No Time To Die: Production Diary

1176117621764176617672563

Comments



  • The Matrix Reloaded had a fantastic score.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Craig in SP just pouts the whole way through..his perfomance is arrogant,cocky,never bleeds,lazy......just like the whole film...its cashing in on SF ,which demeans SF for the so much better film it is.,and the viewer .
  • I generally like Craig, but I certainly wouldn't call his acting subtle or even particularly deep. And when he's less engaged in the material, he comes off like a mobile wax figure.
  • Posts: 5,808
    MooreFun wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

    I don't agree with this, Craig has undoubtedly given Bond a more layered portrayal than a good number of actors in the role, especially Brosnan. I think his acting is just too subtle for some, the quiet torment of his performance is in his body language and eyes.

    Brosnan has none of this and rarely showed any conflict in his portrayal, it was quite one dimensional and he only attempted to add depth rarely and when he did it was quite embarassing. You might not hate Craig but you have a real problem with him being referred to as highly as he is.

    Craig is the one actor that has not had all the tropes to portray the character until SPECTRE, I'd like to see what Brosnan would have done without the safety net of all the tick the box moments of the series, without that greatest hits direction they took with him from TND onwards.

    They did try something different with him for GE but obviously didn't feel comfortable so just went to default setting and just churned out substandard Roger Moore entries and never asked him to stretch himself much.

    Fair enough if you want something very familiar with no gear changes but some of us wanted something different and Craig delivered a layered portrayal that tapped into a lot of what Fleming wrote. Also Craig has played different aspects to the character he just doesn't do it with all the subtelty of a sledgehammer.

    I'm sick to death of hearing people say Craig is stone faced and has no change in the character it's there it's just not sign posted for you or put up on the screen screaming at you in block capitials.

    Ah yes, the old "If you don't like it, it's because you're too stupid to grasp it.

    The funny thing is, I could say a lot of people miss Brosnan's depth, but I wouldn't call them stupid for doing so.

    @Shardlake is not calling anyone stupid-- I know this guy, and he is NOT saying you, me , or anyone is stupid. He's made a thesis that right now DC is being beaten up by false reports in the media, one weaker film, more slanderous and unsubstantiated reports in the media... and, he rightly suggests, GE presented a fresh Bond, but they decided to default to Moore-lite for the rest of the PB era.

    I agree, but I also believe the reason they went backwards with Brosnan is because of his ability-- he wasn't a complex Bond like Dalton, he was the Cali-Bond (with an accent to match). It's my opinion that he could not stretch far enough to give varied performances (as someone who posted TAFFIN showed-- or watching his dramatic scenes in Bond and beyond...)....

    Shardlake was not being offensive. He has a clear point. Don't twist this into something it's not-- there's too much of that on this forum.

    Best,

    P
  • This thread should be renamed FYEO vs. Raiders / Craig/SP Bashing Production Diary
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 9,142
    SP Bashing would do it. But that would lend itself to repetition to properly represent other discussions.

    So no, probably shouldn't do that after all.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe "I need a year off" Craig
    Posts: 7,305
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I generally like Craig, but I certainly wouldn't call his acting subtle or even particularly deep. And when he's less engaged in the material, he comes off like a mobile wax figure.

    Very true. I have nothing against Craig or his fans. I just can't stand the hyperbole and arrogance, to suggest he is simply better than the other actors who played Bond? Not "my favourite", but "the best". If he's definitely the best, then why does he struggle to step out side his comfort zone, with results like SP? Roger Moore always played Bond for laughs, but when he was called upon to play a scene "straight", he could do it more than convincingly. It wasn't his strength, but he could still pull it off. I don't get the sense that Craig can pull off the comedic, or ladies man Bond. He can only do broken Bond well, or up and comer (CR). This is not necessarily a knock against him, that's fine, it just annoys me to hear arrogant hyperbole about how he the best ever, without ever feeling the need to back a statement like that up. I don't hate Craig, I just appreciate what the other actors brought to the role too. I also think that Bond 25 would be better off without him, as the directors like Chris Nolan will all be waiting to direct a Bond soft-reboot. No one want to be the guy to close out the Craig era, four years after the lacklustre SP. EON dug themselves into a hole here, no one else, and the only director they'll be able to find for this thing will be someone hungry enough, and desperate enough for a big job. Not the directors that have a pile of scripts to pick and choose through. Some might say this is a good thing, going back to a lesser known filmaker, but I think Craig going out on a average nuts and bolts adventure will actually seem pretty limp after such build up, and how the rest of his tenure is so different. Returning to that would be more effective in a reboot, where the shift in style would accompany a new actor.
  • Posts: 5,808
    OwenDavian wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed FYEO vs. Raiders / Craig/SP Bashing Production Diary

    You're correct.

