No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 4,023
    If they can get the spycraft in the movie half as good as the spycraft in the making of the movie, they’ll end up with a good film.
    I guess having Purvis and Wade back on writing duties surprises no one. They'll probably be able to pen a script in time for shooting, and know what EON wants. Would love for the producers to choose someone else, but that was probably unlikely given how things turned out with Boyle and Hodge.

One day I hope EON let Anthony Horowitz write a script. He's done two Bond continuation novels already, and he's done script writing for TV and film before. Looks like he's writing the upcoming Tintin film as well, The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun - directed by Peter Jackson.

Horowitz would probably do a decent job. Be hard to find any other writer he seems to understand Fleming as well as he does.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. We can only hope Purvis and Wade will bring something decent to the table, but I'm more curious about what Boyle/Hodge were working on that will now not be finished (in it's intended form)/used.
    I’m fine with this there only two real stinkers (die another day and Spectre) were not their fault so I am very happy with this
    I can see why EoN would want to play safe now and stick with Purvis and Wade.

Maybe the two of them could collaborate with Horowitz going forward. Then there could be the possibility of his novels being the basis of future movies.
    vzok wrote: »
    I can see why EoN would want to play safe now and stick with Purvis and Wade.

Maybe the two of them could collaborate with Horowitz going forward. Then there could be the possibility of his novels being the basis of future movies.

That would be really fantastic!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm all for Horowitz on scripting duties or at least writing a draft.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Not surprising that Eon have gone back to Purvis and Wade (in fact, the Mirror already reported this).

gettyimages-633097556.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C475

What is surprising is the news that Eon want to go back to their concept. Which is most unusual. This surely adds more fuel to the fire that Bond 25 will be delayed to 2020? Especially as Craig is busying himself with other projects, and other studios close in on the November 2019 date.

For me the real confirmation of 2020 is the fact that no director has been announced. Eon have lost a month of pre-production time looking for a helmer….

I suspect we'll get a director announcement alongside a new date in the new year.
  • Hardly surprising, but....Bamigboye reporting Purvis and Wade are (again) working on Bond 25. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6166379/Spymaster-writing-duo-rescue-new-Bond-film-director-Danny-Boyle-walked-out.html

Bit disappointing but if that's what it takes to get the film out on time, fair enough. I don't hate them, they've got a decent track record imo, they've written some great Bond films. But fresh talent would have been nice, a new take on things. Least they're reliable though.

What's interesting is how it says they're going back to their treatment, which we all assumed would have been a Spectre sequel. Whether it is or not, how can they do that if work had already started on Hodge's film (sets being built and all that)? Just scrap it and start again?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Hardly surprising, but....Bamigboye reporting Purvis and Wade are (again) working on Bond 25. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6166379/Spymaster-writing-duo-rescue-new-Bond-film-director-Danny-Boyle-walked-out.html
    This is a nightmare.
    It doesn't fill me with enthusiasm or joy, that's for sure.

The reporting on this hasn't really been consistent so it's difficult to ascertain where the real truth lies. I think most will agree that the initial impression that they conveyed was that Boyle was doing a new treatment (semantics about what 'original' means aside). After all, the dynamic duo's names weren't even mentioned for the May announcement (and they could readily have been included), even though they were noted for the July 2017 one.

I suppose a 'delay' at this stage will be dependent on whether they have their director (at least in principle, even if not formally announced for whatever reason).
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    EoN really need to detach themselves from Purvis and Wade. Seriously.
    Why? Purvis and Wade are seemingly the only writers who actually know Fleming very well. Of course they also write according to demands from producers or directors, so we can´t blame them alone for some content. If they lack in certain areas, have the script polished by someone else. But I see no reason to drop P&W altogether.

Why? Because they're stale. I don't care how much Fleming they know, the fact is since they've come on board they've pretty much recycled the same tired tropes for every film. I doubt they're the only writer's on the planet that know Fleming. EoN need to step outside their comfort zone, pony up and really look and invest in committed writers who can more importantly tell a gripping spy story. Purvis and Wade fail for the most part in this regard and them knowing all there is about Fleming obviously isn't helping matters. What they've written is nothing that any competent script writer couldn't have done. EoN need to detach from those guys and really invest in better writers.

How do you know that Purvis and Wade aren't constantly writing their scripts within the constraints (the tropes you mention) put on them by Eon itself? Chances are that's exactly what happens, in the main. Plus, most of the Bond scripts in which they've been involved have been kicked-off by them and polished by others or ends up a result of their own contractually-obliged on-set rewrites, meaning what ends up on the screen isn't often what P&W originally envisaged.

