The Girls' Room

Comments

• @Regan: Welcome to the boards! I don't post as much as the other girls but I check the forum everyday. :)

I love the Bond OPI colors too. I only have 3 of them but I want to buy more. I live in the US so I was lucky enough to get them for about $6 apiece. I have Live and Let Die, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Skyfall. I haven't tried LALD yet but the other two are gorgeous. I put on Skyfall for Thanksgiving.
    Is the Goldeneye color more transparent, or is it matte? The color looked gorgeous in the bottle but I wasn't sure how it would look on my nails.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Regan wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    OPI also costs twice as much here. Peru, how interesting! I live in Germany, but I'm Portuguese.

That's so neat, so I assume you speak both languages pretty well. I live in Peru but I'm actually Honduran (Central America). It's a very small country right on the Caribbean sea. Interesting that we're both foreigners where we live.

That is interesting, strangers in a strange land. My German is not that good, enough to get by but I moved here this year so I guess it will improve with time. My Spanish is quite reasonable, I translated a few articles and interviews of Javier Bardem for the MI6 website. I know where Honduras is, and Peru although I've never been to South America (one day).
    jackdagger wrote:
    @Regan: Welcome to the boards! I don't post as much as the other girls but I check the forum everyday. :)

I love the Bond OPI colors too. I only have 3 of them but I want to buy more. I live in the US so I was lucky enough to get them for about $6 apiece. I have Live and Let Die, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and Skyfall. I haven't tried LALD yet but the other two are gorgeous. I put on Skyfall for Thanksgiving.
    Is the Goldeneye color more transparent, or is it matte? The color looked gorgeous in the bottle but I wasn't sure how it would look on my nails.

@jackdagger good to see you here too ;) I remember you commented about having bought a couple of the polishes and I was wondering whether you liked them or not. Goldeye is not matte from what I know. I think I posted this link before but here it goes again, has a nice description of Goldeneye as well as photos.
    They are even cheaper in the USA than I remembered (or perhaps they got more expensive here), $6 vs €16 here (that's a little more than $20) ~X(
  • $20 for a bottle of nail polish? That's insane!! The regular price here is $8.50, but some places near me have 2 for $12 or buy one/get one 50% off.
    jackdagger wrote:
    @Regan: Welcome to the boards! I don't post as much as the other girls but I check the forum everyday. :)

Sandy is right, Goldeneye is not matte, it's a bit sheer. You'll need two thick coats or three thinner coats for full opacity, but it's definitely a keeper. Skyfall is a really nice maroon creme color, it's just that it's not the most "original" color, but definitely makes your nails look nice and elegant. I am trying to grow my nails longer so that I can do the Severine mani (Goldeneye on the back of the nail and Skyfall on the front). Always nice to meet a fellow girl on this forum by the way :D.

@Sandy, that's awesome that you have a good enough knowledge of Spanish to translate. I bet you'd understand all I say if I turn on the español. I'm also glad you know where Honduras is. Might be hard to believe but most people don't. They think it's some island somewhere and are unable to find it on a map.

By the way 20 bucks for a bottle of nail polish is insane. I was tempted to get The Man With the Golden Gun but it's about 30 dollars and I just can't bring my wallet to agree with it.

Hi Regan,

Peru is on my travel list, as I think, its a very different and interesting place. I know someone, who lives there, too and it would be fun to visit her.

Have a great weekend everybody!
    @Regan por supuesto! Una de mis mejores amigas aquí es de Venezuela y siempre hablamos en Castellano. He vivido mucha de mi vida próximo a la frontera con España así que aprendí a hablar Castellano desde muy niña. Soy trilingue.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 23,548
    Well, the mod team decided to take the weekend off. So here's us at the party we threw last night:

chippendales.jpg

The long hairs are mine. I'll leave it up to y'all to figure out who here is @Benny, @St_George, @NicNac, @doubleonothing, @DiscoVolante , @MajorDSmythe, ... ;-)
    Hm - you mean, you water our mouthes AFTER the show? Seriously? :((
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    That's how we do things in the mod room. ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    That's how we do things in the mod room. ;-)

You all must have memberships for the same gym.
    Whoa nelly, warn a b*otch. I had no idea we had such a... tempting set of mods on this boards. :D @DarthDimi, you actually have better, more lustrous hair than me.

@Germanlady, come on over! There are some great places here and plenty to do. Desert, jungle, mountains, we have it. :) Where does your aquaintance live?

