The 2015 "Spy Craze" is ON...dear Bond laddies ;-)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Exemplifies how risk averse studios are.
    RC7 wrote: »

What do you mean exactly?
  • RC7RC7

Skyfall is a huge success so every studio wants to pump out a spy movie, now that SF has adequately covered their arses.

Skyfall is a huge success so every studio wants to pump out a spy movie, now that SF has adequately covered their arses.

That's true. But partially it's also a bit luck (because of the schedules) that this year has so many spy films :-).

Did you read this article by the way @RC7? https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/02/the-hunt-for-bond-mi-connections-to-007/

I'm curious how you will be watching the premiere of "SPECTRE". With your wife? Some buddies from MI6community? In black tie at the Royal Albert Hall? Or in IMAX?
  • RC7RC7

That's true. But partially it's also a bit luck (because of the schedules) that this year has so many spy films :-).

Did you read this article by the way @RC7? https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/02/the-hunt-for-bond-mi-connections-to-007/

I'm curious how you will be watching the premiere of "SPECTRE". With your wife? Some buddies from MI6community? In black tie at the Royal Albert Hall? Or in IMAX?

It's not surprising, but still disappointing that studios don't go out on a limb every so often. It's more and more predictable with time.

I saw SF at the Albert Hall, obviously I wouldn't mind doing that again with SP. The word has gone out to industry friends, so I'll wait and see if anyone comes up trumps. Otherwise I'll be doing what I usually do and watching it three times on opening day. First showing, second showing, a break for food and then a final evening showing. I'll be watching at the BFI IMAX.

It's not surprising, but still disappointing that studios don't go out on a limb every so often. It's more and more predictable with time.

I saw SF at the Albert Hall, obviously I wouldn't mind doing that again with SP. The word has gone out to industry friends, so I'll wait and see if anyone comes up trumps. Otherwise I'll be doing what I usually do and watching it three times on opening day. First showing, second showing, a break for food and then a final evening showing. I'll be watching at the BFI IMAX.

THREE times on one day. You are a nerd @RC7 hehe :-P. Also one IMAX-showing?
  • RC7RC7

THREE times on one day. You are a nerd @RC7 hehe :-P. Also one IMAX-showing?

No, all three IMAX.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Three IMAX viewings in one day? You're taking me, @RC7, correct?
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,512
    Creasy47 wrote: »

If you're in the UK, you're welcome to come along!

1CCTLaD.jpg

These are my SF tickets from opening day. They're in a picture frame now, alongside my Premiere ticket and booklet.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

If you're in the UK, you're welcome to come along!

1CCTLaD.jpg

These are my SF tickets from opening day. They're in a picture frame now, alongside my Premiere ticket and booklet.

It's really nice man :). Sadly, Barcelona is low on IMAX-screens. As a matter of fact, it doesn't have IMAX screens :-(
    That's awesome. I'd love to be in the UK for the premiere (two weeks early - can't complain with that), but I'm stuck in lowly WV here in the States waiting until November.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

1CCTLaD.jpg

17.50 POUNDS!!!! PER TICKET !!! :-O :-O

THAT'S 25 FRACKING EURO!!!!!

No wonder Skyfall made a billion!!!! Doesn't take much with such prices!!!!

:))
    Ufff, I am perspiring. This certainly is quite a busy spy year #:-S

:-P.
    How that got anything other than a 0/10 is beyond me. The trailers speak for themselves: bad editing, bad acting, bad CGI, and a total, complete lack of staying loyal to the games. He's not even bald like Agent 47 should be, his head is obviously shaved.
    Suddenly "UNCLE" looks like a masterpiece next to "Hitman 47" :-P
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hitman isn't a Spy movie. It's about a Clone Assassin who goes around the world killing people. He's not even a spy.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Hitman isn't a Spy movie. It's about a Clone Assassin who goes around the world killing people. He's not even a spy.

It is an action movie, with some action elements that also go with spy movies. Just read the opening post. So it's in the mix.

It is an action movie, with some action elements that also go with spy movies. Just read the opening post. So it's in the mix.

That doesn't make any sense.
    I wouldn't consider 'Furious 7,' 'Hitman: Agent 47,' and 'The Transporter Refueled' to be spy films.

The list on the 1st page says "Spy/Action Movies of 2015". Moreover, spy films are merely a sub-genre of action blockbusters and thriller blockbusters.

All the films in my list are carefully selected. And based on what I know of them, they have similarities with spy movies. In "Furious 7" there's this unnamed CÍA chief who is very much like Hurley in "Mission: Impossible", 'M' in James Bond and Waverly in "U.N.C.L.E.".

Anyway, the list will stay like this.

The list on the 1st page says "Spy/Action Movies of 2015". Moreover, spy films are merely a sub-genre of action blockbusters and thriller blockbusters.

All the films in my list are carefully selected. And based on what I know of them, they have similarities with spy movies. In "Furious 7" there's this unnamed CÍA chief who is very much like Hurley in "Mission: Impossible", 'M' in James Bond and Waverly in "U.N.C.L.E.".

Anyway, the list will stay like this.

Whatever you say but this is a "Spy" Craze thread as you call it. Not Spy/Action craze thread. Hitman isn't a Spy movie, nor is Furious 7.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,514
    I understand that they're action movies, I just think it's a stretch to consider some of them spy movies based on some random character who appears for a portion of the movie. I don't think anyone would consider something like 'Furious 7' a 'spy' film if you asked them. But, your list, you shape it how you'd like!

I'm still waiting for the ultimate (hopefully) spy movie of the year: SP!
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, some very liberal definitions of 'spy' on here.

Yeah great no ;-)?

