The Girls' Room

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Time to get this thread up and running again! @youonlylivethrice excelent choice, I'm also looking forward to the third chapter, those are amazing films and very romantic.
    I'm a bit out of imagination right now, work has been draining my creative resources, so I'll keep things simple:

Any plans for the weekend? Please, feel free to blather away, ladies and gentlemen.

My take: Do you know when suddenly everyone has a plan to do something fun for the weekend and decide to invite you and it's precisely the time you can't go? That's my situation. I spent the last 3 days in an old convent, with no internet access other than my cell phone, in a work retreat (i.e. 3 day nonstop meeting). Meanwhile, actual work was waiting for me when I came back and I have a deadline until Monday. So this potentially great weekend suddenly became hard work and no play. I honestly hope your plans are better than mine.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2013 Posts: 12,459
    All work and no play makes us ... well, not at our best. For me, grumpy and old before my time (although that clock is ticking!). I hope you find some fun within the next 7 to 10 days for sure, Sandy. At least some relaxation.

I am simply working my usual long shifts and longing for rest this weekend. We are having a significant number of students come down with the flu - including 4 from my class. So I am hoping that is not a little time bomb waiting to go off for me this weekend. I haven't had the actual fly since 1985, yet I remember how horrible it was. Ugh!

So no wonderful plans; just re-reading a couple of books, ordering some more, and trying to stay positive. At least it is usually sunny and nice here, even though winter. I enjoy fall thru spring; summer is hellacious and simply reminds me of Florida (yuk).

My students are - every day now - rehearsing for their Performance Day play. This time it is Goldilocks, Her Three Sisters, and the Bears. I wrote it, keeping it simple and following the regular story line. Every child has a part (4 animals come along, too, to comment and play; 11 students total). This is all in English, their second language, and the kids are truly amazing. I am lucky to be part of a real immersion program, so my students are actually conversant in English. I love them. My job (head kindergarten teacher) is often very tiring, at times stressful, but also satisfying. To see their progress, as they become little people and not just babies, is rewarding. :)

Off to catch a train soon. This weekend calls for chocolate and dvds, as well as some good books! Hope everyone has a great weekend. Including you, Sandy, in spite of all your work right now.

P.S. If you check out the Blofeldcatcapcon thread, you will find that Danslittlefinger is back! His wit has been missed; it is good to see a regular return after a significant absence.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I remember my Canadian lady Retro Kitty very well. Loved her perspective on things and she generally showed interest. Often wonder if her and Daniel are on the Left Coast still.
    Welcome to The Girls Room @thedove. I also remember @retrokitty and I've wondered many times what happened to her as well as @lalala2004, another female member long gone from this forum.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 92
    FireSkull wrote:
    Girls like only love-stories. So they'll never be unbiased with a character who lays down in bed with 2-3 hot chicks in the movie, coz they want their men and boyfriends to take inspiration from that. Plus, they're so not into cool gadgets....
    So please invite girls here. I want to see their opinions about bond. Biased ones too :P :D :))
    Sometimes I can't tell if someone is serious or not BUT ...

I think the problem some women could potentially have with Bond isn't that it isn't a love-story. I think it ties into the fact that if we were to place a female character in Bond's role it wouldn't be supported. A man who sleeps with multiple women is considered top of his game, while a woman who sleeps with multiple men is a slut. But I don't watch Bond to analyse the sexism/misogyny in the series. I know its there but I'm at a luxury to be able to ignore it and focus on plot.

I think also Bond while acting as a male fantasy for men - sleep with around, be a hero - also has provides a fantasy for women. Mysterious, sauve, gentlemen in a nice suit? Oh hell yes. Hell, Craig's infamous swimming trunks is another fantastic example for the female gaze. It isn't about love, it's about lust, sex and all things under that umbrella. Bond invites you to live on the edge, in a fantasy.

(Hell, when I watch Bond - I want to be Bond-esque. I want to drive fast cars, go on death-defying adventures, and generally be everything I am not in real life ... just like how I also want to attend Hogwarts on a fun side note)

And as for women only being interested in LOVE stories - I frankly find that an incredibly backwards way of thinking. Incredibly.
  • AgentFae wrote:
    FireSkull wrote:
    Girls like only love-stories. So they'll never be unbiased with a character who lays down in bed with 2-3 hot chicks in the movie, coz they want their men and boyfriends to take inspiration from that. Plus, they're so not into cool gadgets....
    So please invite girls here. I want to see their opinions about bond. Biased ones too :P :D :))
    Sometimes I can't tell if someone is serious or not BUT ...

