No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 632
    Every tenure has an expiration date. I feel like they could have squeezed a fifth Craig film in 2018, but if there is another delay, and we don't get Bond 25 until summer 2020, then they should just recast. 2019 is already pushing it as it is.

To me, this felt like a very natural ending of an era, and I think they could (or should) have recast after SP. Craig has simply not been "my Bond", just like other people here feel about Brosnan.

To me, this was only him getting his traditional "wind up with the Bond Girl at the end" ending finally. We got a (mostly) traditional opening with the gunbarrel and bookended with a more traditional closing. Must be the optimist in me that he will return.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,533
    My first meaningful post, so forgive me if I'm slightly off-topic. I feel Craig's run ended with SPECTRE. It seems like EoN are trying get beyond a creative impasse, and that we're heading for another damp squib. They've had so much time to build things from the ground up, but we're now left with what looks like Quantum Of Solace: Part II.

QOS:Part 2. I like the idea.
    vzok wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    sad thing is if they'd had their act together they easily could have made 2 films between 2015 and 2019

But they’re all so tired.

Some actors are good at resting I hear.

Between 1961 and 1971, seven Bond films were written, filmed, released and I don't recall anyone complaining of tiredness....

Connery was tired of the producers at one point.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,291
    sad thing is if they'd had their act together they easily could have made 2 films between 2015 and 2019

Between 1961 and 1971, seven Bond films were written, filmed, released and I don't recall anyone complaining of tiredness....

Indeed. But within that period they recast the role, made one film, before returning to Connery for another film. (a bit of a side note, I know)
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Yes, interesting quote by Turner. I tend to agree. A lot of people seem to be pro-Tom Cruise fans on MI6 forum, and he is often quoted as saying he makes films to entertain people but surely he's making the likes of Mission Impossible etc for the huge pay cheque? It's naive to think otherwise. I doubt Cruise would hang from a helicopter's rope for 5, 10 or even 15 million dollars. 20 million and he'll do it.

Depending on your point of view, you could admire Craig for admitting he'd only return for the money. I doubt many/any other actor would be so frank. Sure, it suggests (or proves) he has no interest in the character/franchise, he's only interested in the cash but had Eon or MGM said "we're not paying you more than you got for SPECTRE" - I doubt he'd bother to return. Eon would have a new James Bond actor. We'd be arguing over the suitability of the new guy. ;)

It's often been cited Brosnan wanted too much for Bond film number 5 and was given the boot. Probably some truth to it.

Re rehearsal time - Turner could stick to acting in plays. I think they have a lot of rehearsal time!

Funny she would come out and say this now as you really don't hear a lot about actor salaries these days as you did 15-20-25 years ago, I'm thinking people like Julia Roberts and Jim Carey at their peaks. Consider there are very few new or really true stars out there anyway. I hear far more complaints about athlete salaries.

Sure Cruise is picking up a large check, the difference is he look at the extra work he puts in, doesn't just hang out in his trailer until called for a take. He's hands-on and if you're going to get a paycheck like that then that's earned. If you can get paid megabucks for doing what you love, getting to make the big decisions and do outrageous things to fulfill your adrenaline junkie side then more power to you.

Indeed. But within that period they recast the role, made one film, before returning to Connery for another film. (a bit of a side note, I know)

Their work ethic was certainly on another level compared to now.

It takes so long to organise and then get the movie out now.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,291

It does. After some very big budget Bond films, I wonder if they could have delivered films faster with a smaller budget, and a (predicted) shorter runtime.

It does. After some very big budget Bond films, I wonder if they could have delivered films faster with a smaller budget, and a (predicted) shorter runtime.

We'd all be better off if they weren't chasing another $1billion box office smash.

Boyle's scaled back approach would have been welcomed by many.

We'd all be better off if they weren't chasing another $1billion box office smash.

Boyle's scaled back approach would have been welcomed by many.

A tight spy thriller would have been great at this point.

Wonder if EON initially hiring Boyle can suggest that they're doing a scaled back film, or if they go back to a large scale one now that Boyle and Hodge are out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Have Scandinavian actors screentested now? First I hear of this.
    Have Scandinavian actors screentested now? First I hear of this.

News to me as well!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 2,107
    I don't know the original source, but a few daily rag has been reporting about it here in Finland.

If any of it is true, I would be glad. We've been overlooked for far too long.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I don't know the original source, but a few daily rag has been reporting about it here in Finland.

what does Finland have going for it that makes it a must see film location?
    SharkBait wrote: »

Do you concider yourself Scandinavian?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,588
    The broader list is said to be Scandinavian but includes actors from Finland and possibly other Nordic countries. The auditions themselves have taken place in Finland.
    Was Finland a suggested location for the Boyle/Hodge script?
    I've been reading up on it and apparently Denmark, Sweden, Norway regard themselves as Scandivian and then if you add in Finland and Iceland they'd define themselves as the 'Nordics'.

Much of the rest of the world just lumps them all together as Scandinavia (and I'm pretty sure Finland geographically is on the Scandinavian peninsular) but the linguistic and historical differences obviously make Finland quite distinct.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Was Finland a suggested location for the Boyle/Hodge script?
    Not that we know of, but it's possible.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Thanks for the clarification.

(and I'm pretty sure Finland geographically is on the Scandinavian peninsular)

It is not, but then again neither is Denmark.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Have these auditions taken place since Boyle left the movie? Are they seriously casting without a director?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Every tenure has an expiration date. I feel like they could have squeezed a fifth Craig film in 2018, but if there is another delay, and we don't get Bond 25 until summer 2020, then they should just recast. 2019 is already pushing it as it is.

To me, this felt like a very natural ending of an era, and I think they could (or should) have recast after SP. Craig has simply not been "my Bond", just like other people here feel about Brosnan.

This is how bad SP is, I don't buy Craig wearing those driving gloves as something his Bond would wear. His predecessors, sure but him? Nope. It just feels inauthentic and forced.
    at least he's not wearing a cravatte.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »

This is how bad SP is, I don't buy Craig wearing those driving gloves as something his Bond would wear. His predecessors, sure but him? Nope. It just feels inauthentic and forced.
    Indeed. Well said. That was one of this film's biggest sins. A man's got to know his limitations, as someone very famous once said. Sadly, this wasn't the case here in more ways than just the gloves, and it stained a portrayal to the extent that I'm disinterested in the future of this iteration. Stay, go, I couldn't care less any more. There was a time I did care and it's a shame (for me) that it's come to this.
    This isn't the only pair of gloves Craig has worn. Why is this different to those who are opposed?

What're the odds we hear news this week on the director?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

One of the reasons why I don't buy into the common thinking that the ending of SP was a good/natural send off for him. It's mediocre at best and plagued with odd touches that negatively distract from an already disappointing narrative. Craig deserves a better send off than that - the same way Brosnan deserved a better final film than Die Another Day.

Craig deserves a better send off than that -

Yes, get him some other gloves!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Craig deserves a better send off than that -

Yes, get him some other gloves!
    I'm afraid in this case it definitely didn't fit!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 832
    Reminder that sp was nothing close to a “natural ending” to the craig era (as if those exist in bond), was utter trash, that bond 25 will not feel “tacked on” in a series with weak continuity, and that there is still much unrealized potential for craig’s bond.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the gloves. Same goes for the white dinner jacket. I can't imagine the Bond of QOS wearing it.

One of the reasons why I don't buy into the common thinking that the ending of SP was a good/natural send off for him. It's mediocre at best and plagued with odd touches that negatively distract from an already disappointing narrative. Craig deserves a better send off than that - the same way Brosnan deserved a better final film than Die Another Day.

you can't always get what you want