Anyway, here's a nice article about the strong women of this year's spy films. And "SPECTRE" is yet to come ;-):

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/08/spy-movies-women
  • RC7RC7

Yeah great no ;-)?

No. Pointless.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Let's have a look at the top grossing blockbusters of this year so far :-) (Monday August 24th 2015):

01. --> $ 1,622,867,980: "Jurassic World" (Production budget: $ 215 Million. Now the highest grossing film of 2015, 3rd highest grossing film ever)??)
    $ 639,568,000: Box office USA
    $ 228,740,000: Box office China
    $ 754,559,980: Rest of the world

02. --> $ 1,512,966,527: "Furious 7" (Production budget: $ 275 Million. They just passed "The Avengers" in The 5th highest grossing film on the 'All Time Global Box Office Ranking'.)
    $ 351,032,910: Box office USA
    $ 390,910,000: Box office China
    $ 771,023,617: Rest of the world

03. --> $ 1,401,213,387: "Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron" (Production budget: $ 340 Million. Now the 6th film in the global 'All Time' ranking!)
    $ 457,413,387: Box office USA
    $ 240,110,000: Box office China
    $ 703,690,000: Rest of the world

04. --> $ 0,989,365,325: "Minions" (Production budget: $ 150 Million. Passed "Despicable Me 2"s global box office of $ 970 Million. Now certified 4th '1 Billion Dollar' film of 2015 )
    $ 319,965,325: Box office USA
    *not opened yet in China*
    $ 669,400,000: Rest of the world

And let's not forget the "Spy Films" of 2015! Now with updated figures on "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." and "M:I 5 - Rogue Nation":

09. --> $ 438,563,039: "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" (Production budget: $ 200 Million. So far slightly less succesful than "M:I 4 - Ghost Protocol", at least in the USA. But that will change with China)
    $ 157,763,039: Box office USA
    $ 280,800,000: Rest of the world

10. --> $ 406,794,884: "Kingsman: The Secret Service" (Production budget: $ 115 Million. The surprise box office hit of 2015. Part 2 is in pre-production)
    $ 128,261,724: Box office USA
    $ 074,667,000: Box office China
    $ 203,866,160: Rest of the world

15. --> $ 328,130,237: "Taken 3" (Production budget: $ 83 Million. Not as succesful as "Taken 2", but still grossing well past the $ 300 Million)
    $ 089,256,424: Box office USA
    $ 032,200,000: Box office China
    $ 206,673,813: Rest of the world

20. --> $ 234,873,121: "Spy" (Production budget: $ 100 Million. As of now the most succesful film ever featuring Melissa McCarthy)
    $ 110,141,000: Box office USA
    $ 124,732,121: Rest of the world

47. --> $ 052,636,840: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." (Production budget: $ 120 Million. Too early to call it a flop, as the foreign roll-out is just taking place)
    $ 026,636,840 : Box office USA
    $ 026,000,000: Rest of the world

62. --> $ 030,418,560: "Mortdecai" (Production budget: $ 85 Million. Call it a funnier spoof of "Ocean's Eleven" and "The Saint". But, a big flop)
    $ 007,696,134 : Box office USA
    $ 003,530,000: Box office China
    $ 019,192,426: Rest of the world

69. --> $ 019,228,339: "Blackhat" (Production budget: $ 100 Million. And therefore one of the biggest flops of 2015. Entire budget is lost)
    $ 007,889,395: Box office USA
    $ 011,338,944: Rest of the world

81. --> $ 015,569,265: "The Gunman" (Production budget: $ 60 Million. Even a star cast containing Sean Penn, Javier Bardem and Idris Elba couldn't help this film)
    $ 010,664,749: Box office USA
    $ 004,904,516: Rest of the world

An impressive box office year indeed. "JW" crossed the $1.6 Billion, "F7" (non-3D, non-Sci-fi) crossed the $1.5 Billion and "Avengers 2" crossed the $1.4 Billion. With "Minions" already certified to cross the $1.0 Billion, it becomes very likely that "SPECTRE" will enter the TOP 5 of highest grossing films of 2015. And "Star Wars" still needs to shatter all the above box office figures.

THE 'SPY FILMS' OF 2015
    "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation" is still holding very well in the USA, but it's not holding as strong as "Mission: Impossible 2" and "Mission: Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol". Same goes for the foreign territories. So it will depend on the China box office take if it can cross the $ 700 Million global figure of "GP". Also with ticket price inflation, "RN" isn't as succesful in the USA as compared to "Mission: Impossible 1" and "Mission: Impossible 2".......so far.

The definition of 'flop' is rather big, but I personally think if a movie loses money -entire production is higher than global box office take- it's a certified financial flop. By that definition "Mortdecai", "Blackhat" and "The Gunman" are big flops, but "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." is not......yet. It could do a break-even figure, taking into account the production budget and the foreign roll-out. It's holdover after one week has been OK in the USA.

PRODUCTION BUDGETS 2015
    The production budget figures are more accurate estimates from boxoffice.com, but they do include marketing and publicity as well. Disney's "Avengers 2" has so far the highest production budget ever, with $340 Million, followed by "Furious 7"s $ 275 Million.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    To break even is considered a flop too.
    Spectre will break one record though, it will shatter Avengers AOU in terms of highest budget ever.
    Spectre will break one record though, it will shatter Avengers AOU in terms of highest budget ever.

Not likely. "SPECTRE"s leaked production budget is -all-inclusive- around $300 to $320 Million, which falls short of "Avengers 2"s $340 Million.

Also, let's wait a bit if adjustments are being made. These are estimations.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Your "facts" need checking and amending.