No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Putin is Blofeld s boss.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Putin is Blofeld s boss.
    I thought it was against service policy for FSB agents-turned-presidents to give out endorsements, Doctor. ;)
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Now I'm getting confused. So, the Boyle/Hodge-script IS a re-working of the P&W-script? According to Boyle it was a complete and original idea, he and Hodge came up with. So is the P&W script the SP-sequel featuring Spectre? And the Russian villains plus the Maori Henchmen were merely manoeuvers meant to sidetrack the media? I mean for SP (before uit became SP), Chiwetel Ejiofor was rumoured to play the villain, and next thing we read, was, that Waltz was hired.
    Chiwetel Ejiofor was offered the part of Max Denbigh, not Oberhauser.
    First he was offered the role of Blofeld, only later did they offer him the role of Denbigh. (Blofeld was originally going to be an African warlord in Spectre.) From the Sony leaks:

"Sam spoke to Chiwetel who wants to play Blofeld x " - Barbara Broccoli on 21 November 2013

"Chiwetel has passed on C. They are considering David oyelowo. (Jack reacher, Apes, the butler and plays MLK in Selma)" - Sony executive Elizabeth Cantillon on 25 October 2014
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,965
    I get the feeling EON would not have given Yann Demange the job six months ago, but now they need someone to step in they might have to go with him. Beggars can't be choosers after all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Now I'm getting confused. So, the Boyle/Hodge-script IS a re-working of the P&W-script? According to Boyle it was a complete and original idea, he and Hodge came up with. So is the P&W script the SP-sequel featuring Spectre? And the Russian villains plus the Maori Henchmen were merely manoeuvers meant to sidetrack the media? I mean for SP (before uit became SP), Chiwetel Ejiofor was rumoured to play the villain, and next thing we read, was, that Waltz was hired.
    Chiwetel Ejiofor was offered the part of Max Denbigh, not Oberhauser.
    First he was offered the role of Blofeld, only later did they offer him the role of Denbigh. (Blofeld was originally going to be an African warlord in Spectre.) From the Sony leaks:

"Sam spoke to Chiwetel who wants to play Blofeld x " - Barbara Broccoli on 21 November 2013

"Chiwetel has passed on C. They are considering David oyelowo. (Jack reacher, Apes, the butler and plays MLK in Selma)" - Sony executive Elizabeth Cantillon on 25 October 2014
    I stand corrected. Thanks.
    Whoever gets the director job, it won t be the first time a second choice is picked.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Whoever gets the director job, it won t be the first time a second choice is picked.
    I thought Boyle was 2nd choice? Villeneuve was #1 if I'm not mistaken.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I thought Boyle was 2nd choice? Villeneuve was #1 if I'm not mistaken.

Won t be the first time the third choice gets picked, either.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 12,242
    I think it might end up as a blessing if we get a lesser-known, workmanlike director who doesn’t add any unnecessary fluff or flair. Not saying Boyle or Villeneuve couldn’t make a good Bond film, but there’s a chance it may end up as too much in the directors’ styles and not traditionally Bondian enough.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    That's one of the reason I liked Dalton. Let directors/actors/producers/writer/ do their job ,one doesn't need to be multitalented or get meddled in each another department.
    Didn't Dalton and John Glen butt heads on set?

Yes, there were tensions which came to a head towards the end of the shoot when Dalton asked a question, but John Glen, who is a charming, funny and very polite man, snapped back - this was also partly due to the fact he'd broken a toe or badly hurt his foot a day or so before, and he was in some pain. I have huge respect for John Glen, he was wonderful to work with, but he was more of a technical director with an editor's mind, and not really an actor's director. And Dalton, as we know, wanted to push the character and, I believe, John Glen was not really geared up for that. With Roger Moore it was easy because Sir Roger, even when he questioned things, like Bond ruthlessly kicking Locke's car off the cliff in FYEO, he accepted Glen's directions. Dalton was not so straight forward in that regard, he wanted to dig deeper into the character. Some here have suggested bring Glen back - despite his maturing years - but Craig and Glen would never gel.

