The Girls' Room

Comments

• edited August 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Germanlady wrote:
    Maybe because its a mans world here and I am a woman

Cmon now, that has nothing to do with this.

Maybe - maybe not. But that is not what this is really all about. That is very secondary.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    @Germanlady, I think you are letting all this eat at you too much. The thoughtless demeanors of a few members who want a little attention or wish to stir things up aren't worth even talking about. You are a fine member here, and have never given issue. Just pretend they don't exist, and move on past it. I have had to do this many times in the past, and now it is all out of my hair. It has nothing to do with some kind of sexist agenda, I assure you. This is MI6 after all, where all the mods are wonderful people dedicated to their position, and I for one haven't heard even the slightest utterance of hatred against another since I have been a member. I don't know how anyone can call this a "man's world", considering that women have had an increased role in the presidential cabinet, sometimes being the majority of advisors, and women are employed in some of the greatest fields of study like scientists/analysts, lawyers, doctors/psychologists, and more. Like I said: Don't let it get you down, because you're better than them.
    @Brady - thanks - but IMO putting an end to this sort of behaviour from the start is better then sitting it out. But maybe that is just me...

Oh no, I just meant this forum is a mans world with only 3 posting females here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    @Brady - thanks - but IMO putting an end to this sort of behaviour from the start is better then sitting it out. But maybe that is just me...

Oh no, I just meant this forum is a mans world with only 3 posting females here.
    No matter how much you try to change things, there will always be one bad apple. That is the way of the world, but I am sure I don't have to point that out to you. There are way more than 3 women posting here as well. They may not be very active at times, but they are out there.
    Germanlady wrote:

No matter how much you try to change things, there will always be one bad apple. That is the way of the world, but I am sure I don't have to point that out to you. There are way more than 3 women posting here as well. They may not be very active at times, but they are out there.

I get, what you are saying, but in my experience, sometimes making an effort (even more so, when it is something more important then this) CAN make a difference and during all the years I have been on fan boards, I have seen, you can change things in pointing them out. There isn't anything more you can do -. that is true, but that you can. Does it always work? No, of course not...but sometimes is a good enough quote for me.
    This is exactly, what I mean. Why is somebody allowed to use this sort of language towards others? Again and again, I might add...its a bad example of forum behaviour and if allowed and backed up, others will come and join in...
    Getafix wrote:
    Can't believe it has taken me so long to find the promised land of a Dalton appreciation thread. Feels like 40 years of wandering in a desert of Brossites and deluded Craig fans is finally over and I have found home!

• edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    This is exactly, what I mean. Why is somebody allowed to use this sort of language towards others? Again and again, I might add...its a bad example of forum behaviour and if allowed and backed up, others will come and join in...
    Getafix wrote:
    Can't believe it has taken me so long to find the promised land of a Dalton appreciation thread. Feels like 40 years of wandering in a desert of Brossites and deluded Craig fans is finally over and I have found home!

I think that post was tongue in cheek, not meant to be taken really seriously (and I'm a Brosnan fan).
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I think that post was tongue in cheek, not meant to be taken really seriously (and I'm a Brosnan fan).

Sorry, royale, but that is wishful thinking,.its not the first time and I doubt, this can be seen as harmless humour. Or were his recent nazi remarks funny, too?

But IF indeed my post is discussed, I don't want to make it a Getafix subject. Its about this type of poster in general. He is just the most prominent right now, nothing more.

Ignore them and they will go on for as long as they are allowed to - until they are banned,, everybody, who dislikes their posts (and I know, I am not the onlyone) have to bare with it and IMO, its the people themselvesm, who should moderate their fellow members and being less afraid of debates would help a great deal. Its not as bad as having these people hijack every thread they choose.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @GermanLady No the nazi comments were taking things too far. But things like the post you quoted don't bother me that much, it's just tongue in cheek. When he says how terrible Brosnan was over and over, that annoys me, but if it's just a little joke like the one you quoted I don't care.

And I think he likes Craig.
    ..and why do you allow him to annoy you over Brosnan - over and over again? Do you think, he displays any respect for you with doing this? I don't think so - he steps over you and you just step back and pat his shoulder.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    ..and why do you allow him to annoy you over Brosnan - over and over again? Do you think, he displays any respect for you with doing this? I don't think so - he steps over you and you just step back and pat his shoulder.

I don't allow it, I've had a go at him for it before. But little things like the post you quoted don't bother me.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I think the objective of some of the members in here is to annoy the biggest possible amount of other members. "Feeding" them just makes it worse, they have thirst for attention, of any kind. In real live it is easier to take care of them >:) So I say be superior! Don't give some people the importance they don't have.
    I know, this is the way to deal with it in normal life, but IMO, it doesn't work here-I still feel the opposite apllies for the net. I think, to make it clear from the beginning, that this is not the way to do it here, is best and doesn't give them the space, they enjoy now and use to play their little game.

