No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Bond 25 Production Diary: Panchito Pistoles wants a competent producer by late 2017
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of safe critical acclaimed success @Getafix. Just joking a little. :) You probably mean the reviews by the press?
    Looking at the current ratings on IMDB (6.8) and Rotten Tomatoes (63%) I would't say that is very successful. Not bad, but not great either. But the ratings have been higher at a earlier stage.

Just pointing out that it's become a bit of a stereotypical online echo chamber in here. The same (only occasionally substantiated) claims made endlessly to a chorus of uncritical agreement.

I don't mind the criticism of SP, it's the idea (now seemingly established as an alternative fact) that the film was an unmitigated disaster.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of safe critical acclaimed success @Getafix. Just joking a little. :) You probably mean the reviews by the press?
    Looking at the current ratings on IMDB (6.8) and Rotten Tomatoes (63%) I would't say that is very successful. Not bad, but not great either. But the ratings have been higher at a earlier stage.

Just pointing out that it's become a bit of a stereotypical online echo chamber in here. The same (only occasionally substantiated) claims made endlessly to a chorus of uncritical agreement.

I don't mind the criticism of SP, it's the idea (now seemingly established as an alternative fact) that the film was an unmitigated disaster.

When adjusted for inflation, Spectre comes out as the fourth most successful Bond film ever. @Getafix is quite right, commercially, to say Spectre was far from a disaster. Commercially it was very much a success.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    This is total and utter nonsense, that just gets repeated on here day after day without challenge. SP was rapturously reviewed in the UK and as I understand it in most markets outside the US. This is reflected in the fact that in many places SP did as well as SF. Only the US BO basically prevented it from being as big a smash as SF.

The fact a few fans on this site take a violent disliking to Brofeld (a sentiment I fully understand) does not mean the film was a critical failure.

I entirely agree SP was not as well reviewed (anywhere) as SF, but you're comparing to one of the most critically acclaimed entries in the series. SP was very, very successful. Both critically and at the BO.

Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

not sure who is calling it a 'critical failure'... i know i didn't... but the fact are the facts - it just wasn't as well received by critics, as much as CR and SF were - the numbers clearly indicate that.. and if you are basing your assertion that it was a rapturously critical success, because that suits your argument - fine, but thats gerrymandering the numbers.. it currently sits at a 63% on RT, an 6.8 on IMDB, and a Metacritic score of 60/100........ it was critically mediocre..
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Dennison wrote: »

When adjusted for inflation, Spectre comes out as the fourth most successful Bond film ever. @Getafix is quite right, commercially, to say Spectre was far from a disaster. Commercially it was very much a success.

Is that #4 in worldwide gross? If so, I didn’t realize it fared as well as that. For all its irritating flaws, Spectre is still a damn good Bond film up to the torture scene. And those flaws have not kept me from seeing the film at least 50 times over the past two years.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,031
    HASEROT wrote: »
    This is total and utter nonsense, that just gets repeated on here day after day without challenge. SP was rapturously reviewed in the UK and as I understand it in most markets outside the US. This is reflected in the fact that in many places SP did as well as SF. Only the US BO basically prevented it from being as big a smash as SF.

The fact a few fans on this site take a violent disliking to Brofeld (a sentiment I fully understand) does not mean the film was a critical failure.

I entirely agree SP was not as well reviewed (anywhere) as SF, but you're comparing to one of the most critically acclaimed entries in the series. SP was very, very successful. Both critically and at the BO.

Claiming otherwise is ridiculous.

not sure who is calling it a 'critical failure'... i know i didn't... but the fact are the facts - it just wasn't as well received by critics, as much as CR and SF were - the numbers clearly indicate that.. and if you are basing your assertion that it was a rapturously critical success, because that suits your argument - fine, but thats gerrymandering the numbers.. it currently sits at a 63% on RT, an 6.8 on IMDB, and a Metacritic score of 60/100........ it was critically mediocre..

At the time of its release UK critics were pretty unanimously positive about it. It was the US critics who were more lukewarm to the film.

