No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    There is a push for fresh talent now, it's happening all over the place, so Eon won't have to worry about that at all, in fact it may prove to be a very smart move, if they go that way.
    Hiring a female director is a smart move as long as that female director is talented and can handle the pressure that comes with directing a big budget movie.S.J. Clarkson does not fit the bill.

Some said the same thing about Patty Jenkins and she ended up making a big budget; much more critically acclaimed and more entertaining movie in WW compared to what we got with SP. Save for a difference of $60M they made the same amount of money at the BO.
    Patty Jenkins had already directed Monster, a critically acclaimed, Academy Award winning feature film when she was hired to do WW. SJ Clarkson has never directed a theatrically released movie.
    That's a big risk then, especially if Bond will be the first. I'm not saying she can't do it, but it's a risk.

Directing top end and high budget TV requires a huge skill set. Eon need a director to step up (fast) and take over a production which is already well advanced in terms of script, production design, tight schedule, and potential casting re: established characters, etc.. That is what top-end TV directors do. That is their skill set. Join the dots, and see where it leads.
    I see. Then perhaps she is in fact the frontrunner as a result.

Layton seems interesting to me though. A bit off beat.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    There is a push for fresh talent now, it's happening all over the place, so Eon won't have to worry about that at all, in fact it may prove to be a very smart move, if they go that way.
    Hiring a female director is a smart move as long as that female director is talented and can handle the pressure that comes with directing a big budget movie.S.J. Clarkson does not fit the bill.

Some said the same thing about Patty Jenkins and she ended up making a big budget; much more critically acclaimed and more entertaining movie in WW compared to what we got with SP. Save for a difference of $60M they made the same amount of money at the BO.
    Patty Jenkins had already directed Monster, a critically acclaimed, Academy Award winning feature film when she was hired to do WW. SJ Clarkson has never directed a theatrically released movie.

Yeah she directed Monster over a decade ago and hadn't directed a theatrical movie ever since until WW. She'd been doing TV work all that time.

At the end of the day; and this is something only Feige seems to understand in Hollywood; when you get a director pitching in the room to the producers and all the boxes are ticked, it doesn't matter if you've made 1 movie or a million movies. If the vision and proposed execution is sound then the job's yours.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    At the end of the day; and this is something only Feige seems to understand in Hollywood; when you get a director pitching in the room to the producers and all the boxes are ticked, it doesn't matter if you've made 1 movie or a million movies. If the vision and proposed execution is sound then the job's yours.
    I would never in a million years have guessed that Waititi would have been able to reinvigorate and reimagine Thor, getting such charismatic performances from his cast, but he did.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    It's Boe, Alfie Boe: Star announces bid for Bond theme tune
    https://dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/728334/alfie-boe-bond25-theme-tune-song-james-bond-film-bid

The Les Misérables star has revealed he has recorded an 007 soundtrack that he plans to submit in time for the next Daniel Craig instalment.

In recent years modern pop stars like Sam Smith and Adele have nabbed the part and Dua Lipa (below) has been tipped to record the next song.

But Alfie thinks it’s about time Bond returns to its theatrical roots like Shirley Bassey and Louis Armstrong’s takes.

He told me: “I’ve actually written a James Bond theme – it has the words, and the big old brass sowing vibe to it.

“Kind of following the James Bond tunes, it has that vibe.”

With Bond 25 likely to be delayed as they search for a new director, Alfie’s hoping he can submit the track in time for Daniel’s final outing as the spy.

He added: “I’ve not submitted it yet I’m still tweaking it and fine tuning it but we will get there.”
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yeah she directed Monster over a decade ago and hadn't directed a theatrical movie ever since until WW. She'd been doing TV work all that time.

The argument against SJ Clarkson is coming from nowhere but pure dislike of the way she looks, and it's so unfortunate that other members are inadvertently validating Panchito's bullshit.

I mean, has anyone seen Martin Campbell's pre-GoldenEye feature films? Does anyone see anything in them that made him suitable for Bond? Made him suitable to handle a big budget feature? His progression is actually strikingly similar to that of Demange/Clarkson, and he produced two great Bond flicks.

Contrary to the bull being posted above, Clarkson has one theatrically released feature on her resumé. I don't know if she's suitable, but the arguments being made against her are pure guff. I had thought this place was better than this, but it seems that standards have dropped immensely along with IQs. And posting hate-filled comments about someone's spectacles is now where we're at.

