The 2015 "Spy Craze" is ON...dear Bond laddies ;-)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    To break even is considered a flop too.
    Spectre will break one record though, it will shatter Avengers AOU in terms of highest budget ever.

Not likely. "SPECTRE"s leaked production budget is -all-inclusive- around $300 to $320 Million, which falls short of "Avengers 2"s $340 Million.

Also, let's wait a bit if adjustments are being made. These are estimations.

So it does make this better if Spectre will only be the second most expensive movie ever??
    To break even is considered a flop too.
    Spectre will break one record though, it will shatter Avengers AOU in terms of highest budget ever.

Not likely. "SPECTRE"s leaked production budget is -all-inclusive- around $300 to $320 Million, which falls short of "Avengers 2"s $340 Million.

Also, let's wait a bit if adjustments are being made. These are estimations.

So it does make this better if Spectre will only be the second most expensive movie ever??

Valid question really. And off course it doesn't necessarily make the movie better. But an equally valid question is this:

So does it make "SPECTRE" worse if it will only be the 2nd most expensive movie ever?
    Answer: Also "No".
    Bond postproductions are traditionally very spendy due to compressed schedules, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a bump-up on SPECTRE's numbers, unless Sony actually wised up and took this into account under 'variables.'

Hey, it IS possible -- by Woody Allen's third or fourth movie, UA started budgeting in just for reshoots, KNOWING they were going to happen no matter how well the film turned out. Then again, that was an extremely filmmaker-friendly company (which was probably its undoing if you consider HEAVEN'S GATE.)
    United Artists really kicked off the Bond films. People underestimate the influence of Pricker and United Artists. They were indeed very friendly...creatively. If UA didn't greenlit "Doctor No", then we wouldn't have had Bond films nowadays.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2015 Posts: 11,139
    And here we have it, Vin Diesel starts shooting the 3rd xXx movie later this year.

http://m.imdb.com/news/ni58930518?ref_=m_hm_nw_uk_tp_sm
    United Artists really kicked off the Bond films. People underestimate the influence of Pricker and United Artists. They were indeed very friendly...creatively. If UA didn't greenlit "Doctor No", then we wouldn't have had Bond films nowadays.

Don't know if I brought it up here or not, but if Picker hadn't been supplanted by Eisner at Paramount, we'd've probably gotten a better and wholly different STAR TREK film, in 78 instead of 79, by Phil Kaufman. The guy had a go-project with Kaufman, plus Ken Adam, Derek Meddings and Jordan FREAKING Belson doing opticals ... and it got cancelled the same month STAR WARS came otu.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/xxx-sequel-vin-diesel/

It's happening: The 3rd "xXx"-film is in pre-production now. I always found it funny that they were using Anya Amasova's codename for this film. But perhaps Sony also indirectly gives away that they will most likely lose the Bond franchise and that they have to dust up this spy-franchise :-).
    xXx was too good an idea to totally abandon it.
    The second movie though, shouldn't have been made.
    But xXx can survive this anyway, as Fast & Furious has survived the third movie.

I absolutely love xXx and it still is one of my favourite action/comedy movies of all time.
    To watch xXx and Die Another Day as a double-feature is an absolute treat!
    They go well together.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Has anyone seen this spy-esque spoof of "Ocean's 11" vs. "The Saint"?

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Mortdecai is far more a detective. Still, missed the film, as it showed only for about a week or two as far as I can remember. Read one of the books and wanted to see the film badly.
    Mortdecai is far more a detective. Still, missed the film, as it showed only for about a week or two as far as I can remember. Read one of the books and wanted to see the film badly.

Doesn't a spy do a lot of detective-esque work and vice versa?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Doesn't a spy do a lot of detective-esque work and vice versa?

true, but it's a different ballgame, as detectives follow the law, and spies break the law.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd like to think Mortdecai is a combination of both, and not only submitted into one genre. I've enjoyed the film, but sadly, tastes between people aren't sophisticated to enjoy a piece of good work, these days.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    A lovely article from DenOfGeek: "The Top 25 Secret Agents In Films". Enjoy ;-):
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/secret-agents/36738/the-top-25-secret-agents-in-film

By the way, DenOfGeek also mentions "American Ultra" as a nice spy action/comedy in this article. Currently it's doing even worse than "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." at the box office, but I should not have forgotten the film. It deserves to be mentioned in this topic. "American Ultra" features Jesse Eisenberg as the 'Most Stoned Cold Secret Agent' :-P. Here you can watch the trailer:

• edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I'm getting a bit tired now. Another spy movie premieres this weekend here in Spain (:|. It's a Spanish language film, that is as violent as the recent Tarantino films and Matthew Vaughn's "Kingsman". The movie is produced/distributed by Warner Brothers España and is called:

"Anacleto: Agente Secreto"

39557.jpg
    Quim-teaser-Anacleto-baja.jpg
    Anacleto-Agente-secreto_poster_goldposter_com_2.jpg

Just some background information on the characters, as it is a comic book adaptation of the Spanish comic book author Manuel Vázquez Gallego. Vázquez created the character Anacleto in, not surprisingly, 1964, during the all-time-high of the spy craze.