From the reactions here and the general mood i expect this to be a lost case, but it still feels good to very clearly question those people and the way we deal with them. Thanks for the fair answers though...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Sandy wrote:
    I think the objective of some of the members in here is to annoy the biggest possible amount of other members. "Feeding" them just makes it worse, they have thirst for attention, of any kind. In real live it is easier to take care of them >:) So I say be superior! Don't give some people the importance they don't have.

I so agree with this. Some derive pleasure from creating discord and meanspiritedness. I try to ignore as much as possible, but sometimes one has to say something. It is just not okay after all.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Germanlady wrote:
    I know, this is the way to deal with it in normal life, but IMO, it doesn't work here-I still feel the opposite apllies for the net. I think, to make it clear from the beginning, that this is not the way to do it here, is best and doesn't give them the space, they enjoy now and use to play their little game.

From the reactions here and the general mood i expect this to be a lost case, but it still feels good to very clearly question those people and the way we deal with them. Thanks for the fair answers though...

@Germanlady, I have not been on these boards very long, and I don't think you and I have ever exchanged comments, but I haven't noticed all that many occasions where people have gone out of their way to cause trouble for others. There have been one or two occasions where things have got a little heated because of some people's extreme views and stances on a subject, but to be fair, this is the same of any board on the internet. I think this place is rather friendly compared to somewhere like IMDb or something like that. I can see your point, but are things really that bad?
    People like this aren't worth the trouble. Don't give them the attention, don't feed them what they are yearning for: replies and controversy. People like those you mentioned, and you know who I am talking about, are sometimes hard to pin down as to what they truly believe after they seem to have an ever-changing opinion about everything under the sun. Regardless, I have no idea what these Nazi comments being referred to are, though I have been more absent than usual over this time...
    Have I missed something, what's the furore about
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If you have problems with a fellow member you should either contact a member of the moderating team or flag the offending post for their attention.
    The moderators cannot be expected to read every single post made, but without being alerted to issues / problems it is hard to sort matters out.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Thanks for letting that be known, @Benny. @Germanlady seems to be very effected by this than most would be.
    I had a quick look through, and I can't fully ascertain what the issue is here. Would it be too much to ask, to ask someone to elaborate, in the simplest terms, seems like a sensitive issue
    @Benny - like I sid, members coud and should moderate themselves for most of the time for the reasons, you mentioned. IMO those really annoying ones are let off too easily - so they continue.

@Baltimore - this thread and conversation is almost over, so excuse me for not going into detail now again. And obvioously, people feel I am exaggerating anyway, so its not worth the trouble.

@Brady - those people DON'T HAVE an opinion, like I said, apart from their dislike of someone/something.

I have tried to take this away from the personal level and make it a general issue about how to better - IMO - deal with certain posters. I just based it on my own experiences and thoughts.

The ONE thing, that REALLY bothers me though is, that I was branded DC's mother hen for defending him, which in a way legalises the attacks, but brands the defence as unneccesary and unwelcome. This stinks, I am sorry to say. Kickerikiiii!!!!

Thanks for listening and a good Sunday to all.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2012 Posts: 10,512
    @Germanlady I think you've been branded DC's mother hen as 99% of your posts are DC or Skyfall related. I think this annoys people. I'm not fussed personally but what I will say is, you're walking a fine line when you talk of having people banned. It's odd you've taken to singling out @Getafix. There are people on this board who talk utter shit, I think @Getafix has some good points though, I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but a lot if it is considered. He can be forthright but he's got as much right as you to be here. No offence but I think you need to lighten up.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Re-opening this thread.

But please try not to treat it as a forum for voicing criticisms or concerns about the behaviour of other members. We can deal with some of these issues from behind the scenes.
    Thanks Nic - we will give it back its original purpose. :)

The first glas of wine is on me...
    Great! The girls room is back martinismiley.gif
    It was about time, let's get back on track!
  • Glad to see the girls back in business :)
    Glad to see the girls back in business :)

Good to see you here @SirHenry, I think I speak for all the girls here, you are always welcome in our humble home :)
    I just deleted my writing by accident. Most likely a sign to go to bed, which is what i will do now. Glad to be back though .
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Sandy wrote:
    Great! The girls room is back martinismiley.gif
    It was about time, let's get back on track!

Ah let's pop some bubbly together, Sandy and GL. I hope for real some day!
    And where do you get these fun emoticons, Sandy? That's not one I can click on here, is it? I didn't see it ...