Fundamentally, screenwriters aren't solely - or often even primarily - responsible for the regurgitation we all experience in the storytelling of modern blockbusters. In the end, it's the people who put up the cash who are most responsible. Because it's their money that's being spent and they're the ones who hire and fire - so it's them who put demands on everyone creative who works beneath them (directors included, of course).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,588
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hardly surprising, but....Bamigboye reporting Purvis and Wade are (again) working on Bond 25. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6166379/Spymaster-writing-duo-rescue-new-Bond-film-director-Danny-Boyle-walked-out.html
    This is a nightmare.
    The reporting on this hasn't really been consistent so it's difficult to ascertain where the real truth lies.
    Agreed. I'm not taking anything with regards to the Hodge/P&W scripts as fact until it's confirmed as to which one they end up using. It seems bizarre that the duo have supposedly been hired to re-write their original treatment from last year, as opposed to tweaking the controversial bits of Hodge's draft. Surely two months isn't enough time to write an adequate original script?
    What a farce. EON should be sacked!
  • RC7RC7
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    What a farce. EON should be sacked!

Can you sack yourself?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 260
    P&W have done a pretty serviceable job on the balance, and have had a couple pretty good ones. I don't have any issue with them coming back,
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    vzok wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

And in the category of least possibly surprising Bond 25 news...

I just hope that a) the script is already in very good shape, and/or that b) P&W have sufficient time to make it good.

Well EON do seem to take a lifetime to put these films out these days. But I suspect even that isn't long enough for P+W to pull together a decent script. I don't think they have it in them. Their writing is tired, cliched and boring.

But this time they are working off of Boyle’s great idea?

Latest news is that they're developing their treatment - that was made before Boyle - into a script. But I find it hard to believe they're goin to completely scrap Hodge's work.

The latest article also says that this "new" script by P&W will be then further developed when a director will come aboard. Which is standard procedure.

When a director is hired onto a developed project, they always have their pass over the script - often with their own preferred writer, but not always. So that's standard.

We have had mixed messages regarding the script, some saying Hodge's draft was partially based on the P&W draft or treatment, others suggesting not. If not, and P&W are now turning their treatment into a script, then I suspect there will be a delay, however if, as Baz's article states, the P&W treatment was already signed off, then that must have been a very advanced and detailed treatment, so the actual scripting will be a faster process. As soon as a director is announced, more news will come out, I'm sure.

Yep it's pretty obvious that when they'll hire the director the script will be polished again.

Back in the days Skyfall was meant to be P&W last contribution to the franchise. 6 years later they're still here. Plus, there's even a chance that B25 it's goin to be the first movie since Die Another Day credited solely to them.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    This is a nightmare.
    The reporting on this hasn't really been consistent so it's difficult to ascertain where the real truth lies.
    Agreed. I'm not taking anything with regards to the Hodge/P&W scripts as fact until it's confirmed as to which one they end up using. It seems bizarre that the duo have supposedly been hired to re-write their original treatment from last year, as opposed to tweaking the controversial bits of Hodge's draft. Surely two months isn't enough time to write an adequate original script?
    I also noticed in Baz's piece that the dispute revolved around Craig and Broccoli wanting to involve another writer, which Boyle/Hodge apparently objected to. I can understand this because I think it was clear from the start that these two wanted to have some (a lot of) control, no matter how impractical that is on a production of this sort.

Now they are supposedly bringing back the original duo after all - the ones upon whose base the Hodge/Boyle script was (at least based on retcon announcements arguably on par with Brothergate) supposedly based.

One wonders if they were the writers that Boyle/Hodge didn't want involved, perhaps fearing the Logan SP debacle, where reporting indicated that they were called into repair things. These guys, for better or worse, seem to be fixers as much as they are the go-to team.
    On the bright side, does this mean we could possibly have a Shatterhand/YOLT scenario, finally?
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Why? Purvis and Wade are seemingly the only writers who actually know Fleming very well. Of course they also write according to demands from producers or directors, so we can´t blame them alone for some content. If they lack in certain areas, have the script polished by someone else. But I see no reason to drop P&W altogether.

Why? Because they're stale. I don't care how much Fleming they know, the fact is since they've come on board they've pretty much recycled the same tired tropes for every film. I doubt they're the only writer's on the planet that know Fleming. EoN need to step outside their comfort zone, pony up and really look and invest in committed writers who can more importantly tell a gripping spy story. Purvis and Wade fail for the most part in this regard and them knowing all there is about Fleming obviously isn't helping matters. What they've written is nothing that any competent script writer couldn't have done. EoN need to detach from those guys and really invest in better writers.

I, personally, can’t wait for a plot of Bond going rogue, MI6 in crisis, and This Time It’s Personal™️ . It will be so fresh and original.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    MooreFun wrote: »

I, personally, can’t wait for a plot of Bond going rogue, MI6 in crisis, and This Time It’s Personal™️ . It will be so fresh and original.
    =)) Make that two!
    One wonders if they were the writers that Boyle/Hodge didn't want involved, perhaps fearing the Logan SP debacle, where reporting indicated that they were called into repair things. These guys, for better or worse, seem to be fixers as much as they are the go-to team.

