Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

Getafix wrote: »
    Isn't Mendes a radiohead fan as well?

Adele was an obvious choice but that doesn't make it a bad one. I wish they'd gone for a few more obvious choices in the 1990s and early 2000s rather than the random dreck we got then.

Agreed. I'm not a particular fan of Adele's but she served the film well. She provided a lot of hype and won a lot of gongs to boot. I don't know who benefited more from her song, but it would seem that it was a win win proposition for both EON and Adele.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 4,619
    My comment from 6 days ago:
    It's time to lock the thread, folks. It's RADIOHEAD. ;)

My comment from 10 days ago:
    Nobody is "hoping for Radiohead". It's Radiohead. Game over. Deal with it. tinyurl.com/ontbl32

My comment from 11 days ago:
    It's Radiohead.

...and my comment from 12 days ago:
    The speculation should have ended right after the news broke that someone tried to put a £15,000 bet on Radiohead. It's RADIOHEAD. Game over. Deal with it.

This is how you go all in. B-)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'll believe it when I see it. But yet again, we believe what we want to believe.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it. But yet again, we believe what we want to believe.
    You don't want to believe it's Radiohead, so you write "I'll believe it when I see it". But it's Radiohead...
  • RC7RC7
    If it is Radiohead it's further proof that the franchise is slowly climbing up it's own arse and embracing hipster culture. What's wrong with a pop artist. Bond is pop culture.
    Radiohead, old glory to light up poor mans glory, what a joke.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The difference between Garbage and Radiohead is infinite.
    The amount of bands and acts that cite them as an influence is huge and comparing them to a band that had Shirley Manson and the guy that produced Nevermind is hilarious, Garbage had one great debut then went off the boil.

One thing is sure if RH do get the job they won't be delivering something that is forgettable, they are fans of Barry and would most likely want to add something to the legacy that isn't forgettable or sound like some funeral march like Garbage.

We get it, you are a big fan of Radiohead.

But as soon as you stated that Garbage went off the boil after their debut, you lost quite all of your credibility.

Garbage's second album Version 2.0 was a critical and commercial success and is viewed by many fans as their best album.
    So, songs like I Think I'm Paranoid, Push It or Special are off the boil??

Here a little from wikipedia: Version 2.0 received generally positive reviews from music critics, and was included by several publications in their year-end lists of 1998's best albums. In 1999, Version 2.0 was nominated for Grammy Awards for Album of the Year and Best Rock Album. The album's third single "Special" was further nominated the following year for Best Rock Song and for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group.

I know that Radiohead plays in another league when it comes to critical and commercial success but to dish out on Garbage just because you don't like them is cheap.
    Roll on September so we find out once and for all!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I was/am a big fan of Garbage; with that said they are capable of a better song than the average one produced.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    RC7 wrote: »
    If it is Radiohead it's further proof that the franchise is slowly climbing up it's own arse and embracing hipster culture. What's wrong with a pop artist. Bond is pop culture.

I agree that Bond is pop culture. But I won't judge a song before I've even heard it. Who knows what Radiohead might come up with given the chance. They don't strike me as a group that want to do the predictable thing. It might be they go full on pop and give us something no one expects from them at all. The fact they did a fairly straight Bond cover (was it all time high?) shows they don't disdain the cheesy pop ballads that are part of Bond lore.

If it's them of course?! It would confirm this idea that it's a left field choice.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The amount of bands and acts that cite them as an influence is huge and comparing them to a band that had Shirley Manson and the guy that produced Nevermind is hilarious, Garbage had one great debut then went off the boil.

One thing is sure if RH do get the job they won't be delivering something that is forgettable, they are fans of Barry and would most likely want to add something to the legacy that isn't forgettable or sound like some funeral march like Garbage.

But as soon as you stated that Garbage went off the boil after their debut, you lost quite all of your credibility.

Garbage's second album Version 2.0 was a critical and commercial success and is viewed by many fans as their best album.

Here a little from wikipedia: Version 2.0 received generally positive reviews from music critics, and was included by several publications in their year-end lists of 1998's best albums. In 1999, Version 2.0 was nominated for Grammy Awards for Album of the Year and Best Rock Album. The album's third single "Special" was further nominated the following year for Best Rock Song and for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group.

I know that Radiohead plays in another league when it comes to critical and commercial success but to dish out on Garbage just because you don't like them is cheap.

I worked in the music retail sector from 1991 - 2007 so I know what sold and didn't and yes their 2nd album did well but it never produced the memorable tracks that their debut did, they'll give Grammy awards to anyone.

Garbage never had any longevity and by the time they did TWINE they were a spent force. Another example of EON giving the job to acts that were well past their prime. They might as well have given it to Placebo it wouldn't have been much difference.

Radiohead still create a stir due to their reputation, I know most people when they heard Garbage had been chosen, went Garbage???