Below are some of the VERY enthusiastic UK reviews at time of the film's release

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/21/spectre-review-james-bond-is-back-stylish-camp-and-sexily-pro-snowden

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/25/spectre-review-another-stellar-outing-for-bond-mark-kermode

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/james-bond-spectre/review/

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/spectre-film-review-an-exhilarating-james-bond-spectacle-that-really-didn-t-need-to-add-depth-a6703591.html

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/spectre/review/
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---

IMO... not an unmitigated disaster - i like it... but it had it's problems that hold it back.. it very well had the potential to be better than SF, and be considered in that top upper echelon of Bond films - it ticked a lot of the Bond boxes that i want in a Bond movie... but it felt about 15-20 minutes too long, a tacked on 2nd ending that should've been condensed into a better finale, was a thematic rehash of SF (almost step for step).. the whole i trust you, i don't trust you crap between M and Bond is getting really old.. had a completely superfluous villain (C), and a pointless plot device that only serves to weaken the main villain, than add meaningful context.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I have had a gut feeling for a while it will be Kathryn Bigelow (Mrs James Cameron) Zero Dark Thirty / Detroit. Annapurna distributed those films domestically as well.

This was a bit out of the blue from Babs back in September https://www.avclub.com/bond-25-producer-barbara-broccoli-says-of-course-shed-1807473786
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,031
    I have had a gut feeling for a while it will be Kathryn Bigelow (Mrs James Cameron) Zero Dark Thirty / Detroit. Annapurna distributed those films domestically as well.

This was a bit out of the blue from Babs back in September https://www.avclub.com/bond-25-producer-barbara-broccoli-says-of-course-shed-1807473786

Well Bigelow has already turned them down once.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/kathryn-bigelow-was-asked-to-direct-a-james-bond-film-170803
  • Getafix wrote: »

Wise remark @Getafix :-). I wholeheartedly agree.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2017 Posts: 5,979
    echo wrote: »
    It's really unclear to me why Babs and MGW (1) didn't nix Stepbrothergate (2) didn't see the lack of chemistry between Craig and Seydoux in the casting process and (3) didn't complain about the reused score in the pretitles, for God's sake! Even on the rare occasion when Barry would reuse a track it was around 2/3 of the way through the film.

My guess? They ceded too much creative control to Craig and Mendes, which is why I'd prefer that that duo be split up for Bond 25.

i think they put a little too much faith / control into the hands of Mendes and Logan - seeing as how Mendes did helm the highest grossing Bond film in the history of the franchise, and Logan wrote it... i think they left them to their own devices for a little too long, and it resulted in an "average" entry IMO (some love it, some detest it - i feel like it's literally at best and worst, an average entry).....

in terms of lack of chemistry (i think a lot of people on this subject just parrot what others say without knowing what it truly means lol).."

No. I don't parrot anyone. And I don't see any chemistry between Craig and Seydoux.

For many years, Eon screen-tested the lead actors using the FRWL scene. I have no idea if they continue to do that (or if Seydoux is of a stature where she doesn't need to screen-test), but they should. Craig has more chemistry with White than Swann! (That's perhaps unfair, as I believe Christensen is one of the best actors ever to grace the series.)

In general, I find the casting of SP uninspired, particularly the so-obvious-it's-boring choice of Waltz. The good actors were the holdovers from previous films.

SP also has serious pacing issues. CR and OHMSS, while long, had compelling stories, beginning to end. SP didn't.

I'll be disappointed if Mendes gets a third shot.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    @TheWizardOfIce .... i meant hindsight on their end.. they obviously felt it was good - but perhaps after it's lukewarm reception they've had second thoughts?... Obviously no hindsight on our end, I never liked it from day 1 - and if i had any position of influence, i would've fought hard against it.. i think a lot of us here would have.

Anyone with only two cents worth of brain would have. Obviously there was no one around at EON and the production team.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I predict the next actor does 2.

Agreed. Craig and CR will be a tough act to follow.
    Earlier: where @TripAces says the buck stops with the producers (as responsible for the creative decisions that make it on screen): I believe it means the buck stops with the producers (they're responsible).
    And I totally agree.

Ah right having read it again I think you're correct. It was just with the general anti negativity theme of his post I got it into my head he was trying to defend them. But absolutely - I agree too. The shoddily written buck does indeed stop with them.

It's really unclear to me why Babs and MGW (1) didn't nix Stepbrothergate (2) didn't see the lack of chemistry between Craig and Seydoux in the casting process and (3) didn't complain about the reused score in the pretitles, for God's sake! Even on the rare occasion when Barry would reuse a track it was around 2/3 of the way through the film.