So disappointing.
    @doubleoego Feige wants competent directors, who are not too competent. Meaning they will never hire somone like Sam Mendes or Danny Boyle to direct one of their films. They want directors who follows directions. At the end of the day, Marvel movies are cookie cutter films. They were always producer driven movies, and probably always will be.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Contrary to the bull being posted above, Clarkson has one theatrically released feature on her resumé.
    Really? Care to post the link to the imdb site of that film?

This is a TV film and premiered on BBC One.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    It is a mystery why no American has ever directed a James Bond film. Richard Maibaum - arguably the definitive Bond film screenwriter - was American. If you can hire an American to come up with Bond's dialogue, why can't you hire an American to direct the character?

My guess is if Eon sell up and a big studio own 50 percent of Bond - an American will direct a Bond film. My gut feeling is Bond 25 won't be hiring the likes of McQuarrie, Liman etc.

That's a big risk then, especially if Bond will be the first. I'm not saying she can't do it, but it's a risk.

Directing top end and high budget TV requires a huge skill set. Eon need a director to step up (fast) and take over a production which is already well advanced in terms of script, production design, tight schedule, and potential casting re: established characters, etc.. That is what top-end TV directors do. That is their skill set. Join the dots, and see where it leads.

This was posted a couple days ago by a Instagram account claiming to report movie news. I have done some preliminary checking and it doesn't seem they break news just report it so the validity comes into question. Just thought I would post it.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Will we get any official announcement about the director this month?
    @doubleoego Feige wants competent directors, who are not too competent. Meaning they will never hire somone like Sam Mendes or Danny Boyle to direct one of their films. They want directors who follows directions. At the end of the day, Marvel movies are cookie cutter films. They were always producer driven movies, and probably always will be.

Not true. It's a very fine line, a delciate dance. Producers and Studios want/need a director with passion and good and strong ideas and, importantly, with leadership skills, but they also need to keep their project or franchise on track. They do not hire mules just to carry the load - that would be a disaster.

It is a difficult balance, and, in the case of Boyle, who is very independent (I can tell u he has huge power on the WT/Universal Beetles film), it can topple over. But no smart producer hires a "Yes man" to direct their film because that man or woman has to walk on set, every day for many months, and command respect from a vast crew and from serious actors. No one follows a mule unless they are a mule themselves.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,034
    Contrary to the bull being posted above, Clarkson has one theatrically released feature on her resumé.
    Really? Care to post the link to the imdb site of that film?

This is a TV film and premiered on BBC One.

....and was released theatrically on 11 August 2011, for those willing to acknowledge all the facts, and not just those that suit their frankly awfully conceited point of view. Where it was premiered is irrelevant. Your point was that she has never had a theatrically released film and the proof that it is incorrect is right there.

It wasn't a bad flick either for a romantic drama, which I usually dislike. Nothing remotely Bondian in it, of course. But that's a separate issue and only really something one could comment on if they had actually seen it.

The next thing is that she has never directed a big-budget flick. Neither had Martin Campbell, and neither, as @doubleoego pointed out above, had Patty Jenkins.

The argument you're presenting is inherently flawed. Just admit that you don't like her because of the way she looks so we can laugh at you some more and move on.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    I think losing Boyle may be a gift. I'd love Yann Demange to land the gig. '71 had action that all related to plot, and he was able to convey tension masterfully.

On another note, it's really sad to see you guys falling out over something we're all collectively very passionate about. Peace...
    A list of female directors I would LOVE to see direct a Bond film:
    Kathryn Bigelow
    Sofia Coppola (easily one of my top 10 favourite directors ever)
    Angelina Jolie
    Debra Granik
    Sarah Polley
    Julie Taymor
    Kimberly Peirce

If they hire SJ Clarkson, I will have no interest in watching BOND 25.
    Regarding big budget experience and/or TV show experience: I can't really see the issue, as TV shows more than often delivers equal or better entertainment than many big budget blockbusters, on a tighter budget, and on a production where you have to wrap up filming quickly before moving on to the next episode.

