The Girls' Room

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Dear Sandy, GermanLady, and everyone: Just to say, I so enjoy this site and forum. Yet I am going on hiatus this weekend (Oct. 21st). I am getting 2 film reviews in for The Originals thread (TLD and LTK) - then it's cold turkey blackout for me. I really don't want to have Skyfall spoiled for me because I know too much about the plot, or have heard too much dialog, before I see it. And good luck to me with that because my boss (of all people) is now quoting Skyfall to me (from the trailer)! He's originally from Devon. Amusing for him and so far amusing for me, but hopefully he will not give me unknown info about the film. (He has so enjoyed saying "Take the bloody shot!" to me, several times; and trying to use Javier's accent, too, which on him has come out a bit like a Scot - pretty funny, actually). :)

So here is my next to last whine about the timing of Skyfall opening in Japan: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh! December 1st. Have a luverly and fun Oct/November everyone, with practically everyone on here seeing Skyfall before me. And it seems like it might be a real gem. I can't wait! (but I have to ... life is so difficult at times; sigh ...). :-w

By the way, I still want to find the Bond fragrance and get some to give as a gift (or two), especially after you said it was really good, Sandy. I'll let you know later if I am successful.

Anyway, cheers to all! Skyfall is nearly here ! :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bye, @4EverBonded. I think I speak for everyone when I say you will be missed. I will have to leave here soon in a bit too, and it just kills me. But like you said, you have to do what you have to do.
    Hi 4ever - sad indeed. Dunno - I somehow manage to stay and still not spoil stuff for me. But I respect your decision. So - see you in a while and hopefully we will be talking about a great success. :-h Take Care
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @4EverBonded, we will miss you! I hoped there was a way for you to stay :) But time passes fast and you'll be back with a bang sooner than later ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thanks! I appreciate the kind send-off, everyone. :)
    I just put up my review for License to Kill (love Dalton, really don't like the movie) and will get The Living Daylights in tomorrow. (for The Originals thread) Then I am off. Time flies, so I hope I will join you about Dec. 9th with cheers and a ringing success for Skyfall. Take care, everyone! I'll miss this forum and I will definitely be back as soon as I can.
  • I keep coming back but know I shouldn't; I figure that my time here will be on hiatus in a few days myself. There are three things that I read as the titles of threads that *point* towards spoilers but are not spoilers themselves. Of course, now I can't stop myself from guessing or making assumptions about plot points which is already too much for me...

See you in a few weeks!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    So long all who are leaving us for a while. You'll be back soon enough but keep safe and do your best to occupy yourselves while you count down to Skyfall wherever you are.
    Going twice on friday - once on my own so i can watch the film in piece - going in jeans and shirt. And again in evening - boys night out all in suits \:D/
    This sounds like a really good idea. Enjoy :)
    Germanlady wrote:
    This sounds like a really good idea. Enjoy :)

This is what I call my xmas week - everything in my life is taking second fiddle. Hoping on meeting sir Roger on Monday ending with the film Friday. Hopefully take some photo's on the Sony experia T as the week goes on
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,012
    Tania Roberts in AVTAK makeup tutorial at Pixiwoo:
    [url]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oSKUD3a5uBo?version=3&hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/oSKUD3a5uBo?version=3&hl=pt_PT"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/url]
  • Those are so awesome, but unfortunately I have no makeup skills whatsoever.

I did pick up some of the Bond-themed OPI nailpolish though. Haven't tried them out yet.
    Xenia Onatopp makeup tutorial! This is the one I tried countless times at home, with my moms makeup, as an early teen. I still think it's one of the best makeup styles of all Bond girls :)
    [url]<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/pBc0-1xuplo?version=3&hl=pt_PT"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/pBc0-1xuplo?version=3&hl=pt_PT"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/url]

@jackdagger try out just for fun, even if it's just to take it off afterwards ;) Still haven't seen the OPI polishes for sale but here they are crazy expensive! It's nonsense because in the US they are not expensive at all :-??
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Did anyone else dress up to see Skyfall?

tuxedo-3482.gif
  • I just wore my 007 t-shirt. I would've done something more fun, but I didn't go to the premiere, I went the day after. I did paint a union jack with nailpolish on one of my thumbs, though. XD
    jackdagger wrote:
    I just wore my 007 t-shirt. I would've done something more fun, but I didn't go to the premiere, I went the day after. I did paint a union jack with nailpolish on one of my thumbs, though. XD
    It was a pretty nice day so I went in dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes and a tie. I got so many looks that it was unnerving. I don't know why it is seen as odd to dress yourself up once in a while. I wish we lived in times where everyone dressed up day after day. Ah well.
  • jackdagger wrote:
    I just wore my 007 t-shirt. I would've done something more fun, but I didn't go to the premiere, I went the day after. I did paint a union jack with nailpolish on one of my thumbs, though. XD

Subtle nods, like the film itself... ;-)

My girlfriend was a *little* dressed up as she just came from work. I was wearing my Barbour jacket (same one Bond wears at Skyfall manor) but the funny thing was I didn't think about it when I put it on...it's just been my go-to outwear for the last while due to the weather.

No-one in tuxedos or evening gowns like when I went to the premiere of DAD!

In Germany we are not into dressing up - unfortunately.
    @Lord - I thougt this jacket was particularly cool.
  • Germanlady wrote:

It is quite simply one of the best made, most useful pieces of clothing that I've ever worn (they removed a lot of the "extras" so it looked better in the film). Lots of compliments on it before the film came out; I had two coworkers text me on the weekend to tell me "OMG Bond is wearing your jacket!"