    The sane voices have gone running for the hills.

    The rest have stayed.

    Which is my way of saying: I'm out.

    My manager's wife was one of the producers on American Animals, which means, I've been told a little more of the insight that goes into EoN approaching a director and why.

    We have Colonel Sun, kicked in the goolies every time he comes on. He's just telling it like it is; but there's one voice that whips up a frothing frenzy, with his three or four disciples. CS has clarified everything-- and has done so for weeks-- but is only now believed (and vindicated) because Variety and James Bond Live reports it is so. He's been saying everything, all of this (against the grain of losing release dates, re-boots and all of that nonsense), the entire time. He has, in other words, been the most consistent voice on this thread.

    In the past, the Colonel's been called a liar; more recently some smart ass said he had said nothing new. Wow, how insulting to @ColonelSun...

    @RC7 has rightly said there is plenty of news.... And he's right.

    But as @RC7 has pointed out, the peeps who don't want to hear the news are either A$$holes or; they've got nothing more going in their lives beside this forum.

    This thread has been turned into an attack on Craig and BB, and on some woman-- who's talented enough to make it in an unforgiving business-- because of her glasses... Seriously??? Her glasses??? Jesus-- Too much from those who know too little.

    There are so many great people on this forum, from the Mods to the people who PM'd the Colonel and myself. But the vocal minority has twisted this thread (and others) into a clusterf&*K.

    I'll sign in to read the voices of the friends I've made. But, to the happiness of some, I have nothing more to add to this dialogue.

    Best of luck.

    I can always be reached at [email protected]

    P
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Posts: 9,142
    Very true. I have nothing against Craig or his fans. I just can't stand the hyperbole and arrogance, to suggest he is simply better than the other actors who played Bond?
    Sounds like you do.

  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,311
    I’ve just woken up to read @peter’s comments. I’m extremely sad to see you go, but not surprised in the least. It seems to me that some posters here have been given a free reign and an impunity to trash other members thoughts and insights, whilst continually posting their own inane comments, because it appears to generate discussion, when the direct opposite appears to be the case, sinking the entire topic into a quagmire of juvenile posturing. Now we’re in that position again where we’re losing another valuable, mature and trusted member because things have been allowed to escalate without little or no redress. It’s painfully obvious to me who the culprit(s) are. Surely it’s time to clip a few wings again and restore order to this bear-pit of a discussion thread?
  • Posts: 10,537
    @peter I'm going to miss your discussions here, but I understand your decision to leave. Good luck - I'm sorry it had to end this way.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    MooreFun wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Has Clarkson been overtly political in her tv shows in the past?

    That's not something I'd want to see in a Bond film so hopefully not. If she hasn't, then I don't see the problem, despite her glasses.

    Also, is she a serious contender for this role? She's being considered, sure, but I can't imagine she's a front runner based on her resume. If they want a female director, then there are other choices with more experience. Whether they'd want the gig is another question. Bigelow has declined in the past, as has been noted here already so I can't see her going for it now.
    As I understand it, Collateral was rather ham-fisted in its political depictions, among other issues. She didn't write it, but she did direct it. Between that and other considerations, I have to agree with @PanchitoPistoles in spirit (perhaps not exactly in tone). She's not right for Bond.
    Thanks. Ham-fisted politics I can handle, but honestly I'd rather they try to stay apolitical as they've done for the better part of their history. I believe she directed a few episodes of Jessica Jones. I have the first season at home but haven't viewed it yet. Somehow I doubt she will get the job though.
  • In light of the tremendous success of the last 3 M:I films which are in equal measure well-made films as well as very rewatchable and entertaining, what would you say were the last 3 Bond films (that’s 3 in a row) that could compare in terms of excitement and rewatchability?