Regarding S.J Clarkson, I thought I was completely unfamiliar with what she's done, but as it happens, I've watched episodes she's directed of Life on Mars, Whitechapel (a series I really liked), Hunted (a spy drama), and Jessica Jones.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    I think losing Boyle may be a gift. I'd love Yann Demange to land the gig. '71 had action that all related to plot, and he was able to convey tension masterfully.

On another note, it's really sad to see you guys falling out over something we're all collectively very passionate about. Peace...

I'm thinking the same out of so called disaster will come a great Bond film that will be likely (not definite) be Craig's swansong.

We should all at least want a Bond to go out in style rather than the usual direction actors tenure's go in.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    A list of female directors I would LOVE to see direct a Bond film:
    Kathryn Bigelow
    Sofia Coppola (easily one of my top 10 favourite directors ever)
    Angelina Jolie
    Debra Granik
    Sarah Polley
    Julie Taymor
    Kimberly Peirce

If they hire SJ Clarkson, I will have no interest in watching BOND 25.

What is it specifically you don't like?
    Where it was premiered is irrelevant.
    It's not. Her only feature film is a made for TV movie. This is a fact.
    That we are going from Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle to a complete nobody.

I would take Yann Demange any day of the week over Bart Layton, and I would take Bart Layton any day of the week over SJ Clarkson. Btw, I just had a funny thought: what if the names Bart Layton and SJ Clarkson were deliberately leaked by EON to lower the bar, so when they announce Demange, everyone will rejoice? :))
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,087
    That we are going from Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle to a complete nobody.

Gotcha. Yeah, does seem a bit crazy, too wait four+ years for Craig to return, for a likely standalone adventure from an unknown. Wouldn't exactly "fit" with the rest of the era, which was their whole modus operandi.
    Regarding big budget experience and/or TV show experience: I can't really see the issue, as TV shows more than often delivers equal or better entertainment than many big budget blockbusters, on a tighter budget, and on a production where you have to wrap up filming quickly before moving on to the next episode.

Regarding S.J Clarkson, I thought I was completely unfamiliar with what she's done, but as it happens, I've watched episodes she's directed of Life on Mars, Whitechapel (a series I really liked), Hunted (a spy drama), and Jessica Jones.

Absolutely. Directing TV is no joke - it of course takes longer and there are as many, if not more, elements to juggle. Especially when you're taking on something in the thriller genre, or directing episodes of a Marvel TV show with an $70+ budget for the season.

It could be Clarkson, it could be Demange. Personally, I'd go with Demange on account of how much I liked '71.
    I would never in a million years have guessed that Waititi would have been able to reinvigorate and reimagine Thor, getting such charismatic performances from his cast, but he did.

Likewise. Waititi is nowhere close to being a household name. I believe before he made Ragnarok he made 2 small films, a bunch of shorts and did TV work...then BAM! He revitalises Thor and the Hulk as characters, critically acclaimed movie, $854M at the BO.....sell it in the room and have the producers properly do their jobs and disappointment is more than minimised.

Likewise. Waititi is nowhere close to being a household name. I believe before he made Ragnarok he made 2 small films, a bunch of shorts and did TV work...then BAM! He revitalises Thor and the Hulk as characters, critically acclaimed movie, $854M at the BO.....sell it in the room and have the producers properly do their jobs and disappointment is more than minimised.
    Waititi is not comperable to SJ Clarkson, Waititi was already well-known at least among movie fans before he got hired to do Thor. SJ Clarkson is a complete nobody. Do you know who is on the same level right now Waititi was on right before he got the job to do Thor? Yann Demange.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    It's Boe, Alfie Boe: Star announces bid for Bond theme tune
    https://dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/728334/alfie-boe-bond25-theme-tune-song-james-bond-film-bid

The Les Misérables star has revealed he has recorded an 007 soundtrack that he plans to submit in time for the next Daniel Craig instalment.

In recent years modern pop stars like Sam Smith and Adele have nabbed the part and Dua Lipa (below) has been tipped to record the next song.

But Alfie thinks it’s about time Bond returns to its theatrical roots like Shirley Bassey and Louis Armstrong’s takes.

He told me: “I’ve actually written a James Bond theme – it has the words, and the big old brass sowing vibe to it.

“Kind of following the James Bond tunes, it has that vibe.”

With Bond 25 likely to be delayed as they search for a new director, Alfie’s hoping he can submit the track in time for Daniel’s final outing as the spy.