Great to see you here, @ColonelSun! Please share your info, if you can! Any news?
    So let's see if I have this straight:

.P+W were hired to write a script

.EON gets in touch with Boyle who has a great idea for a Bond film.

.EON likes this, fires P+W and uses their work as a basis for Boyle and Hodge to build his idea on top of.

.Boyle/Hodge and EON/Craig have a falling out, Boyle/Hodge leave, and EON (likely) hire P+W back to polish what remains into a finished product.

.Meanwhile, with time running out, EON search for a director who will not battle them for creative control, and film what they have ready in a timely manner.

Can we agree on this summation?
    and EON (likely) hire P+W back to polish what remains into a finished product.

We do not know whether P&W are back or not.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,548
    Isn't is funny how all these catastrophees are constantly happening around EON and Craig and yet non of it is ever their fault?

With SP it was Logan and Mendes who were culprits, with Bond 25 it was Boyle who couldn't handle such a big franchise that caused this delay. With that wrist slash comment it was the journalist who was at fault for putting it in his headline. It doesn't matter what seems to happen, EON, Babs and Craig are always just victims of circumstance. Strange.

Over the past 56 years, the series has had many, many catastrophes, most notably losing its star and replacing him with an Aussie model who'd never acted before. It's always been a bit of a soap opera. Your hatred of Craig is truly revealing, here.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    By the sounds of things, Craig has way too much influence over the product behind the scenes. The star should have input, but not to the level he has been getting. Connery, Moore or Broz didn't have that, never mind Dalton or Lazenby.

Sounds of what, exactly? Rumor mill crap? Regardless, DC is a co-producer. He's the first and only Bond to take on a more substantial role with the series. Maybe because he's the first Bond actor with any real b@lls.
    Don t forget, Cobbery said he was the de facto producer for NSNA.
  • RC7RC7
    Don t forget, Cobbery said he was the de facto producer for NSNA.

Stop complicating things.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    Yes, you made that very clear. Nevertheless, she and her stepbrother have delivered 8 Bond movies, and only 1 of them were way below par, SP.

Fixed that for ya.

I have to rewatch DAD soon. That's something I won't be saying about SP!

I won't rewatch DAD soon.

Me either! Couldn't think of anything worse!
    I'd even watch CR'67 over it!

come on- DAD is much more hilarious than CR67
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes, you made that very clear. Nevertheless, she and her stepbrother have delivered 8 Bond movies, and only 1 of them were way below par, SP.

Fixed that for ya.

DAD is a beautiful bit of bollocks. Very entertaining.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Isn't is funny how all these catastrophees are constantly happening around EON and Craig and yet non of it is ever their fault?

With SP it was Logan and Mendes who were culprits, with Bond 25 it was Boyle who couldn't handle such a big franchise that caused this delay. With that wrist slash comment it was the journalist who was at fault for putting it in his headline. It doesn't matter what seems to happen, EON, Babs and Craig are always just victims of circumstance. Strange.

Over the past 56 years, the series has had many, many catastrophes, most notably losing its star and replacing him with an Aussie model who'd never acted before. It's always been a bit of a soap opera.

I understand that, but the catastrophe of Connery leaving, came after they had completed the greatest run of films, and the cinematic bedrock of the franchise. It was a worthy trade off. Plus, call me crazy, but I don't think there was any one in the world capable of doing justice to that film better than Lazenby. The story, as they told it, required Bond to be aloof, and Lazzers inexperience on screen only aided that effect. Plus that end scene is acted to the nines.

Also, can people stop saying I hate Daniel Craig. Yes he's my least favourite Bond actor, I just don't think he is Bondian, and never does portray Bondian behaviours well. I liked him in CR, because that truly was a "Bond begins" where the character is still a little "green". Craig's portrayal made sense. I just feel the later stories have been hampered by the limitations of his portrayal in that the character has to always be in a bad place, having "lost a step". This is also why I disagree whenever I hear any "best Bond since Connery" comments, because all the previous Bonds had to portray different aspects of the character, and not just play to their strengths everytime. SP was the first time Craig dipped a toe outside his comfort zone, and the results were not impressive IMO.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    David Mackenzie Talks TIFF Opener 'Outlaw King' and Those Persistent James Bond Rumors
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/outlaw-king-director-david-mackenzie-q-a-2018-tiff-1140669

This time a year ago, you were among the favorites to be directing the next Bond movie. Have you had meetings to discuss this?

