The 2015 "Spy Craze" is ON...dear Bond laddies ;-)

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Uncle has two sexy women in it, and I'm going to see it for that reason, among others. Hopefully, some pimply faced kids also find that appealing and also come to the theatre :)

Yes I will say its great casting with Alicia Vikander who's having a breakout year
    UNCLE has one big advantage I think. It's A) a period piece. An action film set entirely in the 1960's. Which is unique among all spy films this year. B) it's a "buddy film", like Sherlock Holmes. People like this kind of difficult friendships surrounded by lots of funny situations. And C) it has got director Guy Ritchie. Don't underestimate that particular asset. It's a brand name, similar to Sam Mendes doing a Bond film.
    UNCLE has a few big advantages I think. It's A) a period piece. An action film set entirely in the 1960's. Which is unique among all spy films this year. B) it's a "buddy film", like Sherlock Holmes. People like this kind of difficult friendships surrounded by lots of funny situations. And C) it has got director Guy Ritchie. Don't underestimate that particular asset. It's a brand name, similar to Sam Mendes doing a Bond film.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Guys. Hold the presses. Here's a wunderful official international poster of "Spy". I just adore it!

SPY_MondoPoster.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Absolutely outstanding....

This is the kind of artwork we need from EON for SP!

At first I would have said: Yes, "SPECTRE" needs such artwork. But in all honesty, the current James Bond films....need a slightly more sleeker design I think. This kind of poster art works better nowadays for a comedy than for "SPECTRE". Especially since we know what kind of style we can expect, "SPECTRE" would look kind of cheesy if it adapts a similar kind of art.

I do think it would better on a black background for "SPECTRE". A bit like the TLD-poster.

At first I would have said: Yes, "SPECTRE" needs such artwork. But in all honesty, the current James Bond films....need a slightly more sleeker design I think. This kind of poster art works better nowadays for a comedy than for "SPECTRE". Especially since we know what kind of style we can expect, "SPECTRE" would look kind of cheesy if it adapts a similar kind of art.

I do think it would better on a black background for "SPECTRE". A bit like the TLD-poster.

You may be right. Unfortunately, Bond is being imitated by everyone these days, so they need to innovate. Sad, because I love these classic style posters....
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,455
    London Has Fallen is now 2016 movie, delayd from begin October 2015 till third weak of January 2016.
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37380/-london-has-fallen-delayed-two-months

Possible this mean that new Dutch release date wil be 21 January 2016. There is not much compitation yet with Joy, The Revenant and The 5th Wave . It is 3 weaks before Dead Pool (11 February) and almoost a month before Mechanic 2 (18 February). Olympas Hass Fallen did almoost 1,9 million with Dutch releae date in May 2013. Wolf Of Wallstreet who was released in second weak of January 2014 and was long whyle with almoost $ 8,2 million number one of 2014. Die Another Day did almoost 7,8 million with 09 January 2003 release date. The sequel of Olympas Hass fallen wil this time released by Entertainment One insteed of Dutch Film Works who releasing first movie in 2013 and Wolf Of Wallstreet.

The delay possible mean good news for The Transporter Refueled (NL: 10 September VS/UK: 04 September) and

FBI movie Black Mass (NL: 17 September 2015 VS/UK: 18 September BE: 07 october)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good to see Johnny Depp in a different kind of role. People have probbly forgotten he is a terrific actor.
    I was wondering if the upcoming biopic "Snowden" should also be included in this topic. Have a look at the IMDB-info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3774114/combined

Frontpage slightly with new trailers/posters
    Minions is up next.

Regarding U.N.C.L.E.; Though it's based on an old series, it is a new franchise to most people and has a lot of the 60's Bond style missing from the current 007 films. Solo and Kuryakin are very capable, engaging, intelligent and witty characters, the villain is one of the sexiest women on the planet, the music has 60's in your face feel to it, bongos please. Yes, there is no one shot in the trailer that screams "I must see this film" because you would have the same problem finding a shot like that in "Ipcress File" and that is one of the templets for this spy adventure.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Let's have a look at the box office takes of our beloved spy/action movies thus far :-). Just for the guys who dislike all these figures: Aah well, I kinda like it hehe:

1. --> $ 1,511,516,643: "Furious 7"
    $ 351,032,910: Box office USA
    $ 390,910,000: Box office China
    $ 769,573,733: Rest of the world