My guess? They ceded too much creative control to Craig and Mendes, which is why I'd prefer that that duo be split up for Bond 25.

If any one from EON does ever check out these pages they will no doubt be having a good chuckle.

They've just had two of the most commercially successful entries in the series and every other post on here is saying how wrong they got it.

Indeed. A fan forum is worlds apart from the average viewer.

BTW, the average viewer sees it as boring, boring and boring.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162

Earlier: where @TripAces says the buck stops with the producers (as responsible for the creative decisions that make it on screen): I believe it means the buck stops with the producers (they're responsible).
    And I totally agree.

Ah right having read it again I think you're correct. It was just with the general anti negativity theme of his post I got it into my head he was trying to defend them. But absolutely - I agree too. The shoddily written buck does indeed stop with them.

If any one from EON does ever check out these pages they will no doubt be having a good chuckle.

They've just had two of the most commercially successful entries in the series and every other post on here is saying how wrong they got it.

True, but they must at least be wary of the fact SP's critical reception was average at best.

I entirely agree SP was not as well reviewed (anywhere) as SF, but you're comparing to one of the most critically acclaimed entries in the series. SP was very, very successful. Both critically and at the box office.

No it wasn't. Sure it made lots of money, but they have yet to produce a Bond flic that doesn't.
    But most of all, as I have related a few times before, I have yet to meet anyone who wasn't bored by that movie. And those are the friendly comments!
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Also, Craig himself said he want's to go out on a 'high', which suggest he thinks SP wasn't quite what he aimed for as his final outing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

And I totally agree.

DAD was commercially successful and look what happened - Devoid of any creative competence, the removal of their very popular leading man and a 4 year hiatus.

EoN aren't going to hear anything negative about SF. It was s huge critical and commercial success. SP OTOH was a messy joke. They F'd up in a very colossal and pronounced way. For all the goodwill and hard work CR re-established SO what all over it in the most careless and worse way possible. Urgh.
    Also, Craig himself said he want's to go out on a 'high', which suggest he thinks SP wasn't quite what he aimed for as his final outing.

I watched an interview the other day where he said a similar thing after Skyfall in making Spectre. I.e. wanting to top the last one - which is what Bond personnel say with every Bond film - so you might not be able to read too much into that.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 832
    doubleoego wrote: »

And I totally agree.

DAD was commercially successful and look what happened - Devoid of any creative competence, the removal of their very popular leading man and a 4 year hiatus.

EoN aren't going to hear anything negative about SF. It was s huge critical and commercial success. SP OTOH was a messy joke. They F'd up in a very colossal and pronounced way. For all the goodwill and hard work CR re-established SO what all over it in the most careless and worse way possible. Urgh.
    Have to agree. Sorry but I do consider SP a complete failure, one of 4 actually bad bond films. Sure there is a good film somewhere within it, some great scenes (pts, train fight, etc) but the film as a whole doesnt work. Its let down by bad pacing, unjustified drama, bad plot developments such as brothergate (notice that this isbt listed first), campiness, bad villain, and even disappointing action with a few exceptions. So yes I do consider SP to be a failure, contrary to some claims that one can't do so. I like sf by the way. Yes sp was commercially successful, relatively, but I don't care about commercial sucess except insofar as it influences the next film. Spectre did not deserve either its commercial or critical reception, and I hope bond 25 is more in the vein of cr and sf.
    Craig has more chemistry with White than Swann! (That's perhaps unfair, as I believe Christensen is one of the best actors ever to grace the series.)

again - thats easy chemistry, because as actors and characters, they 2 previous films together in the franchise (CR, QOS).. their characters had history with one another... when it came to Bond and Swann, they were trying to cram too much into too little... again, thats writing and pacing... but, if your saying it's more than that, it's their general acting off one another, then i think we'll have to just agree to disagree.. i've seen far worse chemistry between Bond and his leading lady than Craig and Seydoux - right off the bat, 3 come straight out of the Brosnan era.

You don't have to say "Mrs. James Cameron" anymore (nor should ever have had to).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Craig has more chemistry with White than Swann! (That's perhaps unfair, as I believe Christensen is one of the best actors ever to grace the series.)

again - thats easy chemistry, because as actors and characters, they 2 previous films together in the franchise (CR, QOS).. their characters had history with one another... when it came to Bond and Swann, they were trying to cram too much into too little... again, thats writing and pacing... but, if your saying it's more than that, it's their general acting off one another, then i think we'll have to just agree to disagree.. i've seen far worse chemistry between Bond and his leading lady than Craig and Seydoux - right off the bat, 3 come straight out of the Brosnan era.