The funny thing is, I bought a shirt from Zara for $19 last Boxing Day (actually, I bought 3) and it turns out it's the blue one that Bond wears when he's "enjoying death". Who knew you could live the Bond Lifestyle for so cheap! I wish I'd known it was in the film; I'd have bought every one and sold them on ebay!
    Germanlady wrote:

It is quite simply one of the best made, most useful pieces of clothing that I've ever worn (they removed a lot of the "extras" so it looked better in the film). Lots of compliments on it before the film came out; I had two coworkers text me on the weekend to tell me "OMG Bond is wearing your jacket!"

The funny thing is, I bought a shirt from Zara for $19 last Boxing Day (actually, I bought 3) and it turns out it's the blue one that Bond wears when he's "enjoying death". Who knew you could live the Bond Lifestyle for so cheap! I wish I'd known it was in the film; I'd have bought every one and sold them on ebay!

Funny story about the shirts! That jacket is so cool, good choice ;)

I did dress up a little bit, not too much because I went during day time. Funny enough I wore a blouse I usually refer to as Moneypenny, because it's flowery and has a bow (don't be shocked, it doesn't look like something Louis Maxwell would wear back in the day, in fact it's quite fashionable) with skinny jeans and knee-high boots.

@Germanlady I have noticed that unfortunately most Germans don't usually care much (or nothing at all) about what clothes they put on.
    Thought I'd stop by and recuperate this thread. Our favourite boys are welcome to join us (you know who you are), @Germanlady has been a bit away but I hope she will still grace this thread every once in a while, hopefully soon the much missed @4EverBonded will be back and there's a new girl in town, @Regan you are welcome to join us if you want to.

I don't have a subject to suggest so say whatever crosses your minds.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 173
    Thanks for that @Sandy! What a great thread... I was wondering whether us girls had our own little corner here and I'm delighted to see that's the case. Loving the beauty tips and the OPI posts a few pages back.

Just as a little sidenote, I have bought all of the OPI Skyfall collection and the colors are simply gorgeous. I'm wearing The Living Daylights over Moonraker as I type. If you guys can get a hold of these colors, I'd strongly recommend it. I have swatches I might post a bit later.
  • Did anyone else dress up to see Skyfall?

tuxedo-3482.gif

Well I wore my Aston Martin T shirt, so, sort of Bond.
    I didn't dress up no... Harry Potter and Star Wars are the only movies people dress up for here...
    @Regan yes, this is our room, but some boys are allowed. Good to know you liked it. I've ranted before how expensive OPI is in Europe but I was tempted to buy a couple of the Bond ones (Live and Let Die looks intriguing). I was in another city a couple of weeks ago and I saw them being sold but didn't buy any because I thought I would find them where I'm living (same shop). Ended up not finding them :-w saved me some money I must confess.

An Aston T-shirt is more than appropriate @thelivingroyale.
    Sandy wrote:
    @Regan yes, this is our room, but some boys are allowed. Good to know you liked it. I've ranted before how expensive OPI is in Europe but I was tempted to buy a couple of the Bond ones (Live and Let Die looks intriguing). I was in another city a couple of weeks ago and I saw them being sold but didn't buy any because I thought I would find them where I'm living (same shop). Ended up not finding them :-w saved me some money I must confess.

An Aston T-shirt is more than appropriate @thelivingroyale.

(Brace yourself boys, nothing says "girly" like talking nail polish. Here I go.)

LALD is a beautiful color, sort of a deep dark green with golden flecks. On all the nail blogs I've visited it seems to be the winner so if you ever come across the collection again I'd say this is a must have.

The other standouts are:

- Goldeneye, which is a burnt gold-orangey color that looks like a million bucks on your nails.

- OHMSS is also a winner.

- I'd say TLD is also a must have just because it's such a unique glitter.

- Personally I also love YOLT (a raspberry gold color).

The ones that are a tad too common and you're not missing out on are SF, CR, DAD and MR which is just a silver color with a really horrible runny formula. Low points for TWINE as well (too sheer and kind of dull in certain lighting).

I'd recommend you get them from ebay, which is how I got them. OPI is excessively expensive in South America and shipping fees included, it was still cheaper ordering from ebay.
    I confess a slight addiction to nail polish :-\" nothing serious, I've been behaving myself surprisingly well the past few months. I have the same opinion concerning the other colours @Regan, I will be keeping an eye for the collection. One of my best friends lives in the US and I was planning to ask her to send me some but she just had a baby so that's a no-go. I will be checking ebay, thanks for the tip. By the way where do you live?
    You and I share that slight addiction then :P. Actually, I was doing pretty well until OPI announced this collection. The minute I saw them I just had to have them. You're welcome about the ebay thing, let me know how it goes and if there's anything I can help you with :).

I live in Peru, by the way. We get OPI but it costs more than twice as much! Where do you live?
    Regan wrote:
    You and I share that slight addiction then :P. Actually, I was doing pretty well until OPI announced this collection. The minute I saw them I just had to have them. You're welcome about the ebay thing, let me know how it goes and if there's anything I can help you with :).

I live in Peru, by the way. We get OPI but it costs more than twice as much! Where do you live?

OPI also costs twice as much here. Peru, how interesting! I live in Germany, but I'm Portuguese.
    Sandy wrote:
    OPI also costs twice as much here. Peru, how interesting! I live in Germany, but I'm Portuguese.

That's so neat, so I assume you speak both languages pretty well. I live in Peru but I'm actually Honduran (Central America). It's a very small country right on the Caribbean sea. Interesting that we're both foreigners where we live.