No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    No idea why EON hasn t found a new director yet. There are so many viable candidates on this board.
    Not sure about that, but there are definitely dozens of MI6Community members who would do a better job at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli and MGW do.

There is a useful 4 letter word you are full of it, where is @Murdock when you need him?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The brand would be stretched and as long as you want TV series & film spin offs? Plus Nolan wouldn't be around forever and who knows what a big studio would influence being cast as Bond.
    I would be happy to sacrifice the long term future of the Bond franchise for one truly first rate Bond movie written & directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas.

I can't believe what I'm reading. I truly can't. This sounds more like a Nolan fan than a Bond fan.

I completely see where he's coming from. I would rather have one more true classic like From Russia, or OHMSS which you can watch countless times and still be dazzled by, than ten more mediocre entries like QoS and SP.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The brand would be stretched and as long as you want TV series & film spin offs? Plus Nolan wouldn't be around forever and who knows what a big studio would influence being cast as Bond.
    I would be happy to sacrifice the long term future of the Bond franchise for one truly first rate Bond movie written & directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas.

I can't believe what I'm reading. I truly can't. This sounds more like a Nolan fan than a Bond fan.

I completely see where he's coming from. I would rather have one more true classic like From Russia, or OHMSS which you can watch countless times and still be dazzled by, than ten more mediocre entries like QoS and SP.
    I'd love a Nolan Bond film, but not at the expense of the future of the franchise.

I can live with mediocre playful and fun entries churned out every two years like we got in the 80's, but draw the line at waiting 3-4 years for mediocre navel gazing crap like we've had most recently.

@Panchito is prone to exaggeration, but his overall point re EON is a valid one. They can and should do better. We are all waiting for a knockout entry next year for the promised 'high'.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'd love a Nolan Bond film, but not at the expense of the future of the franchise.

I can live with mediocre playful and fun entries churned out every two years like we got in the 80's, but draw the line at waiting 3-4 years for mediocre navel gazing crap like we've had most recently.

@Panchito is prone to exaggeration, but his overall point re EON is a valid one. They can and should do better. We are all waiting for a knockout entry next year for the promised 'high'.

Fair enough he can criticise elements of this era but to say members of this board could do better than BB & MGW is utterly ludicrous.

He has no idea what he's talking about and is just some frustrated keyboard warrior.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318

Fair enough he can criticise elements of this era but to say members of this board could do better than BB & MGW is utterly ludicrous.

He has no idea what he's talking about and is just some frustrated keyboard warrior.

How is it ludicrous? Perhaps there are some very talented members on this board with a credible vision, perhaps closer to Fleming's vision. I wouldn't be surprised, as Babs was 'just' born into it, being the daughter of the man himself, Albert. Don't underestimate the power of the Mi6 forums ;)
    No idea why EON hasn t found a new director yet. There are so many viable candidates on this board.
    Not sure about that, but there are definitely dozens of MI6Community members who would do a better job at producing Bond movies than Barbara Broccoli and MGW do.

No offence, but you seem to revel in pessimism. Your posts are relentless!
  • peter wrote: »
    The Barbara Broccoli - Michael G Wilson team is batting 3/7. On one had you have GE, CR and SF, on the other hand you have TND, TWINE, DAD, QOS and SP.

I wasn't exactly a fan of some of the Moore years, and I wasn't a fan of the Brosnan years, so the Craig Era has been the most successful for me since Connery.

However, I was always a James Bond fan through these times and never doubted the future. I just watched more Connery and spent a lot more time with Ian Fleming's books.

But it doesn't matter in the end, what your opinions are, or mine.

EoN is still standing, and not barely. Whether you like the films or no, they have been remarkable at the WW Box Office...

In the past, TMWTGG almost sunk the franchise...; in the 80s the Bond films started to generally make less and less.

There were lawsuits and delays.

But here we are going into the 25th film and close to 60 years of cinematic history. I think Barbra and Co. are doing quite well.

What heightens the frustration is that Craig is the best bond since Connery, yet has the worst record (2/4) of any bond. (Purely in terms of "hits vs misses").

I can forgive the occasional mediocre film for the sake of the franchise. If we had the choice between one great film – and no more films, and a run of entertaining but mid-table ranked films, I'd go for the latter, for the sake of content.

I do hope this is a joke?
    This is comparable to football fans with no managerial experience claiming they could do a better job than top tier football managers after one bad result. They don't know the inner workings of a club, they're not on the field watching the players every day, and in the end, their not the ones making difficult decisions based on opposition and/or tactics.

A strange comparison, but in both cases fields which requires a whole lot more than what it looks like on the outside. Frankly, this claim you're making is ridiculous.
    He’s 3/4 for me, CR and SF being two of the best in the whole series and QoS being a solid hit. SP is a miss though. Connery though is a whopping 5/6 for me, DAF being the only big misstep.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

There is a useful 4 letter word you are full of it, where is @Murdock when you need him?

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif?ssl=1

I'm just enjoying the show at this point. :))
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    The Barbara Broccoli - Michael G Wilson team is batting 3/7. On one had you have GE, CR and SF, on the other hand you have TND, TWINE, DAD, QOS and SP.