This time they're no fixers. They're developing a script based on their own (already well developed) treatment. I didn't expect that, given the fact that Skyfall was meant to be their last Bond and that in Spectre they were called late in the game just to re-write the third act.
    matt_u wrote: »

This time they're no fixers. They're developing a script based on their own (already well developed) treatment. I didn't expect that, given the fact that Skyfall was meant to be their last Bond and that in Spectre they were called late in the game just to re-write the third act.
    True. There does appear to be some differences this time around, at least based on what we are learning as of now.
  • Baz has confirmed that he is unsure if the film has been delayed yet...

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    They really shouldn’t have sacked Boyle. This hw made a problem 10 times as big

They didn’t he quit he walked away how many times do you have to hear it before you believe it
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    OwenDavian wrote: »

I joined 6 years ago (and have been lurking a lot recently) you joined last month....why does post count matter? And for some reason I'm not seeing posts I made so I'm not intentionally double posting.
    Risico007 wrote: »

They didn’t he quit he walked away how many times do you have to hear it before you believe it

The question remains, was it the right thing for Boyle to do...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I still don't think there's anything new to this piece-- @Colonel has said for weeks that the script was still moving ahead; the only difference now is P&W is now, supposedly, working from a treatment of theirs.

However, I'm certain that, originally, it was reported that P&W had actually handed in a script before Hodge came on board (for him then to polish this script, while massaging in a golden idea).

We know EoN has been looking for a new director.

This is kind of just reporting on stuff that was brought to our attention weeks ago.

As far as a delay, I think the expectation is a delay in shooting, but the release dates will be met.

However, as the Colonel suggested today: if a director is hired and s/he wants more work to be done-- then yes, expect that delay.

But until that happens, it's safe to assume that EoN, MGM, Universal want this out on the dates they reserved-- if they thought this target was impossible to hit, they would have already called for a delay (with or without a director).

As Colonel has said before: EoN gets cagey at times like this, so I'm taking a very passive acceptance of what we've known for quite a while:

1/the script's still moving ahead as reported week and weeks ago
    2/the search for a director is still active
    3/if the Powers-That-Be thought the release dates were impossible to hit, they would have pulled the plug and made the announcement already. But that time is not yet here.
    4/Speculation on my part: if number 3 is remotely true, I'd gather that the director they're looking for would be agreeable to the release deadlines.
    Risico007 wrote: »

The question remains, was it the right thing for Boyle to do...
    I'm not sure if we can ever answer that question. The differences were apparently irreconcilable. Boyle perhaps felt that his and Hodge's artistic vision was about to be compromised and couldn't accept that. There is an artistic integrity in such an approach, even if it's somewhat impractical.

He was always going to be a bit of a risk and a wild card, and I assume (hope) the producers and the actor who apparently brought him in realized that. If not, they arguably should have. It was a roll of the dice. Them's the breaks.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    peter wrote: »
    I still don't think there's anything new to this piece-- @Colonel has said for weeks that the script was still moving ahead; the only difference now is P&W is now, supposedly, working from a treatment of theirs.

Well, if confirmed this is huge difference. At least to me the common feeling was that EoN was goin to polish and work on Hodge's script, not goin 100% back to P&W first treatment.

Given the fact that when a director will come aboard they'll need some extra re-work on the script - unless they hire someone just to shout "action"! on set - maybe the best option would be a director able to take charge of all the extra writing duties.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Once again, just piecing together what we've pretty much known for weeks:

1/P&W write a script.
    2/Boyle and Hodge come aboard to polish that script with a new idea that's massaged into this script.
    3/The producers want polishers to polish this draft.
    4/B&H bolt
    5/The hunt for a new director
    6/P&W's back on board. I find it hard to believe they're going back to a page one re-write. It makes no sense at all.
    7/Speculation: if the producers, MGM, Universal didn't think they could hit their target dates, they would have pulled the plug-- giving them breathing room, and no rush to find a director.
    8/But they haven't pulled the plug, and they are making great efforts to hire their new director.
    9/More Speculation: if they haven't pulled the plug because all of the Powers on this film (including the new distributors), think they can hit release dates, I assume they will hire a director who is also agreeable to these deadlines.
    10/they don't find an agreeable director, they now can't hit target dates, they pull the plug, and revamp their search for a director and carve out a new release date.

Just from a pure business perspective I'd imagine that MGM/Universal want this film out on the previously announced date. MGM in particular need the revenues. There is consequently a financial impetus to get it out there and for it to be successful. That's why I have always been reasonably confident that they would do what they have to do in order to try and meet that date.

What impact that will have on the ultimate creative and artistic vision remains to be seen. Boyle was arguably a victim of these two elements being in some conflict.