Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited August 2015 Posts: 11,119
    I think Bond deserves a good singer. And not a good singer deserves Bond. If you know what I mean. Bond should be holy compared to whatever singer is singing it.

I know commercial decisions have to be made, but I do hope we get to hear something as mysterious as this (Portishead with "Sour Times"):

In a way it reminds me of "The World Is Not Enough", which is my 2nd favorite Bond song in the last 20 years after "Skyfall".

I love that songs take the time to 'breathe', to fully expose their melodies, in a slow and mysterious way. "TWINE" did exactly that, "Skyfall" too. And I think if Radiohead is being chosen, then I do think they can do a Portishead-kind of song. Anyway, we'll find out in the upcoming 6 weeks ;-).

But my ultimate wet dream choice would be Goldfrapp. Perhaps EON thinks they won't be able to top "Skyfall" anyway, so they could go for a riskier choice (Goldfrapp with "Utopia"):
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Goldfrapp would give the best theme of all time.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm glad there are some Goldfrapp fans around here!
    Goldfrapp still have a very loyal fan base and it's not too late to consider them for a theme. Furthermore, unlike other bands of that genre, Goldfrapp never disappointed so far, and with every album they are able to surprise again. I love all of their albums, and it's one of the very few acts that I have all of their albums in my Top 10 of the respective year the album was released.
    Their 2005 album even was my No 1 album of that year.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Imagine McCartney returned on Spectre. Think about it, he is still making incredible music and touring, Mendes favourite Bond LALD some of the Spectre imagery is LALD inspired. This would be icing on the cake for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Imagine McCartney returned on Spectre. Think about it, he is still making incredible music and touring, Mendes favourite Bond LALD some of the Spectre imagery is LALD inspired. This would be icing on the cake for me.

I'll give McCartney is due for his legacy but he can barely sing now so no thanks, at least Radiohead have a contemporary feel to their music.

I'm sorry I've never understood the love McCartney as a solo artist, yes there are some classic in there like LALD but we are talking about the guy who gave us The Frog Chorus and that insipid Pipes of Peace not forgetting Mull of Kyntire.

I acknowledge the genius of The Beatles but Paul just leaves me cold for the most of the time, far more better and talented solo artists have come along since Beatles split up.

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

Just to name 4 I could go on, they might not have the legacy of the Beatles but the consistency and variety far outstrip his solo output.

Portishead, Massive Attack & Goldfrapp would be great but I think that time has passed unfortunately.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I'll give McCartney is due for his legacy but he can barely sing now so no thanks, at least Radiohead have a contemporary feel to their music.

I'm sorry I've never understood the love McCartney as a solo artist, yes there are some classic in there like LALD but we are talking about the guy who gave us The Frog Chorus and that insipid Pipes of Peace not forgetting Mull of Kyntire.

I acknowledge the genius of The Beatles but Paul just leaves me cold for the most of the time, far more better and talented solo artists have come along since Beatles split up.

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

Just to name 4 I could go on, they might not have the legacy of the Beatles but the consistency and variety far outstrip his solo output.

Portishead, Massive Attack & Goldfrapp would be great but I think that time has passed unfortunately.

Never an argument you will ever win saying that

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

are better singer songwriter than Sir Paul that's Blasphemy.
  • RC7RC7
    Prince makes McCartney look utterly mediocre. A Prince Bond theme would be incredible.
    Paul McCartney wrote Eleanor Rigby on his own, music and all when he was 17 years which is considered by many classical composers as an extremely complex well worked Dorian mode piece.

Pete Townshend of The Who commented, "I think 'Eleanor Rigby' was a very important musical move forward. It certainly inspired me to write and listen to things in that vein.

Celebrated songwriter Jerry Leiber said: "The Beatles are second to none in all departments. I don't think there has ever been a better song written than 'Eleanor Rigby'."[37]

Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees once said that their 1969 song "Melody Fair" was influenced by "Eleanor Rigby"[38]

Which prince track inspired people of such stature in musical history or what track of the complexity, of what McCartney could do as a child? Purple Rain?

