No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,756
    What about Tom Ford? He has nothing on his plate right now. And he worked on QOS.

I would much prefer Tom Ford to the directors currently listed at the moment. Save Marc Foster.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It’s just funny to me when I see folks hoping for WHITE BOY RICK (haha) to succeed or get good reviews.

It’s a bit like... man, I hope DUMB & DUMBER is a success so that next year GOLDENEYE can be an awesome Bond film!!

Is that a stretch? Well, how about... dude, LEGENDS OF THE FALL better get some great reviews or I’m worried that GOLDENEYE might suck next year!

:) Let’s compare apples to apples.

When the Farrelly Brothers or Ed Zwick are known to be on the shortlist to direct a Bond film, that might be a valid point to make. I would certainly be hoping that their preceeding film be well-received, even if only for appearances.
    For me it doesn’t matter at all. I certainly don’t want my Bond to be anything like RICK WHITE BOY, so the latter’s success means nothing. Just like I don’t care in the slightest that Mendes had directed AMERICAN BEAUTY and it was well received and went on to win an Oscar. I care nothing for that film and only like SKYFALL on its own merits as a well-done Bond film. Just like I love Campbell’s GE and CR but I’m rather indifferent towards his ZORRO films. At least Bond and Zorro are both in the action genre but even then one doesn’t have much of a bearing on the other.

You're missing the point, I think. You're comparing quality of the films and your own tastes, whereas I'm referring to any anticipation/hype a director will bring to a Bond film when they're coming off a recently successful flick.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    It’s just funny to me when I see folks hoping for WHITE BOY RICK (haha) to succeed or get good reviews.

It’s a bit like... man, I hope DUMB & DUMBER is a success so that next year GOLDENEYE can be an awesome Bond film!!

Is that a stretch? Well, how about... dude, LEGENDS OF THE FALL better get some great reviews or I’m worried that GOLDENEYE might suck next year!

:) Let’s compare apples to apples.

When the Farrelly Brothers or Ed Zwick are known to be on the shortlist to direct a Bond film, that might be a valid point to make. I would certainly be hoping that their preceeding film be well-received, even if only for appearances.
    For me it doesn’t matter at all. I certainly don’t want my Bond to be anything like RICK WHITE BOY, so the latter’s success means nothing. Just like I don’t care in the slightest that Mendes had directed AMERICAN BEAUTY and it was well received and went on to win an Oscar. I care nothing for that film and only like SKYFALL on its own merits as a well-done Bond film. Just like I love Campbell’s GE and CR but I’m rather indifferent towards his ZORRO films. At least Bond and Zorro are both in the action genre but even then one doesn’t have much of a bearing on the other.

Some of us feel more confident in a director based on reputation and ability to succeed in a broad range of areas. I don't care about White Boy Rick either, but when I read that review saying Demange's directorial skills helped make the film better than it should be then that leads to feeling he could take what is already a mess of a Bond production and make something out of it and a fresh take for the series after two films of Mendes.

Exactly. It'd be nice to not care and just focus on the endgame, but I think now it'd be too simplistic to have that approach - especially considering how many names get tossed around.
    I don’t buy it. One only need look at Forster - he was brought on precisely because of praised films like Monster’s Ball, Finding Neverland, Kite Runner. A lot of good that did for the Bond franchise. Sometimes it’s just a crapshoot. So better to just go with an action director.

Sigh. Anyway....

Yes, I'd like an action director too. But it's unlikely while we still have Craig.
  • What about Tom Ford? He has nothing on his plate right now. And he worked on QOS.

I would much prefer Tom Ford to the directors currently listed at the moment. Save Marc Foster.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Nocturnal Animals but the movie LOOKED great, I have no doubt he'd deliver a stylish, colorful looking Bond film and Craig would probably look his best (post-CR) with him behind the camera.
    Could demange be too busy with love craft to do bond 25?
    No, he’s only directing the first episode of Lovecraft County.

Demange’s White Boy Rick isn’t creating the right buzz at the moment, that’s for sure. Variety says: it’s hard to get too worked up when the movie itself is such a jumble. IndieWire also calls it bland. These are just 2 reviews that I’ve stumbled upon and they both knock Demange’s big Hollywood debut movie. I still don’t see why some of you elevated this guy to the number one position as director for Bond 25 solely based on one movie, when it was obvious one needed to see more output from him before erecting the bunting and premature celebrations. I’m still inclined to go with David Mackenzie, personally, if he’s still available.
  • If not Forster, then who better than Daniel Craig?

This could be the start of a new involvement in the franchise to maintain the vision he has after he plays 007 on screen.

What better way for Bond 25 to move forward?

Forster or Craig is my vote.

We should have a poll for the next director.
  • Craig would fire himself before he sat down in the director’s seat.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Librarian wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    bring back forster

Yes!

