The Girls' Room

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    They are all way younger than me. ;)
    I don't know if any of our regular posters on this thread have actually seen the original UNCLE ...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would bet nearly everyone on the board has heard of it, if only for the Bond connection.
    With the new film, I guess they will have a chance to catch up. I think they will be in for a surprise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I know of U.N.C.L.E, obviously, but have never seen it and have no intention to at this time. If I ever do gain an interest in doing so I will watch the original series and avoid the new film.
    Interesting response. Why avoid the new film? Just curious.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2013 Posts: 28,694
    delfloria wrote:
    Interesting response. Why avoid the new film? Just curious.

If I was just getting into U.N.C.L.E why would I watch the newer (likely worse) film when I can see the original show? It wouldn't make sense to do otherwise. It is no secret that newer adaptions are often worse than the original, and for a whole host of reasons. Plus, newer films/shows don't interest me as much as the oldies and goodies. Modern filmmaking relies too much on retelling old stories instead of *gasp* doing something original.
    Gotcha.

For those of you not familiar with the new U.N.C.L.E. movie, here is a Facebook site that is growing by the day. Cavill plays Napoleon Solo (Named by Ian Fleming himself back when he was helping to create the TV series) and Hammer plays his partner, the mysterious Russian agent, Illya Kuryakin. The spy film takes place in the 60's and carries on the style of the Bond films of that era.

https://www.facebook.com/TheManfromUncleMovie
    So Cavill can finally be Bond lol
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    So long no see @Germanlady! How are you doing?
    Sandy wrote:
    So long no see @Germanlady! How are you doing?

I am fine, thanks. Not much to say around here for me. ;) Hope you are well.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Strangely enough, when I was very young the man from UNCLE was on tv, as a rerun no doubt. I never understood it at that age so it never felt interesting to me. I may go and see it now.
    @Sandy thanks for posting that video of Gemma. I certainly prefer her as a redhead (but that's my fav. hair colour anyway) but she certainly knows how to behave as Betty. She's quite the actress, and it seems like she had lots of fun making the video.
    British actor Henry Cavill is the famous man most British women want to “holiday” with (or vacation as we call it in the US) in the UK according to a recent poll. It should come as no surprise to anyone who knows anything about British actors. Henry flew into millions of women’s consciousness when he played the ultimate romantic superhero, Superman in Man Of Steel earlier this summer. Now he is definitely on the fairer sex’s radar as one of the hottest actors, not only in England, but elsewhere. With his dark locks, stunning blue eyes, hot body, kid-like facial expressions, and a certain kind of earnestness, which makes him irresistible to millions, it’s no wonder. His star has certainly become brighter this year. His name is not so obscure anymore. Thousands upon thousands showed up at press junkets and red carpets around the world, for premieres of Man Of Steel to get a glimpse at the stunning Brit. Henry Cavill, 30, won the Latedeals.co.uk poll hands down with 43 percent of the votes, footballer David Beckham, 38, was a close second with 42 percent, a valiant effort for the older man. Scot hunk Gerard Butler, 43, rounded up the top three with a respectable 33 percent of the ladies choosing him. One thousand women were polled. Henry is currently getting ready to start shooting The Man From U.N.C.L.E. alongside Armie Hammer. Filming is scheduled to start next month.

Oh yeah he beat out Daniel Craig so keep an eye on the newest (re-imagined) secret agent on the block, Napoleon Solo.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/920860/henry-cavill-tops-list-of-famous-men-most-women-want-to-vacation-with-photos/#HJO14uD5L8TPh9dM.99

4everbonded,

Glad to hear you were an U.N.C.L.E. fan back in the day. Hope to see you over at the "Man from UNCLE" thread.
    Of course, he tops the list. He is the new kid on the block right now. What I wonder though is, there are still women, who would touch Gerard Butler even with a pair of nippers. He is such a man whore.
    I know I wouldn't. ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2013 Posts: 7,988
    Didn't you ladies watch 'The Tudors'then? Cavill was in there too.
    My ex gf was more of a Jeremy Northam fan in that series though..
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000562/
    edited August 2013 Posts: 12,459
    @GermanLady, I haven't heard anything bad about Gerard Butler at all; please enlighten me. In a PM if you feel it shouldn't be on the thread. I have not seen much of his work; I liked him in P.S. I Love You.

Cavill honestly doesn't do anything for me, but here's to hoping he has some real charisma playing Solo.

No, I haven't seen The Tudors, @CommanderRoss, even though I can rent it here; it doesn't appeal to me, even though I like history. It looks like a period piece soap opera. Be nice if I were wrong.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 6,601
    @GermanLady, I haven't heard anything bad about Gerard Butler at all; please enlighten me. In a PM if you feel it shouldn't be on the thread. I have not seen much of his work; I liked him in P.S. I Love You.
    Its no secret - he just jumps on everything that is not on the tree fast enough. Many fans are disappointed in his atttitude, that's why I was wondering..

Oh. I never knew that. You mean he's about as subtle as Miley Cyrus. ;) (writing this as I am the day after the VMAs).

And as faithful to one partner as a rabbit? But he actually acts this out, not just fantasize about it (string of sexual conquests)

I still like his looks. But I wouldn't have thought he had that much going for him.
    You hit the nail on the head. There are TMZ vids about him making with a woman in the streets.
    Oh, Gerard Butler. I've heard stories, yes. I didn't know it was that bad 8-} There was a picture of him grabbing someone's ass on the red carpet once... what a sleazy guy.

@CommanderRoss I'm with @4EverBonded, Cavill does nothing for me. Just another pretty Hollywood boy.

Cavill honestly doesn't do anything for me, but here's to hoping he has some real charisma playing Solo.

No, I haven't seen The Tudors, @CommanderRoss, even though I can rent it here; it doesn't appeal to me, even though I like history. It looks like a period piece soap opera. Be nice if I were wrong.
    Well I don't like soaps but I loved The Tudors. It's tense, it's politics. And of course the people in real life were a bit older and not-so-good-looking, but hey, it's a tv series.

If I were you I'd try the first few episodes.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Why am I not surprised to find @CommanderRoss hanging out with the ladies? Smart man!
    Welcome back @retrokitty! So long no see!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    So good to hear from you kitty. :)
    Thanks, Sandy and NicNac....
    @Kitty! You're back!! Welcome!

and yes, you know me... ;-) How's Dan?
    @CommanderRoss... yes, it would seem that a cinematic Bondathon brought out the Bond fan in me once again and the local creatures around just don't understand like the folks here do. My coworkers think I'm a bit nuts.

The hubby is great. He's been seeing all the movies with me, some more reluctantly than others. :P
  • Under the strictest suggestion from @4EverBonded in another thread, I am making a long overdue appearance to say hello ;) Just haven't seen any recent topics here that haven't been covered elsewhere, and I have welcomed Kitty back elsewhere and via PM. Nonetheless, Sir Henry remains at his most chivalrous ready at all times to defend the honor of the ladies whenever needed :)
    retrokitty wrote:
    @CommanderRoss... yes, it would seem that a cinematic Bondathon brought out the Bond fan in me once again and the local creatures around just don't understand like the folks here do. My coworkers think I'm a bit nuts.

The hubby is great. He's been seeing all the movies with me, some more reluctantly than others. :P

Well in that case I can only hope your Bondathon will have the same effect on him as it has on you ;-)

Great to have you back! And yes, I guess they're right, those co-workers of you. That's what makes places like this tick: people who are a bit nuts.

Personally, I'd go for the cashews and Pistacho's...
    I figured you for a chestnuts kinda guy actually, @CommanderRoss.