@Sandy, tu español es perfecto, que chevere! Los venezolanos son super buena gente. Nunca he ido a Europa pero me encantaría ir a Portugal (y España) tambien. De hecho que me ganas en lo de los idiomas, apenas soy bilingue.

DarthDimi wrote:
    That's how we do things in the mod room. ;-)[/quote

Hm girls - that calls for a nice little show ourselves, no? Lets meet up and discuss, how we can get even :-?
    @Regan - I dunno - she is a forum friend, but I can ask. I think, Peru is interesting on many levels. I have a real friend, who has been there for many weeks and loved it for the energy it has. There is a lot of spirituality in the air.
    Germanlady wrote:
    @Regan - I dunno - she is a forum friend, but I can ask. I think, Peru is interesting on many levels. I have a real friend, who has been there for many weeks and loved it for the energy it has. There is a lot of spirituality in the air.

That's nice that your friend thought that because a lot of people feel that way. I think this is a very special place full of mysticism. One look at the Nazca lines is enough to boggle the mind. By the way, I'd love to visit Germany one day... Just do the whole European community tour, so in that respect we're even. ;)
  • Regan wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    OPI also costs twice as much here. Peru, how interesting! I live in Germany, but I'm Portuguese.

That's so neat, so I assume you speak both languages pretty well. I live in Peru but I'm actually Honduran (Central America). It's a very small country right on the Caribbean sea. Interesting that we're both foreigners where we live.

I love Honduran cigars, one day I hope to visit there and do a factory tour in a city/town called Danli.

Talked with 4Ever through PM and she will be back very soon :)
    Regan wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

I love Honduran cigars, one day I hope to visit there and do a factory tour in a city/town called Danli.

Talked with 4Ever through PM and she will be back very soon :)

Good to know @SirHenryLeeChaChing, I'm sure I speak for myself and others when I say her presence has been missed.
    @Regan. I have had many visitors from all over the world at my place, so feel free to contact me, whenever you decide to visit Europe. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hullo, everyone! I'm back!
    I am so happy to get back to this fun forum. I have really missed checking in every day. My little sabbatical was difficult but worth it - I saw Skyfall yesterday without knowing much about it at all, which was exactly what I wanted! I'll post my full review on another thread, but here are a few things I wanted to share with my sister agents directly, too.

I am very happy with Naomie and Berenice. Glad Naomie will be around for films to come. Loved her chemistry with Craig and her back story, which we got in Skyfall, is fine with me.

Daniel surpassed himself. I am in Bond heaven, yes, but mainly due to him. Without his very fine performance, it would still be a very good Bond film but not great. And for me, Skyfall is great, exceeded my expectations. LOVED it. I haven't left a theater from a Bond movie so happy and satisfied since Goldeneye (CR came close, but it had a sad ending).

Ok, here are some initial thoughts: Remember, I am in Japan, land of anime and many cartoon-like characters. You should see the morning tv shows; quite amusing. Anyway,
    I do want to mention the preliminary short info given to the audience before the movie started. You know, like "Don't smoke in the theater. Turn your cellphone off." In this one, a man dressed with a camcorder/video camera thing as his head (it covered his whole head, not just on top) came into a theater and started filming the movie that was playing. A girl sitting near him was very shocked (no one else was sitting there, either, just one girl and this guy with a camcorder head) - then came the police lights! And sirens! And the movie theater police guy (also wearing something strange, can't remember, also covering his entire head) shone lights on the guy pirating the film and took him away in handcuffs. Lesson hopefully learned by all in the theater watching it! Absolutely hilarious. After that, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had usher/police staff patrolling during the movie. Fortunately, they didn't. I got to see it from an excellent seat, no one near me, no distractions.

Skyfall itself: Again, I LOVED it. I really thought I would like it tremendously, and I was prepared to not like parts, but honestly I thought it was a great Bond film. One of my favorites definitely. Why? For one, it never dragged for me, not at all. And much more importantly Craig was a more confident, strong (yet still vulnerable just not in the mushy way) and very compelling, sexy, and totally driven, patriotic agent. Also, it was so darn beautifully filmed! Great cinematography for sure. The story was compelling and better than the last, oh I don't know, 5 or 6 Bond movies. Well written. It went beyond just a good script, though, the acting was truly superb. Points out again that casting great actors makes a huge difference, it really does. And hand them a decent script with a fine director and you've got the makings of a very, very good Bond film.