Lennon died young hailed a genius. McCartney wont be appreciated properly until after his death.

No McCartney, No Beatles, No Prince. It is a lot harder to something original rather than follow trends.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    You could argue all music is just notes of noise tricking the brain into thinking they're a melody. In this respect any song - no matter how bad or good you perceive it to be - has the same intrinsic value.

In theory, the worst song you've ever heard is just as good as the best. Just your mind tricking you. The Beatles may be totally talentless - you just think Let It Be or Yesterday are amazing tunes. But it's just notes of noise. That's all. I admit this is a 'Matrix' kind of way of looking at it. :D
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon. Then you will see it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

―Spoon Boy to Neo

Paul McCartney wrote Eleanor Rigby on his own, music and all when he was 17 years which is considered by many classical composers as an extremely complex well worked Dorian mode piece.

Pete Townshend of The Who commented, "I think 'Eleanor Rigby' was a very important musical move forward. It certainly inspired me to write and listen to things in that vein.

Celebrated songwriter Jerry Leiber said: "The Beatles are second to none in all departments. I don't think there has ever been a better song written than 'Eleanor Rigby'."[37]

Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees once said that their 1969 song "Melody Fair" was influenced by "Eleanor Rigby"[38]

Which prince track inspired people of such stature in musical history or what track of the complexity, of what McCartney could do as a child? Purple Rain?

Lennon died young hailed a genius. McCartney wont be appreciated properly until after his death.

No McCartney, No Beatles, No Prince. It is a lot harder to something original rather than follow trends.

this is true.. Like I said the reason I enjoy Progressive rock is it is that move toward something different. Where as all of you listen to Adele or I don't know Jon Barry soundtracks for me it's

Yes (and the god 50 off shoots from the band)
    ELP
    Pink Floyd (though Endless River was a slight disappointment)
    Genesis
    Spock's Beard
    Rush
    and occasionally
    Dream Theater

I am much more interested in the new Billy Sherwood Project Citizen then I am for Spectre's soundtrack however I will get at least a few tracks from both.

As for title song for Spectre Radiohead would be fine (they have a huge pink Floyd influence and are vaguely Prog) though if we are going for semi prog bands or Pop Prog bands I would prefer Muse to Radiohead but would be fine with either one as I really never thought I would see a prog rock bond theme.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I love RUSH and Dream Theater... I understand why DT isn't for everyone though :)
    Having said that I also really like Adele, Lorde, Gaga, etc... It's all about how I'm feeling at the moment.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »

this is true.. Like I said the reason I enjoy Progressive rock is it is that move toward something different. Where as all of you listen to Adele or I don't know Jon Barry soundtracks for me it's

Yes (and the god 50 off shoots from the band)
    ELP
    Pink Floyd (though Endless River was a slight disappointment)
    Genesis
    Spock's Beard
    Rush
    and occasionally
    Dream Theater

I am much more interested in the new Billy Sherwood Project Citizen then I am for Spectre's soundtrack however I will get at least a few tracks from both.

As for title song for Spectre Radiohead would be fine (they have a huge pink Floyd influence and are vaguely Prog) though if we are going for semi prog bands or Pop Prog bands I would prefer Muse to Radiohead but would be fine with either one as I really never thought I would see a prog rock bond theme.

I've been listening to a lot of King Wazzock and the Chodes. Top notch Disco Polo.

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

Lennon & McCartney you'll get no arguments from me but neither artist has written anything that rivals their Beatles output.

Whereas the four I mentioned have definitely written better songs than PM has on his own. The Beatles are the greatest band of all time when it comes to influence, personally I prefer other acts like Floyd, The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin but I'd never deny their impact on music but McCartney on his own???

