No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    True bond's character is bigger than any actor but I don't think of Craig the way media tried to portray him, from the beginning when he was announced as bond they were after him. I have seen a lot of his interviews from 2005 and he seems like a gentle person. BB Trust him so much because at the time of QOS he took a lot of responsibility upon himself which no bond actor did as far as I know.

Except Connery for NSNA.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I had a dream that they choose Danny Boyle as next bond villian....lol
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    MooreFun wrote: »
    I would like to remind you that without Craig we probably wouldn't have a Bond today, we wouldn't have had a QOS (despite the fact that you could not like it) and that he has the two most successfull movies of all the franchise in his tenure.
    Some people vastly overrate the importance of Daniel Craig to the franchise. Likely comes from a personal habit of doing the same thing. People forget DAD was Brosnan's most successful film yet, and most would have been fine to see him in a fifth film.
    +1. Thank you!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I would like to remind you that without Craig we probably wouldn't have a Bond today, we wouldn't have had a QOS (despite the fact that you could not like it) and that he has the two most successfull movies of all the franchise in his tenure.
    Some people vastly overrate the importance of Daniel Craig to the franchise. Likely comes from a personal habit of doing the same thing. People forget DAD was Brosnan's most successful film yet, and most would have been fine to see him in a fifth film.
    +1. Thank you!

As DaltonBond once said : "Better make thattttttttt.tttttwo " +2
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Ok let's all bet who's going to take on directing bond 25 who do you all predict is going to land the job? I'm predicting yann demange
    Ok let's all bet who's going to take on directing bond 25 who do you all predict is going to land the job? I'm predicting yann demange

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yes, the problem is that opinions seem to change on a dime depending on the mood of the day. I do like Craig and I hope they knock his final film out of the park, though. He has undeniably been a great asset in most ways and a bit disappointing in other ways, like all who have played the part. They're only human.
    Yes because his next film white boy Rick is about to release.
  • Yes, the problem is that opinions seem to change on a dime depending on the mood of the day. I do like Craig and I hope they knock his final film out of the park, though. He has undeniably been a great asset in most ways and a bit disappointing in other ways, like all who have played the part. They're only human.

Agreed. I'm in the camp that doesn't mind Spectre, but I'd like to see a great final outing for the guy.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    barryt007 wrote: »

t83aBcg.jpg
  • That's one of the reason I liked Dalton. Let directors/actors/producers/writer/ do their job ,one doesn't need to be multitalented or get meddled in each another department.
    Didn't Dalton and John Glen butt heads on set?

CraterGuns wrote: »
    That's one of the reason I liked Dalton. Let directors/actors/producers/writer/ do their job ,one doesn't need to be multitalented or get meddled in each another department.

'Yes, there were tensions which came to a head towards the end of the shoot when Dalton asked a question, but John Glen, who is a charming, funny and very polite man, snapped back - this was also partly due to the fact he'd broken a toe or badly hurt his foot a day or so before, and he was in some pain. I have huge respect for John Glen, he was wonderful to work with, but he was more of a technical director with an editor's mind, and not really an actor's director. And Dalton, as we know, wanted to push the character and, I believe, John Glen was not really geared up for that. With Roger Moore it was easy because Sir Roger, even when he questioned things, like Bond ruthlessly kicking Locke's car off the cliff in FYEO, he accepted Glen's directions. Dalton was not so straight forward in that regard, he wanted to dig deeper into the character. Some here have suggested bring Glen back - despite his maturing years - but Craig and Glen would never gel.'

@ColonelSun earlier today.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    That's one of the reason I liked Dalton. Let directors/actors/producers/writer/ do their job ,one doesn't need to be multitalented or get meddled in each another department.

Yes, there were tensions which came to a head towards the end of the shoot when Dalton asked a question, but John Glen, who is a charming, funny and very polite man, snapped back - this was also partly due to the fact he'd broken a toe or badly hurt his foot a day or so before, and he was in some pain. I have huge respect for John Glen, he was wonderful to work with, but he was more of a technical director with an editor's mind, and not really an actor's director. And Dalton, as we know, wanted to push the character and, I believe, John Glen was not really geared up for that. With Roger Moore it was easy because Sir Roger, even when he questioned things, like Bond ruthlessly kicking Locke's car off the cliff in FYEO, he accepted Glen's directions. Dalton was not so straight forward in that regard, he wanted to dig deeper into the character. Some here have suggested bring Glen back - despite his maturing years - but Craig and Glen would never gel.