OK, ladies, it's great to be back. :) More from me later. Gotta get ready to catch a train (not quite like Bond; I won't be jumping onto the front of the lead car).
    @4EverBonded it's great to have you back!!! And I'm so glad you enjoyed Skyfall just as much as I did ;) It's the feeling of the majority that it is one of the best Bond films ever. Also, thanks so much for stopping by to give your first had account at the Girls Room, what an honour. I'm curious to read your full review. Have a safe journey, see you ;;)
    @SirHenryLeeChaChing: It's so surreal to hear you mention that town. I'm always delighted when people from other countries know things about such a small country as Honduras. I've heard the cigars are pretty good too, though not being a smoker I wouldn't really know. ;)

@Germanlady: You are the nicest, thanks so much!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @4EverBonded, welcome back! Good to see you in great spirits and loving Skyfall like most of us. You missed the worst of the site across the past few weeks, so consider yourself lucky. Hopefully with your return the horizon looks sunnier.
    Yup, its save to say, you didn't miss anything of importance or fun.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,601
    As the year goes towards its end, I would like to refresh this thread with saying - all of you stay save, have a wonderful X-mas and a great turn into 2013. We left exciting times behind us, highlighted with a very successful Bond film. As a fan, what more can you ask for?

So - take care all and see you next year!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Welcome back 4EverBonded. You had the longest SF wait of anyone on here and am glad to hear you enjoyed SF.
    I'll be here less this week and then it's Christmas time and I'll not be checking these forums much. But I was just thinking what a great year this has been for Bond-fans, it's an exciting time to be a Bond fan, like never in my lifetime. Have a nice week everyone.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:
    I'll be here less this week and then it's Christmas time and I'll not be checking these forums much. But I was just thinking what a great year this has been for Bond-fans, it's an exciting time to be a Bond fan, like never in my lifetime. Have a nice week everyone.

Thanks, @Sandy, and the same to you. If I don't see you around these parts I wish you a safe and very Merry Christmas. :)
    santa_fat_dance.gif
    Thank you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the same for you.

I hope everyone is having a good week. Who is getting ready to celebrate Christmas, has anyone already bought all presents (if so, how brave), any special traditions you want to share?
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:
    Thank you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the same for you.

I hope everyone is having a good week. Who is getting ready to celebrate Christmas, has anyone already bought all presents (if so, how brave), any special traditions you want to share?
    I did shopping for my parents, and am planning on getting a gift for my friend. As for traditions, my family and I get the tree up after Thanksgiving, and it looks gorgeous. One of my favorite things about the holiday, and I often find myself staring at its wonderful mix or tinsel, ornaments, lights and snow. In addition, I watch Elf with my family every Christmas Eve, which is one of my favorite holiday films. A nice mix of comedy and heart, that one.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    We may have already done this ... I am too lazy to check our earlier chats (sorry).
    But ... what Bond girl (woman) would you say that you most resemble in personality or looks? Just thinking about it as the guys are chatting these days about this re Bond. Just for fun, what do you think?

For me: Alas, none in looks - but most closely would be Carole Bouquet in FYEO if she had wavy blonde hair (yeah, I know, can't imagine that ...). Her character, Melina's, personality probably most resembles mine, too. Along with a dash of Pam (Carey Lowell). (If going by the books only, I'd have to add Honeychile Ryder).

What about you?
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 117
    We may have already done this ... I am too lazy to check our earlier chats (sorry).
    But ... what Bond girl (woman) would you say that you most resemble in personality or looks? Just thinking about it as the guys are chatting these days about this re Bond. Just for fun, what do you think?

For me: Alas, none in looks - but most closely would be Carole Bouquet in FYEO if she had wavy blonde hair (yeah, I know, can't imagine that ...). Her character, Melina's, personality probably most resembles mine, too. Along with a dash of Pam (Carey Lowell). (If going by the books only, I'd have to add Honeychile Ryder).

What about you?

Tough question. I can't think of a Bond girl with my features! Maybe that girl from TWINE, Giulietta da Vinci (had to google her lol), but she's still too italian. I have dark hair (too dark), really light skin (too white) and my lips are considerably big (not too big haha).

Talking about my personality, I can be somewhat like Vesper, especially with strangers. She's the kind of person that can be aloof and acid, but deep down you might find a softer side that I can relate. I will also add a little bit of Tatiana Romanova because I'm not a serious person all the time. ;)

Well, I tried. I'm still convinced I'm nothing like any of them. But if they need someone like me, I'm here.