Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    I don't understand how people like Radiohead. All I hear are random noises listening to all their songs.

I'm sure they could deliver a good Bond theme but I just don't get it at all.

Can someone link me some Bondish Radiohead songs?

Radiohead are random noises mostly.

If you want to listen to an iconic album of the 90's then "OK Computer" is the one to go.
    That really was the high point of Radiohead, everything before and after is only for the hard-core fans of them.
    Radiohead clearly belong into the category "has-beens". Although they did sell a lot of their last album in 2011, Radiohead weren't relevant anymore after 2007.

I'd be very surprised if EON had chosen them.
    Getafix wrote: »
    I'm not a 'fan' but the you can see how the first track could become quite Bondian.

OK Computer is an iconic album of the nineties. But actually they just sound like The Charlatans. The first track could be of them easily, just that Tim Burgess (singer of the Charlatans) is a better singer and actually sings.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    58158924 wrote: »
    I like Radiohead, but a style Garbage

"TWINE" is my 2nd favourite Bond song after "Skyfall". Loved every inch, every note of it. Suave, slow-tempo, moody, jazzy and rock-ish, and the last Bond song with Don Black's wonderful lyrics.

I also liked the TWINE theme song and don't see why it's so disliked.

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    doubleoego wrote: »

"TWINE" is my 2nd favourite Bond song after "Skyfall". Loved every inch, every note of it. Suave, slow-tempo, moody, jazzy and rock-ish, and the last Bond song with Don Black's wonderful lyrics.

Because it's dreary, tuneless, narcolepsy-inducing rubbish. One of Arnold's low points. Insisting on using the film title was a mistake. I can't actually remember the lyrics although Don Black is obviously great. The music is just awful.

Are people on here aware that even the tune was not written by Garbage? I don't think anyone could have saved it TBH.
  • I think this song (which I love) proves Laura Mvula could pull it off.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm not a 'fan' but the you can see how the first track could become quite Bondian.

OK Computer is an iconic album of the nineties. But actually they just sound like The Charlatans. The first track could be of them easily, just that Tim Burgess (singer of the Charlatans) is a better singer and actually sings.

Radiohead sound nothing like The Charlatans and you say I lost credibility.

I'm not sure what Radiohead you are listening to but The Charlatans?? A retro sounding indie band?? Radiohead have an eclectic sound, they have no relation to them apart from they both came from the 90's.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    I don't understand how people like Radiohead. All I hear are random noises listening to all their songs.

I'm sure they could deliver a good Bond theme but I just don't get it at all.

Can someone link me some Bondish Radiohead songs?

Here's another great exmple:

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,116
    The Garbage theme is fine IMO.. there are other worse sings to hate.

And if it was indeed Radiohead that already recorded the song I wonder who wrote or cowrote the song. .
    Someone on CBN noticed this comment on Reddit 2 months ago before the Radiohead bet thing happened:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/2ua4mi/radiohead_does_one_of_the_more_memorable_bond/crl6scr
    mcdonbb wrote: »

And if it was indeed Radiohead that already recorded the song I wonder who wrote or cowrote the song. .

That's what I'm interested in. I don't care who performs it so much as who composes and produces it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

That's what I'm interested in. I don't care who performs it so much as who composes and produces it.

I can agree with that to a certain extent. I have never liked Tina Turner, but Bono and The Edge managed to write her a smashing song and she did well with it.

I can agree with that to a certain extent. I have never liked Tina Turner, but Bono and The Edge managed to write her a smashing song and she did well with it.

Left to their own devices most pop stars cannot write a decent film title track - even most singer songwriters. It requires a collaborative effort.

Not only did Adele work with Paul Epworth on SF, a longtime collaborator, she also worked wih JAC Redford, who is Thomas Newman's orchestral arranger.

Now if only Newman had been prepared to work more closely with Adele and Epworth, the Skyfall soundtrack would have been so much better.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Radiohead have made some incredible songs in the past. I'm not as much of a fan of their newer stuff but I'd still be curious to see what they came up with.

Lady Gaga? I have mixed feelings about that choice. Depends on which direction she took the song.

Also, I think the problem with TWINE was that Garbage tried too hard to make it sound like a Bond song instead of sticking with what they were good at. They went out of their comfort zone and it showed. Still, I find it to be an acceptable offering.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 11,425
    pachazo wrote: »
    Radiohead have made some incredible songs in the past. I'm not as much of a fan of their newer stuff but I'd still be curious to see what they came up with.

Lady Gaga? I have mixed feelings about that choice. Depends on which direction she took the song.

Also, I think the problem with TWINE was that Garbage tried too hard to make it sound like a Bond song instead of sticking with what they were good at. They went out of their comfort zone and it showed. Still, I find it to be an acceptable offering.

As I said above, Garbage did not write TWINE. They performed a song written by Don Black and composed by David Arnold. Arnold chose them to perform his and Black's song.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I'm not sure what Radiohead you are listening to but The Charlatans?? A retro sounding indie band?? Radiohead have an eclectic sound, they have no relation to them apart from they both came from the 90's.

I was referring to the first track of OK Computer, there are striking similarities between that and The Charlatans' sound.
    As I said above, Garbage did not write TWINE. They performed a song written by Don Black and composed by David Arnold. Arnold chose them to perform his and Black's song.
    They still had some creative input. My point was that they sounded out of their element.
    They still had some creative input. My point was that they sounded out of their element.