I think the problem some women could potentially have with Bond isn't that it isn't a love-story. I think it ties into the fact that if we were to place a female character in Bond's role it wouldn't be supported. A man who sleeps with multiple women is considered top of his game, while a woman who sleeps with multiple men is a slut. But I don't watch Bond to analyse the sexism/misogyny in the series. I know its there but I'm at a luxury to be able to ignore it and focus on plot.

I think also Bond while acting as a male fantasy for men - sleep with around, be a hero - also has provides a fantasy for women. Mysterious, sauve, gentlemen in a nice suit? Oh hell yes. Hell, Craig's infamous swimming trunks is another fantastic example for the female gaze. It isn't about love, it's about lust, sex and all things under that umbrella. Bond invites you to live on the edge, in a fantasy.

And as for women only being interested in LOVE stories - I frankly find that an incredibly backwards way of thinking. Incredibly.

I know that it came out a long time ago, but the director's commentary on Starship Troopers was incredibly enlightening. The audience had no problem with the hero sleeping with two women, but the film had to be edited so one female character never slept with two men! Sad to say, even WOMEN in the audience were offended when she did it in the original test screenings!

To me what's good for the goose is good for the gander, but there are a lot of insecure men (boys?) out there...

• That is a problem of Western society's mode of thinking, and how I would say roughly that both men and women are trapped into that way of thinking due to our culture. Makes me sad.

And I think it could be a concern for insecure men - I mean a woman isn't just satisfied by your penis? Heaven forbid - she must be a slag! That's must be it! My penis is mighty afterall! WHORE! Who knows.

... anyway I'll leave it there.
  • Not a fan of romantic movies, though i would probably go with Alfred Hitchcocks Notorious. Superb film, with an excellent cast one of Hitchcocks best IMO :-)
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    edited February 2013 Posts: 110
    Ah! Hello Germanlady , AgentFae and Fire_and_Ice ...glad to see I am not the only female Bond fan around here !
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oligarch wrote:
    Ah! Hello Germanlady , AgentFae and Fire_and_Ice ...glad to see I am not the only female Bond fan around here !

Well, changing sexes is your most effective plot yet.
    I do have a transgender neighbor in the flat next door , She is rather a nice person and doesn't bother anybody, but I myself am content with my femininity and am not a male if thats what you were inferring.

But you bring up an excellent idea Brady! Perhaps a Bond Villain who is partly psychotic and cross dresses at times? or is it too much for the youth to handle?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oligarch wrote:
    I do have a transgender neighbor in the flat next door , She is rather a nice person and doesn't bother anybody, but I myself am content with my femininity and am not a male if thats what you were inferring.

But you bring up an excellent idea Brady! Perhaps a Bond Villain who is partly psychotic and cross dresses at times? or is it too much for the youth to handle?

You can hide your identity, but not your bad sentence structures.
    sherlock-smiley.gif?1292867671
    edited February 2013 Posts: 110
    :( my sentences are bad ? :'(
    Oligarch wrote:
    :( my sentences are bad ? :'(

The structure, yes.

After 6 accounts it would be nice if you at least mixed your grammar up a bit, making it a little tougher for us to spot you. I mean, if you are going to go as far as pretending to have XX chromosomes and use a random female's picture off the web for a profile image, at least go the whole way with it.

Amateurs, am I right, folks?
  • AgentFae wrote:
    That is a problem of Western society's mode of thinking, and how I would say roughly that both men and women are trapped into that way of thinking due to our culture. Makes me sad.

And I think it could be a concern for insecure men - I mean a woman isn't just satisfied by your penis? Heaven forbid - she must be a slag! That's must be it! My penis is mighty afterall! WHORE! Who knows.

... anyway I'll leave it there.

One of the problems for men in our society is that we are exposed to quite literally thousands of hours of TV and movies where the coolest men have a new leading lady every week or in every film. I would think that sets up a lot of subconscious expectation, especially when you're exposed to it since, say, the age of four or five and have no real world experience to counteract the idea that this is what life is supposed to be like.