2. --> $ 403,774,024: "Kingsman: The Secret Service"
    $ 128,233,612: Box office USA
    $ 074,667,000: Box office China
    $ 200,873,412: Rest of the world

3. --> $ 325,771,424: "Taken 3"
    $ 089,256,424: Box office USA
    $ 032,200,000: Box office China
    $ 204,315,000: Rest of the world

4. --> $ 174,341,080: "Spy" (NEW RELEASE: 3 weeks in release now since June 5th)
    $ 078,047,134: Box office USA
    *not opened yet in China*
    $ 096,293,946: Rest of the world

5. --> $ 019,228,339: "Blackhat"
    $ 007,889,395: Box office USA
    $ 011,338,944: Rest of the world

6. --> $ 015,569,265: "The Gunman"
    $ 010,664,749: Box office USA
    $ 004,904,516: Rest of the world

MORE NEWS:

The new Lionsgate spy thriller "Survivor", with Pierce Brosnan as bad guy assassin and Milla Jovovich as secret agent, gets already some reviews. And they are bad, really bad. At RottenTomatoes.com it gets a complete 'rotten' review of 8%. It's probably one of the reasons why the film has already gone straight-to-DVD/Blu-Ray in the USA. In Europe the film will only premiere very limited around November, but will probably be 'eaten alive' by James Bond. It's a bit sad to see Pierce Brosnan changing his career into a B-movie-actor. Let's hope we can see Mr Brosnan in much better movies again in the future, like he did in "The Matador" and "The Tailor Of Panama"
    Survivor_poster.jpg

This spy-related biopic however has been moved to 2015! It will be based on the books "The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World’s Most Wanted Man", by journalist Luke Harding and "Time of the Octopus", by Snowden’s lawyer Anatoly Kucherena.
    25.12.2015: "Snowden" (biography, espionage) --> directed by Oliver Stone, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Wilkinson, Melissa Leo & Zachary Quinto
    Snowden-Oliver-Stone.jpg

These movies have been moved to 2016:
    22.01.2015: "London Has Fallen" (action, thriller) --> with Morgan Freeman
    04.03.2016: "Grimsby" (spy spoof) --> with Sacha Baron Cohen, Mark Strong and Penélope Cruz (!)

Also in 2016, off courseee ;-) :
    29.07.2015: "The Bourne 5" (espionage, thriller) --> with Matt Damon as secret agent Jason Bourne
  • RC7RC7
    Didn't know F7 was a spy film.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Didn't know F7 was a spy film.

It's not exactly a spy film. Well, it isn't. But I think it deserves an extra mention, as being more of a 'bad ass' version of "Mission: Impossible". The team from "Furious 7" is most of the time also cooperating with the CIA as some kind of rogue team. And in the last three films, the plots have become distinctively Bond-esque, to such an extent that a clearly visible bad guy or villain's scheme has to be eleminated. These movies aren't anymore just gangsta car races, but have IMO evolved in something more. Bond references included (grand, luxury parties, tuxedos, exotoc locations).

I do understand your remark though hehe ;-).

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I have to agree, with my expectations incredibly high, Survivor was a major disappointment, wasting the talents of great actors and actresses due an underdeveloped script which hardly made sense.
    I have to agree, with my expectations incredibly high, Survivor was a major disappointment, wasting the talents of great actors and actresses due an underdeveloped script which hardly made sense.

That's really too bad about Survivor. I was looking forward to it and hoped it would be a hit as I'm a big fan of Jovovich and wanted to see Brosnan as a baddie (he was great as one in Shattered/Butterfly on a Wheel). I'll of course get it on Blu now that I know it's out.

That's really too bad about Survivor. I was looking forward to it and hoped it would be a hit as I'm a big fan of Jovovich and wanted to see Brosnan as a baddie (he was great as one in Shattered/Butterfly on a Wheel). I'll of course get it on Blu now that I know it's out.
    That makes two of us. Milla Jovovich is my favourite female action star, and when I heard she was going to co-star with Brosnan in a spy thriller two years ago, I couldn't have been any more the excited. The movie was released in limited theaters, and it happened to have hit at one of my local cinemas. Brosnan, I have to say, was the best and the only good thing in it. His character was a lot better and more the sinister than his earlier role as Valery Petrofsky in The Fourth Protocol. If you're just looking for a Brosnan vehicle, his scenes are more than worthy to watch, in which he is incredibly intense, menacing and sometimes frightening. The weakest point in the film was the leading character, but I won't spoil it more for you until you watch it. Have fun. :)