    I’d probably have to go back to TLD-LTK-GE. All 3 are well-made with a great story and very entertaining and rewatchable. Even though admittedly LTK is the weaker of those 3 and doesn’t crack my top 10 (the other 2 do). And even though at times LTK lacks that Bond flavor and feels a bit too “American action” it still packs a punch in the action department and has an engaging story and is rewatchable. Plus it beautifully ended the Cubby era with that lovely closing ballad by Patti LaBelle. That song always gets me.

    Unfortunately since then we haven’t had a three-peat like this. TND is fun and rewatchable but TWINE unfortunately is not (despite having a stronger story). CR and SF are sabotaged by QOS. And then there’s SP :(

    Bond needs to find its mojo the way M:I has done.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Can we please stop compare bond with mi/ROTLA, the only mi film that came close to bond was RN and most of mi scenes have nothing new to offer but ripping other films off, even plot seems very predictable to me.
  • SF and CR are sabotaged by QoS? What does that mean? CR and SF have great rewatchability.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 214
    peter wrote: »
    OwenDavian wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed FYEO vs. Raiders / Craig/SP Bashing Production Diary

    You're correct.

    The sane voices have gone running for the hills.

    The rest have stayed.

    Which is my way of saying: I'm out.

    My manager's wife was one of the producers on American Animals, which means, I've been told a little more of the insight that goes into EoN approaching a director and why.

    We have Colonel Sun, kicked in the goolies every time he comes on. He's just telling it like it is; but there's one voice that whips up a frothing frenzy, with his three or four disciples. CS has clarified everything-- and has done so for weeks-- but is only now believed (and vindicated) because Variety and James Bond Live reports it is so. He's been saying everything, all of this (against the grain of losing release dates, re-boots and all of that nonsense), the entire time. He has, in other words, been the most consistent voice on this thread.

    In the past, the Colonel's been called a liar; more recently some smart ass said he had said nothing new. Wow, how insulting to @ColonelSun...

    @RC7 has rightly said there is plenty of news.... And he's right.

    But as @RC7 has pointed out, the peeps who don't want to hear the news are either A$$holes or; they've got nothing more going in their lives beside this forum.

    This thread has been turned into an attack on Craig and BB, and on some woman-- who's talented enough to make it in an unforgiving business-- because of her glasses... Seriously??? Her glasses??? Jesus-- Too much from those who know too little.

    There are so many great people on this forum, from the Mods to the people who PM'd the Colonel and myself. But the vocal minority has twisted this thread (and others) into a clusterf&*K.

    I'll sign in to read the voices of the friends I've made. But, to the happiness of some, I have nothing more to add to this dialogue.

    Best of luck.

    I can always be reached at [email protected]

    P

    Sorry to see you go. I'm tempted to do the same. I come back after 5 years and its a shame its to this.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I generally like Craig, but I certainly wouldn't call his acting subtle or even particularly deep. And when he's less engaged in the material, he comes off like a mobile wax figure.

    +1

    The fact he rarely actually does any work - I.e. acting - hasnt helped either. I suspect his relatively stilted performance in SP reflects the fact he had been away from the day job for quite a long time.

    imagine an artist who hasn't painted for 3 years or a surgeon whose been on a 2 year sabbatical. the first canvas or patient are probably heading straight to the incinerator
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Maybe it's a good thing he is taking some roles before bond 25 then, like Logan lucky and now a detective drama might brush up his acting skills though.
  • Posts: 11,425
    I haven't seen lucky Logan but in the trailers he seemed pretty bad - lots of ham with a large side portion of grating cheese
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    Can we please stop compare bond with mi/ROTLA, the only mi film that came close to bond was RN and most of mi scenes have nothing new to offer but ripping other films off, even plot seems very predictable to me.

    Not sure if you caught the irony of your comment.