Prince, wrote, produced and played all the instruments on his debut album and had such an incredible run of albums from the early 80's right into the 90's, he can play more instruments than most artists and his vocal range leaves McCartney in looking very ltd.

Prince might not have written anything to rival the fab four but likes of When Doves Cry is easily better than the majority of McCartney's solo back cat, Paul fans always mention the Beatles when they defend him outside of Band on the Run & LALD I can't think of anything that would rival the brilliantly simplistic masterpiece that is Doves.

Also McCartney has never produced an album as consistent and full of pop genius as Purple Rain, yes I'd say Prince as a musician is considerably more talented than McCartney.

Pink Floyd are my favourite band but neither Roger Waters or David Gilmour have done anything to rival the collective genius of Floyd and the same goes for the Beatles and many other bands who's members have had solo careers.

Waits Bush & Young have easily outstripped PM as a solo artist, he's been riding on that Beatles thing for the most of his career and every time we have some celebration they wheel his decrepit form out to murder Hey Jude for the hundredth time.

A perfect example was Live 8, a 4 man Floyd was real highlight of the day and it was what the majority of people saw as the highlight but no we get an anti climatic pub singalong from Sir Paul leaning heavily on Beatles songs to fill out his underwhelming set.

Now if Prince even now did a Bond theme that would be something very special, he might not have the studio output he did in his prime but I'm sure he's pull out the stops and give us a barnstorming theme.
  • What about a song about 007's origin ?

• edited August 2015 Posts: 1,068
    It's all about how I'm feeling at the moment.

therein lies the truth to this whole to and fro discussion.

I like or at the very least tolerate almost anything that actually has something about it with some movement. Some days I won't stop on a song I usually listen to specifically and repeat one I rarely listen to - music is about different moods and it's affect on them and creating them.

I totally agree with those saying it's not really about who performs the song, but how they perform it!!
    edited August 2015 Posts: 7,526
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    You could argue all music is just notes of noise tricking the brain into thinking they're a melody. In this respect any song - no matter how bad or good you perceive it to be - has the same intrinsic value.

In theory, the worst song you've ever heard is just as good as the best. Just your mind tricking you. The Beatles may be totally talentless - you just think Let It Be or Yesterday are amazing tunes. But it's just notes of noise. That's all. I admit this is a 'Matrix' kind of way of looking at it. :D
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon. Then you will see it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

―Spoon Boy to Neo

I have to say I don't agree with this at all, and I can't even really make much sense of it. Melody *is* a collection of notes; "notes" don't "trick the brain" into "thinking they're a melody". You could argue this, but then the argument would be over.

There are good songs and bad songs. I guess what you're trying to say is that music is subjective and some people will like things that other people don't like, but I really can't at all get behind how you're presenting it.

To quote Miles Teller, in Whiplash, when asked "Isn't music subjective?"

"No."

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

Tom Waits
    Neil Young
    Prince
    Kate Bush

Lennon & McCartney you'll get no arguments from me but neither artist has written anything that rivals their Beatles output.

Whereas the four I mentioned have definitely written better songs than PM has on his own. The Beatles are the greatest band of all time when it comes to influence, personally I prefer other acts like Floyd, The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin but I'd never deny their impact on music but McCartney on his own???

Prince, wrote, produced and played all the instruments on his debut album and had such an incredible run of albums from the early 80's right into the 90's, he can play more instruments than most artists and his vocal range leaves McCartney in looking very ltd.

Prince might not have written anything to rival the fab four but likes of When Doves Cry is easily better than the majority of McCartney's solo back cat, Paul fans always mention the Beatles when they defend him outside of Band on the Run & LALD I can't think of anything that would rival the brilliantly simplistic masterpiece that is Doves.

Also McCartney has never produced an album as consistent and full of pop genius as Purple Rain, yes I'd say Prince as a musician is considerably more talented than McCartney.

Pink Floyd are my favourite band but neither Roger Waters or David Gilmour have done anything to rival the collective genius of Floyd and the same goes for the Beatles and many other bands who's members have had solo careers.