In the new film the main character is now much older and a dad. He still is a completely stupid spy who always has bad luck. For example, after successfully transporting a nuclear bomb to HQ, there is a fly on it. When he touches the bomb in order to kill the fly, it explodes. In the first movie adaptation the aged Anacleto is played by Spanish actor Imanol Arias. His son is played by Spanish actor Quim Gutiérrez.

This film might interest my Spanish friend @ggl007 ;-)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks, @Gustav_Graves! Perhaps I should have warned you that Anacleto was a comic that was based on Get Smart! more than Bond! :))

Anyway, I'll try to see it, maybe there is too much only-for-Spanish humour!

No doubt you weren't expecting this when you started this thread ;) :D
  • ggl007 wrote: »
    Thanks, @Gustav_Graves! Perhaps I should have warned you that Anacleto was a comic that was based on Get Smart! more than Bond! :))

I'm curious Gonzalo, have you seen all of the....spy films this year so far :-)?

In all honesty, I thought "U.N.C.L.E." and "Kingsman" were the most interesting ones. Perhaps I liked those slightly more than "Mission: Impossible 5".
  • RC7RC7
    I enjoyed Kingsman very much, but still prefer the comic. I really wish they'd tried to adapt it more faithfully, but it's clearly skewed to allow for sequel. Which is a shame, because it won't get many.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Kingsman very much, but still prefer the comic. I really wish they'd tried to adapt it more faithfully, but it's clearly skewed to allow for sequel. Which is a shame, because it won't get many.

I think.....in hindsight....from all spy movies so far "Kingsman" really felt the most fresh spy film. For an original film, it really did tremendous stuff at the box office. And I do think Fox could have a beloved franchise on their hands.

Brings me to another question for you @RC7: Could EON Productions be interested in adapting the upcoming Dynamite James Bond comic books?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

I think.....in hindsight....from all spy movies so far "Kingsman" really felt the most fresh spy film. For an original film, it really did tremendous stuff at the box office. And I do think Fox could have a beloved franchise on their hands.

Brings me to another question for you @RC7: Could EON Productions be interested in adapting the upcoming Dynamite James Bond comic books?

No, but EON will produce a non-Bond film in the next few years.

Michael Wilson has indeed said in the recent past that he was interested in doing another kind of movie production besides Bond. But.....what recent news makes you think that will happen?
  • RC7RC7

Michael Wilson has indeed said in the recent past that he was interested in doing another kind of movie production besides Bond. But.....what recent news makes you think that will happen?

It's confidential. It's likely we'll see something, although this business changes by the day, so you never know.
    MGW wants to do other movies????????
    When he (they) can barely make a Bond movie in a reasonable period of time!!

It's confidential. It's likely we'll see something, although this business changes by the day, so you never know.

I think Barbara Broccoli already co-produced a non-Bond film recently. A film related to Ireland, a period piece. But I can't remember which film that was. She also co-produced the "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" musical just a few years ago.

But if you say "it's confidential" that Barbara and Michael will produce a new non-Bond-production in the near future, than that really interests me. Do you have any sources?

Personally, I wouldn't mind it. Compared to @BondJasonBond006 I am perfectly happy with longer, 3-year gaps between Bond films. Never understood the fuzz about it....
    @Gustav_Graves

I actually could live with a Bond movie regularly every 3 years.
    But then EON has to have a long-term plan for 4 movies for the same actor within one decade and stick to it. And not connect the movies, they must be stand-alone.

Cast a 35 year old and he'll be 44 when he's done. That would be perfect.

Sadly all this is wishful thinking. BB + MGW will never plan ahead they are simply not capable of it. Not one Bond actor-era has been such a mess production wise like the current one.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote: »

I'm curious Gonzalo, have you seen all of the....spy films this year so far :-)?
    Only four from your list on page 1: Taken 3, Spy, Kingsman and M:I.

My favourite so far is The Americans!!
    :-O :D
  • MGW wants to do other movies????????
    When he (they) can barely make a Bond movie in a reasonable period of time!!

Over the past several years, three have been announced, though not made: A Chitty Chitty Bang Bang remake, something called Remote Control and an Edward Snowden movie.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/26/quick-recap-of-eon-non-007-projects/

Just seen The Transporter Refueled.

Wow, I liked that one, much more than Hitman or UNCLE.

Simple, spectacular fun and action and fighting scenes.

Ed Skrein is marvelous and he sure looks and acts a lot like James Bond in that movie.
    Born 1983 he'd be the perfect age to succeed Craig.
    But UNCLE was never an action vehicle, so I think that's comparing apples to oranges.
    delfloria wrote: »
    But UNCLE was never an action vehicle, so I think that's comparing apples to oranges.

I didn't say they were alike. Just stated I like Transporter much better.
    All three movies I mentioned are in this Spy thread, that's why I made the statement.