No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Only one man can save us now. =))
    22LFzaYl.jpg
    =))

Genius!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Murdock wrote: »
    Only one man can save us now. =))
    22LFzaYl.jpg

I did not break Q’s gadgets, it’s bulls**t. I did NOT. Oh hi M.
  • Danny Boyle was spotted at the Venice film festival this weekend

DmL57OBXcAMQEQv.jpg

Has anyone suggested Stephen Daldry as a possible replacement?
    He doesn’t look very happy...
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Daniel Craig is 4/4 for me. An unusually great time to be a Bond fan, even with 3-4 years between films.

Craig is 1.5/4 for me. I should clarify 1 is for the wonderful CR and the .5 is for Skyfall, which had some great, but also risable elements. Craig is probably my least favourite, but I still like him. My biggest gripe with his tenure has been the need to seemingly try to turn Bond into high art.

Still every time since 1962 has been a wonderful time to be a Bond fan, even if the recent era has been a sporty one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.

You seem to say this same thing over and over. I understand you're obvioulsy quite frustrated.

But for the foreseeable future, Barbra is going nowhere, so the very serious question I have for you @doubleoego is, without taking the piss: why are you still here? You're very upset and have expressed this many times, and you clearly have no faith in the future. So why not wash your hands of it all and move on? Enjoy the Bond films of the past, but give up until a re-cast? or until EoN is swallowed-up by a studio?

Why stick around in the present and remain so angry? This company, the producers, the lead actor, are no longer a part of your tastes.

And since Babs et al aren't going to leave, or change on your behalf, then what's the use of screaming into the wind?

I ask this with all sincerity.

I'm more concerned than I am angry and I'm here because I'm a fan. I'm interested in what the producers are doing with this movie series and i'm within my rights to comment, critique and criticise. However, with all the berating I give EoN one thing I always do is express their capability of doing and being better. It's within them and that's what's frustrating. I've never declared EoN as having no hope for future films; I've only expressed my opposition to their current lack of quality care and duty towards these projects even more so because of the experience they have. I'm not like some fans here who constantly give EoN a free pass. I'm not accepting that. Being a fan is more than just blind praise or constant criticism, there's a balance to it all that in the end offers some sort of belief and encouragement for better output. But I'm not subscribing to any excuses. My concerns and frustrations are not mine alone and if EoN aren't going to change, working this ever growing and increasingly saturated market and with the way they do things currently, before long the next documentary won't be about how Bond survived the odds but instead it'll be an inside look on what killed the Bond films. (Heaven forbid).

I've heard a few people on this forum give a very balanced opinion on EoN. And then I hear OTT nonsense that there are a few members on this site that can produce Bond films better than BB and MGW.

But unfortunately for all of us, it's all personal opinion anyways and, like it or not, these opinions will never change EoN or how they do business.

They have decades of experience under their belt, so really, what you, me, or keyboard warriors say, matters nothing in the scheme of things. They will continue walking to the beat of their own drum. At this point it's take it or leave it, but saying the same things in vitriol over and over won't change a thing.

What's amazing is that there are 7.5 billion people on this earth-- essentially four people have led the Bond franchise. That's impressive!

According to IMDb, 2,577 films on average are released yearly, worldwide, since around 1900. With an historic average of about 7 producers/film (today's average is 10), there are about 18, 000 producers working today.

Think about that for a second: 7.5 billion people on this earth, and less than 20 thousand are film producers. Even less are writers and directors.

If BB and MGW were so inept in a business as unforgiving as the film industry, it can be said with confidence, they would not still be a part of the 18,000.

And to think we have posters saying people on this site can produce a better Bond film than this brother and sister tagteam? With decades of experience under their belt? It's absurd. Most of us would be incapable of merely producing a successful short-film, let alone a successful Bond feature!

And to think we have posters saying people on this site can produce a better Bond film than this brother and sister tagteam? With decades of experience under their belt? It's absurd. Most of us would be incapable of merely producing a successful short-film, let alone a successful Bond feature!

Can't disagree with this.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Some much needed Craig positivity: Even though Craig is not my favorite Bond he seems quite 'lovely' in this video and the kid is great, too. Just try to imagine your younger self meeting Bond... Mindblowing
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,548
    Some much needed Craig positivity: Even though Craig is not my favorite Bond he seems quite 'lovely' in this video and the kid is great, too. Just try to imagine your younger self meeting Bond... Mindblowing

I loved this moment but couldn't get past the enormous elephant in the room: what parents let a kid this young watch all of those Bond films? While about 75% of any Bond film (except for LTK and QoS) is pretty tame, the other 25% is completely inappropriate.

