The 2015 "Spy Craze" is ON...dear Bond laddies ;-)

Comments

Murdock wrote: »
    It's EVERYWHERE!
    mrwhite.jpg

Hehehehe \m/
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Another action/spy film that slipped my mind, "Sicario":
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/combined

I will add some more info tomorrow....
    This film got raving reviews at the film festival in Cannes. It has Benicio Del Toro in it ("Licence To Kill") and cinematography is by "Skyfall"s Roger Deakins.
    It premieres nationwide in the US on September 25th.

And "No Escape" has Pierce Brosnan and Owen Wilson in it:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781922/combined

Film premieres August 26th nationwide in the US
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't think NO ESCAPE is a spy movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Gustav_Graves, I would exclude 'Sicario' from the 'action/spy' section, as well. It appears to be more of a dramatic thriller, especially with Villeneuve behind the camera.
    Regal Cinemas considers this to be the Year Of The Spy! Thanks to the movie the original UNCLE is getting some great coverage as well! Don't missing watching this fun look back at the original U.N.C.L.E. program!
    Yeah, these are not spy movies. Sicario is about the DEA taking on cartels, and No escape is...er, I don't know what the hell that is. If we're being this vague, you might as well put Steve Jobs on the list since that's about a cranky Q-like character and his gadgets.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Regal Cinemas considers this to be the Year Of The Spy! Thanks to the movie the original UNCLE is getting some great coverage as well! Don't missing watching this fun look back at the original U.N.C.L.E. program!

This guy is funny ;-). It's the nice thing about YouTube. You see there's some real talent in the field of presenting :-). Great intro to "The Man From UNCLE"!!
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 11,119
    11705162_484211231747269_4389648895376334779_n.jpg?oh=a8ee1d6fbd9a6ef4b010bb6d964320b7&oe=5642D19E

I am thinking about Maurice Binder's main title design for "Doctor No" now :-?
    Aaaawh, a wonderful blog by Bill Koenig from "The Spy Command":

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/2015-a-great-time-to-be-a-spy-fan/
    delfloria wrote: »

Uhm, Warner Brothers completely embraced this new film huh ;-). Like Paramount ("Mission: Impossible"), 20th Century Fox ("Kingsman") and Sony/MGM ("James Bond 007").....also Warner now feels the need for their own spy franchise.
    And a completely off the wall new trailer for UNCLE.
    Awesome little trailer :-D! Love the cheesy music, combined with Marvel-esque end title design in it. Lovely!
    "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" premieres tomorrow, so RottenTomatoes decided to post a nice feature, called "The 24 Most Destructive Movie Spies":

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/gallery/24-most-destructive-spies/
    I was checking some opening weekends of this year's non-3D, non-sci-fi, life-action/spy movies:

$ 039,201,657: "Taken 3" (current global gross: $325,771,424)
    $ 036,206,331: "Kingsman The Secret Service" (current global gross: $406,737,128)
    $ 005,028,702: "The Gunman" (current global gross: $015,569,265)
    $ 147,187,040: "Furious 7" (current global gross: $1,512,966,527)
    $ 029,085,719: "Spy" (current global gross: $232,449,000)
    $ 056,000,000: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" (current global gross: $121,000,000)

Having analized these figures a bit, I especially think "Kingsman" did very very good work at the box office, given the fact that it's an original movie, not a sequel. "Furious 7", well we know why that films grossed that amount.

Still, I find a $56 Million opening weekend a bit....soft for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation". I was expecting around $65 Million to be honest. And it could have been done. Obviously, it will have good holdover in the upcoming weeks, but I think it would have helped if the publicity/promotion machine for the 5th "M:I"-film kicked off earlier. Let's say, late 2014.

Now the awareness for the film was created relatively late, around March with a first trailer. Whereas "SPECTRE" already did the same, by also premiering their first trailer in March. Obviously the premiere date change shook and stirred the publicity machine a bit....in a negative way.

Let's hope it will outgross "Ghost Protocol" in China! Go Tom ;-)!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Gustav_Graves

It doesn't really have to outgross GP, anything over 600 million will be considered a great success and it would mean that RN will end up No 5 movie worldwide and very certainly finish in the Top 10 of this year.

I'm not so fond of franchises suddenly doing insane amounts of money like Furious or JP or James Bond. If MI would do a billion it would hurt the franchise.