@ColonelSun Thank you for the insight.
    Thanks for clearing it up about Dalton didn't knew that.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    The question I've been thinking about lately: why is EON so terrified of producing a Bond movie that is low on action? What's so awful about making a Bond movie that costs 75 million USD (instead of 200 million) and makes 200-300 million USD (instead of 800 million), just once?

And if your answer is that a smaller budget Bond movie would produce less profit, then my follow up question is: If EON cares about profit to this extent, then why don't they make a Bond film every two years instead of every four?
    The question I've been thinking about lately: why is EON so terrified of producing a Bond movie that is low on action? What's so awful about making a Bond movie that costs 75 million USD (instead of 200 million) and makes 200-300 million USD (instead of 800 million), just once?

FRWL is a prime example.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

FRWL is a prime example.

In 1963 this film was considered jam packed with action.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883

FRWL is a prime example.
    James Bond is a premier franchise that has tasted success above $1bn. There are only a handful of franchises that have achieved this level of success and have that level of pull. Just as with any 'business', there is pressure to grow when one has a potentially successful brand. Basically one grows or one shrinks relative to competition, particularly when a large measure of the success comes in foreign markets which are an increasing % of overall box office. There is no middle ground. So unfortunately, that recent success has put them in a box. Furthermore, their 50% partner probably needs the revenue to boost their top line. It's not just about bottom line profit but also top line revenue.

It all leads to a certain level of predictability unfortunately, despite smoke and mirrors gloss overs with auteurs and the like. It appears as though Boyle was a victim of this. I'm reasonably sure, given timing, that MI: Fallout's critical success has put added pressure on them to boost thrills.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Is it likely there will be a filmed advertisement of this? Seems like quite a lot of work for a print ad, as water can easily be photoshopped in afterwards.

Google translate does really help answer that, but seems something is coming at the end of the month.

"#DanielCraig anticipates his return to #JamesBond's tuxedo for the new communications campaign celebrating the 25th anniversary of the @omegawatches Seamaster Diver 300 and its new versions #OMEGAWatches --- To be discovered in late September."

Is that a video camera or a DSLR underwater in the third photo?

Daniel Craig Dives into Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Campaign
    ww.fashionnetwork.com/news/Daniel-Craig-dives-into-Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-campaign,1011082.html

The Swiss watchmaker Omega has updated one of its most emblematic models, the Seamaster Professional Diver 300M, with an even more modern and audacious collection. Omega will be accompanying the launch of these latest versions of its iconic watch with an advertising campaign fronted by Daniel Craig, landing at the end of September.

Launched in 1993, the Seamaster Professional Diver 300M wristwatch soon became an iconic model in the world of diving and laid the foundations of a long partnership between Omega and the "James Bond" franchise. Twenty-five years later, the watch brand has revisited this legendary model with a collection of 14 new watches.

And who better than Daniel Craig to front this refreshed and updated collection? The current 007 stars in the campaign for this latest Seamaster, plunging into a pool to show off the watch's updated performances. As yet, Omega has only shared a behind-the-scenes look at the campaign shoot. The campaign itself will be officially unveiled at the end of September.

For 2018, the "Seamaster Professional Diver 300M" lands in 14 versions, with six models in stainless steel and eight models in 18-carat gold and stainless steel. Water-resistant to 300 meters and equipped with the Master Chronometer 8800 caliber, the watch promises optimized performances, resistance to magnetic fields and improved precision, whether about town or exploring the ocean depths.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Now I'm getting confused. So, the Boyle/Hodge-script IS a re-working of the P&W-script? According to Boyle it was a complete and original idea, he and Hodge came up with. So is the P&W script the SP-sequel featuring Spectre? And the Russian villains plus the Maori Henchmen were merely manoeuvers meant to sidetrack the media? I mean for SP (before uit became SP), Chiwetel Ejiofor was rumoured to play the villain, and next thing we read, was, that Waltz was hired.
    Newest information indeed says Boyle/Hodge’s script is a re-working of P&W’s draft; the only thing I can remember Boyle saying is “we’re working on a script,” and something along the lines of “it’s a great idea.” If I had to guess, P&W’s draft served as something of a base while Boyle and Hodge injected a big idea into it that the producers liked. And then it probably went too far for their liking and so Boyle and Hodge left. We’re still stuck speculating a lot of this.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Remington wrote: »
    Yes, you made that very clear. Nevertheless, she and her stepbrother have delivered 8 Bond movies, and only 1 of them were way below par, SP.

Fixed that for ya.

I have to rewatch DAD soon. That's something I won't be saying about SP!