That makes two of us. Milla Jovovich is my favourite female action star, and when I heard she was going to co-star with Brosnan in a spy thriller two years ago, I couldn't have been any more the excited. The movie was released in limited theaters, and it happened to have hit at one of my local cinemas. Brosnan, I have to say, was the best and the only good thing in it. His character was a lot better and more the sinister than his earlier role as Valery Petrofsky in The Fourth Protocol. If you're just looking for a Brosnan vehicle, his scenes are more than worthy to watch, in which he is incredibly intense, menacing and sometimes frightening. The weakest point in the film was the leading character, but I won't spoil it more for you until you watch it. Have fun. :)

The thing is: I really believe in Pierce Brosnan as an actor. And I really think he can choose much better movies. Just watch the Golden Globe nominated "The Matador". Won-der-ful film. Here's the trailer:

The thing is: I really believe in Pierce Brosnan as an actor. And I really think he can choose much better movies. Just watch the Golden Globe nominated "The Matador". Won-der-ful film. Here's the trailer:

I agree, GG. Awkwardly, as of late, he's making contributions to films that are wasting his talents, and especially when he's a worthy name to headline a title, strangely enough he isn't considering to be part of a big-name franchise. I have been discussing the case with a friend, but it looks like Pierce isn't interested in being under a rather large spotlight. As of yet, however, I think he's still attached to The Expendables 4.
    edited June 2015 Posts: 4,455
    Dutch release date for Survivor is stil 2 July. DFW changed it couple of times. Biggest problem is the money of ticket.Besides big movies the movie be released on same day as 5 Flights Up, The Last Wolf and next weak (9 July) The Face of an Angel. Survivor not having named directer like November Man.

The Face of an Angel.

Both a journalist and a documentary filmmaker chase the story of a murder and its prime suspect.
    New trailers have been released for:

"The Transporter Refueled" (full theatrical trailer, opens September):

"Snowden" (teaser trailer, opens Christmas, spy-biopic):

"London Has Fallen" (teaser trailer, opens Christmas holidays):
    edited July 2015 Posts: 4,455
    On this moment credit for 2016, the directer of Taken (2008) wil direct a movie of Tm Wood his novel The Killer (Alternate name: The Hunter). Dutch title of the novel is ''De Jager'' translation of The Hunter. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4025956/

De setting remember me moost to The Transporter and Jack Reacher.
    1001004007524830.jpg
    Vergot James Bond, Vergot Jason Bourne, Vergot Jack Bauer, Meet Victor.

11238428.jpg1001004010717522.jpg

Not released in The Netherlands yet, but there already three other books. The Enemy (Thomas Crown meet Jack Reacher) , The Game and The Darkest Day.

9200000000828496.jpg

9200000009370336.jpg

9200000030850920.jpg

Funny is that directer who going to direct the first movie is quote on this example of fift novel.
    He uses inspirations from other films. I like this author already. :)

Might get one of these books for a good read. @M_Balje, have you read them? If so, are they any good?
    By the way, I forgot to post a little review about "Spy". And in all honesty? I liked it. Perhaps that's because it's not just a cheap Bond spoof. It's more of a spy/comedy/thriller that borrows at times gracefully from (mostly) the Daniel Craig era of films. Paul Feig's collaboration with Melissa McCarthy is as good as the previous hit "The Heat". It's a film with heart and soul....and plentiful 'theme' interwoven in the plot.

Because this film is truly dedicated to women (I think Dame Judi Dench really should have a role in the next "Spy"-film!).

Clumsy funny women: Melissa McCarthy starts off as a desk-bound, rather clumsy version of Tanner, who gives the instructions via headpiece to CIA-spy Bradley Fine. Fine is off course the ridiculously suave spy, reminiscent of the Moore films. But it's nice to see her slowly flourish into quite the spy....with balls....and a lot of "F$ck" :-P. One of her last lines is: "There are plenty talented people working in the basement", and it's very true.

Authoritarian women: Allison Janney plays the head of the CIA. As the female "M" of Langley based intelligence agency, she's belittling Susan Cooper a lot, but it's delightful to see how she's changing her attitude towards the end of the film.

