No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I don’t think we’re going to be seeing Blofeld or Hinx again.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Yes, probably not.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,554
    peter wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes are the reason the foster brother angle could not have been easily eliminated. P&W come up with ideas and draft everything into a working screenplay, but they are in no position to overrule what the producers want to happen in the story. I believe they recently said they wanted the bridge scene to go another way but were overruled. You also have to remember they were brought on very late in the game with SP. The Westminster Bridge set had already been built and they were told they had to work it into the finale somehow. Whatever input P&W had on SP was clearly on a very superficial level.

correct....

Earlier in this thread, it was stated that NOTHING is done without the stamp of Barbara Broccoli. That's true. So those who find the foster brother angle to be ridiculous (and count me as one of them) need to realize that the buck stops with Babs (and Michael).
  • peterpeter Toronto

yes
    And the "big reveal" in that film never happened, thanks to a Sony leak and others. I really wonder if it would have played out a little differently, seeing the white cat, and Oberhauser proclaiming to take the name Blofeld, if we didn't see it coming. I can at least, in a small way, see how EON, Mendes, and DC were approaching that reveal. It just didn't work out. And so we all went in KNOWING who he was. Kind of a bummer.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Sounds like this script might be quite a...Hodge-podge. :D I’ll see myself out...

I’m actually very pleased at this news. A script by old reliable P&W, but with some fresh blood injected in there.
  • Sounds like this script might be quite a...Hodge-podge. :D I’ll see myself out...

I’m actually very pleased at this news. A script by old reliable P&W, but with some fresh blood injected in there.

I’m excited by it too. The fact that P&W started this thing, then Hodge and Boyle added to the pot some killer new idea, has me confident the screenplay is in a good place. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if P&W are the ones brought back to polish things before shooting, which should only lend more cohesion to the final story.
    I’m excited as well. I think we may be in for a real treat if things come together well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TripAces wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes are the reason the foster brother angle could not have been easily eliminated. P&W come up with ideas and draft everything into a working screenplay, but they are in no position to overrule what the producers want to happen in the story. I believe they recently said they wanted the bridge scene to go another way but were overruled. You also have to remember they were brought on very late in the game with SP. The Westminster Bridge set had already been built and they were told they had to work it into the finale somehow. Whatever input P&W had on SP was clearly on a very superficial level.

correct....

Earlier in this thread, it was stated that NOTHING is done without the stamp of Barbara Broccoli. That's true. So those who find the foster brother angle to be ridiculous (and count me as one of them) need to realize that the buck stops with Babs (and Michael).

... And Sony and all the creatives-- read the leaks it's all there. Filmmaking is a partnership among many.

Mendes, the director, seemed to want that Bond/villain connection all the way through every draft of the script development....

As @ColonelSun has said in the past: Barbara is known as being a great nuts n bolts producer (think when DC blew out his knee, she re-scheduled the troops, got them all in line and kept the film on track-- much like she is doing right now); story, in its increments, may not be her forte. So she relies on the other creatives (her director and the Sony people, etc...)

And, quite frankly, franchise films are made for many people, worldwide. Good producers hit most of the marks, most of the time (EoN); some fail (the present leadership at DC). It may not always be to your tastes, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong at EoN-- for example: I have a tough time with the Brosnan era. I can't watch the last two films in particular-- but never once did I think this was EoN's fault. I just knew the formula was working for that time and it certainly was not my cup of tea. Had Brosnan stayed on, I would have seen the next one as well (and probably would have accepted that that too was also not the Bond film I wanted).

But as Cubby said, if it makes a dollar, there will be another-- which means they will follow the same formula until it doesn't work anymore-- look at DAF into LALD into TMWGG... That became a re-set into TSWLM and MR... which became another re-set with a new decade... DAD made a bucket-load, but with Bourne, this was no longer going to cut mustard in the new millennium, so, another re-boot...

EoN has been remarkable at the very thing James Bond boasted his hobby was: resurrection...

• peterpeter Toronto

correct....
  • peterpeter Toronto

correct....

Sorry for the double post. But--

EDIT: no where in the leaks did DC's name come up during script development. SM wanted brothergate in one form or another, as is easily seen in the leaks. Not DC.
  • As long as we get a fresh villain and a new Bond girl instead of a Blofeld/Swann comeback I've got no complaints. I would still be excited if so, mind you, but definitely less so.
  • peter wrote: »

correct....

EDIT: no where in the leaks did DC's name come up during script development. SM wanted brothergate in one form or another, as is easily seen in the leaks. Not DC.

I haven't read the leaks, but I recall Craig speaking in praise of the foster brother angle in an interview (correct me anyone if I'm wrong) and he was one of the producers and seemingly has a good deal of say in what happens or doesn't happen in his Bond films.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Honestly, what’s he going to say? He hates his own film? It’s spin.