I very much agree with what you say above, sexual prowess and the number of conquests are a HUGE part of the identity of most young guys. It's amazing to be behind a group of 18 year old guys when I'm standing in line for a movie or browsing in a sporting goods store. Every one of them is bragging about how he's a God in bed. Too bad that they don't get to hear the conversations I've heard when standing behind a group of girls their age...but they'd probably just go into rage filled denial...

I can't say how different it is in different countries around the world but Dan Savage (one of the best advice columnists around) says that when he talks to kids in universities in the US there's still a huge amount of "social conditioning" that informs guys that they're cool if they sleep around and women are sluts if they do the same. And sadly, he says he meets tons of girls who still buy into it!

Brady I am confused honey
    Oligarch wrote:

Don't call me honey, sir.
    your starting to make me feel very unwelcomed Brady and truthfully, it's hurting my feelings. please stop
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Brady please do not continue to fuel any argument between yourself and @Oligarch.
    Your opinion and comments are well known.
    I suggest you leave the situation alone, and stop replying to Oligarch posts.
    Thanks.
    Hey, no fighting on my b'day ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yay! Happy birthday, dear @Germanlady! You are unique, wonderful, insightful, funny, loyal, always find and share Bond news, and a great contributor to this forum.

I hope you have a martini shaken not stirred (or whatever you actually prefer) and a phone call from DC. OK, maybe only the first one is possible. ;) But I do wish you all the best.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Hey, no fighting on my b'day ;)

It was for your honor, I assure you, milady.

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag to you, @Germanlady. <:-P

That makes you what? 25? ;;) Dan says he would love to be there, but a couple of his mates and I are hitting the town soon and well...you know how it is. Down a few drinks for us, sorry we can't be there to pick up the tab!
  • @ Oligarch Hello to you also, though i am definitely a man :-)
    Schönes Geburtstag @Germanlady martinismiley.gif.

Welcome @Oligarch and welcome back @AgentFae (and don't waste your time discussing Skull's opinions, let's just hope he's gone for good, that comment of his was the least of his offences and I'm only talking about the public ones).
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Happy B day @Germanlady <:-P
    Oligarch wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's him.
    Happy B day @Germanlady <:-P
    Oligarch wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's him.

Oh, please. Don't tell me it's him :-&
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    @ Oligarch Hello to you also, though i am definitely a man :-)

Are you sure? You should be content with your femininity. I have a transgender neighbor in the flat next door, she's a rather a nice person and doesn't bother anybody.

:))

(I promise, that's all your getting.)

Nice to see you again @AgentFae.
  • Too bad that they don't get to hear the conversations I've heard when standing behind a group of girls their age...but they'd probably just go into rage filled denial...
    *cracks up laughing* reminds me of many a conversation. And on your other point - we really need to have both sexes not buying into it. Anyway.

Also nice to see you, @Samuel001 :)

And @Sandy - you can't write something like that and not tell all.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    You missed a bit, @AgentFae, and the "thing" in question that @Sandy and all of us are referring to is MI6's worst troll, who now appears to be up to what seems to be 6 accounts now (the newest being @Oligarch ). He is an obnoxious brainwashed kiddie full of cheap conspiracy theories express from Alex Jones (also a real nut) and narcissism that makes Napoleon look modest. He keeps making new accounts until we all inevitably snuff him out and he gets banned again and again. He then returns soon afterwards under yet another new alias (usually two days after he is banned nowadays). And I think (I said THINK, mods) "it" has a new account fresh off his last ban a few weeks back and is now masquerading as a woman along with a random profile picture of a girl to try and throw us off. He missed out on a crucial detail: He can try to lie about his identity all he wants, but his bad grammar, nasty nature and sickening opinions always come up in the wash the same. Though you must understand, he isn't clever in the slightest, as he is a classic egoist. And as you probably know, seeming to be a well read intellectual, egoistic individuals crave an audience. He piddles along trying to act like he isn't who he says he is (by constantly saying he is a new member and that he has no idea what we are talking about), yet when it gets to the point that he gets sick of us flagging him and ignoring his abysmal comments he ends up outing himself in some way, shape or form that leads to yet another ban on his record. As you can wonder, it is getting quite tiresome, especially after what seems to be the 6th attempt at bat where we must once again deal with his stink as he returns to wreak more havoc. All we can do now is wait for the cycle to repeat.
  • Happy birthday German Lady! May you have 6 Vespers in celebration!