I don't care you think I have no credibility but my knowledge of music and working in the trade gives more than insight to know that when Garbage were chosen they were far from the hot act they'd been an it was less than an inspired choice.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As was Chris Cornell and that paid off beautifully.
    smitty wrote: »
    Given Craig's taste in music I always doubted that Adele was really his choice for SF, and he just went along with it and was being diplomatic about her.

I didn't get the impression he was just being diplomatic, seemed to really like her. I don't know enough about his taste in music to comment on it. I also don't know what about it makes you think he couldn't genuinely like Adele. People can like lots of very different kinds of music - I know I do.

Adele was an obvious choice but that doesn't make it a bad one. I wish they'd gone for a few more obvious choices in the 1990s and early 2000s rather than the random dreck we got then.

Indeed.

• The info on the site is 10 days old, and the only info we have since them is Chris Evans claiming he knows the artist, and that it's not Radiohead. I'm not sure a 10 years old source is actual information.

Funny that on the other hand, when someone here comes and tells real scoops, he's not much trusted :)

I worked in the music retail sector from 1991 - 2007 so I know what sold and didn't and yes their 2nd album did well but it never produced the memorable tracks that their debut did, they'll give Grammy awards to anyone.

Garbage never had any longevity and by the time they did TWINE they were a spent force. Another example of EON giving the job to acts that were well past their prime. They might as well have given it to Placebo it wouldn't have been much difference.

Radiohead still create a stir due to their reputation, I know most people when they heard Garbage had been chosen, went Garbage???

I don't care you think I have no credibility but my knowledge of music and working in the trade gives more than insight to know that when Garbage were chosen they were far from the hot act they'd been an it was less than an inspired choice.

I agree that Garbage was an awful choice. Neither pop enough nor interesting. A mediocre band pAst their 'prime', whenever that was.

I actually think Arnold was responsible as much as Babs.

Arnold chose well though with Kd Lang and Cornell though - pretty left field and both paid off IMO.

An obvious choice that worked tremendously. Until this day I'm listening to it. Probably a thousand times by now. "Skyfall" was a fantastic theme song that really sticks to your head. Everyone can mumble, whistle or song some key notes.

An obvious choice that worked tremendously. Until this day I'm listening to it. Probably a thousand times by now. "Skyfall" was a fantastic theme song that really sticks to your head. Everyone can mumble, whistle or song some key notes.

It lacks something IMO but a decent effort and I have no problem with the choice of artist.
  • 5815892458158924 Valencia (Spain)
    I like Radiohead, but a style Garbage
    58158924 wrote: »
    I like Radiohead, but a style Garbage

"TWINE" is my 2nd favourite Bond song after "Skyfall". Loved every inch, every note of it. Suave, slow-tempo, moody, jazzy and rock-ish, and the last Bond song with Don Black's wonderful lyrics.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

It lacks something IMO but a decent effort and I have no problem with the choice of artist.

I agree completely. It is good and her voice is nice but it is derivative; other Bond songs share this fate (LTK and GE come to mind). I'm also not sure why her voice goes up on the "fall" of SF--feels like a strange choice.

The best Bond songs feel fresh and original, even personal: GF, YOLT, LALD, NDIB, AVTAK, YKMN.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    just a tad frustrating......the last three times there was one set of rumors and then an announcement and that was it. nice clean and simple this time it's a merry go round.

Nope.
    The last three times it was exactly as it is now.
    Actually it was like this already before the Craig era.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Was at school all day so I haven't been online, was going to be real upset if this thread had so many new comments and the new artist wasn't announced to some extent.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,756
    I don't understand how people like Radiohead. All I hear are random noises listening to all their songs.

I'm sure they could deliver a good Bond theme but I just don't get it at all.

Can someone link me some Bondish Radiohead songs?
    ^^ just out of curiosity
    I'm not a 'fan' but the you can see how the first track could become quite Bondian.
  • I've read on a Radiohead fan forum that there had been big bets on Radiohead for previous Craig Bond movies ! For them it looks like old news :)

Note that Thom Yorke wrote a song for the Twilight movies, so they don't feel it's that unlikely as far as "writing for a Bond movie" is concerned.

But Yorke has spent the last weeks writing for a Broadway musical with past Bond contender Clive Owen. It could be the source of the confusion, if there's a confusion.

Well, I don't think it's obvious that Chris Evans is lying when he claims he knows it's not Radiohead...
  • RE: Garbage, 2.0 is a great album. Loved all their albums, in fact.

I wouldn't mind hearing Chris Cornell do another song. Radiohead is fine with me. I like them, not a fanatic.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't understand how people like Radiohead. All I hear are random noises listening to all their songs.

I'm sure they could deliver a good Bond theme but I just don't get it at all.

Can someone link me some Bondish Radiohead songs?

For me its not that I want or would RH ..but fear of Smith.
    Still holding out hope for Gaga to be the one
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Still holding out hope for Gaga to be the one

Oh yea I forgot the Gaga flurry too.. either one (suspect a Gaga one might be more creative and memorable) JUST NOT SMITH!!!!!!!!!