn't going to say goodbye to his stepson and successor.

What's your source for this?

Given that Maibaum died in 91, a year when they were more worried about if they would ever make another film rather than who they should be getting to do the first draft, and I've literally never heard any mention of this ever before it all sounds highly speculative.
  • Baseless assumptions are in vogue these days. We call them into question or nod our heads silently based upon whether they align with our own opinions of the series.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I can't confirm that MGW called Richard Maibaum a 'has-been', but I did read somewhere that Maibaum thought LTK was one of the worst Bond scripts he'd read and he wasn't a fan of it. I think he worked on some of the plot elements but a writers guild strike in 1988 prevented him from continuing (sound familar?). Moral of the story - never let Bond go rogue - it always ends with a writers strike! :)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Satorious wrote: »
    Moral of the story - never let Bond go rogue - it always ends with a writers strike! :)
    So when Bond goes rogue... he REALLY goes rogue.
    I don't believe for a minute Michael would have ever referred to Maibaum as a has-been.
    I do think, however, for B17 Eon was looking to freshen things up with a new writer and director, hence Alphonse Ruggiero on the script. LTK wasn't exactly the hit in the US Eon was hoping for, and I imagine they were conflicted on what type of approach to take Dalton's Bond next.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Revelator wrote: »

Very baffling, if you ask me. Especially because Maibaum is the greatest screenwriter the Bond franchise has ever had. Don't know if whoever said it had functioning brain cells.

Agreedl And as others have pointed out, Maibaum was dead long before 1995 (would that he have had some input on that script!).
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 2,115

Me neither.

I always understood that there was a writer's strike or something that precluded Maibaum working much on LTK hence MGW pretty much wrote it himself.

And then of course by the time 1995 rolled round he was a literal has been having died in 91.
    //I hate how Brosnan is one of the few brightspots in DAD and he got used as a scapegoat for them to distance themselves, while the people who wrote the film got to keep their jobs.//

Something similar happened after Licence to Kill. Michael G. Wilson was the primary writer (the teaser trailer said "screenplay by Michael G. Wilson") while Richard Maibaum only worked on the plot. But when it was decided it was time for fresh blood, Maibaum was gone and Wilson stayed. Of course. Albert R. Broccoli wasn't going to say goodbye to his stepson and successor.

What's your source for this?

Given that Maibaum died in 91, a year when they were more worried about if they would ever make another film rather than who they should be getting to do the first draft, and I've literally never heard any mention of this ever before it all sounds highly speculative.

What's my source for what? Wilson initially getting solo writing credit?

A trailer I saw (and recorded on VHS) that was shown on the U.S. cable channel E! At the time, the channel had a half-hour show of movie trailers. It was introduced by actor Jim Varney who said the word was Licence to Kill was "the best James Bond movie in years."

Also, in those days, the weekly edition of Variety published a digest of movies in production. It listed key cast and key crew members. While Licence to Kill was in production, it only listed Michael G. Wilson as the writer. I looked it up at the time at a local newsstand that got Variety.

Later trailers (including the two on the 1999 or 2000 release of LTK) changed it to "Written by Michael G. Wilson and Richard Maibam." That's, of course, how it ended up in the final film.

And, yes, there was a 1988 Writer's Guild strike. Maibaum didn't cross the picket line. He had participated in the plotting prior to that.

Meanwhile, Michael G. Wilson and Alphose Ruggeiro turned in a 17-page treatment dated May 8,1990 (a year before Maibaum died) for a Bond 17 story that was never made. That included a fembot. I have a copy. (Page 15: "Nan is a lethal security robot!")

This was before everything got bogged down in lawsuits. But it shows Eon was moving forward without Maibaum.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 2,896
    Satorious wrote: »
    I did read somewhere that Maibaum thought LTK was one of the worst Bond scripts he'd read and he wasn't a fan of it.

I've read that Maibaum thought LTK suffered from the villain's scheme not being big enough (I'd respectfully disagree), but his tone hardly suggested his feelings on the script were as negative as you remember. Maibaum occasionally complained about Roger Moore or John Glen, but I don't recall him having any harsh words for Wilson.
    Moral of the story - never let Bond go rogue - it always ends with a writers strike! :)

Bond also went rogue in Spectre, but no writer's strike occurred. A substandard movie did. Perhaps the real lesson is that certain plot gimmicks yield diminishing returns.