The reality is the leaked emails have NO FEEDBACK FROM DC during the very long script development process (we read about Mendes and many executives); SM shepherded the drafts and wanted some kind of relationship between Bond and villain from the very beginning.

DC was never mentioned in the leaks. If he said nice things about SP, that’s his job.

But he also said on Colbert that he wanted to leave on a high which suggests SP wasn’t that high.

correct....

I haven't read the leaks, but I recall Craig speaking in praise of the foster brother angle in an interview (correct me anyone if I'm wrong) and he was one of the producers and seemingly has a good deal of say in what happens or doesn't happen in his Bond films.

As DC said in TGWTDT: "I want to read that." LOL
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah, I've never heard Craig comment on that angle. From what I've read it was something Mendes was most insistent on or else he'd bail. Given the way the film handled it, I feel it got distilled down so much that it no longer made sense to keep it in. You eliminate that angle and the story still works in a different context, as Bond and Blofeld can already have a past via his dealings with SPECTRE. Hell, Bond never seems to be enraged over finding out that Blofeld killed his father.

The reality is the leaked emails have NO FEEDBACK FROM DC during the very long script development process (we read about Mendes and many executives); SM shepherded the drafts and wanted some kind of relationship between Bond and villain from the very beginning.

DC was never mentioned in the leaks. If he said nice things about SP, that’s his job.

But he also said on Colbert that he wanted to leave on a high which suggests SP wasn’t that high.
    Some very good points made and nicely put together for the dense to grasp that Craig couldn’t have possibly been happy with the end product of SP.

Personally, I think that the brothergate angle was simply Mendes stealing the same Star Trek Into Darkness Khan rabbit-out-of-the-hat trick, under the guise of John Harrison, and adopting it for Blofeld. I don’t blame P&W for this travesty.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Gunning for Brothergate: The Sam Mendes Story. ;)

After the “hight note” comment with Colbert, I think it’s safe to say Craig did not love SP, and couldn’t have thought of it as much better than average.

I’m pretty excited about the news of the Hodge script remaining in some form; perhaps they are just cutting the bits from it that they felt were too non-Bond or whatever.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2018 Posts: 5,979
    Walecs wrote: »
    YES! Hodge's story (somewhat) remains. So apparently though... Hodge did indeed work on a draft by Purvis and Wade? I thought it was an original... huh.

So did I... I wonder if this means Blofeld is back! :D

This doesn't totally track. We know P&W would put a lot of action in their script, so even if Hodge stripped it out, couldn't Eon (relatively) easily put the action back in?

I'm thinking of something like Skyfall, where the PTS was originally supposed to be in another country, IIRC.

yes
    There was a time when some people here attacked me after I dared to say Blofeld likely won't be back in BOND 25...
  • I guess I would have been the other one.

But you're right, I do remember the mind-boggling threads of everyone and their mother ranking Spectre in their Top 5s.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Such a waste of Christoph waltz blofeld and all 4 films together if blofeld doesn't come back.The least they could do is tie all the loosends.
  • Amen.
    So P&W had an idea, wrote a script, but then Boyle and Hodge came along with an original, bold, fresh take on P&W’s idea?
    Is that what happened?
    It’s true. I used to have SP way too high on my list. I could only possibly chalk it up as hype getting the better of me at the time. It gradually lowered down further and further for me. And honestly there are no loose ends to be tied up; Blofed is in jail, and Bond can just have had an implied breakup with Maddy (like most other main Bond girls through the franchise) and have come back to the service without a ton of fanfare. A direct sequel to SP I think would be a disaster. It’s hard to imagine it being very good with bringing back Blofeld at all honestly.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I had SP in the middle of my rankings. Still do. I never thought it was among the worst of the series but I certainly was unaware of anyone ranking it high enough in the top five.
    It was as high as #9 for me. Then soon after it went to the middle of my ranking for a while, like 12-16, then finally reached the bottom 5. For me personally it isn’t the absolute worst Bond film, but I understand why some would give it last-place. Its lack of energy and weak plot points definitely hurt it. It has some nice standout moments for me though that keep it from being a total disaster. I still like it - but it’s certainly weak as a Bond film.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Spectre is 16th or 17th for me. Other bond girls didn't say I love you and so much emotional attachment or indirectly connected to him . Bond doesn't always quit the service like that casually Everytime.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Isn't is funny how all these catastrophees are constantly happening around EON and Craig and yet non of it is ever their fault?

With SP it was Logan and Mendes who were culprits, with Bond 25 it was Boyle who couldn't handle such a big franchise that caused this delay. With that wrist slash comment it was the journalist who was at fault for putting it in his headline. It doesn't matter what seems to happen, EON, Babs and Craig are always just victims of circumstance. Strange.