Haha, I remember this. Great clip! :-D
    Good Dan showed the kid some proper ironing. I never like to wear unironed clothes myself.
  • Craig is probably my least favourite, but I still like him. My biggest gripe with his tenure has been the need to seemingly try to turn Bond into high art.
    Still every time since 1962 has been a wonderful time to be a Bond fan, even if the recent era has been a sporty one.

Yea. I'm exactly the same. I've enjoyed it all, and even though Craig's Bond is my least favourite, I've also really enjoyed the Craig era.
    I'm not sure about 'high art', but they've certainly tried to make it more, um, cerebral?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 832
    Connery: 5/6
    Lazenby: 1/1
    Moore: 5/7
    Dalton: 2/2
    Brosnan: 3/4
    Craig: 2/4

Note: CR and SF are ranked towards the top, TND is average, TWINE is below average, QOS and SP are slightly better than DAD. An issue with the Craig era is that they've aspired to more, which has paid off in some cases such as CR. However, and in great part due to the fact that Purvis and Wade simply aren't up to the challenge, the result is worse when they miss. QOS and SP have terrible scripts, and are hence among the worst films in the series. Purvis and Wade are more than capable of producing a by the numbers bond film, however, if eon's aspiration is high art, they should have been successfully replaced.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Danny Boyle was spotted at the Venice film festival this weekend
    Wow. He aged years in the last few months. I hope the Movie Godz will punish EON for what they did to him.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I saw the trailer for Godz. It looks interesting to say the least. ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,976
    We had to wait 3 years for SP and it was really underwhelming. Then we had to wait 4 years because they were "very tired". Now it looks like four years might not be enough. Is it any wonder that some have frustrations towards EON at this point. I mean how long are we supposed to remain bedazzled by CR and SF for that they don't have to actually deliver anything of quality?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In fact 2/3 of all Bond movies are mediocre playful fun entries. Almost every Roger movie and Pierce movie. Every Bond fan has a favorite actor and a personal poll but let's face the current state of things: you can blame EoN for whatever you want but with the last 2 (GREAT) outings they made 2 billions. They're hardly killing the franchise. I'm not a fan of the Moore/Dalton/Brosnan era but loving the character I always try to watch those movies with different eyes, more accommodating eyes.

That's why I will never understand why so many "fans" are still here like broken records complaining about SP... "SP is a fiasco"; "SP is a mess"; "I hate SP bland cinematography"; "worst 007 ever"; "SP ruined my life" etc etc. Okay, we got it. I probably saw a different movie. Can we please move on? Because this is frankly extremely annoying. Why don't you make a topic about that, where you can all complain together?
    Daniel Craig is 4/4 for me. An unusually great time to be a Bond fan, even with 3-4 years between films.

TOTALLY AGREE. Thanks EoN we had the Craig era! Now let's just hope they'll deliver again with 25. Even if a potential delay would be REALLY annoying I remain hopeful.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I dunno. I’ve remained bedazzled with the bulk of 24 films, @Mendes4Lyfe, for the past 41 years.

But to come on this site only to repeat what you said five minutes ago, will not make 25 come any sooner.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 832
    I don't think @Mendes4Lyfe complained about the series' success over the long run. Perfectly reasonable to assess mismanagement of bond more recently. Especially considering the entirely failed (imo) continuity attempted in the Craig era. (Doesn't detract at all from the greatness of CR and SF, I never cared about continuity in bond, and don't now).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    matt_u wrote: »
    In fact 2/3 of all Bond movies are mediocre playful fun entries. Almost every Roger movie and Pierce movie. Every Bond fan has a favorite actor and a personal poll but let's face the current state of things: you can blame EoN for whatever you want but with the last 2 (GREAT) outings they made 2 billions. They're hardly killing the franchise. I'm not a fan of the Moore/Dalton/Brosnan era but loving the character I always try to watch those movies with different eyes, more accommodating eyes.