I won't rewatch DAD soon.
    Now I'm getting confused. So, the Boyle/Hodge-script IS a re-working of the P&W-script? According to Boyle it was a complete and original idea, he and Hodge came up with. So is the P&W script the SP-sequel featuring Spectre? And the Russian villains plus the Maori Henchmen were merely manoeuvers meant to sidetrack the media? I mean for SP (before uit became SP), Chiwetel Ejiofor was rumoured to play the villain, and next thing we read, was, that Waltz was hired.

Original as in non-Fleming. The idea was merged with Pervis and Wade s script.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Is it likely there will be a filmed advertisement of this? Seems like quite a lot of work for a print ad, as water can easily be photoshopped in afterwards.

Google translate does really help answer that, but seems something is coming at the end of the month.

"#DanielCraig anticipates his return to #JamesBond's tuxedo for the new communications campaign celebrating the 25th anniversary of the @omegawatches Seamaster Diver 300 and its new versions #OMEGAWatches --- To be discovered in late September."

ww.fashionnetwork.com/news/Daniel-Craig-dives-into-Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-campaign,1011082.html

The Swiss watchmaker Omega has updated one of its most emblematic models, the Seamaster Professional Diver 300M, with an even more modern and audacious collection. Omega will be accompanying the launch of these latest versions of its iconic watch with an advertising campaign fronted by Daniel Craig, landing at the end of September.

Launched in 1993, the Seamaster Professional Diver 300M wristwatch soon became an iconic model in the world of diving and laid the foundations of a long partnership between Omega and the "James Bond" franchise. Twenty-five years later, the watch brand has revisited this legendary model with a collection of 14 new watches.

And who better than Daniel Craig to front this refreshed and updated collection? The current 007 stars in the campaign for this latest Seamaster, plunging into a pool to show off the watch's updated performances. As yet, Omega has only shared a behind-the-scenes look at the campaign shoot. The campaign itself will be officially unveiled at the end of September.

For 2018, the "Seamaster Professional Diver 300M" lands in 14 versions, with six models in stainless steel and eight models in 18-carat gold and stainless steel. Water-resistant to 300 meters and equipped with the Master Chronometer 8800 caliber, the watch promises optimized performances, resistance to magnetic fields and improved precision, whether about town or exploring the ocean depths.

So who exactly is being promoted as the brand ambassador for this watch here, Daniel Craig or James Bond?
    Chiwetel Ejiofor was offered the part of Max Denbigh, not Oberhauser.
    Remington wrote: »
    Yes, you made that very clear. Nevertheless, she and her stepbrother have delivered 8 Bond movies, and only 1 of them were way below par, SP.

Fixed that for ya.

I have to rewatch DAD soon. That's something I won't be saying about SP!

I won't rewatch DAD soon.

Me either! Couldn't think of anything worse!
    I'd even watch CR'67 over it!
    doubleoego wrote: »

So who exactly is being promoted as the brand ambassador for this watch here, Daniel Craig or James Bond?

Telly Savalas would have made a good Omega ambassador.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    And the Russian villains plus the Maori Henchmen were merely manoeuvers meant to sidetrack the media?

I don't think so. Either P&W's script did not feature Blofeld/SPECTRE or Hodge rewrote most of their draft into something mostly original. Or maybe the Russian villains had a connection with SPECTRE, or Blofeld was involved in a Hannibal-esque role, who knows? But I'm leaning toward Hodge scrapping Blofeld altogether, that sounds most likely.
    I mean for SP (before uit became SP), Chiwetel Ejiofor was rumoured to play the villain, and next thing we read, was, that Waltz was hired.

The main villain/Blofeld was supposed to be an african warlord at some point (I can't remember if he was named Blofeld or Stockmann), Ejiofor was most likely meant to play that role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »

Good question. I was thinking the same thing. It appears to be Daniel Craig, but in character as James Bond. It remains to be seen if any OO7 logos appear. I remember Brosnan doing the same thing as well in print ads (no OO7 logo but he was dressed in a dinner jacket sporting an Omega model).
    Walecs wrote: »
    I mean for SP (before uit became SP), Chiwetel Ejiofor was rumoured to play the villain, and next thing we read, was, that Waltz was hired.

The main villain/Blofeld was supposed to be an african warlord at some point (I can't remember if he was named Blofeld or Stockmann), Ejiofor was most likely meant to play that role.
    Not really. Ejiofor, like I said, was meant to play Max Denbigh. They hired Andrew Scott instead because he was to cost a million less than what Ejiofor demanded.

The African Warlord storyline didn't last too long and pretty much died out when Logan was kicked out.