The 2015 "Spy Craze" is ON...dear Bond laddies ;-)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Exactly. Just because it's a spy movie doesn't mean it's worth my money.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That theme song above sounds like a rejected Brosnan era Bond theme.

Anyway, the film looks like fun and I'll definitely check it out at the cinema.
    Sjee, what a negative reactions. Did someone in here read some....reviews?
    Sjee, what a negative reactions. Did someone in here read some....reviews?

Reviews and other people can tell me its hilarious and hysterical all they want, but I've seen the trailer(s) several times in theaters and I didn't laugh once. A fat woman falling over several times is just something that's not funny to me.

Me, I'm all about Ted 2. And I know there are a bunch of people who will tell me that's competely unfunny. That's comedy for you.
    Sure Ted 2 looks funny
    I liked the cinema trailers.

I'll watch Spy, but it will kill me to spend money on a Mel Macarthy film
    But Spy is also a Rose Byrne,looking real hot film, which means I have to see it.

And re Hammer. After his uber lame performance in Lone Ranger, I can't believe he still gets offers.
    Hope he doesn't screw up Kuryakin.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And who ever says I'll be watching Spy for Melissa McCarthy? There's Jason Statham being a comic relief parodying his own action-packed kind of roles in formal attire. Then, there's Rose Byrne with sassy and posh British English accent in the role of a villainess... Care to reconsider, gentlemen?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll see it when it hits my local library.
    What's interesting is that so many people here have a negative approach to most everything they have not seen yet. SPY was not on my radar but then I saw a screening of it and thought they had done a terrific job with it. I enjoyed Kingsman for it's outrageous send up of Bond and Flint. Having seen "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." it too delivered the goods as a dyed in the wool spy thriller from 1966. (Hammer's version of Kuryakin more than makes up for Lone Ranger.) The MI5 trailer looks promising and with the money they are throwing at SPECTRE, that too may have a chance at delivering the goods as well, especially if they don't screw up Blofeld. All in all the quality of the spy films this year may well set a standard that will be hard to ever beat again.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well said, sir!
    delfloria wrote: »
    What's interesting is that so many people here have a negative approach to most everything they have not seen yet. SPY was not on my radar but then I saw a screening of it and thought they had done a terrific job with it. I enjoyed Kingsman for it's outrageous send up of Bond and Flint. Having seen "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." it too delivered the goods as a dyed in the wool spy thriller from 1966. (Hammer's version of Kuryakin more than makes up for Lone Ranger.) The MI5 trailer looks promising and with the money they are throwing at SPECTRE, that too may have a chance at delivering the goods as well, especially if they don't screw up Blofeld. All in all the quality of the spy films this year may well set a standard that will be hard to ever beat again.

Hear hear! Thanks for this remark @delfloria . I fully agree with you. Many people can be so critical and negative, but in an unfounded way sometimes, as some of those critics haven't even seen the movie yet.

From my logical point of view I am willing to give a movie a try, especially in the spy genre, if the movie gets some very good reviews to start with. I just don't get why for others this should be the reason NOT to give a movie like "Kingsman" or "Spy" a try.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Hear hear! Thanks for this remark @delfloria . I fully agree with you. Many people can be so critical and negative, but in an unfounded way sometimes, as some of those critics haven't even seen the movie yet.

From my logical point of view I am willing to give a movie a try, especially in the spy genre, if the movie gets some very good reviews to start with. I just don't get why for others this should be the reason NOT to give a movie like "Kingsman" or "Spy" a try.

Oh alright then........I'll give SPY a watch in the theatre, much as I dislike McCarthy. As @timmer said, Rose Byrne may in fact be adequate compensation.

Don't know if I'm being addressed specifically here, but I see tons of movies, and I'm looking forward to a lot coming out over the rest of the year, including Spectre, Mission Impossible, UNCLE, Sicario, Black mass, Hitman, Everest, Terminator, Ted 2 etc. But when you Dont. Laugh. Once. during a trailer for a comedy, its a pretty good indicator that that's not going to be a movie for you.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    M_Balje wrote: »

Now this is a movie I want to see. Hanks rarely lets me down.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 11,119
    And here is the first official teaser trailer for "Bridge Of Spies". Now THIS is melting my "espionage heart":

Bridge_of_Spies_poster.jpg
    SPY is at 95% on rottentomatoes. I may have to bite my lip and actually watch it in the theatres, as the reviews are good and McCarthy is apparently not annoying.
    bondjames wrote: »
    SPY is at 95% on rottentomatoes. I may have to bite my lip and actually watch it in the theatres, as the reviews are good and McCarthy is apparently not annoying.

I'm definetly going to see it. Most reviews talk about the very cogherent plot/story...and that all jokes are there to support the story. It's less spoofy, and at times even slightly serious. Although it's still a comedy though, and I most certainly going to see "Spy" :-).
  • RC7RC7
    It'll be quite embarrassing if Spy turns out to have a more coherent and interesting plot than SF.
    RC7 wrote: »
    It'll be quite embarrassing if Spy turns out to have a more coherent and interesting plot than SF.

Why is that :-P? Because they are two wildy different genres :-P?
  • RC7RC7

No, just funny that a parody may turn out to deliver a more coherent plot than the films it's parodying.

No, just funny that a parody may turn out to deliver a more coherent plot than the films it's parodying.

Let's see ;-). For me what counts is the total experience, the finished package. Of which story is a crucial part. But let's not put story/plot above the finished package. If the story is great, but the editing bad, then also the total package doesn't work well...

Will you see "Spy" in cinema @RC7?
  • RC7RC7

Let's see ;-).

Not suggesting it will be, but it would certainly be ironic.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And here is the first official teaser trailer for "Bridge Of Spies". Now THIS is melting my "espionage heart":

Looks wonderful.

Let's see ;-). For me what counts is the total experience, the finished package. Of which story is a crucial part. But let's not put story/plot above the finished package. If the story is great, but the editing bad, then also the total package doesn't work well...

According to Variety the movie is 'underperforming' this weekend.
    Perdogg wrote: »

http://pro.boxoffice.com/ is saying: " "Spy" is capturing a solid $32 Million opening weekend".

http://pro.boxoffice.com/ is saying: " "Spy" is capturing a solid $32 Million opening weekend".

Correct - but that is still underperforming that rubbish Heat which made $40 Mil its opening weekend.

Correct - but that is still underperforming that rubbish Heat which made $40 Mil its opening weekend.

"Heat" wasn't rubbish IMO. I think the current strong word of mouth for "Spy" will at least result in a better holdover on the long run. Similar to "Kingsman". That movie wasn't even able to grab 1st spot on opening weekend, though it really performed very well in the weeks after.

So I'm not worried for "Spy". In any case, I will definitely going to see it in cinema :-).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2015 Posts: 10,588

"Heat" wasn't rubbish IMO. I think the current strong word of mouth for "Spy" will at least result in a better holdover on the long run. Similar to "Kingsman". That movie wasn't even able to grab 1st spot on opening weekend, though it really performed very well in the weeks after.

So I'm not worried for "Spy". In any case, I will definitely going to see it in cinema :-).

It's funny I'm actually in the middle of watching The Heat for the third time. It's actually very enjoyable. Slightly off topic, but am I the only one who finds McCarthy funny?

Looks VERY good to me! Reminds me of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @jake24 I love her!