No!
    Quantum of Solace was the weakest movie from Craig era as 007.

It really wasn't. The weakest movie of the Craig era by far is SP. It's not even close. SP was just embarrassing.
    I don’t understand all this love for Forester all of a sudden. He made a terrible film with QOS.
    If you’re looking for someone to direct the next Bourne movie, then that’s your guy. Please keep him away from Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TR007 wrote: »
    I don’t understand all this love for Forester all of a sudden. He made a terrible film with QOS.
    If you’re looking for someone to direct the next Bourne movie, then that’s your guy. Please keep him away from Bond.

Well I love QOS so that’s why I want Forster to come back.
  • TR007 wrote: »

Pretty good script-less film I would’ve thought. Could’ve been a disaster.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TR007 wrote: »

I agree wholeheartedly!
  • In any case, I find QoS much more watchable than the Mendes double.
    I had a dream about watching Danny Boyle's Bond 25 last night. It wasn't only the weirdest Bond movie ever, it was one of the weirdest movies ever made, period. At the same time, it was incredibly enjoyable. It even had a musical number in it (no, Bond himself wasn't singing).
  • I say just give it to Amy Heckerling and let her direct one. I’m a big fan of EUROPEAN VACATION.
  • TR007 wrote: »

Considering Forster was engaged in the cinematic equivalent of landing a plane with no engines, on fire, I'd say he did pretty good. I also doubt he would make the same film today he did in 2008.
    I've heard stories about the filming of World War Z and Forster's leadership qualities from someone who has worked on that film. Simply put, Forster is an incompetent director and I don't want him anywhere near Bond 25.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That's because you're too busy offering sacrifices at the alter of Nolan.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    world war z is a bit of a black mark against his name. but all directors have ups and downs.

world war z isn't actually that bad - just a middling zombie action disaster film. bit generic and soulless

he's proven he can handle drama and action though - a rare combination.

I doubt Disney would have recently employed him if he was incompetent

I'm not saying he's my favourite director but I think he did good work on QOS considering the constraints.

qos is one of those films, like OHMSS and LTK that had a lukewarm reception on release and are forever going to be considered duds within the popular imagination, but which upon closer inspection and actually pretty decent. okay OHMSS is more than pretty decent but you get my point
    doubleoego wrote: »
    That's because you're too busy offering sacrifices at the alter of Nolan.

:))
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Come on Paul Greengrass, nows your big chance to direct a Bond film!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Come on Paul Greengrass, nows your big chance to direct a Bond film!

A. NO!
    B. Isn't he a critic of Bond?
    absolutely no to greengrass. he's a bit of a one trick pony but if you want the return of the shaky cam then he's your man.

And yes he's made some lame anti Bond comments from some dreary left wing perspective. utterly un suited to Bond as he simply doesn't 'get it'.

having said that his first 2 Bourne films are great, although i still love the first one that he didn't direct.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    absolutely no to greengrass. he's a bit of a one trick pony but if you want the return of the shaky cam then he's your man.

And yes he's made some lame anti Bond comments from some dreary left wing perspective. utterly un suited to Bond as he simply doesn't 'get it'.

having said that his first 2 Bourne films are great, although i still love the first one that he didn't direct.

Yes to all of this.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Yeah i know Greengrass wouldn't do it the dirty leftie, but i just love his directing style! One of the best action directors around.
    Yeah i know Greengrass wouldn't do it the dirty leftie, but i just love his directing style! One of the best action directors around.

I liked it as well, the first couple of times. then it just feels tired IMO
    I've always disliked his action scenes. Greengrass is at his best when he is making thrillers based on real life events (United 93, Captain Phillips), which is why I'm really looking forward to his next film, 22 July.

I liked it as well, the first couple of times. then it just feels tired IMO
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't feel they would go with an unknown director because Daniel Craig probably wouldn't like it. Remember he was instrumental in the hiring of both Mendes and Boyle.
    I don't feel they would go with an unknown director because Daniel Craig probably wouldn't like it. Remember he was instrumental in the hiring of both Mendes and Boyle.

I can't see EON going for an unknown either really. They've just produced 2 huge blockbusters - amongst the most successful in the series. Why would they go for an unknown to do the follow up?

Ron Howard or Ridley Scott please.

I watched half of Bladerunner 49 last night (it's long so only got halfway through). I also found it rather turgid and dull. Not convinced Villeneuve is actually right for Bond. But the visuals were great. There were one or two moments with the production design - some of the interiors - where I was thinking 'why can't Bond look like that'? The crater base in SP had potential but was a damp squib. Would love it if Bond could really nail some stunning production design.
    There were one or two moments with the production design - some of the interiors - where I was thinking 'why can't Bond look like that'?
    Funny thing is, BR 2049 had the same cinematographer and the same production designer as Skyfall.