Because it can only go down and that would be viewed as failure.
    My greatest fear is that Spectre will do "only" 800 million. Of course it would be a great success financially but in the media and public it would always be considered a "failure".

For JP and Furious for example it can only go down and probably a lot down.
    @Gustav_Graves

It doesn't really have to outgross GP, anything over 600 million will be considered a great success and it would mean that RN will end up No 5 movie worldwide and very certainly finish in the Top 10 of this year.

I'm not so fond of franchises suddenly doing insane amounts of money like Furious or JP or James Bond. If MI would do a billion it would hurt the franchise.

Because it can only go down and that would be viewed as failure.
    My greatest fear is that Spectre will do "only" 800 million. Of course it would be a great success financially but in the media and public it would always be considered a "failure".

For JP and Furious for example it can only go down and probably a lot down.

I think you're too hard on SP and too soft on RN. Let's face it: Every sequel grossing less than its predecessor is considered a 'disappointment'.

"Ghost Protocol" grossed worldwide $ 694 Million. So like James Bond, also "Rogue Nation" wants to do better. I'm convinced "RN" can soar past the $ 750 Million, thanks to strong goodwill for the franchise in China.

Same goes for "SPECTRE". "Skyfall" grossed $ 1.1 Billion globally. The promo-campaign is quite stronger as compared to "RN", creating it's first awareness already in December 2014, marching towards an unprecedented March trailer premiere.

Now a 1 Billion figure is a slightly more unpredictable figure than a figure below $ 800 Million. But taking all circumstances into account, "SPECTRE" will eventually soar past the $ 1.2 Billion.

By the way: Saying that "SPECTRE" will stop grossing around $ 800 Million is like saying "Rogue Nation" will stop grossing around $ 450 Million. And both scenarios are unlikely to happen.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @gustav_graves

I sure hope you are right. I'm probably a bit pessimistic out of fear. I so love the James Bond franchise.

But it's comforting when you sound so optimistic. After all you seem to know what you're talking about =D>
    @gustav_graves

I sure hope you are right. I'm probably a bit pessimistic out of fear. I so love the James Bond franchise.

But it's comforting when you sound so optimistic. After all you seem to know what you're talking about =D>

I know you a bit ;-). You were quite disappointed in "Skyfall" and perhaps also the other outings of Daniel Craig. Because of that you start lowering your expectations. In my case it's the other way around. So perhaps staying critical but 'neutral' is quite valid for a franchise like James Bond. 3 months are still a long way from now.
    In the old days we didn't care at all what the films made, we were just happy that they got made.
    I was just checking the Fandango ticket sales page and they gave UNCLE a 5 Star rating................................................... Mission Impossible got 4.5 stars.
    With these original, non-sequel movies, box office predictions will be very difficult. Early tracking has an opening weekend for "UNCLE" of $20 Million, which is very soft/disappointing, considering "Kingsman"s opening weekend of $36 Million..

But early tracking, like we saw with "Mission: Impossible" is prone to big mistakes. "Rogue Nation" had an early tracking opening weekend of $40 Million: It eventually resulted in a good though still not spectacular $55 Million.

Having said all this, and looking at the near-perfect promo-campaign (huge Comic Con exposure. Even here in Spain on Neox-Channel I keep seeing "UNCLE"-TV-spots) and the starpower of actor Henry Cavill and director Guy Ritchie, I expect an opening weekend for "UNCLE" between $36 Million and $42 Million. It could even eat a small chunk of "Rogue Nation"s box office.

• RC7RC7
    the starpower of actor Henry Cavill and director Guy Ritchie

Do they offer that? A woman I was working with yesterday described it as, 'that film with two handsome men in it'. Certainly nowhere near Cruise level star power and Guy Ritchie is not a top tier director. I think the film will have to get great word of mouth as I don't think either of these have the pulling power to get people into cinemas.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Yeah Cavill doesn't have star power. I read somewhere that he's a male version of Mega Fox which I agree with to a limited extent.
    A sample of the reviews.
    Another great article about "The Year Of The Spy", or "The second golden age of spy agency acronyms" as Hollywood Reporter calls it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/man-uncle-heralds-return-spy-813989
    talos7 wrote: »

You know @talos7, when I created this topic last year I did anticipate this a bit. This "Spy Craze" as I call it. And it isn't by far 1966. But sjee, I'm really surprised about all those articles about....spies :-P. I like them though hehe.