I met with Barbara [Broccoli] a couple of times. I really like Barbara, and I know [Bond writers] Neal Purvis and Rob Wade well. I’m from a military family. There are a various things that could have connected me to that thing, but then I got busy doing this and that’s the last I heard. I haven’t had any further engagement.

With Danny Boyle having left, you’re currently the bookies’ top favourite to direct it again. You haven’t been back in touch?

I’m currently busy employed and not thinking about anything to do with that at the moment.

Would you like to direct a Bond, when you did have time?

I really don’t know how to answer the question. I like Barbara and Neil and Rob and that’s all I can say really.
    Well I guess we rule him out then. I’m thinking Demange remains the most likely candidate.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    David Mackenzie Talks TIFF Opener 'Outlaw King' and Those Persistent James Bond Rumors
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/news/outlaw-king-director-david-mackenzie-q-a-2018-tiff-1140669

I really don’t know how to answer the question. I like Barbara and Neil and Rob and that’s all I can say really.
    Very interesting. Note that he doesn't mention Craig. This probably confirms that he was only under consideration prior to Craig's announcement of return in August 2017. Then they started hunting down Villeneuve, as was reported at the time.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Getafix wrote: »

Fixed that for ya.

No, it isn't. It's a crap movie.
    That American Animals whatsit is getting ALOT of positive buzz, whereas White Boy Rick definitely isn't. Don't know how that effects things.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    That American Animals whatsit is getting ALOT of positive buzz, whereas White Boy Rick definitely isn't. Don't know how that effects things.
    This Layton guy came out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious possibility. He's got writing skills too, and I don't think Demange does.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241

Very interesting. Note that he doesn't mention Craig. This probably confirms that he was only under consideration prior to Craig's announcement of return in August 2017. Then they started hunting down Villeneuve, as was reported at the time.

David Mackenzie for Bond 26 or a post-Craig-era Bond film, perhaps?
    Also, can people stop saying I hate Daniel Craig. Yes he's my least favourite Bond actor, I just don't think he is Bondian, and never does portray Bondian behaviours well. I liked him in CR, because that truly was a "Bond begins" where the character is still a little "green". Craig's portrayal made sense. I just feel the later stories have been hampered by the limitations of his portrayal in that the character has to always be in a bad place, having "lost a step". This is also why I disagree whenever I hear any "best Bond since Connery" comments, because all the previous Bonds had to portray different aspects of the character, and not just play to their strengths everytime. SP was the first time Craig dipped a toe outside his comfort zone, and the results were not impressive IMO.

I can agree with this.

One never knows. Any number of new and exciting directors could prove themselves on other projects between now and then though. It does appear as though Demange may have been the frontrunner of those initial director picks way back when for whatever reason.
    This Layton guy came out of nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serious possibility. He's got writing skills too, and I don't think Demange does.

I think they both came out of nowhere, right?

Hollywood seems to have fallen in love with the idea of giving lesser known directors with strong debut films the keys to their juggernauts. Just look at Jurassic world.

Maybe AA and WBR coming out and getting such opposite opinions could sway it.

Hollywood seems to have fallen in love with the idea of giving lesser known directors with strong debut films the keys to their juggernauts. Just look at Jurassic world.
    True. I'm open to it.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241

One never knows. Any number of new and exciting directors could prove themselves on other projects between now and then though. It does appear as though Demange may have been the frontrunner of those initial director picks way back when for whatever reason.

All very true. It was interesting to read Mackenzie's met with Barbara "a couple of times". I take it he means "met" as in a meeting, and not at a premiere or something. That's sounds like a genuine interest from EON, if anything.

Same would apply with Demange of course, and he still looks a likely candidate.

True. I'm open to it.

May be there's something to be said for handing someone young and hungry the reins