  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Watch the movie Logan lucky has nothing new but more of a story telling and character driven, he also did Kings with Halle Berry and now a detective drama. My hopes are a bit high for bond 25 than SP.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Posts: 34
    bondsum wrote: »
    I’ve just woken up to read @peter’s comments. I’m extremely sad to see you go, but not surprised in the least. It seems to me that some posters here have been given a free reign and an impunity to trash other members thoughts and insights, whilst continually posting inane comments, because it appears to generate discussion, when the direct opposite appears to be the case, sinking the entire topic into a quagmire of juvenile posturing. Now we’re in that position again where we’re losing a valuable, mature and trusted member because things have been allowed to escalate without little or no redress. It’s painfully obvious to me who the culprit(s) are. Surely it’s time to clip a few wings again and restore order to this bear-pit of a discussion thread?

    This.

    I, too, am sorry to see @peter go. I hope he returns soon.

  • Posts: 1,297
    bondsum wrote: »
    I’ve just woken up to read @peter’s comments. I’m extremely sad to see you go, but not surprised in the least. It seems to me that some posters here have been given a free reign and an impunity to trash other members thoughts and insights, whilst continually posting inane comments, because it appears to generate discussion, when the direct opposite appears to be the case, sinking the entire topic into a quagmire of juvenile posturing. Now we’re in that position again where we’re losing a valuable, mature and trusted member because things have been allowed to escalate without little or no redress. It’s painfully obvious to me who the culprit(s) are. Surely it’s time to clip a few wings again and restore order to this bear-pit of a discussion thread?

    This.

    I, too, am sorry to see @peter go. I hope he returns soon.

    Sane voices are too frequently and predictably savaged on this particular forum, and usually by the same 2 or 3 members who seem to resent anyone who might have a deeper understanding of the filmmaking process (after all we are discussing Bond films on this site) and, therefore, a reasonable grasp of what might really be going on re: Eon and Bond. It's a shame because there are many members here who are open minded, articulate, have interesting opinions to share and discuss, and who are respectful to others, unfortunately they are all too often ignored or belittled -- or their words/posts are twisted out of shape.

    Before I sign off, I'll say this; Bond 25 is aiming to keep it's release dates. Craig is committed. They are zeroing in on mostly fresh up-and-coming directors - and, yes, before a certain member chimes in, I know this is nothing new, but I will confirm it is what is going on. And I personally think Craig is the best thing to happen to the Bond franchise since Connery. He's made Bond his own and given the character a depth and inner life (internal conflict, which is very Fleming) which no other actor managed to do before. He's the best Bond since Connery. Just saying.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Enemy of the state
    Posts: 41,613
    Getafix wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    That American Animals whatsit is getting ALOT of positive buzz, whereas White Boy Rick definitely isn't. Don't know how that effects things.
    This Layton guy came out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious possibility. He's got writing skills too, and I don't think Demange does.

    I think they both came out of nowhere, right?

    Hollywood seems to have fallen in love with the idea of giving lesser known directors with strong debut films the keys to their juggernauts. Just look at Jurassic world.
    True. I'm open to it.

    May be there's something to be said for handing someone young and hungry the reins

    On one side you have Colin Trevorrow, on the other you have Josh Trank. It can go both ways.

    of course it could badly. buy when was the last time someone under 50 directed a Bond film? Forster?

    Mendes.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,311
    Once again, thank you @ColonelSun for your additional thoughts on the matter. It’s always been an absolute pleasure reading both your and @peter’s views. I guess from now on we only have @RC7 and @Univex (whom I’m also very fond of) to add some class and levity to the proceedings. No disrespect to the other worthy contributors here that I haven’t mentioned, nor the MODs, as your input goes without saying. I’m just highlighting two other valuable members that I find extremely engaging.
  • Posts: 1,115
    I’d love to chime in far more regularly on this particular forum but there are 2 members here who just hijack the conversation and spam the board. It’s very frustrating.
  • I'm increasingly ambivalent about B25 - the fact (if indeed it is a fact) that Craig has signed on for a new shoot starting November is worrying, though maybe it's a small part or a quick project.

    The fact (ibid) that pre-production including set-building is continuing is on the one hand encouraging, since it suggests that there's a fairly firm script in place. But no director still? Surely whoever gets hired will want some input into things, which might me undoing the pre-production work.

    Good lord I'm glad I don't own shares in these productions . . . I'd be losing sleep.
  • Posts: 1,548
    Daniel Craig to me is the Bond actor to show the most range outside Bond. Tim Dalton is great but I wish he'd made more films. PS Logan Lucky ace.
Sign In or Register to comment.