That's why I will never understand why so many "fans" are still here like broken records complaining about SP... "SP is a fiasco"; "SP is a mess"; "I hate SP bland cinematography"; "worst 007 ever"; "SP ruined my life" etc etc. Okay, we got it. I probably saw a different movie. Can we please move on? Because this is frankly extremely annoying. Why don't you make a topic about that, where you can all complain together?

TOTALLY AGREE. Thanks EoN we had the Craig era! Now let's just hope they'll deliver again with 25. Even if a potential delay would be REALLY annoying I remain hopeful.

Well written, and you made me crack a grin...
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The brand would be stretched and as long as you want TV series & film spin offs? Plus Nolan wouldn't be around forever and who knows what a big studio would influence being cast as Bond.
    I would be happy to sacrifice the long term future of the Bond franchise for one truly first rate Bond movie written & directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas.

That's exactly where I am. EXACTLY. I just want one more Bond classic. I don't care about what happens after that. Probably a CGI Connery?

Even the Nolan pessimists have to admit that him directing a Bond film means PRACTICAL ACTION SHOT ON FILM. In other words, like how the other Bond films from the sixties and seventies were done. Nolan is a TRADITIONALIST, and that is a dying breed. Bond is a franchise that is steeped tradition

Even if you hate Nolan you have to concede, he will not give us a glossy digital CGI-fest. That is a big plus in my book.
    If you´re talking tradition, then why don´t you mention that more or less every shot from every Bond film up until and including QoS could be out of a holiday commercial? Bond films used to show places I want to be at when I see them. What Nolan shoots might fit perfectly for Batman, but he never once has shot anything lighted and exposed in a way that it looks uplifting. Even in the rare occasions the sun actually shines in a scene, Nolan makes it look bleak. And he´s by far not on the level of traditional Bond action, because he´s obsessed with a twilight zone where you´re not sure is it real or a dream. He just doesn´t do visceral action as Bond so many times excelled in.
  • *Fair critique is unreasonable* (Never suggested that i'm not "satisfied" with the craig era as a whole, we have two great films, and two terrible ones, only that the continuity failed)
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    What are the chances EON will hire this Italain Film Director?
    (Photo was taken today at the Venice Film Festival.)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Perhaps I’m just too negative, but I get the feeling they’re simply having a difficult time recruiting a willing replacement for a director. I don’t think we’ll be getting news anytime soon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @doubleoego, I value your insights and comments on this forum and hope you continue to express yourself as valiantly and honestly as you have done. What you write makes a lot of sense.

There's been a fair share of amateur psycho analysis written here over the past few weeks about specific members, the forum and the thread in general. I don't share that opinion of any of our members here. I can appreciate why some are especially frustrated, and in my view, you have every reason to feel that way. I share much of your concerns.

I say let's give them a month or so and see whether we get that director announcement. We don't really know what happened behind the scenes here and there's all sorts of rumours out there, much of it contradictory. First it was a casting disagreement, then it was Bond dying, then it was Craig being an a$$#0!*. Some or all of this may be true, but we just don't know for sure at this point.

Perhaps we can give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they had the good sense, after the SP debacle, to have a back up plan in place - especially given Boyle's known unfamiliarity and previously stated trepidation with this sort of production.

Like other members I anxiously await a director announcement soon. They know that expectations are high and that they have to deliver, especially after this wait. I expect nothing less than a kick 'a' entry for release in October/November 2019.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I like Nolan and we all know Nolan likes visceral... Come to think of it Nolan could have directed Spectre, the look and feel. This might be due to Hoyte van Hoytema, Nolan's DoP for Interstellar.
  • My dark horse candidate is Phillip Noyce, personally. Shame he looks pretty booked at the moment.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    MooreFun wrote: »
    My dark horse candidate is Phillip Noyce, personally. Shame he looks pretty booked at the moment.

Didn’t realize he was doing a lot of TV the past few years.

His next feature, Above Suspicion, has an interesting story.

I’m not sure if he’d be on EoN’s radar anymore.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My dark horse candidate is Phillip Noyce, personally. Shame he looks pretty booked at the moment.

Was he ever? I'd have been interested to know if his name was in contention at any point during the 90s.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    What's Morten Tyldum doing these days, other than being director/executive producer on the Jack Ryan TV series? He has one project listed on IMDb, but no release year mentioned. He read a script after meeting EON only a few years ago.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Was he ever? I'd have been interested to know if his name was in contention at any point during the 90s.

I would assume that would be a more realistic decade; he had some fresh hits then, and so on...