Okay, but what about the Craig era?
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    I would hope they would want a director by early 2018 if filming starts next year lmao..
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399

Okay, but what about the Craig era?

i haven't really seen "poor chemistry" in his era yet... i think the closest they got IMO towards poor chemistry, was with Olga in QOS - but their relationship wasn't meant to be a romantic one (sans that awkward kiss at the end), they had a more symbiotic relationship in that film... there wasn't enough time with Fields in QOS to establish any good or bad chemistry IMO, she was just "there"..

when i think of poor chemistry, i think of Broz and Halle Berry, or Broz and Denise Richards, or even Broz and Terri Hatcher.. the the acting talent between those 3 actresses couldn't fill a thimble... it was stunt casting.
  • You can't count Craig and Olga as poor chemistry. Rather, they had marvelous chemistry for what their characters were. Just see their banter in the DC-3 before the attack begins or when they're talking down in the sinkhole. The warmth in Craig's laughter or smile, the emotional vulnerability of Olga. I also didn't find anything awkward about their kiss at the end. They had just been through a great ordeal. Camille gives Bond a kiss of compassion, checks his eyes for his response, then leaves. They're professionals who have just been through a lot of personal grief and still are going through their individual griefs. They could have thrown themselves at one another in carnal abandon—and actually the film and their characters would have fully earned it—but that wasn't the right note for them to end on in their time together, nor was it the right note for what the film wanted to be.
    im not saying their chemistry wasn't fine.. on the spectrum of chemistry, for me, i would put them at the average range - which IMO, is about as low as it's gotten during Craig's run thus far.. i think he's had good chemistry with most of his female leads.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »

And I totally agree.

Have to agree. Sorry but I do consider SP a complete failure, one of 4 actually bad bond films. Sure there is a good film somewhere within it, some great scenes (pts, train fight, etc) but the film as a whole doesnt work. Its let down by bad pacing, unjustified drama, bad plot developments such as brothergate (notice that this isbt listed first), campiness, bad villain, and even disappointing action with a few exceptions. So yes I do consider SP to be a failure, contrary to some claims that one can't do so. I like sf by the way. Yes sp was commercially successful, relatively, but I don't care about commercial sucess except insofar as it influences the next film. Spectre did not deserve either its commercial or critical reception, and I hope bond 25 is more in the vein of cr and sf.

"Complete failure"? This is just hyperbole that undercuts any valid points you are making.

Also regarding the previous comment the idea SP is comparable to DAD is laughable.

It just underlines what I said previously which is that valid criticism of SP has turned into an echo chamber of alternative facts where SP is amongst the worst in the series and a total failure.

And I totally agree.

"Complete failure"? This is just hyperbole that undercuts any valid points you are making.

Also regarding the previous comment the idea SP is comparable to DAD is laughable.

It just underlines what I said previously which is that valid criticism of SP has turned into an echo chamber of alternative facts where SP is amongst the worst in the series and a total failure.

Exactly.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,619
    This is the kind of fun action scene I would love to see in Bond 25: https://i.imgur.com/o5uXBgJ.gifv (source: reddit)

And I totally agree.

"Also regarding the previous comment the idea SP is comparable to DAD is laughable."

It certainly is. Simply because DAD is so much better to watch. Say what you want about it( and you're probably true with much of it )but one thing it is not guilty off. It is not boring. It takes you on a ride from the first minute to the last without anyone ever getting dour in it. It also never pretends to be more than a Bond movie. Oh God, I miss these days!
    Let me also add that back in 2002 I met many that made jokes about that tsunami scene, but no one said it was a bad - let alone boring - movie. Just the opposite in fact. Everybody felt greatly entertained.
    Maybe that's more down to the company your keep, @noSolaceleft. Everyone I spoke to after seeing DAD said it was an awful movie. Was I bored watching it? I don't think that even comes into the equation as that all depends on one's own attention span. Some might find 2001: A Space Odyssey and Lawrence of Arabia boring, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're not great movies. On the flip-side, the first Transformers might not be considered boring but it's still a pile of steaming garbage, as is DAD.