Well it was a rubbish song, so I think it's less to do with them being out of their element Than working with poor material. I don't like Garbage, but I'm sure had it been a decent song they would have done an okay job.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

I was referring to the first track of OK Computer, there are striking similarities between that and The Charlatans' sound.

I believe the track you are speaking about is Airbag the opening track of what is regarded as one of the very best albums of the 90's and sounded nothing like any other rock band at the time. At a moment everyone was trying to be retro and bathe in Brit Pop Radiohead came along and blew peoples minds.

OK Computer was like a breath of fresh air amongst all the retro acts wanting to be the next Oasis.

We'll have to put it down to opinion but I'll take Yorke's voice over Burgess, it not like he was ever regarded as having a particularly great voice ever, a bit like Ian Brown & Liam Gallagher, at least Yorke as some variety in his style throughout his and Radiohead's career.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »

Because it's dreary, tuneless, narcolepsy-inducing rubbish. One of Arnold's low points. Insisting on using the film title was a mistake. I can't actually remember the lyrics although Don Black is obviously great. The music is just awful.

Are people on here aware that even the tune was not written by Garbage? I don't think anyone could have saved it TBH.

Fair enough. I thought it was alright; I didn't hate it.
    I believe the track you are speaking about is Airbag the opening track of what is regarded as one of the very best albums of the 90's and sounded nothing like any other rock band at the time. At a moment everyone was trying to be retro and bathe in Brit Pop Radiohead came along and blew peoples minds.

OK Computer was like a breath of fresh air amongst all the retro acts wanting to be the next Oasis.

We'll have to put it down to opinion but I'll take Yorke's voice over Burgess, it not like he was ever regarded as having a particularly great voice ever, a bit like Ian Brown & Liam Gallagher, at least Yorke as some variety in his style throughout his and Radiohead's career.

Yes I meant Airbag.
    OK Computer is one of the most important and arguably one of the best albums ever.
    I do own all Radiohead albums and I feel that sometimes they sounded a bit like The Charlatans (of which I own about anything ever released, I'm a big fan).
    I like Tom Yorke's voice but I prefer Tim Burgess actually, but I'm biased there being such a big fan of him.
    Anyway, if Radiohead indeed are doing the Bond song, I will judge it when I hear it.
    I just can't imagine why EON would chose them, Radiohead stopped being relevant after 2007, I know you will give me a resounding slap for that last statement.
    ;))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I agree that Garbage's theme is one of the best. The lyrics are quite great too.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,512
    A song for a Craig film concerned with more childhood trauma, written and sung by Thom Yorke. At least I know what to expect as the holding music if I phone Dignitas in December.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited August 2015 Posts: 805
    ....I just can't imagine why EON would chose them, Radiohead stopped being relevant after 2007...

I'm sure some people were saying that about Paul McCartney in 1973 and look how that turned out..
    ....I just can't imagine why EON would chose them, Radiohead stopped being relevant after 2007...

I'm sure some people were saying that about Paul McCartney in 1973 and look how that turned out..

Sure, who knows if Tom Yorke will not become the next Paul McCartney, everything is possible (although the comparison of the Beatles with Radiohead is a bit bold...)

WHO on earth was saying that about Paul McCartney!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCartney_(album)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_(album)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Life_(Wings_album)

Uhm all of this was before Live and Let Die if anything the producers were LUCKY to get McCartney

RC7 wrote: »
    A song for a Craig film concerned with more childhood trauma, written and sung by Thom Yorke. At least I know what to expect as the holding music if I phone Dignitas in December.
    What don't you like about Radiohead? Just curious.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited August 2015 Posts: 805
    Risico007 wrote: »

Uhm all of this was before Live and Let Die if anything the producers were LUCKY to get McCartney

Like the Wikipedia entries say, Ram was negatively received by critics and Wild Life received a "luckwarm critical and commercial reaction". It was only after LALD with the release of Band on The Run that Wings were seen to really 'fly'!

Here endeth of pop lesson. Bring on Radiohead lol

• RC7RC7
    What don't you like about Radiohead? Just curious.

I'm being facetious. I'm sure most artists can do a job given the chance. Radiohead wouldn't be top of my list. To me they're for miserable sods and musos, where I always think Bond themes have a bit more unashamed pop spunk to them.
    I'm being facetious. I'm sure most artists can do a job given the chance. Radiohead wouldn't be top of my list. To me they're for miserable sods and musos, where I always think Bond themes have a bit more unashamed pop spunk to them.
    Fair enough. I think they did "pop rock" very well in their early days but then perhaps got lost in their experimentation as time went on. They wouldn't be my first choice either but, given the chance, I'd like to see what they could provide. I understand their reputation but you don't have to be miserable to appreciate them.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Like the Wikipedia entries say, Ram was negatively received by critics and Wild Life received a "luckwarm critical and commercial reaction". It was only after LALD with the release of Band on The Run that Wings were seen to really 'fly'!

Here endeth of pop lesson. Bring on Radiohead lol

Even still McCartney sold a ton And then you have albums like these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_discography

which uhm yeah