No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I can’t understand why folks are going nuts over this new director Yann something.
    He was one of the top 3 candidates to direct BOND 25 before they decided to go with Boyle. Now that Boyle has left the project, it's only natural his name came up again.
    Regarding Demange, I would rather they take the chance on him (or someone similar) than delaying the production and release date.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    His debut, '71, was really good. Much better than I thought it would be. I'm not sure how that makes him suitable for a Bond film necessarily (unless they have something very specific in mind for the next one), but his first film is certainly worth a viewing for those who've not yet done so.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 646
    It’s just funny to me when I see folks hoping for WHITE BOY RICK (haha) to succeed or get good reviews.

It’s a bit like... man, I hope DUMB & DUMBER is a success so that next year GOLDENEYE can be an awesome Bond film!!

Is that a stretch? Well, how about... dude, LEGENDS OF THE FALL better get some great reviews or I’m worried that GOLDENEYE might suck next year!

:) Let’s compare apples to apples.
  • Which option do you think is most likely:

A. They have a director already locked down, just waiting for a good time to announce.

B. They have someone in negotiations, will soon be a done deal.

C. They have a shortlist of names which they are pursuing with interest from candidates.

D. They are still searching for candidates.

C
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Nordic actors being sought? Excellent.
    No gloves here, please. Take them off to fight about Craig elsewhere (like a Spectre thread).
    Director announcement will be sometime this month - just my guess.
    Not worried, just keenly interested at this point.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It’s just funny to me when I see folks hoping for WHITE BOY RICK (haha) to succeed or get good reviews.

It’s a bit like... man, I hope DUMB & DUMBER is a success so that next year GOLDENEYE can be an awesome Bond film!!

Is that a stretch? Well, how about... dude, LEGENDS OF THE FALL better get some great reviews or I’m worried that GOLDENEYE might suck next year!

When the Farrelly Brothers or Ed Zwick are known to be on the shortlist to direct a Bond film, that might be a valid point to make. I would certainly be hoping that their preceeding film be well-received, even if only for appearances.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    bring back forster

Yes!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Forster is being mentioned only on this forum, I think.
    I don't mind a new director who is not as well established as Mendes was. But I don't want Forster back, for sure.
    Forster is being mentioned only on this forum, I think.
    I don't mind a new director who is not as well established as Mendes was. But I don't want Forster back, for sure.

I'd like Forster back. It's never going to happen, though.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    bring back forster

Yes!

No!
    Quantum of Solace was the weakest movie from Craig era as 007.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    No that is SPECTRE by far.
    Shardlake wrote: »

+1.

+1.

+2
    It's unlikely it would be Forster but I wouldn't be against it.
  • It’s just funny to me when I see folks hoping for WHITE BOY RICK (haha) to succeed or get good reviews.

When the Farrelly Brothers or Ed Zwick are known to be on the shortlist to direct a Bond film, that might be a valid point to make. I would certainly be hoping that their preceeding film be well-received, even if only for appearances.
    For me it doesn’t matter at all. I certainly don’t want my Bond to be anything like RICK WHITE BOY, so the latter’s success means nothing. Just like I don’t care in the slightest that Mendes had directed AMERICAN BEAUTY and it was well received and went on to win an Oscar. I care nothing for that film and only like SKYFALL on its own merits as a well-done Bond film. Just like I love Campbell’s GE and CR but I’m rather indifferent towards his ZORRO films. At least Bond and Zorro are both in the action genre but even then one doesn’t have much of a bearing on the other.

• peterpeter Toronto
    It's unlikely it would be Forster but I wouldn't be against it.

note @Shardlake : I tried the other email address and sent through to you!

P
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 12,270

I'm afraid so. I used to prefer SP over QoS, but that has definitely changed in the last year or so. My order for Craig's Bond films is pretty set at the moment as: CR > SF > QoS > SP. Right now, all I ask is for a better one than SP, which to me wasn't terrible but still the most lacking for sure of Craig's films.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I'm afraid so. I used to prefer SP over QoS, but that has definitely changed in the last year or so. My order for Craig's Bond films is pretty set at the moment as: CR > SF > QoS > SP. Right now, all I ask is for a better one than SP, which to me wasn't terrible but still the most lacking for sure of Craig's films.

SP was the first time I left the theatre after watching a Bond film disappointed. Hopefully Bond 25 won't be the same experience.
  • James Bond cliffhanger ending teased for next 007 movie after Danny Boyle quits
    Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/02/james-bond-cliffhanger-ending-teased-for-next-007-movie-after-danny-boyle-quits-7905197/?ito=cbshare
    sec_27702217-ee36.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C338

The article states that filming was originally scheduled to begin in December but it is now expected to commence in January. It seems the plan is still to stick to 2019.

Also, despite the large festival presence, Yann Demange's latest film is getting tepid to poor reviews:
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/white-boy-rick-review-matthew-mcconaughey-telluride-2018-1201999784/

I assume he may not be the 'frontrunner' we expected.