Villainous women: British actress Rose Byrne is delightful as the leading villain of the film. You can describe her as a more foul-mouthed version of Elektra King, with a dash of Le Chiffre. Tom Ford, who has a busy year at dressing the people at "SPECTRE" as well, also did the costumes for "Spy". And especially Boyanov -Rose Byrne- looks delightful in her Tom Ford wardrobes, combined with her slightly over-the-top coiffure.

Henchwomen: One of the delights of this film is the fight sequence between Susan Cooper and henchwoman Lia (played by Nargis Fakhri). It's entirely set in a kitchen. And one actually starts to think that without great fighting skills you could still bring down a woman who masters kung-fu :-P. Just.....use all the pans. Very effective, tense but also funny scene.

Women assistants: A nice small role for Miranda Hart here, who also gets to do some nice action. But, her role is more of the female Felix Leiter. Another CIA-spy, played by Morena Baccarin, is mostly pretty wallpaper, though it's nice to see her reveal as double-spy and see her being killed off.

And that's all about the women of this film. All the men however, are deliberately portrayed as rather dumb organisms who think more with their balls, then with their heads. I just mentioned the Moore-esque spy Bradley Fine, but in a similar way the Craig-esque spy Rick Ford is equally funny, and perhaps even funnier. He just keeps showing off his roughness and grittyness, to such an extend that it really makes you laugh. Ford is deliciously played by Jason Statham I might say.....and don't be surprised we could see him in a future Bond film.

But most importantly, this movie stands out because the plot is, simply put, very good. It basically all makes sense. And the killings in the film don't feel laughable. They actually make the story move forward in a pleasant way. And off course Melissa McCarthy's lines help with that as well.

Combined with great locations (Bulgaria, Rome -I think many streets were also used in "SPECTRE"-, Hungary) great production design (Lovely to see Boyanev enter this dusty old factory room, where Susan is off course tied up and about to get tortured) and wonderful costumes (Thank you Tom Ford), this is a great spy/comedy/thriller that is another great stepping stone towards the big finale: "SPECTRE". And sorry, "Spy" is not just a stepping stone ;-).

By the way, I'm starting to think that these spy films are great marketing for "SPECTRE" ;-).
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 1,715
    Well, here is the 5 minute trailer from U.N.C.L.E. released at Comic Con.
    "The Man From UNCLE" was the 3rd most popular movie on the San Diego ComicCon. It was even more popular than "X-Men: Apocalypse", "Fantastic Four", "Maze Runner 2" and the animated film "Peanuts":

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/comic-con-which-films-tv-shows-got-biggest-buzz-data-1201538990/
    XVB3c1.jpg

I have a feeling that we have another surprise box office hit on our hands....And names like Henry Cavill and Guy Ritchie will help their fanbases to see this film (DC Comics fans included).
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Let's have a look at the box office takes of our beloved spy/action movies thus far :-) (July 16th):

1. --> $ 1,520,593,707 : "Furious 7" (They just passed "The Avengers" in the 'All Time Global Box Office Ranking'; now 3rd!)
    $ 351,032,910: Box office USA
    $ 390,910,000: Box office China
    $ 778,650,797: Rest of the world

2. --> $ 404,562,809: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (Fox biggest hit so far)
    $ 128,261,724: Box office USA
    $ 074,667,000: Box office China
    $ 201,634,085: Rest of the world

3. --> $ 328,130,237: "Taken 3" (Another hit for Fox)
    $ 089,256,424: Box office USA
    $ 032,200,000: Box office China
    $ 206,673,813: Rest of the world

4. --> $ 220,815,871: "Spy" (Has a very strong hold at the box office; due to good reviews? 3rd 'Spy' film of the year for Fox)
    $ 104,401,823: Box office USA
    $ 116,414,048: Rest of the world

5. --> $ 019,228,339: "Blackhat" (Suffered from bad reviews and poor marketing)
    $ 007,889,395: Box office USA
    $ 011,338,944: Rest of the world

6. --> $ 015,569,265: "The Gunman" (Even starpower of Sean Penn and Javier Bardem couldn't help this film. A flop)
    $ 010,664,749: Box office USA
    $ 004,904,516: Rest of the world
    Guys? I'm going mental. The "Spy Craze Virus" is now truly inside me :-S
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's EVERYWHERE!
    mrwhite.jpg