He added: “I’ve not submitted it yet I’m still tweaking it and fine tuning it but we will get there.”

Never heard of this guy have to check him out but he sounds more like an inspired choice than dua lipa.
    You spout off, but it's based on what? SJ Clarkson is, and has been for ages now, a top international TV director. The TV and Film Industry, very established producers, have been impressed with her work, hence she has many high end TV credits to her name now. That is why Paramount hired her for ST4- and she is on Eon's radar for Bond 25.

Competent but not competent?
    No. Feige is a film producer. He has a job to do and part of that job is to hire someone who can fit the job criteria he is looking for and advertised. Ryan Coogler had complete creative freedom for his black panther film. At 33 years old and only 2 movies to his name before Feige gave him the job, no Bond director got the same creative freedom Feige afforded to Coogler and irreslective of one's opinion of the black panther movie, look at the outcome..again, critically acclaimed, $1.3Billion at the BO, highest grossing domestic movie of the year and only the 3rd film in history to domestically cross $700M....5 years ago no one knew who Coogler was, today many people STILL don't know who Coogler is but who really cares? For a producer, wherein lies the problem? These are films based on comic book characters, characters that were mostly B, C level and Feige who understands and lives the source material created a universe which he had a vision for. The decisions he's made as a producer has more than paid off. Casting of top talent, respecting the source material, turning obscure characters into household names, critical acclaim, a successful shared cinematic universe, multibillion dollar franchises, growing diversity of the characters in their stable, establishing new and an ever growing fan base and officially the most successful film studio in history in only 10 years....a film producer invests a lot into making a film and it's their job to oversee that their vested interests arent being wasted and that includes hiring the right person they feel has the capability to steward the film project and not blindly hire just because their name happens to be Newman or Nolan or whatever.

Absolutely. Directing TV is no joke - it of course takes longer and there are as many, if not more, elements to juggle. Especially when you're taking on something in the thriller genre, or directing episodes of a Marvel TV show with an $70+ budget for the season.

It could be Clarkson, it could be Demange. Personally, I'd go with Demange on account of how much I liked '71.

Clarkson, Demange, etc. it would be a shame to prejudge whichever up-and-coming name gets the gig (unless EON makes a u-turn at the very last minute and hires a household name). The idea of an unknown is more exciting than worrying, IMO.
    You spout off, but it's based on what? SJ Clarkson is, and has been for ages now, a top international TV director. The TV and Film Industry, very established producers, have been impressed with her work, hence she has many high end TV credits to her name now. That is why Paramount hired her for ST4- and she is on Eon's radar for Bond 25.
    Yes, Paramount hired her for a movie that will likely never get made.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-4-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-talks-fall-1133802

You can defend her all you want, but a director of her calibre won't cut it. Not after Marc Forster, Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle.
    Clarkson, Demange, etc. it would be a shame to prejudge whichever up-and-coming name gets the gig (unless EON makes a u-turn at the very last minute and hires a household name). The idea of an unknown is more exciting than worrying, IMO.
    I don't think you entirely understand the difference between Demange and SJ Clarkson. Demange is an exciting, up-and-coming movie director. SJ Clarkson is a complete nobody. I would be quite happy with Demange.

Absolutely. I agree with that very much. It's funny to see so many people who were so vocally against directors like Mendes after SP become so instantly dismissive of giving it to fresh talent as opposed to a big-name director who most likely would not give them the Bond that want.

Fresh, raw talent is exactly what is needed right now. Something a bit edgy - not necessarily in tone, but in execution.
    To be honest I can't see any of these names directing a Bond film. Demange maybe, but the others - not really. I can't help but think like this current plan, which they are prepping for, will not come to pass. Just an instinct.
    Yes, Paramount hired her for a movie that will likely never get made.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-4-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-talks-fall-1133802

You can defend her all you want, but a director of her calibre won't cut it. Not after Marc Forster, Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle.

Irrelevant. Hardly her fault that contract negotiations between the studio and the actors have stalled. Are you genuinely dim?
    I don't think you entirely understand the difference between Demange and SJ Clarkson. Demange is an exciting, up-and-coming movie director. SJ Clarkson is a complete nobody. I would be quite happy with Demange.

Wrong.