Guys: Read the story. You will see it is a summary of an Aug. 31 story in The Mirror.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    James Bond cliffhanger ending teased for next 007 movie after Danny Boyle quits
    Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/02/james-bond-cliffhanger-ending-teased-for-next-007-movie-after-danny-boyle-quits-7905197/?ito=cbshare
    sec_27702217-ee36.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C338

The article states that filming was originally scheduled to begin in December but it is now expected to commence in January. It seems the plan is still to stick to 2019.

Also, despite the large festival presence, Yann Demange's latest film is getting tepid to poor reviews:
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/white-boy-rick-review-matthew-mcconaughey-telluride-2018-1201999784/

I assume he may not be the 'frontrunner' we expected.

Guys: Read the story. You will see it is a summary of an Aug. 31 story in The Mirror.

I'm reading nothing because I don't trust any of these tabloids, especially because I'm not buying the notion that EON wanted to kill Bond.

+1.

+2

+3
  • Would it be technically possible for them to make BOND 25 without a director?

No.
    FoxRox wrote: »

That would be my ranking although I thought SP was atrocious and languishes at no. 24, I know there are worse films in the series like DAD or for me DAF possibly but SP isn't there for that it's there because it had potential for greatness and to me the era and I know this isn't shared by all but for me was pretty on point.

I understand it has issues but hell all the Bond's with multiple entries have issues and Craig's isn't suddenly the only one like some seem to believe has now cornered the market on this.

For me the constant apart from SP is DC, I think he delivers every time although I definitely saw an actor not so engaged in the role last time round but I think he'll back to prove something. So carry on with your negativity those who seem to be thriving on it, you are only going to spur him onto knock it out the park again.

Considering the publicity he got while he was making his entry and he just got on with the job. The difference is the media and it would seem some of the fans are hell bent on believing every picece of BS that turns, newspapers, because it's much more interesting to bad mouth people and run them down and fans do it because they have an agenda and slagging him off and blaming him or EON for it suits that.

Bond 25 will be with us on schedule and it will be a hell of a lot better than SPECTRE.

@peter got it mate, thanks.

For me it doesn’t matter at all. I certainly don’t want my Bond to be anything like RICK WHITE BOY, so the latter’s success means nothing. Just like I don’t care in the slightest that Mendes had directed AMERICAN BEAUTY and it was well received and went on to win an Oscar. I care nothing for that film and only like SKYFALL on its own merits as a well-done Bond film. Just like I love Campbell’s GE and CR but I’m rather indifferent towards his ZORRO films. At least Bond and Zorro are both in the action genre but even then one doesn’t have much of a bearing on the other.

Some of us feel more confident in a director based on reputation and ability to succeed in a broad range of areas. I don't care about White Boy Rick either, but when I read that review saying Demange's directorial skills helped make the film better than it should be then that leads to feeling he could take what is already a mess of a Bond production and make something out of it and a fresh take for the series after two films of Mendes.
    @Shardlake Good thoughts. SP still sits inside of my bottom 5 right now, above just DAD, DAF, and TMWTGG. SP has some notable highlights for me, despite its obvious shortcomings and general lack of energy. And I like your positive attitude for Bond 25 :)
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 2,115
    //I'm reading nothing because I don't trust any of these tabloids, especially because I'm not buying the notion that EON wanted to kill Bond.//

My point is if someone is going to cite a story and link it, he or she should actually read the story to see if it's actually new or rehashing somebody else's story.

You're missing the point, I think. You're comparing quality of the films and your own tastes, whereas I'm referring to any anticipation/hype a director will bring to a Bond film when they're coming off a recently successful flick.
    BT3366 wrote: »

Some of us feel more confident in a director based on reputation and ability to succeed in a broad range of areas. I don't care about White Boy Rick either, but when I read that review saying Demange's directorial skills helped make the film better than it should be then that leads to feeling he could take what is already a mess of a Bond production and make something out of it and a fresh take for the series after two films of Mendes.

Exactly. It'd be nice to not care and just focus on the endgame, but I think now it'd be too simplistic to have that approach - especially considering how many names get tossed around.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

But White Boy Rick was apparently underwhelming inspite of demange involvement.
  • It’s just funny to me when I see folks hoping for WHITE BOY RICK (haha) to succeed or get good reviews.

You're missing the point, I think. You're comparing quality of the films and your own tastes, whereas I'm referring to any anticipation/hype a director will bring to a Bond film when they're coming off a recently successful flick.

Exactly. It'd be nice to not care and just focus on the endgame, but I think now it'd be too simplistic to have that approach - especially considering how many names get tossed around.
    I don’t buy it. One only need look at Forster - he was brought on precisely because of praised films like Monster’s Ball, Finding Neverland, Kite Runner. A lot of good that did for the Bond franchise. Sometimes it’s just a crapshoot. So better to just go with an action director.

• edited September 2018 Posts: 677
    What about Tom Ford? He has nothing on his plate right now. And he worked on QOS.