Waits Bush & Young have easily outstripped PM as a solo artist, he's been riding on that Beatles thing for the most of his career and every time we have some celebration they wheel his decrepit form out to murder Hey Jude for the hundredth time.

A perfect example was Live 8, a 4 man Floyd was real highlight of the day and it was what the majority of people saw as the highlight but no we get an anti climatic pub singalong from Sir Paul leaning heavily on Beatles songs to fill out his underwhelming set.

Now if Prince even now did a Bond theme that would be something very special, he might not have the studio output he did in his prime but I'm sure he's pull out the stops and give us a barnstorming theme.

Shardlake their was a reason for that, after The Beatles McCartney stopped taking things so seriously, the point of Wings was to still be involved in music, but also to spend time with his family and just about have fun. He has never been one to revisit old ground. I think Live & lets die is up there with The Beatles material. Paul McCartney composed the full soundtrack for the video game Destiny, I too also like the psychedelic Rock bands you mentioned, however they will say so themselves No McCartney, No Beatles and those bands wouldn't exist. FYI mull of Kintyre won the Ivor Novello in 1975 for the best selling single ever, no my choice of his material but it was hugely successful.
  • RC7RC7
    Mull of Kintyre makes me want to end things.
  • do you think we will no the singer and listen to the music in September this time. or will it be like last time and in late October. I so want it to be next month, as the anticipation is killing me.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    AWTD would of been even better I think with out Alicia keys h.onestly when she tried to hit certain high notes I cringed a bit. She seemed abit too out of her comfort zone. Other wise rest was very great with Jack white
    Garth007 wrote: »
    AWTD would of been even better I think with out Alicia keys h.onestly when she tried to hit certain high notes I cringed a bit. She seemed abit too out of her comfort zone. Other wise rest was very great with Jack white

I think if Jack White had been given the time to come up with something and we hadn't all the wasting time with Amy & Ronson will they or won't they. He would have been able to come up with something a allot more focused and not so knocked up in a hurry which AWTD certainly stinks of.

I like the song but would agree Keyes was unnecessary and not a good match for Jack, the songs he's written for The White Stripes, The Raconteurs show he can more than deliver the goods, also the Dangermouse project Rome was a good guage, now if he'd worked on it with him and his partner on that project Daniele Luppi we could have got something very special.

Ideally working with Arnold probably been best as YKMN shows, easily Arnolds best collaboration of the series.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 157
    I know some of you don't like these guys, but a-ha has mentioned James Bond once again in their most recent interview (in support of their new video). Last month, one of their new album producers said that James Bond scores were an influence in their approach of giving shape to this particular song, and now the video is also said to resemble our favourite secret agent. Here is the exact quote that starts referring to danish actress, Sofie Grabo, and then procedes to our point...

“In our opinion she is one of the most interesting character actors we have in Scandinavia. A music video doesn’t necessarily involve much acting, but her presence adds more weight to it – it suddenly becomes “The Killing” meets James Bond”, Magne (a-ha's keyboard player) says.

What do you think?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mTAqM4AcRa0

Nice women. Bond-girl material, I must say.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    If I hear "Spectre" in the title song, the film can do no better than 10th all time.
    If I hear "Spectre" in the title song, the film can do no better than 10th all time.

This is a bit irrational. I really feel like the word Spectre is going to be in the theme song, for better or for worse
  • Everyone. I've been trying to search and eliminate singers who don't think it will be. Everyone, listen to this and tell me what you think, because this is very bondy. ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I can't find an official confirmation, but it's still nearly guaranteed that Radiohead is doing the title song, correct? I don't follow this thread as much as I should.
  • I know its a shame. Just listen to this beautiful music. It should be Lana Del Ray
  • Im going to have to contact the produces of bond somehow one day. Lana should certainly do a bond theme. Music is amazing and lots of it sounds very bond like. don't you agree ?