I wasn't exactly a fan of some of the Moore years, and I wasn't a fan of the Brosnan years, so the Craig Era has been the most successful for me since Connery.

However, I was always a James Bond fan through these times and never doubted the future. I just watched more Connery and spent a lot more time with Ian Fleming's books.

But it doesn't matter in the end, what your opinions are, or mine.

EoN is still standing, and not barely. Whether you like the films or no, they have been remarkable at the WW Box Office...

In the past, TMWTGG almost sunk the franchise...; in the 80s the Bond films started to generally make less and less.

There were lawsuits and delays.

But here we are going into the 25th film and close to 60 years of cinematic history. I think Barbra and Co. are doing quite well.

What heightens the frustration is that Craig is the best bond since Connery, yet has the worst record (2/4) of any bond. (Purely in terms of "hits vs misses").

Dalton > Craig any day of the week (imo)
    If we’re counting up certain actors hits against their misses then I must admit that George and Tim have perfect records in my books!
    TR007 wrote: »
    If we’re counting up certain actors hits against their misses then I must admit that George and Tim have perfect records in my books!

George is the hit machine! Only classic(s)!

George certainly is an acquired taste

That is true. I love his performance in OHMSS, and have no issues with his Bond.

True. Even though TLD isn’t my favorite, I’d count it as a hit. I love LTK and really love OHMSS. Brosnan’s track record is definitely the spottiest. With Craig, whether Bond 25 is a hit or not, I’d see his overall era as a success because his first 3 are the second best run of 3 after Connery’s first 3 to me.
    It’s coming next year that much I can put money on
    Murdock wrote: »

I'm just enjoying the show at this point. :))

Same here
    FoxRox wrote: »

True. Even though TLD isn’t my favorite, I’d count it as a hit. I love LTK and really love OHMSS. Brosnan’s track record is definitely the spottiest. With Craig, whether Bond 25 is a hit or not, I’d see his overall era as a success because his first 3 are the second best run of 3 after Connery’s first 3 to me.

Truth be told I have a lot of love for Pierce’s first three movies. I think GE, TND and TWINE are all fantastic entries in the series. I certainly agree that regardless of Bond 25 the Craig era will have a legacy of being a solid and hugely successful period for the franchise.

edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043

That is true. I love his performance in OHMSS, and have no issues with his Bond.

My favourite entry and I much prefer him over Brosnan.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    peter wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.

You seem to say this same thing over and over. I understand you're obvioulsy quite frustrated.

But for the foreseeable future, Barbra is going nowhere, so the very serious question I have for you @doubleoego is, without taking the piss: why are you still here? You're very upset and have expressed this many times, and you clearly have no faith in the future. So why not wash your hands of it all and move on? Enjoy the Bond films of the past, but give up until a re-cast? or until EoN is swallowed-up by a studio?

Why stick around in the present and remain so angry? This company, the producers, the lead actor, are no longer a part of your tastes.

And since Babs et al aren't going to leave, or change on your behalf, then what's the use of screaming into the wind?

I ask this with all sincerity.

I'm more concerned than I am angry and I'm here because I'm a fan. I'm interested in what the producers are doing with this movie series and i'm within my rights to comment, critique and criticise. However, with all the berating I give EoN one thing I always do is express their capability of doing and being better. It's within them and that's what's frustrating. I've never declared EoN as having no hope for future films; I've only expressed my opposition to their current lack of quality care and duty towards these projects even more so because of the experience they have. I'm not like some fans here who constantly give EoN a free pass. I'm not accepting that. Being a fan is more than just blind praise or constant criticism, there's a balance to it all that in the end offers some sort of belief and encouragement for better output. But I'm not subscribing to any excuses. My concerns and frustrations are not mine alone and if EoN aren't going to change, working this ever growing and increasingly saturated market and with the way they do things currently, before long the next documentary won't be about how Bond survived the odds but instead it'll be an inside look on what killed the Bond films. (Heaven forbid).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Daniel Craig is 4/4 for me. An unusually great time to be a Bond fan, even with 3-4 years between films.

My favourite entry and I much prefer him over Brosnan.

It's a top three entry for me as well, along with FRWL and TB. Those three have been so for years. Brosnan's performance in the role is debatable (in lack of a better word), but I have always liked him as Bond.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I've seen much better ideas about SPECTRE around these boards than what we've seen on screen, to be fair.
    Chris Nolan is needed more than ever. Bale for Bond after Craig bows out?
    Oof r.i.p. Bond franchise.
    Whether or not they have to move the release date there is still going to be a ticking clock over this production. They hardly have time to start again with a new script, especially if sets are being built, locations confirmed, actors and crew contracted. Won’t EON need a director who will step into Boyle’s shoes and follow their instructions?
    Surely it’s far too costly and risky for them to hire someone with a new vision who wants to do a different story?
    With all of this in mind, it’s going to prove tricky to find a director of note who is happy to come onboard a project that’s already up and running in terms of pre-production.
    Marc Forster
  • peterpeter Toronto

Uh... No.
    Only one man can save us now. =))
    22LFzaYl.jpg
    Murdock wrote: »

I think I had a hat when I came in.